Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JRC Watson Special

JRC Watson Special

This holster deserves its own thread.

This is an extremely minimalist approach to aiwb. With its limited wedge and yaw pad, I think it is functionally similar to the George, but to me more comfortable because it's leather.

As shipped the ride height is pretty extreme. I have a half inch of clearance to my knuckles. This results in some butt print. This is fine in Texas, but Jim is making me some extra wedgy bits for the refined sensitivity of Kansas City. The ride height makes it very comfortable in the muzzle area.

I find myself centering it more than anticipated because of the printing.

Retention is good, but unlike other jrc holsters (I guess I've bought about seven?) it did not require break in.

The thumb safety is not forced on by insertion in the holster, and will push the Guard aside, but the safety cannot be disengaged while holstered. The mag release is easy to hit on purpose, which I prefer.

It is inherently a fast holster. I have to slow down enough to sweep onto the butt rather than just slamming my and down so I don't get caught on top of the tang; and it's still fast.

https://youtu.be/NJLmf7MJYjc

I will be ordering one shortly for a commander. I will probably seek to drop the ride height by 1/4", seek some negative cant, and see if we can get a little more defined on the safety.
    Last edited by JAD; 02-28-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I'm on the list, so I hope to post here in time for my birthday in May. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Glorious!

Re ride height, I tend to be counter-conventional wisdom and prefer pretty dang low ride heights for the improved concealment and security. It does slow a draw a bit but I have never found it hurt getting a good master grip. I reject the idea that one MUST have the full grip with fingers encircling the grip completely before starting the draw.

I think it was on a thread a year or so ago that was about AIWB safety where Mr. White presented video using a laser or a SIRT to illustrate what body parts may be flagged in one draw method or another. Someone with a sharp eye commented that he was still securing his master grip when the pistol was moving upwards.

Drawing a G26 with the flat basepad mag provides the proof that reliable draws are possible without every finger fully encircling the grip. So why must a full size be any different?
    Last edited by JHC; 02-28-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JRC's work is fantastic, and this newer holster design looks pretty righteous. I, too, would prefer to have it ride a bit lower----I'd been running my CDA AIWB for almost a year at the highest height but decided to move it down to the next rung and found it concealed far more cleanly without giving up any measurable degree of access to the grip.

P.S. Nice watch, OP. Mid Pilot? I've been enjoying mine quite a bit.

I've been looking at this holster for awhile now. So I have future plans to carry a 226 and I'm leaning toward leather anyway. Maybe I should just go ahead and order one up.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Glorious! Re ride height, I tend to be counter-conventional wisdom and prefer pretty dang low ride heights for the improved concealment and security.
    Yup, I wouldn't mind it if it was a bit lower. We didn't talk about it when I ordered but Jim is taking care of me with the extra wedgy bits.

I disagree with you about the full grip in holster. A lot. I have thrown guns at the target, though, and remember I'm working with circus people hands.

What is interesting to me is how much more comfortable the gun is at the muzzle end than my other P35 AIWB, a shaggy. It's almost as comfortable as my P30... because, duh, it's that much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I, too, would prefer to have it ride a bit lower.
    -- I'd suggest, gun dependant, "a quarter inch lower than Diller's." JRC should be able to work with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    P.S. Nice watch, OP. Mid Pilot? I've been enjoying mine quite a bit.
    --Yup. My core group of friends bought them for each other for birthday gifts over the course of a year. My vote was for IWCs, but I'm pretty happy with the maratac.

I have several different ways to go on ride height. I currently have an order for an extremely low riding unit, which I am personally fond of myself. Thing is, it is all custom to some degree. I am working on one at the moment that has been modified to accept a CDA style belt loop. Every pistol type is going to ride differently height wise, so I will try to accommodate by altering the reinforcement area.

On the locking shield, No actually having an HP with the extended safety, I had to make a somewhat educated guess on how safety/shield fit would ride.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Yup, I wouldn't mind it if it was a bit lower. We didn't talk about it when I ordered but Jim is taking care of me with the extra wedgy bits.

I disagree with you about the full grip in holster. A lot. I have thrown guns at the target, though, and remember I'm working with circus people hands.

What is interesting to me is how much more comfortable the gun is at the muzzle end than my other P35 AIWB, a shaggy. It's almost as comfortable as my P30... because, duh, it's that much higher.
    I only threw guns when I used to apply the Bill Jordan style circular scoop draw. Mostly threw my K-38. I was fast though, when it worked.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-28-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I've been looking at this holster for awhile now. So I have future plans to carry a 226 and I'm leaning toward leather anyway. Maybe I should just go ahead and order one up.
    Please review if you do. I am 100% that this will be an ass kicking Commander holster, but I am nervous about my G17's caboose printing; it goes away with a wing claw but I'm not sure this design is up to keeping a big double-column down. If it'll hide a 226, it will be good to go.

Matter of fact, come up to mill creek (probably just an 8 hour drive for you) and let's shoot when it comes in.

User Tag List