Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A small slice of Correct Vehicle Tactics

A small slice of Correct Vehicle Tactics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENzsMCSYcw

Some of you probably already saw this, but I just found it. I don't know Shrek, but everything he talks about in this video is stuff I learned over 20 years ago and have been doing ever since. It is good solid stuff, grounded in reality. I was particularly happy to see him talk about the seatbelt. WAY too many cops and jr. commandos seem to get it backwards. Enjoy.

Nice! Thanks for sharing it.

Good stuff!

As a side note, I don't see ear pro - his hearing must already be toast from his career. I've shot inside a car with ear pro and it was less than comfortable.

Site Supporter
    He did a good job concisely explaining why carrying a gun under your leg while driving is dumb. Not only will it fly around in a serious crash, but it can also slide onto the floor and behind a pedal and impede your ability to brake or accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    He did a good job concisely explaining why carrying a gun under your leg while driving is dumb. Not only will it fly around in a serious crash, but it can also slide onto the floor and behind a pedal and impede your ability to brake or accelerate.
    I drive with a gun under my leg all the time.....key being "a" gun, not my primary that remains holstered. My entire cop career I always had access to a pistol (and usually a hig capacity 9mm) in the car that was my go to for in vehicle contacts and a primary if in a rolling fight, which left my primary holstered pistol secure for a later debark if needed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Like DB noted, "a" gun under the leg is fine (another thing I got from guys at that Metro police dept), not "the" gun.

While he showed a wee bit different way on handling the seatbelt, the important part was that he strongly encouraged the use of the seatbelt. Solid video, good info. Thanks SLG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I drive with a gun under my leg all the time.....key being "a" gun, not my primary that remains holstered. My entire cop career I always had access to a pistol (and usually a hig capacity 9mm) in the car that was my go to for in vehicle contacts and a primary if in a rolling fight, which left my primary holstered pistol secure for a later debark if needed.
    What happened to that pistol when you had to leave the car quickly and unexpectedly?

What about the gun sliding/flying around in a crash? Were you ever in a big rollover wreck? Things inside the car tend to end up in odd places, and I'd wager that the likelihood of a crash is greater than the need for a separate gun as you describe.

Site Supporter
    I met McPhee at a gun store, seemed like a nice guy.

I think it's all risk factors and totality of the circumstances. We know what happened to the FBI guy and hose loose gun in Miami, but if that has been just a back up and not his primary things might have been different . So while it may be foolish to carry your one gun off body , I can see Dagga's reasoning.

What happened to that pistol when you had to leave the car quickly and unexpectedly?

What about the gun sliding/flying around in a crash? Were you ever in a big rollover wreck? Things inside the car tend to end up in odd places, and I'd wager that the likelihood of a crash is greater than the need for a separate gun as you describe.
    The amount of unknown contacts I dealt with, with that gun was far more than the wrecks. I would have been far more endangered by the flying war bag, computer installed by idiots, etc. The big crash I was in I suffered significant injury from the shotgun that stopped my head moving, so I get it, but the gun under my leg was far from an issue. I am a big believer in keeping things from between your face and the airbag......those things will ruin your day. Seat belts....total no brainer and I am, and always have been a vocal advocate, which is also why I like dedicated additional guns in the vehicle that are easily accessed without fighting the belt in high threat areas.

Like Angus, I was schooled from day one of FTO training where I worked that if anybody approached my unit to ask me anything, that discussion took place with me having a gun ready to go under the window sill. Did it likely violate a bunch of safety rules that I may not do today.....yes. Old habits die hard and often when going to crap areas I will still have a revolver under my leg.

One of the best officer involved shootings we ever had where a ton of learning occurred on a variety of subjects involved a guy who was a highly experienced Vietnam Combat vet who retired out of a high speed surveillance unit at LAPD working prison gang members and outlaw MC gangs to come to my place as a retirement job. He did a masterful Job of smoking a psychopath using his under the leg Smith &Wesson auto pistol (also his off duty) deployed from under the leg as it was far more accessible than the 6" N frame on his duty belt. Much of this comes from different experiences. I really like John McPhee (my call sign in Air Support was also Shrek....how could I not like another full size dude named Shrek). I liked the video, and the information. With that said, I was simply pointing out that here in the US of A, driving around with a carbine shoved between the seats is not common. For LE in the region I worked, a handgun under the leg was and proved to be very useful. I found it a little funny about never having an unholstered handgun in the car (and fully agree it should not be THE handgun), yet a fully "unholstered" carbine is a good idea and even had tips on how to set up that unsecured carbine.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-12-2016 at 06:38 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Rolling around the 'hood at alley creep speeds...I'd suggest the odds of a gunfight are more than a crash. There are times and areas I've driven when a gun in my hand. On the interstate? Not so much. Context is everything.

User Tag List