Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zorn Skinny Rig Holster

Zorn Skinny Rig Holster

FYI: I have no affiliation with this company.

A couple people on here mentioned they liked the Zorn Skinny Rig. Being that they are a local shop for me (Mesa, AZ), have a quick ship option, and offer the exact holster design I was looking for, I decided to give them a try. I just received the holster so here are my first impressions.

Nate at Zorn is great to work with. I placed my order online on a Sunday, the next day we spoke because I wanted him to make some minor changes to the holster and he was more than happy to do so. I needed a very discrete, quick on/off holster so I went with the Skinny Rig with the Skinny Wing. Instead of the normal sized G43 wing I had him up the size to a G19 wing figuring if it was too big I'd break out the Dremel and reduced it. As the week went on I got automated emails from Zorn informing me of the status of my holster they ranged from in production, to final fit and finish, to shipped. The holster shipped on Saturday and was at my door on Monday. Nate even went as far as offering to bring the holster to me on Saturday so I would get it faster.

The holster itself is very comfortable. I wore it around the house last night for a few hours and on the 40 minute drive to work this morning barely noticing it was there. The ride height is adjustable, I have it set to the highest possible setting which allows for a full firing grip. The retention is ridiculous. I actually had to loosen it some because my pants would end up way over my bellybutton after every draw. However even after loosening the retention I can hold the holster upside down and shake it pretty hard without the fully loaded gun moving at all.

The wing does an awesome job of tucking the grip. I was thinking of reducing it but I might leave it the way it is just in case I decide to go with a bigger +2 mag extension, I will however be add a wedge to help tuck the gun more vertically. One thing I wasn't expecting but is a pleasant surprise is this holster allows you to tuck your shirt in. Due to the way the clip is oriented you can get about 2 to 3 inches of shirt tucked. Zorn uses a single nylon clip that seems to be very robust I don't think I will have a problem with it but if I do the holster has a lifetime guarantee and a 45 day try out period. All and all I am very happy. I've only had the holster a very short time so after I wear it for a month I will post an update, I just wanted to give whoever might be looking for a holster a heads up.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 06-14-2016 at 09:10 AM.

This mirrors my experience with the Skinny Rig & wing I recently acquired for an M&P Shield. I also added a foam wedge to mine.

Very impressed with the Zorn company and this holster.

Is it kydex or something else?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post

It is kydex still, based on the appearance, just a different texture.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post

Website says they do Kydex and Boltaron holsters. This feels like Kydex to me.

Attached Images Attached Images    

I've actually been using these holsters since the company evolved.
    My experiences are with the Skinny Rig only, but it's a slim, well made holster that works perfect for AIWB.
    I was able to be a 'test subject' just before he intro'd the wing,and after realizing I had installed it wrong (duh) , it's worked great on a G26 holster.
    ...So well in fact, I just received one for my G17, with the wing.
    It truly allows me to hide that full size gun under a tucked T shirt, and when wearing an untucked, you cannot tell I have it on.
    I went with the the 1.75" adjustable clip. Super secure on my Wilderness instructor.
    Here it is tucked:

Name:  20160608_162152.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  60.3 KB

a thickness comparison to a Shaggy:

Name:  sizecomp17.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  20.0 KB

and the thinness:

Name:  20160608_074255.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  52.9 KB

While I do love the stealthy Shaggy, for my purposes, the Skinny rig works best, for me, to hide the 17 in the summer months.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I've actually been using these holsters since the company evolved.
    My experiences are with the Skinny Rig only, but it's a slim, well made holster that works perfect for AIWB.
    I was able to be a 'test subject' just before he intro'd the wing,and after realizing I had installed it wrong (duh) , it's worked great on a G26 holster.
    ...So well in fact, I just received one for my G17, with the wing.
    It truly allows me to hide that full size gun under a tucked T shirt, and when wearing an untucked, you cannot tell I have it on.
    I went with the the 1.75" adjustable clip. Super secure on my Wilderness instructor.
    Here it is tucked:

a thickness comparison to a Shaggy:

and the thinness:

While I do love the stealthy Shaggy, for my purposes, the Skinny rig works best, for me, to hide the 17 in the summer months.
    All that and a 5 day lead time! Contrary to popular belief you can have quality in a decent time frame.

Not to sound like the hype guy for Zorn, but for those interested, a pictures of the wing.
    It is Kydex, and is not the thinner stuff, but I believe that it is made from the .95 stuff

Name:  17zwing.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  17zwing2.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  23.6 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Not to sound like the hype guy for Zorn, but for those interested, a pictures of the wing.
    It is Kydex, and is not the thinner stuff, but I believe that it is made from the .95 stuff

Name:  17zwing.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  17zwing2.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  23.6 KB
    I put a pair of calipers on it and you are correct.

User Tag List