Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Glock pistols shoot left, and if so, why

Do Glock pistols shoot left, and if so, why

Mr_White and I had the start of a detailed discussion of this topic, and we agreed to take it on-line with a new thread:

Understanding that individual firearms have variability, do Glock pistols as a platform, shoot left more so than other platforms, for reasons related to design, manufacturing tolerances, the human interface, or other reasons?

Discuss.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I assume you mean "left, given a right handed shooter." I don't think they shoot "left" as a class, but even though I carry them, they shoot "left" for me because I don't usually get quite enough finger onto the trigger. Other pistols, with a different LOP for me, such as 92FS, I don't pull left (i.e., in). I know Glocks don't shoot "left" because when I shoot them left handed, they shoot neutral or "right."

I am a lefty. Glocks do not shoot left for me. Using an assortment of other pistols such as a CZ P07 and HK VP9 to compare them to, they don't shoot to the right either.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Human interface, largely trigger-finger making contact with the frame in my case. I have big hands and a high natural grip which puts my trigger finger at perhaps a more severe angle than most. If I adopt the usual ideal trigger finger placement on a Glock, the top of my trigger finger makes contact with the frame. When working the trigger at speed I get a little bit of leftward push. Working against a dead trigger as instructed by Bob Vogel at his class a couple of years ago showed me that I was indeed pushing the gun left right at the last bit of trigger movement. I thought my sights were off and was about to break out my sight pusher when that drill came up.

To get around that I actually have to place the very tip of my trigger finger right on the Glock's trigger button instead of using the usual placement. I also have to make contact with the trigger as low down on it as possible so that the bottom edge of my trigger finger actually drags along the trigger guard as I pull through the trigger's movement.

The combination of doing all that prevents any lateral push during the trigger pull...but I don't always achieve all of that if I'm doing something at speed.

It's not something I really noticed prior to working against a dead trigger. I had plenty of training and experience prior to that and it was invisible to me until that specific drill, which caused me to do a deep dive on exactly why it was happening in my hands. I'm not the smartest guy in the room but I'm not the dumbest either...I'm betting that if I could miss such a detail for such a long time that others can as well.

I do not experience this phenomenon with any other semi-auto I have ever owned or used.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 06-17-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    3/15/2016

I shoot left handed and for a long time, autos all shot to the right for me. I set all my rear sights a little left. Eventually, I figured out trigger control and now they all shoot straight with the sights dead center. Now if I could still see...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Polymer guns have always had a decided leftward bias. P30, PX4, 2022, M&P,and Glock I have shot them all and all had a left bias. The Glock had the most leftward bias. I have drifted sights to the right all the way to the right ledge and was able to get the Glock to group about as leftward as the other polymer pistols. In my experience this is a possible sight issue with the pistol, just based on my experience. It could be aplatform clash with my hand too though.

Metal guns that I've shot extensively (92, 1911) do not have a hint of leftward bias. The 92 in particular, I have several copies from different years and they have all been the exactly the same in sighting.

Fixer, when you shoot left handed, what is observed?

All Glocks have a tendency to shoot a little left for me. I don’t see it in other pistols just Glocks.

TCinVA: I like the idea. I think it's more feasible for me than retraining myself to force more finger into the trigger guard.

I've been shooting Beretta's almost exclusively for the last year. At a course a few months ago, I decided to spend a few hours with my trusty Gen 3 G17.

I shot it well, but to my surprise, I was shooting it a little left. I hadn't had that issue when I was exclusively shooting Glocks. My self assessment was that I learned to bury my trigger finger a little deeper to address the DA/SA trigger of my Beretta. I didn't take nearly as much trigger when I shot my Glock, and the Glock did not like my new trigger finger position. Once I recognized my problem, and went back to my old Glock finger position, the issues went away.

I tend to think the is not a software issue because I shoot my Beretta's just fine. As TCinVA pointed out, Glocks seem to be more sensitive to trigger finger position in my opinion.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 06-18-2015 at 07:36 AM.

User Tag List