View Poll Results: CCW: Shield or P30SK or Something Else?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shield

31 29.52%
  • P30SK

37 35.24%
  • Something Else

37 35.24%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield or P30 SK or something else?

Shield or P30 SK or something else?

Looking for guidance / suggestions on a 9mm CCW.

I currently have a 9mm M&P FS and a HK VP9 for SD, range and training use.

I would like to acquire a future compact / smaller 9mm for CCW. I've looked at and like both the Shield in 9mm and the HK P30 SK LEM. Thing is, I don't have huge experience in CCW to make a choice, or know whether I am overlooking a good option.

Any thoughts on the Shield vs. P30SK vs. ?

My current plan is to find a range, shoot them both and pick the one I do better with. Most likely the M&P FS will go to fund the purchase of a new CCW.

I like staying with HK, I really like how the VP9 shoots. Because I'm so familiar with my FS9, I'd also be comfortable with a Shield.

Thoughts?

I think the Walter PPS makes a good smaller, flatter option to go along with the VP9.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Looking for guidance / suggestions on a 9mm CCW.

I currently have a 9mm M&P FS and a HK VP9 for SD, range and training use.

I would like to acquire a future compact / smaller 9mm for CCW. I've looked at and like both the Shield in 9mm and the HK P30 SK LEM. Thing is, I don't have huge experience in CCW to make a choice, or know whether I am overlooking a good option.

Any thoughts on the Shield vs. P30SK vs. ?

My current plan is to find a range, shoot them both and pick the one I do better with. Most likely the M&P FS will go to fund the purchase of a new CCW.

I like staying with HK, I really like how the VP9 shoots. Because I'm so familiar with my FS9, I'd also be comfortable with a Shield.

Thoughts?
    whatever your choice, I would try to pick something that mirrors your main training/house gun. For me that combo is going to be the G19 and G43. G19 will get carried whenever possible and the G43 will fill the roll in NPE or when its obnoxiously hot out. That way everything is similar, from carry position to the sights and trigger on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I think the Walter PPS makes a good smaller, flatter option to go along with the VP9.
    that's an awesome point. That would be my suggestion as well

P30SK! My sample has a better trigger than my full sized P30V1's that have thousands of rounds. My P30SK is breaking at 4.75 out of the box.

If you're sticking with the VP9 and ditching the M&P, I'd recommend going all-in on paddle mag release guns. HK P30SK, Walther PPS, or Walther P99c would be my list for small carry guns of that type. That way you don't confuse yourself and go for the button instead of the paddle or vice versa. The PPS and P30SK LEM are probably the two best choices there, as they'd completely mimic the VP9's manual of arms - paddles and a consistent trigger. If you don't mind DA/SA, the P99c is a great option too, but it does have two (well, sort of three) different trigger pulls.

If you want something thin, PPS. P30SK would be cool but if your primary range gun is the VP9 I'd just wait for the inevitable VP9SK.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I would try to stay somewhat related with your platforms.

I would love to have a P2000sk or P30sk.....but I wouldn't get them unless my daily carry was also a DA/SA.

Since you're heavily invested into SFA pistols.....I'd stay that way for a gun that will naturally spend even less time training with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you're going to stick with a SF for your primary defensive and training gun, I'd second the idea of a CCW being the same. The LEM is NOT anything like the VP9. I have a P30 LEM and its night and day different from the VP9. I'm sure for many here who shoot much more than me wouldn't have an issue with the repeated transition from LEM to SF; I'm not that good though.

Why not just carry the VP9? I have no problem concealing it as an EDC gun. The only time the G42 makes an appearance is when I'm in gym shorts or a suit that requires a tucked shirt.

I like the Shield. I have shot it a lot. I am not an H&K fan. I have shot them, don't care for them.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill
    C.A. P.C. 832

User Tag List