Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Shot Leather SME; An experiment in some fine tuning

5 Shot Leather SME; An experiment in some fine tuning

I've been an SME owner since they were first released. With the initial knowledge of some of the individuals involved in designing, testing and vetting the holster prototypes, in addition to John's reputation for fine leatherwork, I jumped right on board at the first opportunity to buy one during the pre-order process.

I wore the original day-in and day-out for about a year and very much liked it. Comfort was good, fit and finish was excellent and concealment, even with a full-sized pistol (I carry a Sig 226) was top notch. That said, there were a few small things that I thought could make the design better for me personally.

The biggest issue with the original was that I was hitting my middle finger knuckle on the tucking wing because of a combination of limited clearance and my larger hand size (I wear XL gloves). It tended to create a tender spot on the knuckle during prolonged practice sessions and I felt like I couldn't get as good a full grip on the pistol in the holster as I like to; especially in combination with the SME's tendency to ride fairly low on the beltline. I think these factors may be why some have found the SME to be a touch slower than other AIWB holsters.

Clearance on the original:

Another small issue I had with the holster may be in part platform specific. John runs a double thickness piece of leather around the entire mouth of the holster. This aids in adding stiffness and in keeping the mouth of the holster open. On the Sig this double thickness portion runs right over the decocking lever which in turn creates an even more pronounced bulge or bump on the body side of the holster. I found this small area could cause some irritation during long carry sessions and I yearned for it to be more flush.

Body side protrusion:

One final item on my personal wish list was to have a full height sweat guard. I tend to carry without an undershirt typically and find that I prefer having material between the slide and my skin.

I contacted John directly via email about the possibility of making some modifications to my holster. I told him that I thought the SME in its current configuration was excellent but that with some small tweaks it could be the end-all be-all perfect solution for me. I emailed him the following picture:

We discussed the matter more by telephone and John eventually advised he thought the best solution was to fabricate a new custom version as opposed to modifying my current one.

Fast forward a couple months and the holster I received completely fulfilled my expectations. I've been wearing it virtually full time since receiving it seven or so months ago now and I can say it's significantly more comfortable on my body than the original. It retains all of the comfort and concealability while now providing more than enough clearance for my large-ish paws. The hotspot associated with the double thickness strip is gone and the full height sweat guard does everything I had hoped without at all compromising the structure of the holster's mouth. For me it has been a huge improvement.

Here are a couple pictures of the updated version when I first received it.

The added knuckle clearance:

Shortened reinforcement strip and full sweat guard:

To close and to provide kudos where they're due, John did a fantastic job of catering to my particular needs. He went above and beyond taking care of me despite being in the middle of a period when he was very busy. I really appreciate his willingness to branch out and experiment with my suggestions for improvement. I suspect he is still currently slammed with backorders and very well may bemoan this little mini review ;-) but it's overdue and I felt obligated to get it out there.

t

Interesting post. Well done.

I dont have as much carry experience as many here, especially concealed, but have found that small differences in holsters can make a big difference in how well they work.

Ive handled this rig, and if were to get another SME, Id want The Taadski model.

I really like my SME but for my body type it rides a little too low for me. I can't draw when seated because of the clearance of the belt. John is going to be sending out a higher riding belt loop so I'll see how that works.

It is my most comfortable AIWB holster. I imagine with a full sweat guard and these tweaks it would make it even more comfortable.

Interesting! No loss of concealability, taadski? I'm wearing mine now, with a g19 in it, and the top end of that wing is only part of the wing that is under my belt. I'm afraid with the shorter wing, it wouldn't tuck as well, especially with the g17...

John, I'd be willing to drop a few important tasks and test this modification for you to see if it works on Glocks.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Malamute, I agree. It's boggling how much effect super subtle little changes effect things.

Y, I know you usually don't like the full height sweat guards. Has that changed? Or do you think would you go without with one of these too?

Kev, I actually sent John an email re getting a pair of the the higher ride loops the other month. I haven't followed up with him yet 'cause I figured he was in the weeds. Plus I felt like I was pushing my luck a bit already with this project. ;-) I'd still like to try a pair though. With the new cut "wing", the limiting factor is now my knuckle hitting the belt itself. It's pretty minor though. I do wonder how much having it ride higher would effect the great concealment.

Mario, the new version hides as well as the original to my eye. I've still got the wing hitting a good half of my 1.5" belt. I can't promise this would be the same with the Glock version (as I understand it, some of that stuff is model/make specific) but with the Sig one, there's plenty still there to tuck 100%.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

Y, I know you usually don't like the full height sweat guards. Has that changed? Or do you think would you go without with one of these too?
    I was just chatting with Gabe about this. I still prefer short guards or no guards, but out of all full leather guards yours feels by far less intrusive to me.

Looks way nice, taadski. Nice review too!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I was thinking of having the knuckle clearance modded by John on my SME for my 229. Already has the full sweat guard. John, if youre reading this, let me know if it can be modded instead of making an entirely new holster.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Looks way nice, taadski. Nice review too!

Thanks, G, I appreciate it. John's work is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    I was thinking of having the knuckle clearance modded by John on my SME for my 229. Already has the full sweat guard. John, if youre reading this, let me know if it can be modded instead of making an entirely new holster.
    I can tell you that when I broached the subject with him, he mentioned that there would be (1), a problem with the finish not matching and (2) the holes from the initial threads showing, not matching, etc… Or something along those lines. My interpretation was that he really didn't like the idea of having one of his holsters out in the wild that way. IIRC.

t

User Tag List