PDA

View Full Version : M&P 2.0 Compact - S&W's G19 ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

HCM
09-07-2017, 07:12 PM
So apparently S&W is releasing the M&P 2.0 Compact. Unlike the original M&P Compact, this is supposed to be a 15 round, Glock 19 sized gun.

My understanding was this was developed as S&W's entry for the FBI and DHS/ICE pistol trials.

Up1911Fan
09-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Probably gonna end up with a pair of these. I've said for year's i'd buy it if the made it. Need's CTC grips.

gruntjim
09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
I tend to carry AIWB, and the manual safety variant looks very tempting for that application.

Can't help wondering what the accuracy at extended ranges is going to be like.

oldtexan
09-07-2017, 08:38 PM
HCM, please forgive my 63 yr old vision, but I can't read the item # for the 9mm version without thumb safety. Can you make it out?

alohadoug
09-07-2017, 08:51 PM
So is there a new magazine for this one? Aren't M&P compact mags 12 (in 9mm)?

GJM
09-07-2017, 08:51 PM
If these are accurate, a thumb safety model would be attractive for AIWB.

mmc45414
09-07-2017, 08:59 PM
OK, glad I had not yet pounced on a 2.0 just for the hell of it. This looks very nice...

M2CattleCo
09-07-2017, 09:01 PM
If they would have rolled this out with the 2.0 I wouldn't be shooting a Gen5 19.

gruntjim
09-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Another factor in Smith being attractive is the recent warranty service they rendered on my Shield 9.

I was an early adopter, and they upgraded me to the 2.0 trigger.

If they can maintain that level of service and support, this one is in the running.

Coal Train
09-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Good on them if it is actually Glock 19 sized.........

Beat Trash
09-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Will wait and see. But if the overall height is kept at 5" and it's accurate, I'll be picking up one. Or two, or a few...

HCM
09-07-2017, 09:25 PM
So is there a new magazine for this one? Aren't M&P compact mags 12 (in 9mm)?

Yes - a 15 round mag. It was developed for the FBI and DHS/ ICE pistol trials.

alohadoug
09-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Yes - a 15 round mag. It was developed for the FBI and DHS/ ICE pistol trials.

Thanks. It will be awhile till it is Mass Compliant and I'd still be stuck with 10 mags but maybe....

HCM
09-07-2017, 09:28 PM
HCM, please forgive my 63 yr old vision, but I can't read the item # for the 9mm version without thumb safety. Can you make it out?

Nephrology
09-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Okay, I am tempted. Especially if they sell for the low 400s I see the other M&Ps going for...

DamnYankee
09-07-2017, 09:29 PM
If this is truly G19 size I will be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOKNLOD
09-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Looks good. Wonder where the previous C-model fits in? It doesn't look like they've 2.0'd it. Is there still room for it between this and the shield? Will it become the "subcompact"?

newyork
09-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Hopefully see 10rd mags soon enough.

oldtexan
09-07-2017, 09:35 PM

Thanks.

kmanick
09-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Thanks. It will be awhile till it is Mass Compliant and I'd still be stuck with 10 mags but maybe....
it's great being in Mass isn't it? I just sold my 9C 1.0 to a close buddy who fell in love with it (and I don't blame him Greg Derr did a fantastic job on the trigger for me)
and I miss having a 9 in this "size". A G19 sized version will probably have a good chance at finding it's way into my hands.

RichY
09-07-2017, 10:33 PM
If it's as accurate and soft shooting as my wife's 2.0, I can see getting two or three! No Glock knuckle or btf, in a 19 size, ergonomic platform! The trigger on our 2.0 is about perfect for a high stress situation; far better than the original model!

09-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Darn it. Right when I decided to double down on the Glock 17.

Hot Sauce
09-07-2017, 11:40 PM
A decade later than this should have come out, but better late than never. Could well have been a "glock killer" back then. If it shoots like the compacts, it'll be a dream.

Default.mp3
09-07-2017, 11:45 PM
I've been told that the 2.0 Compacts will be G19 size rather than G26 size.Sup, bitches?

It does make it easier to make an M&P Roland Special facsimile.

Now we just need the VP9C. With a manual safety. And optic ready.

Moshjath
09-07-2017, 11:58 PM
If Smith and Wesson releases a CORE Optics Ready version of this M2.0 compact with a thumb safety, I'd definitely pick up one or three.

JM Campbell
09-08-2017, 12:01 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

MichaelD
09-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Probably gonna end up with a pair of these. I've said for year's i'd buy it if the made it. Need's CTC grips.I second the motion... or I will once I have the needed funds saved up.

Bucky
09-08-2017, 05:14 AM
With the popularity of the G19, I'm surprised it took this long. And yet, if not for the FBI trials, it's likely this still wouldn't be on the drawing board.

breakingtime91
09-08-2017, 05:32 AM
oh no.. The MP was my favorite striker when you got an accurate one but it didn't have size efficient carry package.. Now this. This is bad for me and my wandering mind when it comes to pistols

tcba_joe
09-08-2017, 05:43 AM
I have an M&P9FS but its been in disuse for a while. Since then I've gotten distracted by aftermarket Glocks.

I'd love to retravel the M&P road, and the M&P 2.0s in longlisde and now the midsize is making it more attractive, as are the price points.

MGW
09-08-2017, 06:08 AM
I don't have much confidence in Smith's ability to build something that's accurate over the long term. I live vicariously through others on this one until proven otherwise. There is so much I like about the M&P. I really want it to do well.

dwcopple
09-08-2017, 07:36 AM
$400 street price and release it while the mag/ammo/loader rebate is active and I'm a buyer...today!

TiroFijo
09-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Do you guys really consider changing "plattforms" every few months for minor improvements?

I'm a simpleton, and like tried things. If something works OK for me (and quite a few things do), I try to spend my time and money on ammo and practice instead of perpetually chasing hardware perfection.

SilentSc0rch
09-08-2017, 07:48 AM
This is bad for me and my wandering mind when it comes to pistols

My wandering mind was getting cozy with the CZ P10C, and then this happens...

CraigS
09-08-2017, 07:53 AM
I actually hope it isn't as large as a G19. I carry a 1.0 M&Pc and my wife has a G19. Hers is in a special purse so works OK. I prefer mine though as it is just enough smaller to make hip carry in my Crossbreed easier..Crap I just went back the screen shot and see it's a 4 in barrel and 15 rnds. Definitely larger than my 1.0. Kind of crazy to me. The standard M&P9 2.0 is 15 rnds and 4.25 barrel
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-15-rds
So the compact is 1/4 inch shorter? Huh?Why bother?

john c
09-08-2017, 08:15 AM
I actually hope it isn't as large as a G19. I carry a 1.0 M&Pc and my wife has a G19. Hers is in a special purse so works OK. I prefer mine though as it is just enough smaller to make hip carry in my Crossbreed easier..Crap I just went back the screen shot and see it's a 4 in barrel and 15 rnds. Definitely larger than my 1.0. Kind of crazy to me. The standard M&P9 2.0 is 15 rnds and 4.25 barrel
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-15-rds
So the compact is 1/4 inch shorter? Huh?Why bother?

Just to point out, the standard M&P 2.0 9mm actually holds 17 rounds. Thus the new compact with 15 rounds in the stack is a little shorter in the grip, just like the G19 vs G17.

john c
09-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Do you guys really consider changing "plattforms" every few months for minor improvements?

I'm a simpleton, and like tried things. If something works OK for me (and quite a few things do), I try to spend my time and money on ammo and practice instead of perpetually chasing hardware perfection.

Change platforms? No. But I am keenly interested in the new innovations flooding the market. I like to try them out for myself.

Moshjath
09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Personally, I'd like to see a quality American made pistol from an American company succeed. S&W went out of their way to support the shooting team I was on in college, from providing us with donated pistols to hosting the Joint Service Academy Combat Weapons Competition every year. They sponsor excellent shooters like Julie Golob who are real ambassadors for the shooting industry. I'd rather that my money goes to them rather than to Gaston's luxury horse ranch.

So I guess, yeah, I'm emotionally invested in seeing an inanimate tool making company succeed, but those are the reasons why for me.

TAZ
09-08-2017, 09:56 AM
These seem very interesting.

If they have fixed the accuracy issue these may be a hit. I'd love to see a USA based manufacturer succeed. CORE with a safety may end up coming home one day.

VT1032
09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Personally, I'd like to see a quality American made pistol from an American company succeed. S&W went out of their way to support the shooting team I was on in college, from providing us with donated pistols to hosting the Joint Service Academy Combat Weapons Competition every year. They sponsor excellent shooters like Julie Golob who are real ambassadors for the shooting industry. I'd rather that my money goes to them rather than to Gaston's luxury horse ranch.

So I guess, yeah, I'm emotionally invested in seeing an inanimate tool making company succeed, but those are the reasons why for me.

Coast Guard Academy?

Trukinjp13
09-08-2017, 10:03 AM
I am pretty happy for this to finally drop. Should be a good shooter!

Guerrero
09-08-2017, 10:07 AM
I don't mean to kick a hornet's nest, but does this mean people have forgiven S&W for their rolling over for the Clinton administration?

Robinson
09-08-2017, 10:17 AM
I don't mean to kick a hornet's nest, but does this mean people have forgiven S&W for their rolling over for the Clinton administration?

You mean the deal they made back when they were owned by a British parent company? And was then backed out of by the American company that bought them next?

S&W is under different ownership, Bill Ruger is dead, etc... Things change.

Yes the lock S&W puts on their revolvers is dumb, but so is blaming the current company for something they had nothing to do with.

Hot Sauce
09-08-2017, 10:26 AM
I don't mean to kick a hornet's nest, but does this mean people have forgiven S&W for their rolling over for the Clinton administration?Pretty sure this why the forum has a General Discussion section.

Moshjath
09-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Coast Guard Academy?

USMA. We had to shoot M9's and issued iron sighted M4's our first year, then we could shoot either a personally owned weapon or one of the team supplied Glocks or M&P's.

Guerrero
09-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure this why the forum has a General Discussion section.Point taken

Glockman9mm
09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
The days ahead may be a good time to buy smith stock. They are down 18 percent a share today on poor earnings from all the rebates. But this may be a huge sales maker for them like the shield was/is.

Trukinjp13
09-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Why is this not a bigger release? This is the gun they should have built from the start. I was leaning towards a g19.5 but this makes me think. I love the grip and ergos on the 2.0 so this should be sweet.

Hot Sauce
09-08-2017, 02:02 PM
I cannot wait... for some of you guys to beta test this for a year or two on my behalf.

Lon
09-08-2017, 02:08 PM
I'll be watching with interest. I do like the thumb safety versions for AIWB. I doubt it'll replace my P07, but still interested nonetheless.

ScotchMan
09-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Agree with what many have said, and it'll likely be G19.5 vs this for me 1-2 years down the road when both have been beta-tested. The lack of a SCD is regrettable, and possibly impossible due to it being a fully-tensioned striker, but the manual safeties on M&Ps are not bad. However the ergonomics are better for me; I like Glock, but find PPQ, VP9, etc twists too much in my hand under recoil due to the grip being round. I think the 2.0 is just about the right compromise of being comfortable to shoot while being uncomfortable enough to have the needed friction and angles to hang on to. I also find I can reach the magazine release on the M&P without breaking my grip which I can't do with my 19s. I like the steel magazines better for their improved ability to drop free. I like the trigger safety design better as I perceive that my finger stays in contact with the trigger more solidly than with a dingus. I too like carrying an American gun if it checks all the other boxes.

Due to recent events, I've taken a keen interest in the passive safety mechanisms of striker guns, and have taken comfort in better understanding of the Safe Action in Glocks. Given this is fully-tensioned, is it as "good to go" in terms of drop safety as the Glock?

VT1032
09-08-2017, 02:46 PM
USMA. We had to shoot M9's and issued iron sighted M4's our first year, then we could shoot either a personally owned weapon or one of the team supplied Glocks or M&P's.

Gotcha. I was on the UVM team doing scholastic steel challenge. I don't think I ever shot against you guys, but definitely against the Coast Guard team. S&W hooked them up, big time, that's why I was guessing that. They were actually really good sponsors to a whole bunch of college teams. For us, they let us work their indoor IDPA championships, setting up stages and whatnot, and in return we could make a one time purchase of as many guns as we wanted at 50% off MSRP. Lets just say a credit card got maxed out in one sitting my senior year...

dwcopple
09-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Brownells did an unboxing video on Youtube with size comparison to G19 and they are identical! He thinks the rebate will be good on this one too!!! I'm in.

Hot Sauce
09-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Agree with what many have said, and it'll likely be G19.5 vs this for me 1-2 years down the road when both have been beta-tested. The lack of a SCD is regrettable, and possibly impossible due to it being a fully-tensioned striker, but the manual safeties on M&Ps are not bad. However the ergonomics are better for me; I like Glock, but find PPQ, VP9, etc twists too much in my hand under recoil due to the grip being round. I think the 2.0 is just about the right compromise of being comfortable to shoot while being uncomfortable enough to have the needed friction and angles to hang on to. I also find I can reach the magazine release on the M&P without breaking my grip which I can't do with my 19s. I like the steel magazines better for their improved ability to drop free. I like the trigger safety design better as I perceive that my finger stays in contact with the trigger more solidly than with a dingus. I too like carrying an American gun if it checks all the other boxes.

Due to recent events, I've taken a keen interest in the passive safety mechanisms of striker guns, and have taken comfort in better understanding of the Safe Action in Glocks. Given this is fully-tensioned, is it as "good to go" in terms of drop safety as the Glock?I suspect this may depend, at least in some part, as to whether the TS is engaged or not at the time of impact.

masternave
09-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Here's the link, if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB4x9Q9xXfA

tcba_joe
09-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Looks identical in size to the G19. The only question I have on size now is how the undercut compares, which will determine grip-able surface.

camsdaddy
09-08-2017, 05:28 PM
I was considering adding another glock but this has encouraged me to hold on to my funds. Once this has been out a little while it may be my next purchase.

JHC
09-08-2017, 06:23 PM
With thumb safety; poor man's EDC X9 eh?

GJM
09-08-2017, 07:09 PM
I found a brand new set of M&P Trijicon HD sights in my miscellaneous box. I have been holding them until S&W fixes the M&P accuracy issues. Checked the date code and they still have some life left in them.

Never let a good set of sights go to waste.

Nephrology
09-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Will be VERY curious to see how well these guns perform at 25yd.

Sherman A. House DDS
09-08-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm looking forward to this!

I was an early adopter of the M&P 9. I was a G19 devotee until 2008, when I got my first M&P. They had just come on the scene. I liked the handling qualities, the reliability and the accuracy (believe it or not). 3 Gen 1 M&P's, a Pro 4.25" and now a 2.0 9mm (my EDC) and I'll definitely be adding these to the collection. Both my lady and I are M&P people; she EDC's the compact 9.

I have had nary an issue with >2500 trouble free rounds of various manufacture, including duty carry (115 +P+ GD's) in my 2.0. And my Gen 1 circa 2008 has gone 20k rounds with no issues.

Glocks might be what the cool kids carry, and if I had to carry one I would. But since I have a choice, I'll gladly carry the Smith, everywhere. When a FS is, "too much," gun, I carry a Shield. The lady too...although hers is the Julie Golob Performance Center edition.

I came into adulthood carrying Smith revolvers, and I still carry one as a BUG today. And as long as none of my stable of M&P's fall apart, I'll carry them until my departure. At this point I'm invested in the system, and while new pistols are cool, the infrastructure involved in getting a new one into circulation, is a Royal and expensive PITA. I just don't have the bandwidth for it...but this little sucker, 1:1 supplementation. Let's do this!

ER_STL
09-08-2017, 07:48 PM
If it proves accurate I'd definitely be interested. I was part of the "where's the 4" version" crowd when the original M&P first came out.

Hoping it works out...

CGA
09-08-2017, 07:56 PM
I found a brand new set of M&P Trijicon HD sights in my miscellaneous box. I have been holding them until S&W fixes the M&P accuracy issues. Checked the date code and they still have some life left in them.

Agreed. I just found a set of S&W Defoors in my box of stuff.

Wake27
09-08-2017, 07:58 PM
I like that S&W has recently started selling CORE kits through Brownells. As far as I know, the only way to add an MOS slide to your Glock is to buy one off of GB.

TheNewbie
09-08-2017, 07:58 PM

The music playing in the background reminds me of the background music in computer hunting games from the 90s.

The 2.0 series certainly has my interest, and this size of firearm truly balances everything one needs in a defensive package. It's nice to see a company putting out in demand products.

I wish S&W would release a Shield with a bigger thumb safety in order to make it easier to use.

Jared
09-08-2017, 08:13 PM
I'll admit right up front to having a bias on this, but I'd really like to see this gun, and the entire M&P 2.0 line succeed. I was all set to go fetch me a gen 5 G19 because, reasons. If this thing runs like a service pistol needs to and delivers the goods at 25, I'll be very interested. IIRC, the 1.0 compacts had less problems with grouping at distance than the FS correct?

The 2.0 full size with the 5" barrel gives me the wantsies too, because reasons, but I keep seeing reports of sub-par accuracy pop up here and there and it's a bummer. I'm just a little bit of a S&W fanboy and want them to make us a good semi auto.

MGW
09-08-2017, 08:22 PM
I cannot wait... for some of you guys to beta test this for a year or two on my behalf.

You know, if I can find one on blue label I might beta test it next to the Gen 5 17. Might be a fun comparison.

Nephrology
09-08-2017, 08:37 PM
My investment in Glock is too substantial to really switch oer 100% but if they don't pelt me in the head with brass...

newyork
09-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Man that thing looks good. Hanging in there to see what experiences come out after a while and see if 10rd mags arrive soon.

Trukinjp13
09-08-2017, 08:44 PM
I know some dudes are going to knock me for this. But I would be happy to have another American company/American built gun. I love my Beretta and CZ but I like my stuff American made. With Quality like it should be.

Fingers are crossed this shoots well. I would be happy with 3 inch 25 yard groups. I know that is not the best. But that is good enough for this dude.

Hot Sauce
09-08-2017, 09:29 PM
I hope to hell they tested the crap out of these things,and have good QC. Something I've seen from the multitude of M&Ps is inconsistency in build tolerances. I get super annoyed when I stumble across brand new ones with a non-positive thumb safety, for example. Like BTFing Glocks, I get pissy when somethings needs fixing straight from the box. Crossing fingers.

Between new Beretta, CZ and now S&W and Gen5 Glock offerings, it sounds like the industry is actually coming around to meeting the needs of striker gun market. If I have either Gadget or TS options and G19 sizes for all of those, that'd be frigging fantastic. There are going to be fewer and fewer excuses for being a shitty shot.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-08-2017, 09:41 PM
This has my attention

Nephrology
09-08-2017, 10:11 PM
But I would be happy to have another American company/American built gun.

I'm not gonna lie, as a CT native and an unapologetic Pats fan, a not insignificant motivation would be to carry (another) pistol that says "SPRINGFIELD, MA U.S.A." stamped on the slide.

Bigghoss
09-08-2017, 11:09 PM
I know some dudes are going to knock me for this. But I would be happy to have another American company/American built gun. I love my Beretta and CZ but I like my stuff American made. With Quality like it should be.

Fingers are crossed this shoots well. I would be happy with 3 inch 25 yard groups. I know that is not the best. But that is good enough for this dude.

Don't forget being able to use this line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61rEFiKDuBQ

or this one

https://youtu.be/hgFClV33aH0?t=54s

coN
09-09-2017, 01:03 AM
Dammit, here I was twiddling my thumbs ready to hock a G4 19 to fund a G5 19 (cause I despise the finger grooves on only the 19), and this comes around...

Not to mention I was also looking at a CZ P10C and possibly a G5 17 if I like the feel of the 19, and maybe hock a G4 17 n;pnpifven;nwqpoiqjhpoijngvijchn[qplpqliwqpoujmsa;lmn;...

ITS TOO MUCH!!! I CANT PROCESS ALL THIS!!! SO MANY THINGS I WANT, MAKING MY BRAIN MELT...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7aD4tRz2ZCUPTf1e/giphy.gif

Patrick Taylor
09-09-2017, 01:19 AM
I can see cutting down a gen1 4.25 FS pistol or two for the new mag length. I already own several of them and they have little to no resale value with the LE trade ins and 2.0s on the market.

mmc45414
09-09-2017, 08:07 AM
I can see cutting down a gen1 4.25 FS pistol or two for the new mag length. I already own several of them and they have little to no resale value with the LE trade ins and 2.0s on the market.Crap, I just cut one down to the 12 round mag. For once I woulda been better off procrastinating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mmc45414
09-09-2017, 08:47 AM

I have a set of TFOs that now I am glad I never installed.

Lon
09-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Crap, I just cut one down to the 12 round mag. For once I woulda been better off procrastinating.

Pics in a new thread please. That's intrigues me.

ranger
09-09-2017, 10:04 AM
First, I must point out that I have been a M&P fan all along and my EDC is a M&P FS 9mm "1.0" - I am amazed that this thread has not drifted into "M&P inaccurate" yet. Quantico already has these listed if you are LE or MIL. $429 iron sights and $479 night sights. $50 rebate for mil. And I was thinking about a Gen 5 G19 too before seeing this.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=6946&type=M&CMN=Smith%20and%20Wesson-%20LE/Military&CMNum=142&CMSNum=1646&CMSN=Pistols%20-%20M2.0%20Compact

Wake27
09-09-2017, 11:19 AM
First, I must point out that I have been a M&P fan all along and my EDC is a M&P FS 9mm "1.0" - I am amazed that this thread has not drifted into "M&P inaccurate" yet. Quantico already has these listed if you are LE or MIL. $429 iron sights and $479 night sights. $50 rebate for mil. And I was thinking about a Gen 5 G19 too before seeing this.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=6946&type=M&CMN=Smith%20and%20Wesson-%20LE/Military&CMNum=142&CMSNum=1646&CMSN=Pistols%20-%20M2.0%20Compact

You're saying there's a $50 rebate on the $429 price? I didn't see that mentioned on the site.

Erick Gelhaus
09-09-2017, 11:24 AM
With the 2.0s out and some time on them, I began looking at returning to the M&P platform. While I can now shoot a Gen 4 Glock decently, I have to work at it. Been spending sessions working Gen 4 guns vs a VP9 and M&P 1.0 (Test, Super Test, Bill drill, etc). The M&P (w/aftermarket bbl) was edging out the other two.

Have a 9mm 2.0 FS w/thumb safety on its way. Given the availability to get a thumb safety (no doubt a vestigle holdover from my 1911 decades) which the others lacks & I prefer for a duty gun, if it holds up in terms of function and doesn't require after-market barrels, I can easily see returning to the M&P on-duty.

The M&P9C 1.0 was clunky, the Shield was quite functional for its role and preceeded the 43. The 2.0 9C would be a rather useful addition - from my perspective.

GJM
09-09-2017, 11:28 AM
There was a lot to like about the M&P when it came out. The irony is, if S&W just had produced an accurate M&P 1.0 back then, the whole polymer landscape might look different now.

HCM
09-09-2017, 12:05 PM
There was a lot to like about the M&P when it came out. The irony is, if S&W just had produced an accurate M&P 1.0 back then, the whole polymer landscape might look different now.

Didn't LAV say something back then about how if S&W was willing to increase cost another $30 or $40 the M&P could have been a great gun ?

HCM
09-09-2017, 12:11 PM
With the 2.0s out and some time on them, I began looking at returning to the M&P platform. While I can now shoot a Gen 4 Glock decently, I have to work at it. Been spending sessions working Gen 4 guns vs a VP9 and M&P 1.0 (Test, Super Test, Bill drill, etc). The M&P (w/aftermarket bbl) was edging out the other two.

Have a 9mm 2.0 FS w/thumb safety on its way. Given the availability to get a thumb safety (no doubt a vestigle holdover from my 1911 decades) which the others lacks & I prefer for a duty gun, if it holds up in terms of function and doesn't require after-market barrels, I can easily see returning to the M&P on-duty.

The M&P9C 1.0 was clunky, the Shield was quite functional for its role and preceeded the 43. The 2.0 9C would be a rather useful addition - from my perspective.

"You have to work at it" is a great description of trying to shoot Glocks at a high level as they are quite unforgiving of grip and trigger issues.

I'm limited to Glocks and likely the SIG P320 via work for the next 10ish years but an M&P 2.0 Compact with a thumb safety would be a great compliment to a 1911 retirement gun.

MSparks909
09-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm not a M&P expert by any means but I'm gonna put my tinfoil hat on and assume that these new 2.0 Compact's use the existing 2.0 barrel...it's just 1/4" shorter. Same with the slide. I compared the frames and the full size utilizes 3 Picatinny rail slots and so does the compact. It appears S&W just shortened the slide and barrel 1/4". And obviously the grip, but the grip doesn't have any affect on barrel lockup. I hope I'm wrong, but doesn't seem to look that way. Interested to see accuracy reports when these get to users.

I say that last sentence because it still seems that some 2.0s exhibit accuracy issues whereas some guns are accurate; more of a luck of the draw thing similar to Glock Gen 5 BTF. Some have it, some don't.

Bratch
09-09-2017, 06:13 PM
I may have missed it but is there a date to expect these on dealer shelves?

BobM
09-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Soon I hope. I've been issued a M&P40 since 06 and like them. I was planning on getting more Glock 19s for carry guns post retirement but I shoot my M&Ps better. I most often carry a full size off duty but the G19 is a nearly perfect combination of size and capacity.

andre3k
09-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Okay, I am tempted. Especially if they sell for the low 400s I see the other M&Ps going for...Try mid 300's. I just picked up another 2.0 for 375 shipped. Great gun so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Willard
09-09-2017, 08:58 PM
IIRC, the 1.0 compacts had less problems with grouping at distance than the FS correct?

This was the story I recall. Really hoping this works out and is accurate. I would likely pick up a safety version if it does.

Zincwarrior
09-09-2017, 09:23 PM

Indeed, I want not acquire a first year run of any new model firearm.

BobM
09-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Indeed, I want not acquire a first year run of any new model firearm.

Ordinarily I would agree but my thought is that it is simply a variant of an existing design.

Zincwarrior
09-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Ordinarily I would agree but my thought is that it is simply a variant of an existing design.

Which itself is still new with reports of several issues to be addressed.
Edit: I am not being critical ( this size is ideal to me and I have three M & Ps now), just don't be a beta tester.

Willard
09-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Which itself is still new with reports of several issues to be addressed. I haven't researched the 2.0 exhaustively or followed other threads on same prior to announcement of this G19 size model. What are the issues with the 2.0? I am aware to potential accuracy issues in the 1.0, some extractor issues (thus the Apex), and people who didn't like the trigger. Are these the same with the 2.0 or different. Thanks!

Erick Gelhaus
09-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Which itself is still new with reports of several issues to be addressed.
Edit: I am not being critical ( this size is ideal to me and I have three M & Ps now), just don't be a beta tester.

What issues are you aware of , heard of, etc with the 2.0?

mmc45414
09-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Pics in a new thread please. That's intrigues me.I was looking for my pictures, but then remembered this thread:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D23189&share_tid=23189&share_fid=18787&share_type=t

Sometimes ya just gotta set down your beer and turn on the saw...

I need to get back and finish that, but I have been 1911 distracted latley.

RJ
09-10-2017, 09:18 AM
I loved shooting my M&P FS 1.0 after I had the Apex D/CAEK installed. I never warmed to the hinged trigger though.

Whether perceived or actual, the accuracy issue was what made me purchase a VP9 in 2015.

I think a 2.0 compact is a great idea. Whether it has issues or not, there will be some like me who are a bit skittish of giving S&W another try due to previous experiences.

I'm in the market for a compact 'one size fits all' Pistol, but I don't think it will be an M&P. I wish S&W well with the new gun though; we certainly are spoiled for choice these days with quite a few good options out there.

dwcopple
09-11-2017, 05:36 AM
I'm in the market for a compact 'one size fits all' Pistol, but I don't think it will be an M&P. even with a Apex polymer trigger shoe installed?

s0nspark
09-11-2017, 07:33 AM
I *really* like the grip texture on the M&P 2.0s...

The thumb safety appeals in theory, although on the 5" version I felt like it was in an awkward position for my hands and the engagement was not quite what I hoped for. I am quite picky about that though... most 1911s disappoint... :-/

98z28
09-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Inconsistent accuracy, quality control (missing parts), and extraction. I *love* how easy the M&P 2.0 is to shoot well...assuming you get one that runs and groups under 4" at 25 yards.

Here are a couple of old threads from a quick Google search (site:pistol-forum.com m&p 2.0):

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23773-2-0-range-day/page25

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23973-My-Blunt-First-Impression-of-the-SW-MP2-0/page5

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Zincwarrior
09-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Poor accuracy including previously accurate pistols losing that accuracy after 2,000 rounds, problems with the slide lock release lever (including chewing up the plastic).

Edit: again, as a S&W owner with five pistols of different type from them, I am hopeful these are just initial run items to be fixed, and am not rooting for them to have problems.

RJ
09-11-2017, 09:25 AM
even with a Apex polymer trigger shoe installed?

No. I want to shoot one gun in Production USPSA, as well as be my carry gun. The rules say no visible modifications, so an Apex trigger is out for me.

Kirk
09-11-2017, 11:24 AM
My one gripe with my 2.0: I hate the stock trigger shoe. Accuracy has been decent, but I may still install an APEX barrel in mine. I want 1 gun for carry, USPSA, and bullseye. The M&P with Apex parts/barrel gets pretty freaking close on that IMO.

Zincwarrior
09-11-2017, 11:33 AM
My one gripe with my 2.0: I hate the stock trigger shoe. Accuracy has been decent, but I may still install an APEX barrel in mine. I want 1 gun for carry, USPSA, and bullseye. The M&P with Apex parts/barrel gets pretty freaking close on that IMO.

Have you shot one with an Apex setup or information on the accuracy after it has been broken in? What are the results?

DallasBronco
09-11-2017, 12:07 PM
You're saying there's a $50 rebate on the $429 price? I didn't see that mentioned on the site.

Here's the link:
http://quanticotactical.com/sw/

WobblyPossum
09-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Here's the link:
http://quanticotactical.com/sw/

Can you get both the $50 rebate and the extra magazine and ammo rebate?

Kirk
09-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Have you shot one with an Apex setup or information on the accuracy after it has been broken in? What are the results?

Yep, my 1.0 5" went from 3" to about 1.5-1.75" with virtually all ammo. Didn't shoot it at 50, but I'd assume 4" groups would be very doable. Probably 3-3.5" with AA or ASYM. My barrel fit perfectly with no filing needed, hope the next one does.

Erick Gelhaus
09-11-2017, 01:33 PM
98z28 & ZincWarrior - Thank you for your experiences. Much appreciated.

DallasBronco
09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Can you get both the $50 rebate and the extra magazine and ammo rebate?

I don't see anything that says you can't. Were I getting one of these right now, I would certainly try. The gear rebate is open to all purchasers and the $50 is only for first responders.

Zincwarrior
09-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Yep, my 1.0 5" went from 3" to about 1.5-1.75" with virtually all ammo. Didn't shoot it at 50, but I'd assume 4" groups would be very doable. Probably 3-3.5" with AA or ASYM. My barrel fit perfectly with no filing needed, hope the next one does.

Thanks for your input Kirk! if you don't mind me asking:
1) Was the apex finicky about ammo? I have heard this about the Bar Sto barrels (my KKMs aren't, but they aren't smith fitted).
2) Did this accuracy hold after the pistol reached say 2,000 rounds?

Zincwarrior
09-11-2017, 02:30 PM
98z28 & ZincWarrior - Thank you for your experiences. Much appreciated.

As an additional note:
1) my old 1.0 M&P FS accuracy was absolutely horrible, to the point I didn't want to shoot it. This became especially apparent when I acquired an M&Pc which shot appreciably better at distance. I replaced the barrel with an aftermarket KKM and it was acceptably accurate (not as accurate as my Beretta 92). I subsequently acquired an M&PL and that pistol shot accurately, such that a KKm barrel I had ordered at the same time had no appreciable impact on accuracy. Apologies for not giving a detailed inc spread but once the pistol becomes more accurate than me then I am satisfied.

2) I haven't had to with my M&Ps but I sent in both my model 29 (so you can tell how long ago that was) and my Victory for work and both times the CS was quite good. I've generally heard good things about their CS for M&Ps as well.

Kirk
09-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks for your input Kirk! if you don't mind me asking:
1) Was the apex finicky about ammo? I have heard this about the Bar Sto barrels (my KKMs aren't, but they aren't smith fitted).
2) Did this accuracy hold after the pistol reached say 2,000 rounds?

My barrel was excellent with all ammo, although the higher end stuff (ASYM) was more accurate of course. I just had the semi-drop in, and lockup was perfect. I really believe that a high end bullseye shooter who knows how to handload for the long line at 50 could probably get 3" relatively easy. I know nothing of reloading myself so I was never able to try it lol.

I should also add that I had a 5" Pro that was absolutely the worst grouping gun ever (like 6-8", no joke... always 2 flyers out of 5). I dropped in a KKM and was getting 2.5" groups at 25 easily.

Erick Gelhaus
09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
As an additional note:
1) my old 1.0 M&P FS accuracy was absolutely horrible, to the point I didn't want to shoot it. This became especially apparent when I acquired an M&Pc which shot appreciably better at distance. I replaced the barrel with an aftermarket KKM and it was acceptably accurate (not as accurate as my Beretta 92). I subsequently acquired an M&PL and that pistol shot accurately, such that a KKm barrel I had ordered at the same time had no appreciable impact on accuracy. Apologies for not giving a detailed inc spread but once the pistol becomes more accurate than me then I am satisfied.

2) I haven't had to with my M&Ps but I sent in both my model 29 (so you can tell how long ago that was) and my Victory for work and both times the CS was quite good. I've generally heard good things about their CS for M&Ps as well.

I'm familiar with the reported 1.0 issues, none of the FS models or Pro exhibited issues to the point that I would not have carried them at work. That includes the two I bought, one that was given me by a member here (still in that guy's debt), and one I got fot teaching a class. I played with after-market barrels - one is pretty functional, the other gave me a kaboom from an unsupported case (remeniscent of early Glock .40cal issues). I guess I got the only three good ones.

#2 isn't processing for me but I work nights and haven't finished my coffee.

HCM
09-11-2017, 02:54 PM
I don't see anything that says you can't. Were I getting one of these right now, I would certainly try. The gear rebate is open to all purchasers and the $50 is only for first responders.

The $50 rebate you linked is only for .MIL including disabled vets and retirees.

rdtompki
09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
This thread ought to be marked NSFCA. Very depressing for those of us living behind the Kommiefornia Curtain.

Zincwarrior
09-11-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm familiar with the reported 1.0 issues, none of the FS models or Pro exhibited issues to the point that I would not have carried them at work. That includes the two I bought, one that was given me by a member here (still in that guy's debt), and one I got fot teaching a class. I played with after-market barrels - one is pretty functional, the other gave me a kaboom from an unsupported case (remeniscent of early Glock .40cal issues). I guess I got the only three good ones.

#2 isn't processing for me but I work nights and haven't finished my coffee.

Sorry I meant to say their customer service was always excellent.

DallasBronco
09-11-2017, 03:27 PM
The $50 rebate you linked is only for .MIL including disabled vets and retirees.
The link I posted was from Quantico Tactical's website. You may wish to check S&W's website for more details. I'm a .mil guy, so that's how I've always qualified for these and believed it to include anyone designated a First Responder. Perhaps I am in error on that.

Up1911Fan
09-13-2017, 10:52 AM
I just pre ordered one, not sure on when they'll actually ship.

ca survivor
09-13-2017, 03:50 PM
You mean the deal they made back when they were owned by a British parent company? And was then backed out of by the American company that bought them next?

S&W is under different ownership, Bill Ruger is dead, etc... Things change.

Yes the lock S&W puts on their revolvers is dumb, but so is blaming the current company for something they had nothing to do with.

S&W still putting the locks in the revolvers, correct ?

Up1911Fan
09-14-2017, 12:18 AM
I was disappointed that the CTC Lasergrips for the M&P supposedly don't fit the 2.0 and there aren't plans to offer them. This would apply to the full size models. Hopefully they come out with one for them and the compact.

Bucky
09-14-2017, 04:45 AM
I was disappointed that the CTC Lasergrips for the M&P supposedly don't fit the 2.0 and there aren't plans to offer them. This would apply to the full size models. Hopefully they come out with one for them and the compact.

Didn't S&W buy CTC? I can't imagine them not offering them eventually.

Robinson
09-14-2017, 07:45 AM
S&W still putting the locks in the revolvers, correct ?

Correct. Of course, the lock has absolutely nothing to do with the "deal" mentioned earlier. The lock is annoying, but is not part of a larger betrayal of the American gun owner.

Irelander
09-14-2017, 08:43 AM
https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/glocks-secret-recipe-unveiled-smith-wesson/

Don't think size is the only factor here but it doesn't hurt. I won't be much interested in the 2.0 Compact due to the fully tensioned striker and no SCD, but I do hope it is a successful pistol.

ILED93
09-17-2017, 08:56 AM
I was considering adding another glock but this has encouraged me to hold on to my funds. Once this has been out a little while it may be my next purchase.

I'm in the same boat. I was going to take a good look at the G19-5, but this makes me reconsider.

Patrick Taylor
09-20-2017, 12:47 AM

Gen 3 G19 versus original M&P FS

Grip chop to the new mag length is going to be really close to a G19 sized pistol.

octagon
09-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Gen 3 G19 versus original M&P FS

Grip chop to the new mag length is going to be really close to a G19 sized pistol.

Interesting idea of the grip chop. Can that be done reasonably on the M&P with the replaceable back strap securing method they use? I don't have a M&P to check it out but from memory I thought the system to secure backstraps came down to the lowest point at the rear of the grip.

mmc45414
09-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Interesting idea of the grip chop. Can that be done reasonably on the M&P with the replaceable back strap securing method they use? I don't have a M&P to check it out but from memory I thought the system to secure backstraps came down to the lowest point at the rear of the grip.
I am about 3/4 of the way through doing mine, and the back strap will not be interchangeable. I will have to cut off and glue the pin in.

octagon
09-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks for clarifying. I hope you will share some pictures when you finish.

mmc45414
09-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I hope you will share some pictures when you finish.
Here is the in process post:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23189-Sometimes-ya-just-gotta-set-down-your-beer-and-turn-on-the-saw

I was searching for a glue that would be somewhat color matched, and I think JB Quickweld will be black enough. Just the project stalled a little, but it will be winter soon enough :)

lazarus long
09-22-2017, 07:57 PM
FYI - Brownells is now showing the slick side M&P 2.0 Compact in stock in 9mm and .40.
http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=M%26P+compact+2.0&ksubmit=y

Up1911Fan
09-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Hoping my pre-order ships soon.

TheNewbie
09-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Is it possible to do a left side only safety on an M&P?

Up1911Fan
09-22-2017, 11:03 PM

I don't see why you couldn't cut the right side lever off and add the frame fill in tab thing, not the technical term.

idahojess
09-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Looks like Smith has these on their website now.
I see that they also have a 15 round 4.25 version (as opposed to a 17 round), but the specs don't say what the height is.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms#/?series=163

I like what they are doing, but I like the size of my old compact (3.5, 12 rounds), and I am looking forward to that remodel.

HCM
09-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Looks like Smith has these on their website now.
I see that they also have a 15 round 4.25 version (as opposed to a 17 round), but the specs don't say what the height is.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms#/?series=163

I like what they are doing, but I like the size of my old compact (3.5, 12 rounds), and I am looking forward to that remodel.

That is an M&P FS with the magazines limited to 15 round capacity instead of 17 to comply with states like NJ and CO.

Magsz
09-23-2017, 12:22 AM

Yep, stupid easy modification.

Take a dremel to the right side safety lever (with the safety out of the gun of course) and you've got a modified safety in minutes.

Patrick Taylor
09-23-2017, 01:01 AM

Sure is....I have one with the ambi safety lever cut off. I cut and formed what was left of the tab to fit a notch I cut in the slide. It now locks the slide when the safety is engaged like a 1911.

HCountyGuy
09-23-2017, 07:01 AM
How have the current 2.0 9mms been holding up accuracy-wise?

If S&W un-fucked their 1.0 accuracy issues I could see picking one of these up.

Kirk
09-23-2017, 10:09 AM
How have the current 2.0 9mms been holding up accuracy-wise?

If S&W un-fucked their 1.0 accuracy issues I could see picking one of these up.

2" groups at 25 out of mine repeatedly. Can't seem to get any better than that, but it may be that my ammo is a limiting factor (Blazer Brass 115). Haven't shot any AA or ASYM yet. Frank Proctor is loving his, too. Says his is very accurate.

Trukinjp13
09-23-2017, 11:25 AM
2" groups at 25 out of mine repeatedly. Can't seem to get any better than that, but it may be that my ammo is a limiting factor (Blazer Brass 115). Haven't shot any AA or ASYM yet. Frank Proctor is loving his, too. Says his is very accurate.

2 inches is pretty damn good considering.

Brianjkeene
09-24-2017, 04:36 PM
FYI, Keeley Arms has 7 available at $425 Shipped

Sherman A. House DDS
09-25-2017, 11:41 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/1656dfbc20b6c96d42ab5340420d43c2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170925/e43aff58cbc1f3893bb517874bf54df6.jpg

Gadfly
09-25-2017, 12:05 PM
I shot the 2.0 compact last week in 9 and .40, as well at the full size 2.0 in .45...

Initial impressions? I owned a 1.0 in .40, just never did like it. added apex parts and the trigger was still mush. The 2.0 is MUCH better in the trigger department. the compacts are no exception. The 9 was a dream to shoot and very accurate. Granted, we shot at 7 yards. But offhand one hole groups were very doable at that range. The size is just a perfect sweet spot for my hand. I currently carry a 26 concealed or a 17 for exposed duty. I never was a huge 19 fan... But the 2.0 compact is just right for my hands. Too bad its not on our approved duty carry list.

The .40 was accurate, but much more of a handful. I have carried .40 as a duty gun in the past, and have never been bothered by recoil. While the .40 I certainly shootable, when shot side by side with the 9mm, it just was not as much fun for sure. Same with the full size .45... I can shoot it and control it just fine. But I kept thinking to myself, "so much more size, weight and recoil for only 10 rounds"... they were OK, but I was not ready to buy one.

After shooting the 2.0 compact in 9, I want one.

I can only hope they improved the finish. My old 1.0 and my wife's Shield and both prone to rusting is you look at them wrong. Other than that, the compact will sell in great numbers.

Kyle Reese
09-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Might snap one up for the wife for Christmas.

Whittaker Guns has them for 419.99.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1709201414154

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
09-25-2017, 05:50 PM
I shot the 2.0 compact last week in 9 and .40, as well at the full size 2.0 in .45...

Initial impressions? I owned a 1.0 in .40, just never did like it. added apex parts and the trigger was still mush. The 2.0 is MUCH better in the trigger department. the compacts are no exception. The 9 was a dream to shoot and very accurate. Granted, we shot at 7 yards. But offhand one hole groups were very doable at that range. The size is just a perfect sweet spot for my hand. I currently carry a 26 concealed or a 17 for exposed duty. I never was a huge 19 fan... But the 2.0 compact is just right for my hands. Too bad its not on our approved duty carry list.

The .40 was accurate, but much more of a handful. I have carried .40 as a duty gun in the past, and have never been bothered by recoil. While the .40 I certainly shootable, when shot side by side with the 9mm, it just was not as much fun for sure. Same with the full size .45... I can shoot it and control it just fine. But I kept thinking to myself, "so much more size, weight and recoil for only 10 rounds"... they were OK, but I was not ready to buy one.

After shooting the 2.0 compact in 9, I want one.

I can only hope they improved the finish. My old 1.0 and my wife's Shield and both prone to rusting is you look at them wrong. Other than that, the compact will sell in great numbers.

My sentiments are the same, except about the 19 sized pistols, they are my preferred weapon of choice both on and off duty. The 1 gen version didn't impress me at all, no matter what i did with them. The 2.0 compact I shot today was exceptional, and I ordered one right after. If all goes as planned, I will be carrying it on and off duty, as I am the one responsible for approving weapons on our department list....:)

TXPO

VT1032
09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Boy, I said I wasn't going to be a beta tester, but this is really calling my name... Add to the fact that S&W has a $50 military rebate, and the mags and ammo rebate going right now, and I'd be getting these for $369 each with 5 mags per gun. mighty tempting...

lazarus long
09-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Might snap one up for the wife for Christmas.

Whittaker Guns has them for 419.99.

Thanks for the heads up! Snagged one this morning.

VT1032
09-26-2017, 12:13 PM
My sentiments are the same, except about the 19 sized pistols, they are my preferred weapon of choice both on and off duty. The 1 gen version didn't impress me at all, no matter what i did with them. The 2.0 compact I shot today was exceptional, and I ordered one right after. If all goes as planned, I will be carrying it on and off duty, as I am the one responsible for approving weapons on our department list....:)

TXPO

Any thoughts on this vs. the G19 Gen 5 if you've shot one? I'm torn between that and this.

NETim
09-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks a lot! Now I've got another gun inbound that I didn't know I needed. :)

Wendell
09-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Does the 4 1/4" barrel of the full-size M&P9 2.0 fit and function in the compact M&P9 2.0?

jeep45238
09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
No idea, but Apex's barrel selections is alluding to the barrels being interchangable (at least for match ones).

What are the hive's thoughts on compact vs. fullsize 2.0's? Got burned on the last 5" 9Pro - wanting to go that path again, but also wanting to avoid being a beta tester again.

Texaspoff
09-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Any thoughts on this vs. the G19 Gen 5 if you've shot one? I'm torn between that and this.

I am carrying a 5th Gen G19 currently and I really like it. It is accurate, reliable, and I haven't found any complaints other than needing a trigger guard undercut, which I fixed. The recoil is typical glock, and just fine. trigger is better than my 4th gen glock, but I run a mostly factory trigger setup in them with the exception of reduced striker block springs.

The M&P 2.0 Compact really impressed me. I was actually a bit more accurate with it, and was able to keep that accuracy running at high speed, where as groups open slightly with my glock when really pushing it. The trigger is fine and breaks clean at least on the one I shot, it may be different on the one I have coming. The trigger is fine, it isn't great, but it isn't bad either. I am not a trigger snob and have learned to run pistol without giving much attention to them especially in a combat gun.

I personally think the M&P is their answer to the Glock 19, and it is a very good answer. If it proves to be a reliable and durable pistol, it should do really well, and ma cause glock to pause and take inventory. I know if I was going shopping for a 19, and both these guns were next to each other, I would very likely pick the M&P, unless some other factory mandated the Glock purchase.

TXPO

VT1032
09-27-2017, 09:23 AM
I am carrying a 5th Gen G19 currently and I really like it. It is accurate, reliable, and I haven't found any complaints other than needing a trigger guard undercut, which I fixed. The recoil is typical glock, and just fine. trigger is better than my 4th gen glock, but I run a mostly factory trigger setup in them with the exception of reduced striker block springs.

The M&P 2.0 Compact really impressed me. I was actually a bit more accurate with it, and was able to keep that accuracy running at high speed, where as groups open slightly with my glock when really pushing it. The trigger is fine and breaks clean at least on the one I shot, it may be different on the one I have coming. The trigger is fine, it isn't great, but it isn't bad either. I am not a trigger snob and have learned to run pistol without giving much attention to them especially in a combat gun.

I personally think the M&P is their answer to the Glock 19, and it is a very good answer. If it proves to be a reliable and durable pistol, it should do really well, and ma cause glock to pause and take inventory. I know if I was going shopping for a 19, and both these guns were next to each other, I would very likely pick the M&P, unless some other factory mandated the Glock purchase.

TXPO

Thanks. I'll wait to see your more detailed range results tomorrow, but I may well pick a few of these up. I've still got a bunch of M&P holsters and with the rebates on mags, it wouldn't be that hard to get into these.

CalmlyDeMented
09-28-2017, 08:08 PM

TXPO
I thought I saw you selling your 2.0 Compact on another forum. Just wondering why the change of heart if you don’t mind me asking? Sticking with the G19 instead?

Texaspoff
09-28-2017, 08:37 PM
I thought I saw you selling your 2.0 Compact on another forum. Just wondering why the change of heart if you don’t mind me asking? Sticking with the G19 instead?

Actually no I am still impressed with the 2.0 compact and still running it through it paces. When I ordered this one I also ordered another for another person and the decide they didn’t want it. I don’t need two of them at least right now so I am just trying to find it a home.

TXPO

TheNewbie
09-28-2017, 08:51 PM
What is the holster fit situation for the 2.0 and the 2.0 compact?

I read that ALS holsters for the M&P may not retain the 2.0 properly.

Texaspoff
09-29-2017, 06:33 AM
What is the holster fit situation for the 2.0 and the 2.0 compact?

I read that ALS holsters for the M&P may not retain the 2.0 properly.

Safariland has a 2.0 specific holster for the 2.0. I have one for the 1st Gen and it will fit in it, but hangs up when drawing. I haven't found where it is hanging up, but I suspect on the lock somewhere. I have an 6360 for the 2.0 on order.

TXPO

JHC
09-29-2017, 06:43 AM

TXPO

Frank Proctor is raving about his on his FB page.

scjbash
09-29-2017, 11:08 AM
I picked one up yesterday and put a few rounds through it. My initial impression is that I'm going to shoot it better than the full size. I'll do some testing this weekend but from what little I shot it I think it's going to be pretty damn accurate.

The front sight is thinner than the sights on the other M&Ps. I've wanted to try the Trijicon XR and after shooting the compact with a thin sight I'm definitely putting one on it.

Gary1911A1
09-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Just got an Email from Rural King that the M&P Compact 2.0 9MM is on sale for $419.99 this Friday and Saturday. I'll try to find a link.

GCBHM
09-29-2017, 01:38 PM
I think S&W makes a fine gun, and the M&P is a nice option. I like this size platform, to be sure, but I don't think I will buy one. I like the M&P, and I will be checking this gun out, but it isn't going to beat the Glock 19 in any capacity except personal preference. For those who want something other than a Glock in this size platform, I'm sure it will do nicely. Now, if I were not vested in Glock I would definitely be very interested in this gun. That said, if I didn't carry a Glock 19 I would most likely run with the VP9. I believe HK and Glock make the two best pistols available, but with the simplicity of Glock coupled with its aftermarket support, nothing touches it, IMO.

Kyle Reese
09-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Just got an Email from Rural King that the M&P Compact 2.0 9MM is on sale for $419.99 this Friday and Saturday. I'll try to find a link.https://www.rkguns.com/smith-wesson-m-p-m2-0-compact-9mm-15rd-4-pistol-11683.html

NETim
09-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Mine arrived today from these guys:

Up1911Fan
09-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Mine should be here Monday.

JHC
09-30-2017, 08:11 AM
From Frank Proctor's FB page this morning:

"A few days ago I posted that the 2.0 Compact is my new carry gun. I listed the modifications that I made to it and also mentioned that is the same size as a G19 and easier to shoot. Some folks got offended. One fella said it was just my opinion....true. My opinion based on my experiences as a shooter. I've been a Green Beret since 2003 a USPSA Grandmaster since 2009 and have operated my shooting company full time Way of the Gun since 2012. I have been training and shooting to WIN as a lifestyle for 14 years.

This year I have shot around 30k through an M&P 2.0, this is kind of a light year for me. When I first started competing in 2007 (with a Glock) I shot 500-1000 rounds a day occasionally I shot 2k in one day. When I saw that the M&P 2.0 is easier to shoot than a Glock I have a different reference and standard than some folks. All that said can Glocks be shot well? Of course they can, I still shoot them sometimes and they just require more work to achieve the same level of shooting. And to clear something else up. I don't get paid by anyone except my customers. I'm training with folks today and I'm looking forward to it! I don't know everything there is to know about shooting, as a matter of fact I don't think anyone does. There's a world of possibility for open minded people. I learn something new every time I train, I'm excited for the range today!"

lazarus long
09-30-2017, 08:13 AM
Mine arrived on Thursday, first range trip was yesterday. So far it's been a reliable, soft shooting, and accurate pistol. Very impressed. The action felt a little gritty out of the box, but a light cleaning and lubrication with Slip 2000 slicked things right up.

At the range: 100 rounds of mixed reloads and HST 124gr. No MALF's, consistent ejection to 4:00 at about 4-5', shoots to POA at 5-7 yards. Groups were one ragged hole at 5 yards and under 1" at 7 yards, all off-hand. When I have mounted my preferred sights, I'll start to increase the distances and see what happens. I have old eyes, so I have a definite sight preference.

My preferred sight set is the Vickers Battlesight from Wilson Combat in all my pistols, if available. I use the black serrated rear sight paired with the green fiber-optic front sight. I paint the blade orange and find that it works well for me with the green fiber optic in any conditions but almost total darkness.

Overall: Very happy. This will be my preferred EDC if it proves reliable. Now, to find holsters. JMCK for IWB, still searching for OWB leather.

davisj
09-30-2017, 02:57 PM
I picked mine up Thursday. I replaced the sights with HD XRs and took it to the range this morning. I only put 125 rounds (100 FMJ, 25 JHP) through it because my daughter was with me and she was having fun shooting clays with a .22 rifle. No issues but I was only shooting to function check and familiarize myself with it. At 15 yards it was shooting 1"-2" left, not sure if it was me, the half-broken trigger, the grip insert or the sights. I've ordered an Apex polymer trigger shoe that will be here Monday. Once I replace the trigger shoe I'll go back to the range and take the additional grip inserts. I'm guessing I'll either use the Medium or Medium-Large.

I've order an AIWB 2.0 from Tony and look forward to carrying this when the holster arrives and I've put several hundred more rounds through it. I'm coming from a G19.4 which was trouble free, I've just always liked the M&P and now that the "just right" size is available I thought I'd try it out. Thus far I'm happy.

Below is a recent comparison MAC did between the G19.5 and the 2.0 Compact. His conclusion, it's basically a draw.

https://youtu.be/rABfqfffRBQ

Magsz
09-30-2017, 04:02 PM
I handled one of these the other day.

Note, I have zero rounds behind the sights however, I do have a full size M&P 2.0.

This thing is a winner. It feels solid, for my hand size the grip length is perfect. The mags feel a little on the short side but they're still easy to grasp during a reload and I do not believe that I will pinch myself when I load this thing up as the grip has just enough excess length to prevent my hand fat from getting involved.

I appreciate Glocks for what they are but I also hate them for the ergonomic nightmare that they are somehow designed to be.

The M&P9C 2.0 is exactly what ive been waiting for since the first generation M&P was released. I hope this model sells like Hotcakes. I absolutely cannot wait to add one to the stable.

scjbash
10-01-2017, 12:01 AM
No issues but I was only shooting to function check and familiarize myself with it. At 15 yards it was shooting 1"-2" left, not sure if it was me, the half-broken trigger, the grip insert or the sights.

Mine too. It was definitely the gun.

azerious
10-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Are you guys running safeties? if so how positive is it?

lazarus long
10-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Mine too. It was definitely the gun.

Mine was shooting dead center at 7 yards, but that's no real surprise. I wouldn't expect any windage problem to show up until I move further away. I'm not concerned since I will be updating my sights tomorrow anyway. Also, when presenting the pistol in dry fire, I noticed that my sights came up with the front sight slightly left. Going to a larger backstrap corrected the problem by filling the palm of my right strong hand and pushing the rear of the pistol a little to the left. Also helped to straighten out my trigger pull a bit.

lazarus long
10-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Mine has the thumb safety. It is a little mushy, but usable. Not as positive feeling as a 1911, but better than a Hi-Power. I also have an old thumb safety equipped version 1.0 .45 compact, and it feels exactly the same. I went with the TS version since I can always remove the TS and insert frame plugs if needed.

skipper49
10-01-2017, 04:07 PM

Just picked mine up yesterday. Only wanted the TS model and my dealer just got two in. The safeties on both were quite good. I wouldn't have bought one if the safety was as mushy as past ones I'd handled, but these were pretty crisp.
Can't even rack my own slide yet as I'm recovering from hand surgery, but IF this boy is reliable and I shoot it decently, I'm really going to like this pistol. Nice trigger too. Very pleased.
Skip

Joe in PNG
10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
I have to admit I'm interested in this.

ubervic
10-01-2017, 05:17 PM
I ran the MP9FS for almost four years, then moved to SIG in order to 1) learn & master the TDA trigger system and 2) get over my Heebie-jeebies of holstering with an SFA pistol. My buddy owns that M&P. Whenever I fire it, it points and hits almost effortlessly. Almost always leaves me reflecting...

This 2.0 compact with thumb safety gives me big reasons to be excited about getting back into S&W SFA.

Lefty Gunner
10-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Regarding the thumb safety - If you feel you can disassemble the trigger mechanism housing you will find that the thumb safety is activated by a small spring loaded slider. A semi-circular notch on the safety is the detent. A small circular file will allow you to deepen the notch and increase the crispness of the safety (Note: this is from 1.0 model but I believe the safety is the same!) Could not find 2.0 exploded diagram.

scjbash
10-01-2017, 11:10 PM
I planned on shooting a lot today but things changed. All I shot was one cold ten round group at 25 yards. It was 3.25 inches. Not amazing, but considering the factory sights, Federal aluminum ammo, and shooting it cold it's definitely not what the gun is capable of. I've got new sights ordered so when they get here I'll see what I can wring out of it.

NETim
10-02-2017, 07:02 AM
I hope to get down to the range and finally shoot mine today. (Saturday and Sunday were consumed with matches of various kinds.)

Both the M/L and L back straps fit poorly on mine. The upper portion "curve" stands proud of the frame. It creates an uncomfortable situation as the thin edge protrudes into the web of my hand as I grip it.

Furthermore, the mags don't drop free with those same back straps installed. The medium and small have no issues. The medium is installed and will probably work for me, but I'd rather have the larger ones installed I believe.

I'm not sure I can reform those back straps successfully with heat or not.

lazarus long
10-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Regarding the thumb safety - If you feel you can disassemble the trigger mechanism housing you will find that the thumb safety is activated by a small spring loaded slider. A semi-circular notch on the safety is the detent. A small circular file will allow you to deepen the notch and increase the crispness of the safety (Note: this is from 1.0 model but I believe the safety is the same!) Could not find 2.0 exploded diagram.
Great tip, Lefty. Thanks! I removed the safety mechanism for a look and it's exactly the same as the 1.0.

alohadoug
10-02-2017, 02:51 PM
So, these are now Mass Compliant. So I can get one of these and use 10 round magazines or find a G19 at a ridiculous markup and pre-1994 standard capacity magazines at an even more ridiculous markup...

stinx
10-02-2017, 03:23 PM
The 2.0 compact is not on the list.

alohadoug
10-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Damn it! You're right....

Crap...

Sherman A. House DDS
10-02-2017, 07:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/abfb6434ac24f9c58bc9bcb465ecce2e.jpg

Rapid fire group (1 shot per second) at 18 yards (limit of indoor range). That’s two holes in the first cluster, two in the second, and one in the third, for a total of 5 rounds. Seems like Smith has worked out their accuracy issues with the 4” tube...

Sherman A. House DDS
10-02-2017, 07:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/b0af22d1e4fb307e2aa3529fc4ad8414.jpg

250 rounds (100 at 5 yards, 75 at 10 yards and 75 at 15 yards). I really like this little gun. I ditched the OEM sights and am using Heinie Ledge sights with the front blade face painted red.

I changed my grip this weekend because of/while/during the Tom Givens Rangemaster 3 day Instructor Course. I have shot thumbs forward for the past 20 years, and changed to Tom’s preferred locked wrist, “thumbs together/up,” grip and it really makes a difference in my shooting.

Trukinjp13
10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/b0af22d1e4fb307e2aa3529fc4ad8414.jpg

250 rounds (100 at 5 yards, 75 at 10 yards and 75 at 15 yards). I really like this little gun. I ditched the OEM sights and am using Heinie Ledge sights with the front blade face painted red.

I changed my grip this weekend because of/while/during the Tom Givens Rangemaster 3 day Instructor Course. I have shot thumbs forward for the past 20 years, and changed to Tom’s preferred locked wrist, “thumbs together/up,” grip and it really makes a difference in my shooting.

Can you show a pic of what grip you are explaining?

Sherman A. House DDS
10-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Can you show a pic of what grip you are explaining?

I can’t at the moment, but I’ll have my son take a picture when I get home.

It’s basically, “thumbs up,” and locked wrists.

spinmove_
10-03-2017, 08:49 AM
I can’t at the moment, but I’ll have my son take a picture when I get home.

It’s basically, “thumbs up,” and locked wrists.

What's the reasoning for going "thumbs up" with both thumbs?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Bucky
10-03-2017, 10:12 AM
What's the reasoning for going "thumbs up" with both thumbs?

What can be better than two thumbs up?? ;)

Sherman A. House DDS
10-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Couple things for retention purposes. The thumbs up (versus thumbs forward) results in a locked wrist by the hand applying the master grip. Thumbs forward causes a downward deviation in the wrists which makes the grip inherently weak AND is fatiguing with long applications. Next, is trigger finger manipulation. With the locked wrist, the trigger finger flexes in a straight, linear fashion, parallel with the long axis of the forearm.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Another thing...if you grip the gun in your master hand, AND then place your off hand thumb parallel to it, you get the grip Tom advocates. Here is a picture of Tom shooting one handed, to get an idea of what I’m describing.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/c1fae97a686ef7ee97e4cd54c4b59f9e.png

spinmove_
10-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Interesting. Still curious to see a picture of the full two-handed grip.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

davisj
10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Honest Outlaw's comparison of the G19.5, P10c and 2.0 Compact. One man's opinion...

https://youtu.be/NffoYs7PBMc

Sherman A. House DDS
10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/4985d869fa7bee0d333d10ef47d1b2de.jpg

I hope Tom doesn’t mind me photographing one of his diagrams to illustrate my point. This is the grip Tom uses that I’m adopting/implementing.

GJM
10-03-2017, 03:38 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/4985d869fa7bee0d333d10ef47d1b2de.jpg

I hope Tom doesn’t mind me photographing one of his diagrams to illustrate my point. This is the grip Tom uses that I’m adopting/implementing.

Hard to tell from the photo, but I suspect that grip might be a problem with Sig/HK/PPQ type slide stops not locking back?

JBP55
10-03-2017, 03:42 PM
I agree GJM, too easy to ride the slide with your thumbs.

MSparks909
10-03-2017, 04:00 PM
And you're leaving some recoil management techniques on the table with that grip...if you have wrist mobility issues that grip is certainly better than the 'Fudd "teacup" grip, but it's not as effective as two handed grip with more aggressive support hand placement.

Sorry for the hijack.

Up1911Fan
10-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Picked mine up today. Initial impressions are that I really like it. Need to get to the range later in the week. Need to get new sights. Probably gonna go the Apex trigger route. The size is perfect, feels better and points more naturally than the Glocks I'm used to.

Joe in PNG
10-03-2017, 07:12 PM
What's the story on non-retention holsters? Will it fit regular M&P 1.0 FS holsters?

mmc45414
10-03-2017, 08:01 PM
What's the story on non-retention holsters? Will it fit regular M&P 1.0 FS holsters?
The chatter says yes.

Mine is inbound as of 45 seconds ago. My plan is to use my 45c holster initially.

awp_101
10-03-2017, 08:49 PM
My investment in Glock is too substantial to really switch oer 100%
That's the problem I have, too deep into the Glock world to start redoing everything now. My "outs" have always been: I can't stand the hinged trigger (going back to the original Sigma) and no G19 size. Between S&W and Apex I'm running out of reasons...

WOLFIE
10-04-2017, 06:04 AM
The chatter says yes.

Mine is inbound as of 45 seconds ago. My plan is to use my 45c holster initially.

That is my thinking as well. I wonder if the compact 2.0 has a thinner slide than the 45C 1.0 ?

mmc45414
10-04-2017, 06:48 AM
That is my thinking as well. I wonder if the compact 2.0 has a thinner slide than the 45C 1.0 ?
I have not handled one personally yet, but I would say no. A close friend that has both says it is a nice fit, and Tony JMCK Meyer says there is direct compatibility between 1.0 and 2.0.

IMO one of the advantages of the M&P is the common size. I got an OWB holster for them, and got it to fit the full size 45, since the 9mm and 40 are only 1/4" shorter.

WOLFIE
10-04-2017, 07:10 AM
I have not handled one personally yet, but I would say no. A close friend that has both says it is a nice fit, and Tony JMCK Meyer says there is direct compatibility between 1.0 and 2.0.

IMO one of the advantages of the M&P is the common size. I got an OWB holster for them, and got it to fit the full size 45, since the 9mm and 40 are only 1/4" shorter.

Cool

DallasBronco
10-04-2017, 08:19 AM

The 45C slide is slightly wider, maybe by 0.10", but it probably won't affect holster fit. I think it will work fine.

WOLFIE
10-04-2017, 08:26 AM
The 45C slide is slightly wider, maybe by 0.10", but it probably won't affect holster fit. I think it will work fine.

I hope so. I have a brand new JM Custom Kydex AIWB for the 45c and i want the 2.0 9mm compact.

DallasBronco
10-04-2017, 08:32 AM
I hope so. I have a brand new JM Custom Kydex AIWB for the 45c and i want the 2.0 9mm compact.
I think you'll be fine. The pistol will be slightly more loose in that holster, but since it's AIWB, you'll still have good retention. I used leather AIWB holsters that I made and could switch between the Ver 1.0 M&P 45C, 9C, and 40C with no issues.

Sherman A. House DDS
10-04-2017, 08:47 AM

It fits every one I’ve tried, from my JMCK’s to my Uncle Mikes paddle, RCS, etc.

mmc45414
10-04-2017, 09:18 AM
The 45C slide is slightly wider, maybe by 0.10", but it probably won't affect holster fit. I think it will work fine.Agree, I have never measured mine, but have used the 40/9s more in my FS45 holster more than the 45 and it is fine.

lazarus long
10-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Ordered a 45c leather OWB from Mitch Rosen for my new M&P 2.0 9mm Compact. In the past I carried the .45C in a FS M&P .40 leather holster with no problems, though, as you might expect, the holster was a little long. My IWB #3 is on order from JMCK. Kydex fit is less forgiving than leather, so I tend to be more likely to order the exact holster. However, some careful work with a hair dryer can help.

Sent an additional 100 rounds down range yesterday with no failures. Backed off to 10 yards shooting off hand with 5 shot groups still within 1.5". I probably won't worry about group sizes from any further back since my eyes are the limiting factor. Hitting 8" plates at 25 yards has been easy enough.

Kyle Reese
10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Got one coming in, with thumb safety.
Hope I'm not disappointed with the reliability or accuracy.

Grey
10-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Hope I'm not disappointed with the reliability or accuracy.Make sure You give us a report, looking very hard at this...[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
10-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Hope I'm not disappointed with the reliability or accuracy.

compare between gen 5 and this? if not public, email. :cool:

Kyle Reese
10-04-2017, 04:55 PM
compare between gen 5 and this? if not public, email. :cool:For sure, dude.

kitten_frenzy
10-07-2017, 03:28 PM
So are they doing a 10 or 12 round size in 2.0 anymore?
2.0 SC?
I would want one...

Beat Trash
10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
I've heard that S&W will be announcing the Shield 2.0. Who knows, that may be 10-12 round, as the 2.0 compact ended up being 15 round.

mmc45414
10-07-2017, 04:54 PM
I've heard that S&W will be announcing the Shield 2.0. Who knows...I wish they would do a 4" Shield with a grip frame as long as the extended magazines. Like a striker-polymer Commander.

CWM11B
10-07-2017, 05:31 PM
I wish they would do a 4" Shield with a grip frame as long as the extended magazines. Like a striker-polymer Commander.

I have made that very suggestion to the National LE Sales Manager for S&W. It would be an excellent duty weapon for some of the more smaller statured, and great for plainclothes personnel. We have had several officers who actually shot better with the Shield than with their full size. I referred to my suggestion as a striker fired model 39.

TheNewbie
10-07-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm excited about TYR's report.

If they came out with a shield that had a useable thumb safety I would seriously consider going to the M&P line for all my needs.

LOKNLOD
10-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I wish they would do a 4" Shield with a grip frame as long as the extended magazines. Like a striker-polymer Commander.

That sounds like Pincus’s Avidity P10 or whatever it’s called.

mmc45414
10-07-2017, 07:00 PM
I referred to my suggestion as a striker fired model 39.
I would also want it in 45 :)

NETim
10-07-2017, 08:32 PM
I made a promise to myself when I bought the 2.0 that would shoot it "as is." After playing with my Shield with Apex trigger parts again, I broke down and ordered the Apex DCAEK. The crunchy striker block is more than I can bear.

breakingtime91
10-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Is the mp partially or fully tensioned?

Grey
10-07-2017, 08:39 PM
Is the mp partially or fully tensioned?

Fully.

mmc45414
10-08-2017, 06:32 AM
That sounds like Pincus’s Avidity P10 or whatever it’s called.I had forgotten about that one.

GJM
10-08-2017, 07:10 AM
I shot one in a side match at the Gunsite alumni match yesterday. Trigger sucked, although it shot fine. Funny that a PPQ holds 15, and offers you a full firing grip, where the M&P is also 15 rounds, but feels short. There was also a Shield as part of one stage, and it had all sorts of problems cleanly ejecting magazines.

scjbash
10-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Funny that a PPQ holds 15, and offers you a full firing grip, where the M&P is also 15 rounds, but feels short.

The PPQ is a taller gun. The spec sheets list the M&PC as 5.0", the PPQ 5.3", and the full size M&P 5.5".

LtDave
10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
I shot one in a side match at the Gunsite alumni match yesterday. Trigger sucked, although it shot fine. Funny that a PPQ holds 15, and offers you a full firing grip, where the M&P is also 15 rounds, but feels short. There was also a Shield as part of one stage, and it had all sorts of problems cleanly ejecting magazines.

Didn’t shoot the side match, but the stage gun didn’t drop the mag cleanly for me either. Trigger was a little crunchy on it. First time I’d shot a Shield.

zephyr
10-09-2017, 09:27 PM
I bought a 2.0 compact in 9mm and like it so much I bought a second. Been shooting them a lot the last week. I have about 650 rounds through each. Ammo was Speer Lawman 124g and Speer Gold Dot 124g. 0 issues.

Been shooting and carrying a G19 for years. I like it and shoot it well but had to have some grip work done to make it comfortable for me. I will of course still carry and shoot it but I am going to start carrying one of 2.0 compacts for a while and see how it goes.

I got the versions with the thumb safety. I like it, reminds of the extended safety on my BHP. I shoot them with my thumb on the safety like a 1911 and it worked well for me. I had to switch carry from 4:00 IWB to AIWB because of a back injury and I like having the external safety.

Triggers are quite nice in my opinion. They are a little gritty at first but smooth out nicely after a few hundred rounds. I think S&W has a real winner here.

NickDrak
10-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Curious on holster compatibility with the 2.0 Compact.....

Anyone know if the Safariland ALS Concealment holsters for the full sized M&P will fit the 2.0 Compact?

KevH
10-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Anyone know if the Safariland ALS Concealment holsters for the full sized M&P will fit the 2.0 Compact?

I'm wondering the same thing.

PD Sgt.
10-11-2017, 04:40 PM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ejection port on the 2.0 series was slightly different, and that older generation ALS will not properly engage. I do not know if there are replacement parts to retrofit 1.0 holsters available.

lazarus long
10-12-2017, 03:06 PM
The after-market for the 2.0 Compact has been quick to respond. My holsters have arrived!

I received my IWB #3 today from Tony after a very short wait; great fit and workmanship, no surprise! My leather OWB holster from Mitch Rosen, for a .45C, was in stock (I know, nothing to do with the 2.0 Compact release), and fits my 2.0 perfectly. Just letting everyone know that the .45C leather holsters should fit.

A reply from Talon Grips projects grip availability in about two weeks if testing and production go well. The stock grips are not a problem, but my hands really are used to the rubber grips from Talon.

Grey
10-13-2017, 08:58 AM
I caved and bought a 2.0 Compact with a TS.

NETim
10-13-2017, 09:28 AM
The "L" and "ML" backstraps seem to pinch the frame enough that the mags won't drop free on mine. It's getting better with use. One of the supplied 15 round mags will drop free 100% of time now. The other is still sticky. I'm thinking of accelerating the process with some fine sandpaper.

Have Ameriglo I-dot pros on hand now to replace the white disappearing 3 dots but I'm holding off until the Apex DCAEK arrives. I'm not sure how much the Apex sear will buy on the 2.0 due to the way the trigger bar activates the sear on the 2.0 but I'll probably put it in anyway. The Apex USB will probably make the take up much better in any event.

NETim
10-13-2017, 11:36 AM
The "L" and "ML" backstraps seem to pinch the frame enough that the mags won't drop free on mine. It's getting better with use. One of the supplied 15 round mags will drop free 100% of time now. The other is still sticky. I'm thinking of accelerating the process with some fine sandpaper.

There is a narrow molded in rib inside the mag well roughly half way up that runs the circumference of the mag well. I LIGHTLY scraped this rib on the rear edge (the backstrap side) and a little on the sides with my trusty pocketknife. It seemed to do the trick. Just a bit more clearance was all it needed. Both supplied 15 round mags drop free.

medmo
10-13-2017, 05:14 PM
I just handled both the slick and thumb safety versions at Cabelas this afternoon. They hadn't put them out yet. A lot to like about it. Great ergo, sweet trigger and sights. The sales guy and I laid it out on the counter with a gen 5 G19. Same size. I liked the ergo on the thumb safety version. It was natural to keep thumb on the safety like a 1911. $569 Cabelas price.

Grey
10-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Wow cabellas is taking you for a ride at that price.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
10-13-2017, 05:27 PM
I just handled both the slick and thumb safety versions at Cabelas this afternoon. They hadn't put them out yet. A lot to like about it. Great ergo, sweet trigger and sights. The sales guy and I laid it out on the counter with a gen 5 G19. Same size. I liked the ergo on the thumb safety version. It was natural to keep thumb on the safety like a 1911. $569 Cabelas price.Rip off. They can be found online for over $100 cheaper.

Redhat
10-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Rip off. They can be found online for over $100 cheaper.

I'd call that the new hyped hotness price

medmo
10-13-2017, 07:33 PM
Agreed, Cabelas is definitely pricey. I wasn't shopping just checking it out. OP is it S&W's G19? I think yes, but better. Stock trigger cleaner, better ergo for me, well designed thumb safety option and better stock sights. If someone was already invested in a gen 5 G19 would trading it for this S&W be game changer in comfort and shooting performance? I think probably not. If someone wanted a really good striker fired carry pistol with a well designed thumb safety? Then yes.

Papalapa
10-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Picked mine up today. My initial impression is that the trigger isn’t as good as a late model first gen M&P but serviceable. The texture is Perfect for me and exactly what I’d want done. I would like some stippling on the frame for my support hand thumb. The grip size is what I’d call as close to a Glock 19 as you could get in length but much better ergos. The part I’m most pleased about is the removal of the beaver tail. My hands get bad slide bite from Glocks and due to my adolescent length fingers I refuse to add either a grip force adapter or a Glock back strap to a gen 4. I can shoot Glocks but it is painful and so much unnecessary work to do so. The new 2.0 gives me just millimeters of clearance from the slide and that has me doing cart wheels. Have to figure out a set of high vis sights. Probably going Ameriglo bc I love them on the PX4cc. Not really sure why I am putting sights on or why I’ve had a JMCK holster ordered two weeks ago. I’m 100% invested in my Robar mod 5 and plan on using it exclusively for a long while. But if S&W would have put this gun out from the beginning and if it holds acceptable accuracy to 25 yards I’d probably still be carrying it today. Time will tell but as far as a passion of the gun thing goes this is a polymer that has me excited.

Redhat
10-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Agreed, Cabelas is definitely pricey. I wasn't shopping just checking it out. OP is it S&W's G19? I think yes, but better. Stock trigger cleaner, better ergo for me, well designed thumb safety option and better stock sights. If someone was already invested in a gen 5 G19 would trading it for this S&W be game changer in comfort and shooting performance? I think probably not. If someone wanted a really good striker fired carry pistol with a well designed thumb safety? Then yes.

Do you happen to know how the thumb safety functions mechanically... what does it do to keep the gun from firing?

medmo
10-13-2017, 11:01 PM
If it's like the other M&Ps, (I'd be really surprised if not), the safety lever acts as a trigger block. It engages the rear section of the trigger bar.

Cacafuego
10-14-2017, 12:44 AM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ejection port on the 2.0 series was slightly different, and that older generation ALS will not properly engage. I do not know if there are replacement parts to retrofit 1.0 holsters available.

I tried 2.0 full size and compact in a Safariland 6378-219 ALS today. Both seemed to fit just like an original M&P.

azerious
10-14-2017, 01:16 AM
Do you happen to know how the thumb safety functions mechanically... what does it do to keep the gun from firing?

This, AIWB users need to know:cool:

medmo
10-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Picked mine up today. My initial impression is that the trigger isn’t as good as a late model first gen M&P but serviceable. The texture is Perfect for me and exactly what I’d want done. I would like some stippling on the frame for my support hand thumb. The grip size is what I’d call as close to a Glock 19 as you could get in length but much better ergos. The part I’m most pleased about is the removal of the beaver tail. My hands get bad slide bite from Glocks and due to my adolescent length fingers I refuse to add either a grip force adapter or a Glock back strap to a gen 4. I can shoot Glocks but it is painful and so much unnecessary work to do so. The new 2.0 gives me just millimeters of clearance from the slide and that has me doing cart wheels. Have to figure out a set of high vis sights. Probably going Ameriglo bc I love them on the PX4cc. Not really sure why I am putting sights on or why I’ve had a JMCK holster ordered two weeks ago. I’m 100% invested in my Robar mod 5 and plan on using it exclusively for a long while. But if S&W would have put this gun out from the beginning and if it holds acceptable accuracy to 25 yards I’d probably still be carrying it today. Time will tell but as far as a passion of the gun thing goes this is a polymer that has me excited.

Papalapa, I also compared the PX4 CC with the gen 5 G19 & 2.0 M&P Compact. Had all three laying on the counter and wish I would have thought of taking a pic. The PX4 CC seemed same sized and maybe a little smaller because it's rounded and not as boxy if that makes sense.

MVS
10-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Just back from the LGS. Handled a G19 gen5 side by side with the 2.0 Compact. As usual the Smith felt better in the hand, but that trigger is horrible. Handled one of those CZ's too, P-10C or something like that, it was nice too. Got to mess around with a CZ Shadow II as well, man is that thing heavy! As far as the Glock vs. M&P goes, without shooting them side by side I don't know for sure but after checking them both out in the store my next gun would be the Gen 5 19.

Kyle Reese
10-14-2017, 03:11 PM
How are these shooting at 25 yards?

Papalapa
10-14-2017, 03:46 PM

I hope to know by Wednesday at the latest.

steve
10-14-2017, 04:09 PM

This is a thread on Arfcom.... Some issues at 25 yards

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/2-0-compact-grouping-very-badly/16-178544/