PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BehindBlueI's
07-23-2018, 08:14 PM
I finally finished "Wolf Hall". I didn't really get into it like many here have. The writing is good but it's so...dense. Maybe since I know the outcome, and maybe due to the presentation, I just never really got interested in the characters. I breezed through "Trapped" in the Iron Druid series, a pulp-fiction fantasy set in modern day that's sort of a hybrid of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and the Dresden Files (although honestly I recommend both of those over Iron Druid).

Has anyone got any input on this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345536932/ it was referred to in something else I read and I put it on my wishlist. I'm thinking of starting it next.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-24-2018, 03:53 PM
'The Taste of War,' by Lizzie Collingham

Absolutely fascinating study of the role of food in WWII. You would think it would be boring but it's not. It's a good read. It points out the role of food needs in causing the war and the genocidal planned use of starving that was planned by Germany, if they won. Also examines all the other main participants.

NEPAKevin
07-26-2018, 03:33 PM
The Great Boer War (https://www.amazon.com/Great-Boer-War-Byron-Farwell-ebook/dp/B00GS8A3T6/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1532636590) Interesting read about warfare where 19th century tactics clashed with 20th century technology.

Otaku.edc
07-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Discourses by Epictetus translated by Robin Hard.

If you want to graduate from just reading memes about Stoicism and are into the Martial Path, Epictetus is the guy. Seneca if you want to be a businessman or politician. Marcus Aurelius for leadership.

Bigguy
08-05-2018, 09:49 AM
I just finished "Rose City Free Fall" by DL Barbur. (Actually one of our own here on the PF.) I gave it 5 stars on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/review/RVNBWT4WZNY62/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv) and Good reads (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2477526865).
It's a good story, well told. It is realistic, lacking the many ridiculous mistakes in so many books and movies, written by people who's only actual experience with violence is books and movies.

Stephanie B
08-07-2018, 06:42 PM
The Western Star by Craig Johnson, which is # 12 or 13 in the Longmire series.
l
I really do with that the series would not have gotten into some arc about damn international hitman with a hardon for Longmire. The stories would have been just peachy without that.

Stephanie B
08-07-2018, 06:43 PM
I just finished "Rose City Free Fall" by DL Barbur. (Actually one of our own here on the PF.)

Just downloaded it. And {cough}, he's not the only one on PF.

peterb
08-07-2018, 07:43 PM
The Great Boer War (https://www.amazon.com/Great-Boer-War-Byron-Farwell-ebook/dp/B00GS8A3T6/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1532636590) Interesting read about warfare where 19th century tactics clashed with 20th century technology.

$1.99 on Kindle right now

Chance
08-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MF1359/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1) - If you try to eat healthy, you may have noticed that a number of advisory organizations have done total 180s on long standing dietary guidelines in the past few years, especially with regards to things like saturated fat and cholesterol. This book explains that shift and more.

This isn't a diet book or a guide to losing weight, it's a book about the science of why healthy food is healthy and why unhealthy food is unhealthy. Basically, just about everything we've been told about what to eat over the last forty years has been somewhere between "not exactly right" to "devastatingly, catastrophically incorrect." And we're not just talking about generic "don't eat junk food" insights, the science goes way deeper than that.

If you want to know why Americans keep getting fatter and sicker, start here. I think this is a book everyone should read, and most folks in my family will be getting this as a stocking stuffer this year.

Lester Polfus
08-08-2018, 12:23 PM
The Western Star by Craig Johnson, which is # 12 or 13 in the Longmire series.
l
I really do with that the series would not have gotten into some arc about damn international hitman with a hardon for Longmire. The stories would have been just peachy without that.

Not that Craig Johnson cares what I think, but if I were to sit down with him over a beer, I would tell him exactly that. He's at his best dealing with the small town, local stuff. Once he got into the big-time international criminal conspiracy, he left his lane.

It's still Walt though, and I'll still read it.

Just downloaded it. And {cough}, he's not the only one on PF.

Thanks! Do we need to start a p-f authors club?

Bigguy
08-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Thanks! Do we need to start a p-f authors club?

That could be fun. If we did it on site, I suppose we'd need to be sponsors.

karmapolice
08-08-2018, 02:22 PM
So it is a young teen ish book series but I'm on book 9 and there are more-

The Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan. I started the series less than a month ago and they aren't short books.

Kukuforguns
08-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Did you grow up reading C.S. Forrester (Horatio Hornblower) or Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey-Maturin)? This nonfiction book calls those books to mind. These are the true stories of the major naval engagements during the war of 1812 (land engagements are also included to help give a feel for the whole war, but the focus is on the navy). The book is an emotional rollercoaster. I hated the British, loved the Americans, and wept for the British and Americans.

Edited to add: I don't remember where this book was recommended. If it was someone here ... thank you.

NEPAKevin
08-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IU9IVG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_5_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=YVNX3P7YGZHKW3JW0745&pf_rd_r=YVNX3P7YGZHKW3JW0745&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=efbd074c-33ab-4b82-9b90-7265f897ce5d&pf_rd_p=efbd074c-33ab-4b82-9b90-7265f897ce5d&pf_rd_i=11552285011) Kindle Edition by Hunter S. Thompson (Author)
One of Amazon's Kindle deals today. $1.99

OnionsAndDragons
08-10-2018, 02:27 AM
Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IU9IVG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_5_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=YVNX3P7YGZHKW3JW0745&pf_rd_r=YVNX3P7YGZHKW3JW0745&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=efbd074c-33ab-4b82-9b90-7265f897ce5d&pf_rd_p=efbd074c-33ab-4b82-9b90-7265f897ce5d&pf_rd_i=11552285011) Kindle Edition by Hunter S. Thompson (Author)

That book is so good. I might have to rerererereread it after I finish Gene Wolfs Urth of the New Sun books again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigguy
08-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Aluminum Rain by S. E. Belser (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8OYOMW/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb). (One of our own on the P.F.)

5 of 5 stars.

This a cerebral work that follows a thin trail of evidence. Sam Hawkins is a private detective hired to look into a plane crash, first labeled as an accident due to mechanical failure. Sam’s client has doubts, and Sam soon comes to agree.
S. E. Belser is a pilot and lawyer, among other things. That background allows her the insight to produce what feels like a very realistic story. I suspect an actual detective would find her depiction accurate. She tells the story without gratuitous sex, language, and violence, focusing rather on the intellectual challenge.
I found this to be an enjoyable, well crafted story. Well worth buying and reading.

blues
08-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Aluminum Rain by S. E. Belser (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8OYOMW/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb). (One of our own on the P.F.)

5 of 5 stars.

This a cerebral work that follows a thin trail of evidence. Sam Hawkins is a private detective hired to look into a plane crash, first labeled as an accident due to mechanical failure. Sam’s client has doubts, and Sam soon comes to agree.
S. E. Belser is a pilot and lawyer, among other things. That background allows her the insight to produce what feels like a very realistic story. I suspect an actual detective would find her depiction accurate. She tells the story without gratuitous sex, language, and violence, focusing rather on the intellectual challenge.
I found this to be an enjoyable, well crafted story. Well worth buying and reading.

Hmmm, I need to look into this series. Surprised I missed the memo.

richiecotite
08-12-2018, 06:26 PM
A few weeks ago I read The Tiger by John Valliant.

Short story it’s about an Amur tiger in Siberia that was shot and injured by a poacher. Tiger tracks down the mans scent to his home, destroys the mans trailer, and waits 12-24 hours for the man to return, then kills and eats him and the aftermath

Book also made we got I lucky in the states, only having to deal with brown bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
08-13-2018, 08:33 AM
{Smooches}

Thank you!

blues
08-13-2018, 08:50 AM
{Smooches}

Thank you!

In the words of the great Dobie Gillis: "Now cut that out!"

;)

Screwball
08-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Read Gun Control in the Third Reigh (Halbrook). Very interesting read, especially living in NJ. Didn’t change my perspective on gun rights, but definitely glad to read more into how “common-sense gun legislation” can bite us in the ass a few years down the line...

Next book is Wyatt Earp Speaks... not the Lake one that likely has some embellishments, but one edited by Stephens. Been on my shelf for some time, but figured I’d try to knock it out next.

Otaku.edc
08-15-2018, 12:11 PM
If your reading tastes are varied, there is no better site online than https://fivebooks.com/

They interview an expert in a particular field and have them choose five books that best represent the topic from their point of view. I end up buying a book recommendation from there at last a few times a month.

Bigguy
08-16-2018, 01:51 PM
"Blood on the Snow," (https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Snow-Lena-Smirnova-Book-ebook/dp/B00EXWBTCY/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) by S. M. Belser. (One of our own here on the PF)

A young hunter has been killed by what is first called a hunting accident. His parents can’t accept that it was an accident and contact PI/Lawyer Yelena Sergeyovna Smirnova. Yelena (Lena) quickly decides there is more to the case and soon begins to suspect connections with other “hunting accidents” going back almost twenty years. She eventually builds a sufficiently sound case to get the Sate Police interested. She has a law enforcement background so the State Police hire her as a consultant. She joins the task force as they hunt for the killer before he can kill again.
— — —
This is another intellectual journey by one of Belser’s characters. I like this one because of the strong female protagonist. The action takes place somewhere in the northwest. The author belabors the point that all locations are fictional and I don’t recall her mentioning a state, but it must surely be in a place like Montana, maybe North Dakota. She does mention that they are close to the Canadian border and the weather if crazy cold. There is a bit of a “Longmire” feel to attitude of her characters.
Belser again does what she does so well in that this is a cerebral exercise. She focuses on the who-done-it side fo the story without the gory details of gratuitous sex and violence.
Belser’s knowledge of firearms, the law, and aviation allow her to craft a believable story, very probably extremely accurate in the depiction of legal and investigative proceedings. It makes Leana’s world realistic and easy to enter.
This is a page turner that is hard to put down and will leave you sad to finish. The good news is, there are other books by this author.

JAD
08-16-2018, 02:32 PM

One of his better. He was a complete idiot, but a great writer.

Bigguy
08-16-2018, 05:52 PM

I read "Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger" by Sonny Barger. It was interesting in that it gave you a view into his twisted mindset. I'm a biker, but not a 1%. I've been at events with those guys, and even ridden with some of them in non-club events. I'm far from an expert, but what little I've seen gave credence to the picture Sonny paints of the way those guy see themselves.

Stephanie B
08-16-2018, 07:25 PM
"Blood on the Snow," (https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Snow-Lena-Smirnova-Book-ebook/dp/B00EXWBTCY/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) by S. M. Belser. (One of our own here on the PF)

All of the past murder victims in the book at the time I wrote it were members of Avsig (http://dev.avsig.com), or, at least, the iteration referred to as "Sig II (http://www.aero-farm.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php)" Others appeared in Aluminum Rain.

At the time, thanks to the Avsiggers who bought Blood on the Snow, it made the Kindle crime novel bestsellers list. Considerng how few sales it took to do that, I said at the time that making that bestsellers list was like being a champion weightlifter in the Lollipop Guild.

Bigguy
08-16-2018, 08:35 PM
All of the past murder victims in the book at the time I wrote it were members of Avsig (http://dev.avsig.com), or, at least, the iteration referred to as "Sig II (http://www.aero-farm.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php)" Others appeared in Aluminum Rain.

At the time, thanks to the Avsiggers who bought Blood on the Snow, it made the Kindle crime novel bestsellers list. Considerng how few sales it took to do that, I said at the time that making that bestsellers list was like being a champion weightlifter in the Lollipop Guild.
Well crap!!! That doesn't bode well for my expeditions. I want to be a billionaire, famous best seller based on one novel. Are you telling me there is hard work involved in gettin there?

peterb
08-16-2018, 08:46 PM
For the hikers in the group: Just finished “Where you’ll find me” by Ty Gagne, a nonfiction account of a hiker who died on a solo winter hike in the NH Presidential range and of the rescue attempt. It’s a good companion to “Not without peril” by Nicholas Howe.

A cell phone, satphone, GPS, and PLB were not enough to make up for bad decisions and bad luck. It made me think about my own decision making, and how I might avoid some of the same traps.

As an aside, the potential hazards of the Presidential range are often underestimated by folks who have made much bigger climbs. But Mt. Washington is at the intersection of three major North American weather paths, and “some of the worst weather in the world” is not an exaggeration.

blues
08-16-2018, 09:08 PM
For the hikers in the group: Just finished “Where you’ll find me” by Ty Gagne, a nonfiction account of a hiker who died on a solo winter hike in the NH Presidential range and of the rescue attempt. It’s a good companion to “Not without peril” by Nicholas Howe.

A cell phone, satphone, GPS, and PLB were not enough to make up for bad decisions and bad luck. It made me think about my own decision making, and how I might avoid some of the same traps.

As an aside, the potential hazards of the Presidential range are often underestimated by folks who have made much bigger climbs. But Mt. Washington is at the intersection of three major North American weather paths, and “some of the worst weather in the world” is not an exaggeration.

The last time I went up Mt. Washington on Washington's birthday, three lives were lost on the mountain that weekend. (Not in my party.) Not a good place to find out you aren't prepared.

peterb
08-16-2018, 09:28 PM
The last time I went up Mt. Washington on Washington's birthday, three lives were lost on the mountain that weekend. (Not in my party.) Not a good place to find out you aren't prepared.

To be fair, if you haven’t lived with the stories it’s hard to imagine how fast the conditions can change up there. And most folks have never experienced how cold you can get from wind and rain on a summer day.

A cotton t-shirt and shorts seemed fine at the trailhead a couple of hours ago when it was 70 and sunny. Who needs a pack? But it’s been clouding over as you climb, and when you break out of the treeline it’s suddenly 40 with hard rain and 60mph wind. Damn! But it’s not far to the hut, right........?

Winter is even less forgiving of mistakes.

Stephanie B
08-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Well crap!!! That doesn't bode well for my expeditions. I want to be a billionaire, famous best seller based on one novel. Are you telling me there is hard work involved in gettin there?

And a shitload of luck.

Apropos of nothing :

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180817/03021060299e8a03329240a757e3f9f6.jpg

Lester Polfus
08-17-2018, 11:35 AM

The reality of being an indie is that you need to devote as much time to marketing as to writing, and marketing skill is just as deep as writing craft skill.

Marketing is also CONSTANT. Before I went on vacation 4 days ago my ABSR on book one was consistently above 100k. Since I've been on vacation, my rank has plummeted and I've had the first "zero day" (no sales and no KU reads) in a long time.

I anticipated this, and booked some promos for when I get back, but instead of going forward I'll be regaining lost ground.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-17-2018, 03:45 PM
The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States: A Speculative Novel
Jeffrey Lewis

An alternate history of a report on the nuclear war. It's interesting and plausible. Seems well research. If you are a Trump loyalist, it may not be for you. It is not a diatribe against him but he acts as he does.

World War II at Sea: A Global History
Craig L. Symonds

A summary of the war at sea. If you know this area it is a touch repetitive but interestingly written and some things I didn't know.

Unsub
Meg Gardiner

Pretty standard police procedural with some nuance and excitement. Wouldn't buy it but from the library its something to read or listen to.

Cheap Shot
08-24-2018, 10:31 AM

I'm sort of an armchair long distance hiker. Love reading about it, but never done more than a week hiking trip.

Just finished:

The Good Hike: A Story of the Appalachian Trail, Vietnam, PTSD, and Love Paperback – December 3, 2016
by Tim Keenan (Author)

"In 1967, Tim Keenan grew to loathe the impenetrable jungle of Vietnam during his one-year tour of duty as a combat soldier. For 47 years, he couldn’t shake his dread of the woods, until he confronted his fears head on and began a thru-hike of the 2,178.3-mile Appalachian Trail.

The Good Hike is Keenan’s story of finally coming to peace with himself, buoyed by the healing powers of nature and his fellow hikers.

His story weaves in the beautiful towns and mountains of the great Appalachian trail with the jungle and battle zones around Dak To, including the infamous Hill 1338."

I enjoyed it. Gave me a different and sobering perspective on what it was like to be drafted and serve in Vietnam. I missed that experience by a couple years (war and the draft ended before I turned 18). Author is a good writer.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Hike-Story-Appalachian-Vietnam/dp/1943995222/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535124235&sr=1-1&keywords=The+good+hike.

I'd be very interested how the author experience and opinions compares to other combat vet's.

Lester Polfus
08-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Cheap Shot

You may enjoy Doug Peacock's Grizzly Years and Walking it Off.

Jason F
08-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Cheap Shot & peterb

Have you heard of read The Last Season by Eric Blehm (https://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-P-S-Eric-Blehm/dp/0060583010)? I read it a few years ago, it was interesting. It's atypical of my usual reading, so I enjoyed it. I like Blehm as an author so that's how I discovered it. Interesting story if you're in to camping / hiking / wilderness.

Cheap Shot
08-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Cheap Shot & peterb

Have you heard of read The Last Season by Eric Blehm (https://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-P-S-Eric-Blehm/dp/0060583010)? I read it a few years ago, it was interesting. It's atypical of my usual reading, so I enjoyed it. I like Blehm as an author so that's how I discovered it. Interesting story if you're in to camping / hiking / wilderness.

Yup read it, and enjoyed it. Appreciate the heads up. I'm always scouting for new books and I really need to check out some of Blehms other work. In a strange way I always feel happier, more optimistic when I've got an accumulation of good books to read.

@ Lester, order both. Thanks!

DocGKR
08-25-2018, 12:51 PM
I have not recently had much time to devote to fiction, but I was impressed with the prose in Lea Carpenter's novel "Eleven Days"--definitely worth giving a read.

LOKNLOD
08-25-2018, 10:31 PM
I struggle to find the time to sit and read books, but have taken to really enjoying audiobooks during my commute and long drives.

I just finished an Audible.com version of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, read by Mr. Ron Swanson himself, Nick Offerman. Very well performed, and between Twain's prose and the old English dialogue, having someone read it to you is a great way to make a tough read a bit more entertaining.

If you only know the story vaguely from pop culture family movies (many "time travel to the dark ages" movies out there), the actual novel has a lot more to it. It's interesting to hear Twain commentating on many issues that we would still find relevant today. Definitely worth a listen.

BehindBlueI's
08-25-2018, 10:50 PM
It's interesting to hear Twain commentating on many issues that we would still find relevant today. Definitely worth a listen.

I've read every completed work by Twain, I think. That's pretty much what I always got out of them. "Life on the Mississippi" is a great read, both for the history of steamboat travel but also how quickly frontiers are tamed and what was once the responsibility of skilled tradesman is simplified to semi-skilled or unskilled labor.

DocGKR
08-25-2018, 10:54 PM
I fondly recall A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court from my youth--great book! These days folks often seem to dismiss or forget about the classics, to their great discredit and loss....

LOKNLOD
08-25-2018, 11:29 PM
I fondly recall A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court from my youth--great book! These days folks often seem to dismiss or forget about the classics, to their great discredit and loss....

I have been trying to catch up on more classics that I’ve talked about in lit classes and memorized authors of since childhood childhood quiz bowl practice - but never read.

Any recommendations for other classics to revisit? I hit Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World earlier this year.

Cecil Burch
08-25-2018, 11:53 PM
I have been trying to catch up on more classics that I’ve talked about in lit classes and memorized authors of since childhood childhood quiz bowl practice - but never read.

Any recommendations for other classics to revisit? I hit Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World earlier this year.

The Iliad.

I try to re-read it once a year. I have been doing so since college (30+ years ago) and every time I get some new insight.

HCM
08-26-2018, 01:26 AM

The Count Of Monte Cristo.

DocGKR
08-26-2018, 01:40 AM
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Victor Hugo -- Les Miserables
Leo Tolstoy -- War and Peace
Fyodor Dostoevsky -- Crime and Punishment
Boris Pasternak -- Doctor Zhivago
Charlotte Bronte -- Jane Ayre
Emily Bronte -- Wuthering Heights
Thomas Hardy -- Far From the Madding Crowd
Robert Louis Stevenson -- Treasure Island
Alexander Dumas -- The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers
JRR Tolkien -- The Lord of the Rings
Joseph Conrad -- Heart of Darkness
James Joyce -- Ulysses
Erich Maria Remarque -- All Quiet on the Western Front
Ernest Hemingway -- The Sun Also Rises
Scott Fitzgerald -- The Great Gatsby
Harper Lee -- To Kill a Mocking Bird
John Steinbeck -- The Grapes of Wrath
James Jones -- The Thin Red Line
George Orwell -- 1984
Aldous Huxley -- Brave New World

and of course Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Joe in PNG
08-26-2018, 05:04 AM
"The Devil in the Grove" (https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Grove-Thurgood-Marshall-Groveland-ebook/dp/B005MMO0IY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535277358&sr=8-1&keywords=devil+in+the+grove+by+gilbert+king)

In 1949, Florida’s orange industry was booming, and citrus barons got rich on the backs of cheap Jim Crow labor. To maintain order and profits, they turned to Willis V. McCall, a violent sheriff who ruled Lake County with murderous resolve. When a white seventeen-year-old Groveland girl cried rape, McCall was fast on the trail of four young blacks who dared to envision a future for themselves beyond the citrus groves. By day’s end, the Ku Klux Klan had rolled into town, burning the homes of blacks to the ground and chasing hundreds into the swamps, hell-bent on lynching the young men who came to be known as “the Groveland Boys.”

Another book about real life terrible Lake County Florida sheriff Willis McCall, in this case back in 1947.

If a movie or tv show had a character based on him, you would swear that some liberal Hollywood screenwriter was making up a total stereotype of a racist hick southern sheriff.
Sadly, the man was real- and managed to hang onto his office until 1972, despite multiple allegations of murder.

Since my family goes back in Lake County a long ways, it has been interesting to talk about the High Sherif and the stories surrounding him with other long term residents. The tale isn't exaggerated- he was a serious racist bastard. As one old judge heard from a voter "we elect Willis to protect us from the niggers, and you to protect us from Willis."

Stephanie B
08-26-2018, 05:19 AM
If you have any sort of e-reader, Project Gutenberg has a lot of the classics available.

peterb
08-26-2018, 05:58 AM

Kipling. There are war stories, work stories, “Kim”, and more. If you only know the Disney version of “The Jungle Books” you really should read the originals. “Kaa’s Hunting” and “Red Dog” are darker and bloodier than the singing cartoon.

JAD
08-26-2018, 07:14 AM
Only fun stuff. If you want hard stuff let me know.

Brave New World, A Huxley
Wise Blood, Flannery O’Connor
A Clockwork Orange, A Burgess
Gravity’s Rainbow, T Pynchon
Orthodoxy, GK Chesterton
The Thin Man, D Hammett
The Lord of the Rings
A Farewell to Arms
The Sound and the Fury
Lord of the Flies

Cheap Shot
08-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Moby Dick - Melville

Don Quixote - Cervantes

Stephanie B
08-26-2018, 08:26 AM
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.

The DNA for modern American detective novels was set down by Hammett and Chandler.

“I got up on my feet and went over to the bowl in the corner and threw cold water on my face. After a little while I felt a little better, but only a little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.” — Raymond Chandler, Farewell My Lovely

BehindBlueI's
08-26-2018, 09:02 AM
Any recommendations for other classics to revisit?

Moby Dick. Just a great all around book. Compelling story, well written, characters you get invested in, I re-read it occasionally.

The Jungle. Fiction based on the reality of the day by an original "muckraker" journalist.

And a few Mark Twain books that they didn't have you read in school:

Life on the Mississippi.
The Innocents Abroad.
Roughing it.

Sherman A. House DDS
08-26-2018, 09:52 AM
“Shibumi” by Trevanian

pangloss
08-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Dr. Faustus by Marlowe

The Winter of our Discontent by Steinbeck

Notably, the books I've read by Gabriel Garcia Marquez seem to drift through my mind the most--No One Writes to the Colonel mainly. Come to think if it, that novella is a great companion piece to The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James. I'm not sure how that point escaped my attention for 15 years.

To my shame, for the past several years I've almost quit reading fiction.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
08-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Old school (‘70s):

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/915d3e4982648232c2269ab54a96d42a.jpg

Sherman A. House DDS
08-26-2018, 08:04 PM
“God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything” by Christopher Hitchens

Also, “No One Left to Lie To,” by Hitchens.

NEPAKevin
08-27-2018, 03:07 PM
And a few Mark Twain books that they didn't have you read in school:

Life on the Mississippi.
The Innocents Abroad.
Roughing it.

Mark Twain also helped Ulysses S. Grant write his memoirs. For the frugal minded, most "classics" are available for kiindle, etc, for free.

Lex Luthier
09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Full Tilt, by Dervla Murphy. It was her first book, and chronicles the then-30-year-old Irish woman's adventures while taking a solo bike tour from Ireland to New Delhi in 1963.
Some consider her the first of the modern adventure travel writers. While she gave short attention to pretty much every country west of Yugoslavia, her eye for subtlety and local color is really evocative. Reading about her experience cycling toward the Buddhas of Bamiyan broke my heart when I thought what became of them.
I now want to read her other books; full Tilt is her first. She is pushing 90, and apparently still writing. I wonder if she still carries that .25 auto?

The second is With Charity Toward None by Florence King. It's kind of misanthrope's reading of historical Misanthropy.
I had read almost nothing of hers beyond her old column in National Review. She is razor-sharp and very very funny.
I can see why Tam is such a fan.
The verse in the last chapter had me laughing out loud last night, which woke the dog.
I think I just reserved all of her books at the local public library.

holmes168
09-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Spy Master is the latest by Brad Thor. I have read all of the Scot Harvath books and really enjoy them.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-04-2018, 09:38 AM
The Other Woman | Daniel Silva

Gabriel Allon story with the Russians, Israelis and Brits. Really complex but very interesting and well written story. Some side commentary in the story about how the Brits think that Pax Americana is fading and they are preparing for it as they, themselves becoming a minor player in the world. Not to positive about Donald who is seen as the Tsar's bidet, so to speak.

Russian threat is being greatly underestimated for asymmetric attacks on the West.

A fast and interesting read, great prose. I love Allon. He and Mitch Rapp are my go to secret agent types.

Pepper
09-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Desert Hawk (Reluctant Sniper Book 1) by Mel Ewing. Available on Amazon. Mel is the owner of Sniper Central and a really good guy. This is his first novel. Looking forward to the next one.

Bigguy
09-04-2018, 11:43 AM
TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST
A Personal Narrative of Life at Sea

Available at Project Gutenberg at no cost:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2055/2055-h/2055-h.htm

Richard Henry Dana, Jr. took a year off before starting college for a sea-fairing adventure. He took a deck job (Before the mast referred to the fact that sailors of his class were not allowed aft the main mast unless requested or to do a specific job. After the mast was officer country.)
He “Rounded the Horn” for California, still part of the Spanish Empire at that time. His adventures and and the rough way he saw sailors treated caused him to take up their cause after he returned home and became a lawyer. His work and efforts reformed much of maritime law regarding the treatment of crew.
Two Years Before the Mast is his story of that voyage, and how close he came to disaster at the whim of a thoughtless captain.

Coyotesfan97
09-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Target Rich Environment by Larry Correia. MHI short stories. Paperback and Kindle sales started today.

Stephanie B
09-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I am about 40 pages into “Gumshoe” by Rob Leininger. The protagonist carries a featherweight Smith .357, with one empty chamber. So I am starting the book, with the assumption that the protagonist is a blithering idiot.

Stephanie B
09-07-2018, 08:41 PM
I am about 40 pages into “Gumshoe” by Rob Leininger. The protagonist carries a featherweight Smith .357, with one empty chamber. So I am starting the book, with the assumption that the protagonist is a blithering idiot.
Turned out that he pretty much was. ((The four rounds in his gun are +P Hydrashoks.) There are a couple more books in the series, which I’ll pass on.

Lester Polfus
09-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Turned out that he pretty much was. ((The four rounds in his gun are +P Hydrashoks.) There are a couple more books in the series, which I’ll pass on.

Did you finish it or fling it across the room?

The only thing I miss about paperbacks it how satisfying it was to throw a crummy one across the room. I'm reluctant to do that with my Kindle.

Lex Luthier
09-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Did you finish it or fling it across the room?

The only thing I miss about paperbacks it how satisfying it was to throw a crummy one across the room. I'm reluctant to do that with my Kindle.

Even with virtual reality, throwing pixels is a distinctly unsatisfying thing. They have to be programmed to go "whump!"

Stephanie B
09-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Did you finish it or fling it across the room? I finished it. It was a library book, so flinging it across the room wasn’t an option.

(It didn’t get any better.)

BigD
09-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Anyone mentioned James Ellroy yet? It's almost historical fiction they way he ties in real world events to his crime noir novels. gangstnovels.

Everyone knows "L.A. Confidential", but I really loved the Underworld Trilogy. "American Tabloid" "Cold Six Thousand" and "Blood's a Rover"

Stephanie B
09-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Loren Estleman's Amos Walker has been PI'ing it around Detroit for over 30 years.

I loved John D. MacDonald's stuff. But some of it hasn't aged very well.

Cheap Shot
09-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Loren Estleman's Amos Walker has been PI'ing it around Detroit for over 30 years.

I loved John D. MacDonald's stuff. But some of it hasn't aged very well.

Agree about MacDonald. Check out Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford series for same theme but more contemporary version.

Binge read over the Labor Day Holiday.

Finished "The Escape" and "No Mans Land" by David Balducci, as well as "Twisted Prey" John Sanford. Highly recommend all.

NEPAKevin
09-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring (https://smile.amazon.com/Washingtons-Spies-Story-Americas-First-ebook/dp/B000XUDHL6/ref=lp_6165851011_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1536681914&sr=1-2) by Alexander Rose, the book the series Turn was based on, is one of today's Kindle deals.

Stephanie B
09-12-2018, 08:37 PM
A Yankee Private's Civil War by Robert Hale Strong. I got a copy by interlibrary loan, as the hardcover edition is long out of print. A paperback and Kindle edition were released a few years go.

I think anyone interested in that war should seriously consider reading the book. Especially for the part at the end when the returning soldiers were one provocation away from burning Chicago to the ground.

HCM
09-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Especially for the part at the end when the returning soldiers were one provocation away from burning Chicago to the ground.

I’m guessing it’s too late to make that happen ?

Drang
09-13-2018, 06:32 AM
Some stuff in there that makes me raise an eyebrow, but all in all a pretty good series. His "Detroit" series of historicals (https://smile.amazon.com/Detroit-Novels-7-Book/dp/B07D3PNBCN/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1536838130&sr=8-25&keywords=loren+estleman+detroit+novels)is pretty good, too. (Link goes to Kindle edition of all 7 volumes.)

Everyone who grew up in Detroit with family in Southeastern Michigan during Prohibition has stories about their uncle who allegedly drove his Model T across the iced-over Detroit River to stock up on Canadian whiskey. In some cases it might be true.

But if you read STRESS*, the telling of the making of The Betsey (a really shitty Laurence Olivier movie) and the shootout in Judge Del Rio's courtroom are pretty much true.

*Detroit PD program "Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets."

Stephanie B
09-13-2018, 08:16 AM
I’m guessing it’s too late to make that happen ?
Mrs. O’Leary’s cow had the best shot at that.

(Yes, I know the story’s probably not true.)

Stephanie B
09-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Some stuff in there that makes me raise an eyebrow, but all in all a pretty good series. His "Detroit" series of historicals (https://smile.amazon.com/Detroit-Novels-7-Book/dp/B07D3PNBCN/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1536838130&sr=8-25&keywords=loren+estleman+detroit+novels)is pretty good, too. (Link goes to Kindle edition of all 7 volumes.)

There has been at least one book recently where he lifted a scene from a much earlier book. Based on the volume of his output, it might have been unintentional.

Drang
09-13-2018, 09:20 AM
There has been at least one book recently where he lifted a scene from a much earlier book. Based on the volume of his output, it might have been unintentional.

Well, you know, it's Detroit, so...

Not as bad as the Sven Hassel books, where the same mechanical ambush resulted in the same kraut running away down the same hill from the same tire from the same deuce and a half in three "different" books.

Coyotesfan97
09-17-2018, 01:50 AM
Ordered! I’ll read it when I’m done reading about Gettysburg again.

Stephanie B
09-17-2018, 09:38 AM
I see that Anthony Beevor has a book out on the Battle of Arnheim. I’ll have to add that to my reading list.

Moshjath
09-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Just finished Sharpe’s Devil, I’ve been binge reading all of Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series over the course of the summer. I definitely enjoyed them, even if they started to get a little bit formulaic at times. I finished with a good understanding of the Peninsular War, and Cornwell does a good job capturing the day to day life of a British Infantryman through that conflict. For those who are unfamiliar with the series, it roughly follows the career of Arthur Wellesley from his time in India through his triumph at Waterloo using a fictional subordinate of his, Richard Sharpe, who rises from a Private Soldier in India to his gaining a commission and fighting as an officer through the war.

Coyotesfan97
09-19-2018, 12:55 AM
I really liked Sharpe’s Trafalger which takes place as he’s traveling back to Britain from India.

My favorite is Sharpe’s Eagle.

Moshjath
09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
I really liked Sharpe’s Trafalger which takes place as he’s traveling back to Britain from India.

My favorite is Sharpe’s Eagle.

Agreed on both accounts.

If you ever read the Starbucks Chronicles, set in the US Civil War, there just happens to be a French Chasseur Colonel there as an observer who speaks perfect English with a British accent and carries a British Heavy Cavalry Sword...

Coyotesfan97
09-20-2018, 02:56 PM
I need to read that series.

Stephanie B
09-24-2018, 05:42 AM

Everyone who grew up in Detroit with family in Southeastern Michigan during Prohibition has stories about their uncle who allegedly drove his Model T across the iced-over Detroit River to stock up on Canadian whiskey. In some cases it might be true.

But if you read STRESS*, the telling of the making of The Betsey (a really shitty Laurence Olivier movie) and the shootout in Judge Del Rio's courtroom are pretty much true.

*Detroit PD program "Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets."
I just read STRESS. I’d say it was rather padded. For example, with regard to the wealthy auto family that was the victim of two crimes, the book really didn’t need a four or six page exposition of the family’s history back to the 1840s.

Mas
09-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Does anyone have a link to a source for the STRESS book? I couldn't seem to find it on Amazon.

Lester Polfus
09-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have a link to a source for the STRESS book? I couldn't seem to find it on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GSU1F8/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536838130&sr=8-25

Mas
09-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Thank you, sir!

Coyotesfan97
09-26-2018, 02:00 AM
A Yankee Private's Civil War by Robert Hale Strong. I got a copy by interlibrary loan, as the hardcover edition is long out of print. A paperback and Kindle edition were released a few years go.

I think anyone interested in that war should seriously consider reading the book. Especially for the part at the end when the returning soldiers were one provocation away from burning Chicago to the ground.

I just finished this book. I highly recommend it too. It’s 258 pages on Kindle and I read it fast. It reminded me of Reflections of a Warrior by Franklyn Miller about his Vietnam experiences.

Thanks for the recommendation Stephanie!

feudist
09-26-2018, 12:52 PM
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GSU1F8/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536838130&sr=8-25

Does that series need to be read in a particular order?

Drang
09-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Does that series need to be read in a particular order?

They might make more sense if read in chronological order of events (Thunder City, Whiskey River, Jitterbug, Edsel, Motown, Stress, King of the Corner) but since they weren't written that way, it probably won't matter.

Bigguy
09-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Tumbleweeds (https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=93704&sid=5e55f210eee4c73aaa7d194713f2e59b)

Let me start out with the "author's" disclaimer that he is not an author, nor highly educated. His effort has more than its fair share of typos and misspellings. I find the pace a little tiresome because he goes into the minutia of everyday events. (Chores and housekeeping.)
Having said that; I love the story, and happily wade through what I consider the slow parts. It is set in 1873 Texas and chronicles a woman, alone on the prairie. Her husband left 11 weeks ago promising to return in 4 days.
The writer is a religious man, and so are his characters. They rely on God when things go wrong and praise him when they go right. Check it out. It is certainly worth the price. (free) In truth, I'd happily pay, at least if not more, the same price for this as any Louis L'amour book.

Gun Mutt
09-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Anything by Marcus Wynne is a winner.

"Marcus Wynne is a charter member of the Been There, Done That Club. He's got all the T-shirts and knows all the secret handshakes. He enjoys poetry, ballet, knife fighting, and serial monogamy with fierce feminists.

He is the author of multiple Amazon ebook bestsellers including contemporary thrillers No Other Option, Warrior in the Shadows, Brother in Arms, as well as With a Vengeance, Johnny Wylde, and Air Marshals."

Coyotesfan97
10-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Empire of Silence Book One The Sun Eater by Christopher Ruocchio. I bought this during a book bomb put on by Larry Correia. It’s a Space Opera Fantasy series and it’s good!

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Silence-Eater-Christopher-Ruocchio-ebook/dp/B07693PKH7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538373485&sr=8-1&keywords=empire+of+silence

Hadrian Marlowe, a man revered as a hero and despised as a murderer, chronicles his tale in the galaxy-spanning debut of the Sun Eater series, merging the best of space opera and epic fantasy.

Stephanie B
10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I’ve been enjoying the “Sir John Fielding” series. They’re mysteries set in 1770s London. The author’s kind of mimicking the writing style of the tome, so they’re sort of wordy.

StraitR
10-07-2018, 09:45 PM
The Federalist Papers is currently free for Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Federalist-Papers-John-Jay-ebook-dp-B01MRGPAS3/dp/B01MRGPAS3/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1538966424

Coyotesfan97
10-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Sweet Silver Blues (Garret PI series) by Glen Cook. I saw this recommended on FB. I just finished it. I liked it and I’ve started reading the second in the series. It’s a private eye/fantasy series.

It should have been a simple job. But for Garrett, a human detective in a world of gnomes, tracking down the woman to whom his dead pal Danny left a fortune in silver is no slight task. Even with the aid of Morley, the toughest half-elf around, Garrett isn't sure he'll make it out alive from a land where magic can be murder, the dead still talk, and vampires are always hungry for human blood.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Silver-Blues-Garrett-P-I-ebook/dp/B000SEFM9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1538977825&sr=1-1&keywords=sweet+silver+blues

Drang
10-08-2018, 02:32 AM
Sweet Silver Blues (Garret PI series) by Glen Cook. I saw this recommended on FB. I just finished it. I liked it and I’ve started reading the second in the series. It’s a private eye/fantasy series.

It should have been a simple job. But for Garrett, a human detective in a world of gnomes, tracking down the woman to whom his dead pal Danny left a fortune in silver is no slight task. Even with the aid of Morley, the toughest half-elf around, Garrett isn't sure he'll make it out alive from a land where magic can be murder, the dead still talk, and vampires are always hungry for human blood.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Silver-Blues-Garrett-P-I-ebook/dp/B000SEFM9C/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1538977825&sr=1-1&keywords=sweet+silver+blues

This series is great, until the last one or two, which just didn't quite do it for me.

FNFAN
10-08-2018, 04:02 AM

With your taste for sci-fi I believe you would thoroughly enjoy the Charles Stross "Laundry" series. The Laundry being the arm of British Intelligence that deals with gibbering horrors who somehow make it into our plain of existence and Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, about the arm of the British Metropolitan Police that deals with some very sinister magicians. I highly recommend the Grant series be listened to in audio book form as Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, the narrator, is amazingly talented. Two of my favorite 'mind-candy' confections!

FNFAN
10-08-2018, 04:07 AM
Anything by Marcus Wynne is a winner.

"Marcus Wynne is a charter member of the Been There, Done That Club. He's got all the T-shirts and knows all the secret handshakes. He enjoys poetry, ballet, knife fighting, and serial monogamy with fierce feminists.

He is the author of multiple Amazon ebook bestsellers including contemporary thrillers No Other Option, Warrior in the Shadows, Brother in Arms, as well as With a Vengeance, Johnny Wylde, and Air Marshals."

I'm going to give the Wylde series a whirl. Thanks!

Stephanie B
10-08-2018, 05:24 AM

I read the first two BA (Before Amazon). I enjoyed them.

Gun Mutt
10-08-2018, 05:47 AM
I'm going to give the Wylde series a whirl. Thanks!

Can't go wrong with Wynne. I finally broke down and got a Kindle just so I could read his newest stuff that are only available in e-format. Damned if I'm not becoming a Kindle fan.

Cheap Shot
10-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Just finishing this book. Awesome read, thought it was very well written. Thank you Steph.

Probably the best the best book I've read this year.

Great insight into:

The Civil War
War as fought by an infantryman 150 years ago.
Life in America 150 years ago
A 19 year old's perspective

blues
10-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Another good book in the same vein is "All For The Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes" (https://www.amazon.com/All-Union-Letters-Elisha-Rhodes/dp/0679738282)

I have always been impressed with both the penmanship and the clarity with which folks expressed themselves during those bygone years. (Not that these books represent the norm. Nonetheless...impressive for their though provoking scope.)

Coyotesfan97
10-09-2018, 01:43 AM
With your taste for sci-fi I believe you would thoroughly enjoy the Charles Stross "Laundry" series. The Laundry being the arm of British Intelligence that deals with gibbering horrors who somehow make it into our plain of existence and Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, about the arm of the British Metropolitan Police that deals with some very sinister magicians. I highly recommend the Grant series be listened to in audio book form as Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, the narrator, is amazingly talented. Two of my favorite 'mind-candy' confections!

Thank you I will definitely look at it!

ETA I bought the first book of each series.

Stephanie B
10-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Over the Top by Arthur Empey (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7962) is available on Project Gutenberg. It was a million-plus bestseller in 1917, when the population was a third of what it is today.

Coyotesfan97
10-23-2018, 11:33 PM
FNFAN Thanks again for the Peter Grant series recommendation. I’m currently reading the binge reading third in the series. I haven’t even looked at Landry yet.

FNFAN
10-24-2018, 12:16 AM
FNFAN Thanks again for the Peter Grant series recommendation. I’m currently reading the binge reading third in the series. I haven’t even looked at Landry yet.

Cool man! Glad you're enjoying the series. I still suggest just giving the first book, Midnight Riot, a listen on Audible. The narrator is extremely talented. You'll be hooked.

Coyotesfan97
10-24-2018, 01:57 AM
Cool man! Glad you're enjoying the series. I still suggest just giving the first book, Midnight Riot, a listen on Audible. The narrator is extremely talented. You'll be hooked.

I listened to the sample and bought it. PF costs me more money...again. Probably cuz the mods are shit. Good stuff!

ACP230
10-24-2018, 03:19 PM
I'm enjoying On The Border With Crook by John G. Bourke. The book was first
published in 1891 and republished in 2104 by Skyhorse Publications.

Bourke was a Cavalry Lt serving in the campaign against the Apaches in Arizona.
He respected the Apaches as adversaries, trackers, and irregular fighters. He didn't have a lot of good stuff
to say about the way the U.S. govt managed the reservations. He later fought against the Sioux and Cheyannes
and complimented them on their horsemanship.

I knew a bit about Crook before but Rourke's book amplified what I'd read. Crook was a hunter, a fine shot, and sometimes provided game meat to feed the troops at his posts. Not a spit and polish guy, he wore hunting clothes
more than the uniform it seems. He also put great store in logistics and kept the mules of the pack trains in good condition (whenever possible.) He fought a lot of winter engagements and they helped break the will of the Apaches.

Some the older books are written in a more florid style. Bourke did not indulge in that style of prose much.
Very readable book.

Bigguy
10-27-2018, 09:56 AM
The second Book in my "Given" series is now available on Audio Book. This my third Audio book. As usual, the cancer book is still outselling all of the others in all formats. Interesting. I didn't expect that.
https://www.amazon.com/Name-Im-Given-Decide-Will/dp/B07JN72KV4/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1540648776&sr=8-1

Bigguy
10-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Currently reading “The Nowhere Man,” by Greg Hurwitz. There is an interesting observation by the antagonist in Chapter 15.

“Most Americans seem to believe that safety assurances are awarded at birth like factory-issued warrantees. So far as I can tell, the only American growth industry is entitlement. — — — For the sheep, moral outrage is the coin of the relm.”

BehindBlueI's
11-06-2018, 12:04 PM
I just finished "Drive" by Daniel Pink. A book on "the surprising truth about what motivates us" per the cover blurb. I was kind of meh on it. Personally, I would have liked more concrete and actionable material and less history of academics and researchers behind it. More detailed case studies, etc. I feel like it's either a good preface for someone with no background in the studies mentioned or a nice sales pitch for those unconvinced of the underlying tenants. I might not have been the target audience and, while I did pick up a few nuggets, would likely have been better off with a less introductory book.

That said, easy to read with a coherent argument about why the self- driven intrinsic motivation theories are generally better then carrot/ stick approaches for someone just dipping a toe into the pool of the subject.

Bigguy
11-08-2018, 07:41 PM
The Liberty Box Trilogy.

This is a Young Adult, Dystopian Sci-fi with a touch of romance thrown in. So … not the sort of thing I’d normally recommend here.
But!
These characters are in their mid-twenties, so I’m not sure it's truly YA. The main thing is this lady’s perspective on society. She believes strongly in personal responsibility and freedoms. The Mind control used by the Potentate is an exaggerated extension of the political use of the human propensity to allow themselves to believe a pleasant lie rather than face an unpleasant reality. (Socialism) Her description of the downfall of society sounds remarkably like some of the predictions I’ve hear on this and similar boards.
She makes mistakes in the use of firearms, but she is well meaning. You can tell she had researched the topic, but likely has little practical experience. I’ve recommended she come here and provided her with a link.
https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Box-C-Gray-ebook/dp/B0161X44Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541723765&sr=8-1&keywords=the+liberty+box&dpID=51t6l9jxfiL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Glenn E. Meyer
11-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Red War - it's the new Mitch Rapp. Pretty good. The story does use ideas from previous stories with a Russian agent going through the psychological conundrums that Mitch has gone through. Got it from the library. Don't know if I would pay hardcover price for it.

In Darkest Europe by Turtledove. He's the guy who wrote Guns of the South, with the Confederates getting AKs. This book posits modern times where Europe goes religious fundamentalist and forgoes the Scientific Revolution. The Islamic countries don't go fundamentalism and become the center of modernism and science. There was a time that that area was very sophisticated but chose the religious path to more restricted and antiscience life. So Harry flips it. Pretty interesting as the Islamic world has to deal with Christian fundamentalist terrorism.

JAD
11-10-2018, 03:00 PM
This thing is awesome:
George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (Little Books of Wisdom) https://www.amazon.com/dp/155709103X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cIZ5BbCDA9SEG

Fundamental truths about managing vermin and treating your betters respectfully combined with head-spinningly convoluted prose. So tasty.

feudist
11-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Just got the Kindle version. Thanks!

People1213
11-10-2018, 06:45 PM
I recommend you Shantaram, but only 1 part. I have read it for 3 days)

Cheap Shot
11-11-2018, 10:12 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Punisher-Snipers-Account-Battle/dp/1501127268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541949268&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+punisher+book&dpID=517LefBJbBL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

The Last Punisher: A SEAL Team THREE Sniper's True Account of the Battle of Ramadi

"The Last Punisher is a “thoughtful, funny, and raw…always compelling” (Bing West, New York Times bestselling author of No True Glory) first-person account of the Iraq War. With wry humor and moving testimony, Kevin Lacz tells the bold story of his tour in Iraq with SEAL Team THREE, the warrior elite of the Navy. This legendary unit, known as “The Punishers,” included Chris Kyle (American Sniper), Mike Monsoor, Ryan Job, and Marc Lee. These brave men were instrumental in securing the key locations in the pivotal 2006 Battle of Ramadi.

Minute by minute, Lacz relays the edge-of-your-seat details of his team’s missions in Ramadi, offering a firsthand glimpse into the heated combat, extreme conditions, and harrowing experiences they faced every day. Through it all, Lacz and his teammates formed unbreakable bonds and never lost sight of the cause: protecting America with their fight."

Book exceeded expectations. Thought it was well written, and Lacz has a compelling story. Highly recommend.

I'm also a listener of Jocko Willinks podcast. Jocko was the Task Unit leader and is referenced a couple times in the book. I read Kyle's book also, and its fascinating to me to get each of their perspectives.

John Hearne
11-25-2018, 10:25 PM
I do not have the time for a detailed book review but trust me, you need to buy and read the book “Unheeded Warnings: Twin Tragedies at Fairchild Air Force Base” by Andy Brown. I just finished the book today and it has been one of the most impressive (and enjoyable) reads I’ve had in a long time. As a bonus, it is on sale for Kindle for $2.99 – link: https://www.amazon.com/Warnings-Unheeded-Tragedies-Fairchild-Force-ebook/dp/B01N46GYHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543201281&sr=8-1&keywords=unheeded+warnings

In case you don’t remember, Fairchild Air Force Base experienced an active shooter event in which a mentally ill former service member returned to kill the psychologists who he thought ended his career. The shooter’s rampage was brought to an abrupt end by an Air Force Security Policeman who engaged the bad guy (armed with an AK variant) and hit him at ~70 yards. The Airman who fired the shot is Andy Brown, the author, but you wouldn’t know that he was involved from reading the book. Brown had done a remarkable job of separating himself from the events and presenting them in a logical, coherent fashion.

The book illustrates many points, not the least of all is how incompetent large bureaucracies can be. The second tragedy referenced in the title was the crash of a B-52 that was practicing for an upcoming air show. The pilot had a long history of reckless conduct but it was repeatedly ignored by his superiors. It was also heart breaking to see how the same system almost destroyed Brown after his heroic act by failing to support him to the point he had to leave the Air Force.
I really appreciated the view inside of Brown’s mind. You really gain a sense that he took his job as a calling and worked hard to prepare himself to be a true professional. He didn’t just shoot when he was off-duty but did all of the reading you’d expect an expert to do.

As a side note, Brown does an amazing and terrifying job of putting you in the shoes of the victims of the active shooter event. You are swept along much like they were, experiencing the carnage and terror but being completely unable to do anything about it. This section is enough to make you want to never be unarmed in public.

It is hard to say enough good things about this book. I highly recommend the book – it is a great, engaging read that teaches a lot of important lessons.

Coyotesfan97
11-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the review John it’s ordered and sitting at least five down in my reading list. I’m on book 7 of the Peter Grant series BTW.

FNFAN
11-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the review John it’s ordered and sitting at least five down in my reading list. I’m on book 7 of the Peter Grant series BTW.

:D

FNFAN
11-26-2018, 05:49 AM
Double post

Otaku.edc
12-09-2018, 11:38 AM
ATOMIC HABITS by James Clear

An actually useful self help book.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith -a really good thriller. Surprisingly, it's by the author of the Harry Potter series under a pseudonym.

Jaywalker
12-09-2018, 11:30 PM
I think I would have to create a pseudonym account to list the books I really like and read... I used to put a plastic cover on them while riding on buses and subways. No sense in embarrassing the uniform...

TheNewbie
12-10-2018, 12:00 AM
Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta.

The book details the diplomacy, politics, culture and military of Japan leading up to Pearl Harbor. It offers both an interesting history, and lessons for all areas of life.

Sasage
12-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Currently reading Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. Distilled version of his podcast interviews.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

peterb
12-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Just finished “Creepology” and was impressed. It’s a voice-of-reason approach to dealing with what can be an emotional issue. Have ordered extra copies for some of the women in my life.

Here’s Tam’s review that got me interested:
————————————-
https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2018/12/social-self-defense.html

Social Self Defense
The unspoken bogeyman in the self-defense industry is the actual statistics of self-defense. If you don't live in the 'hood and avoid entertainment districts late at night and don't do drugs, your chances of being hit by random violent crime are really pretty small.

But rather a lot of violent crime isn't random. Statistically speaking, you probably already know the person from whom you're most likely to need to defend yourself.

And there are levels of predation that are not violent, and not necessarily criminal. There are people who transgress boundaries all the time, sometimes with no intent other than hoping for a date, and some because they actually derive pleasure from causing others discomfort.

Does this sound uncomfortably familiar? Then you need to read Creepology. I just finished it and it's a fantastic read. It's a rare self-defense book that's this relevant, useful, and well-written. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Creepology-Self-defense-your-social-life-ebook/dp/B075SFWCCK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1544534604&sr=8-1&keywords=creepology&linkCode=sl1&tag=vifrthpo-20&linkId=7cfa727a86768f08fac2c55fde32f552&language=en_US

NEPAKevin
12-22-2018, 03:05 PM
But rather a lot of violent crime isn't random. Statistically speaking, you probably already know the person from whom you're most likely to need to defend yourself.

This was one of the themes of a book I just finished reading titled Spilled Milk: Based On A True Story by K.L Randis. (https://www.amazon.com/Spilled-Milk-Based-True-Story-ebook/dp/B00D9GY2BU/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1545507111&sr=1-3&keywords=spilt+milk) It is a fictitious account (names were changed) of a local woman who was physically, emotionally and sexually abused by her father from a very young age who then went the distance in having him convicted and sent to jail when she realized that would be the only way she could protect her siblings. The book was named after an incident where the author had the revelation that it was normal for child spilling a glass of milk to get screamed at and have the shit kicked out of him or her. Not an easy story to read.

LockedBreech
12-22-2018, 04:07 PM
I don't know if anyone else is into hard science fiction, but I might save someone a few wasted days here. I finally ran out of books by the astoundingly great Alastair Reynolds (one of my favorite authors of all time now), so I wanted more hard science fiction. A bunch of places online said Iain M. Banks 'Culture' series of novels are fantastic and genius and visionary.

Do not listen to those opinions. AVOID.

I read Consider Phlebas, the first novel, over the course of a few days. It was marvelous. Richly developed characters, exciting and unique story, just fantastic. Not quite as good as Reynolds, but a hoot. Until the last 10% of the book. I won't spoil, but it made the other 90% pointless. Dumbest, most pointless, most unfulfilling to a book I can remember. As an extra insult, I liked the first half of the book so much I bought Book 2 of the series before I finished. So now I am slogging through out of raw spite.

Anyway. I do highly recommend Alastair Reynold's superb books, most of all Chasm City, which is one of the best books I've read in 2-3 years.

JSGlock34
12-23-2018, 04:01 PM
Just finished Richard K Morgan's Thin Air (https://www.amazon.com/Thin-Air-Richard-K-Morgan/dp/0345493125/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545597806&sr=8-1&keywords=thin+air). It is set in the same universe as Thirteen (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SCHCAQ/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i4), though the books are independent stories that take place on different planets with different characters, and during different time periods (it remains unclear to me whether these books are also set in the same universe as the Takeshi Kovacs novels, which would take place hundreds of years later). I generally like RKM's sci-fi stuff, but I wouldn't say he broke new ground here. His books are very similar to each other, and his protagonist is always the same guy, whether it is Takeshi Kovacs (Altered Carbon), Carl Marsalis (Thirteen) or Hakan Veil (Thin Air), with the same ex-elite killer background (whether Envoy, 13, or Overrider), and same Corporate Government vs. Colonial revolutionary conspiracy plot.

I probably wouldn't reach for Thin Air again - I think the height of RKM's game was the Kovacs series and would rather read those again - but if you like his brand of ultra-violent, hard sci-fi, well, here's some more.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/816SSfp6zRL.jpg

NEPAKevin
01-06-2019, 11:06 AM
13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi Kindle Edition
Amazon Kindle Daily Deal, Wed. 05-10-17 (https://amazon.com/13-Hours-Account-Happened-Benghazi-ebook/dp/B00LEWR0SS?_encoding=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=pe_170810_237810820_pe_row1_b4)

Back on Kindle daily deals $2.99 today(01-06-2019).

Glenn E. Meyer
01-06-2019, 12:28 PM
The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America's Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War
Andrew Delbanco

Great read if you are history buff. If you are a Southern mythology devotee, you won't like this. The book's description of the Fugitive Slave laws and state, Federal and individual actions pro and con are quite relevant to today's debates about how one should react to current social issues.

Stephanie B
01-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Infantry Soldier by George W. Nell, about his experiences in the Battle of the Bulge. (2000). 55 years afterwards, the soldiers still hated the REMFs who helped themselves to the winter gear that didn’t make it to the front, and SHAEF for not making it a priority to get winter clothing to the front. Things were so bad that the medics were taking galoshes from GIs being sent to the rear.

The 99th Infantry Division had 30% casualties from frostbite and trench foot before the battle started.

SeriousStudent
01-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Infantry Soldier by George W. Nell, about his experiences in the Battle of the Bulge. (2000). 55 years afterwards, the soldiers still hated the REMFs who helped themselves to the winter gear that didn’t make it to the front, and SHAEF for not making it a priority to get winter clothing to the front. Things were so bad that the medics were taking galoshes from GIs being sent to the rear.

The 99th Infantry Division had 30% casualties from frostbite and trench foot before the battle started.

I had an uncle who was a tanker in the Battle of the Bulge. He echoed those sentiments.

NEPAKevin
01-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Sadly the problems fighting the cold were even worse during the Korean War.

Cold Injuries in Korea During Winter of 1950-1951 - DTIC (https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a800086.pdf)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFgee2teh0

Lester Polfus
01-07-2019, 03:08 PM
The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America's Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War
Andrew Delbanco

Great read if you are history buff. If you are a Southern mythology devotee, you won't like this. The book's description of the Fugitive Slave laws and state, Federal and individual actions pro and con are quite relevant to today's debates about how one should react to current social issues.

Thank you. My Amazon wishlist just got +1'd.

luckyman
01-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Ooh thanks for this; I haven’t heard of it before. My dad spent a year+ re-learning how to walk after getting shot in the leg during this battle; but of the million stories he and his VFW buddies had, not a single one was about the battle of the bulge. I figure it must have been pretty miserable.

JDD
01-07-2019, 04:03 PM
I don't know if anyone else is into hard science fiction, but I might save someone a few wasted days here. I finally ran out of books by the astoundingly great Alastair Reynolds (one of my favorite authors of all time now), so I wanted more hard science fiction. A bunch of places online said Iain M. Banks 'Culture' series of novels are fantastic and genius and visionary.

Do not listen to those opinions. AVOID.

I read Consider Phlebas, the first novel, over the course of a few days. It was marvelous. Richly developed characters, exciting and unique story, just fantastic. Not quite as good as Reynolds, but a hoot. Until the last 10% of the book. I won't spoil, but it made the other 90% pointless. Dumbest, most pointless, most unfulfilling to a book I can remember. As an extra insult, I liked the first half of the book so much I bought Book 2 of the series before I finished. So now I am slogging through out of raw spite.

Anyway. I do highly recommend Alastair Reynold's superb books, most of all Chasm City, which is one of the best books I've read in 2-3 years.

I am sorry you did not enjoy Consider Phlebas, but I would strongly reccomend you give the other books a try. One thing that helped me with Ian M Banks (his Culture books, not the other ones) was to treat the entire series as stand-alone novels in the same universe.

In that light, "Player of Games" and "Excession" are my two favorites, and are both far better to start with than "Consider Phlebas."

WRT Reynolds; I am really looking forward to the sequel to "Revenger" that is dropping on January 15th. He consistently writes good SF, but Revenger was one of my favorites. He is also the author that I had to describe to my wife as: "like hard sci-fi, but more... gothic."

LockedBreech
01-07-2019, 05:36 PM
I am sorry you did not enjoy Consider Phlebas, but I would strongly reccomend you give the other books a try. One thing that helped me with Ian M Banks (his Culture books, not the other ones) was to treat the entire series as stand-alone novels in the same universe.

In that light, "Player of Games" and "Excession" are my two favorites, and are both far better to start with than "Consider Phlebas."

WRT Reynolds; I am really looking forward to the sequel to "Revenger" that is dropping on January 15th. He consistently writes good SF, but Revenger was one of my favorites. He is also the author that I had to describe to my wife as: "like hard sci-fi, but more... gothic."

I followed this advice and Player of Games was absolutely superb. I'm back on board at least trying. Started Use of Weapons last night.

Revenger was just GREAT, reminded me of that one episode of Firefly where the ship gets taken over. I think the new one I already have pre-ordered, it's called Shadow Captain or something like that?

For a more unusual Reynolds I enjoy Century Rain, which was definitely strong into that 'gothic' vibe.

I still think Phlebas had a stupid, pointless ending, but as time has gone on I respect the scale and world-building it established, and I loved the first 90% of the book. That world-building really made Player of Games sing without having to slog through backstory building.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Lethal White by Galbraith who is Rowlings (Harry Potter). Good mystery in UK. Keeps you interested through a long book.

Kukuforguns
01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
A Perfect Red: Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire (https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Red-Empire-Espionage-Desire-ebook/dp/B001HPW9QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547140568&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+red)

If you enjoyed Charles Mann's 1491 or 1493, give A Perfect Red a try. The book discusses the espionage, piracy, intrigue, adventure, and new science surrounding Europe's attempts to acquire a perfect red dye. Spain found one in Mexico and the rest of Europe wanted it. Badly. The English resorted to piracy. The Dutch tried to create new plantations to produce the dye. Geeks were using the new-fangled microscopes to determine whether the dye was animal or mineral. Guys with big balls were bluffing harbor masters. Gardeners exterminated priceless specimens.

The author does a good job of providing context and weaving in adventure to make for a very readable book.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-13-2019, 12:13 PM
Color Blind - a Jesse Stone book by Coleman.

Not a bad story. A realistic portrayal of Stone's alcoholism. A white supremacy plot that doesn't have a happy ending for all involved. The Stone books after Parker's death are better than the Spenser ones.

Coyotesfan97
01-14-2019, 11:59 PM
I purchased Witchy Winter (Witchy Eye Series Book 2) by DJ Butler. I’m rereading Witchy Eye before starting on Witchy Winter. D.J. Butler also wrote the Rock Band Fights Evil series. I originally bought Witchy Eye during a Larry Correia Book Bomb.

Here’s a blurb about Witchy Eye

A STUNNING BAEN BOOKS DEBUT. A brilliant Americana flintlock fantasy novel set in a world of Appalachian magic that works.

Sarah Calhoun is the fifteen-year-old daughter of the Elector Andrew Calhoun, one of Appalachee’s military heroes and one of the electors who gets to decide who will next ascend as the Emperor of the New World. None of that matters to Sarah. She has a natural talent for hexing and one bad eye, and all she wants is to be left alone—especially by outsiders.

But Sarah’s world gets turned on its head at the Nashville Tobacco Fair when a Yankee wizard-priest tries to kidnap her. Sarah fights back with the aid of a mysterious monk named Thalanes, who is one of the not-quite-human Firstborn, the Moundbuilders of the Ohio. It is Thalanes who reveals to Sarah a secret heritage she never dreamed could be hers.

Now on a desperate quest with Thalanes to claim this heritage, she is hunted by the Emperor’s bodyguard of elite dragoons, as well as by darker things—shapeshifting Mockers and undead Lazars, and behind them a power more sinister still. If Sarah cannot claim her heritage, it may mean the end to her, her family—and to the world where she is just beginning to find her place.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Long Road to Mercy by Baldacci.

I have enjoyed some of his books. However, this one not so much. The character is forced to have unusual attributes and back story. The plot is clearly the Donald type trying to establish an autocracy in the USA with a fantastic scheme that our hero just happens to stop. Almost shoot outs between the FBI, ICE and rogue military.

There is a Hannibal Lecter childhood subplot to get you to buy the next book.

If you want more reviews, read the Amazon three stars for a realistic take. That's true with most books and other reviews. The 5s are somehow paid off or in it for fan fanatic glory seeking.

Fade to Black by David Rosenfelt - pretty good mystery.

Gun Mutt
01-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Color Blind - a Jesse Stone book by Coleman.
Not a bad story. A realistic portrayal of Stone's alcoholism. A white supremacy plot that doesn't have a happy ending for all involved. The Stone books after Parker's death are better than the Spenser ones.
For the most part, I can't read books about characters by anyone but the author that created them, save for the homage author that completes an unfinished final book, like Parker did for Chandler. Parker, btw, is one of my all time favorite authors and Spenser was my surrogate father figure in a lot of ways. (Side note to all the children of absentee fathers, don't pick fictional characters to be your roll models, it's fekkin impossible to live up to the standards they set.)

I remember an interview Parker did, with Oprah IIRC, and she asked him who he would like to see finish his final Spenser, should he leave one and he immediately replied: Elmore Leonard. I was bummed that the family picked someone lesser. Same interview, she asks what he would say to his critics and he blew a big raspberry at the camera.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-17-2019, 10:12 AM
The Vince Flynn books are ok as follow ups. The movie was horror (American Assassin).

Stephanie B
01-29-2019, 01:14 PM
The Poison Squad by Deborah Blum. It’s about the fight to bring about pure food and drug laws in the first part of the 20th century. That was a time when American food products were so adulterated that many European countries forbade the importation of such foods. Bourbon and rye whiskeys, at the time, were more often synthetic ethanol, watered down, with flavoring and coloring added. Fruit preserves usually had no fruit in them.

Those who believe that all government regulations are bad and that corporations can always be trusted to do the right thing might want to read some other book.

NEPAKevin
01-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Those who believe that all government regulations are bad and that corporations can always be trusted to do the right thing might want to read some other book.

Not really. This is just an example of how government regulations, much like unions, originally served to protect the masses. It was only when special interests found they could be used as political tools to manipulate certain ends that they became corrupted like almost everything else that DC touches.

Bigguy
01-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Need help/advice. Let me explain my dellima.

I’m currently enrolled in Kindel Book Review. This is a Kindle program where you are paid a minimal amount to purchase and review books. I’ve arranged to have my books reviewed rather than accept payment. They want honest reviews so for the most part, if you think it’s 2 stars, then give it 2 stars and explain why in your review. You can select from several genre’s, but the book title will be sent to you. I’ve read some good ones, and I’ve read some stinkers and so far have been honest with my reviews.

The latest book I’ve received is “The Siegfried Contingency.” (https://www.amazon.com/Siegfried-Contingency-Steven-Laskin-ebook/dp/B07LDXBV7R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548857839&sr=8-1&keywords=the+siegfried+contingency) I happened to notice it already has five, 5 star reviews. The first one gushes about the opening paragraph. I began reading expectantly ….. and was extremely disappointed. I didn’t think the depiction of the robbery was anywhere near realistic. What I’ve read so far, (just a couple of chapters) hasn’t gotten any better. My impression is that the writer has no experience with real violence and is just pulling stuff from his head.

So, how to explain the other reviews? If you click the link below and then click the book cover, you can read the first few chapters on Amazon. I would be grateful if some folks, more knowledgable than me on this subject, would read the opening sequence (Just the first couple of paragraphs about the robbery) and let me know your opinion. I want to be fair in my review. Based on how unbelievable I find it, I’d likely zing it. But before I give somebody a bad review, I want to be sure I’m not the one who doesn’t understand violence.

https://www.amazon.com/Siegfried-Contingency-Steven-Laskin-ebook/dp/B07LDXBV7R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548857839&sr=8-1&keywords=the+siegfried+contingency

Kukuforguns
01-30-2019, 07:07 PM
I would be grateful if some folks, more knowledgable than me on this subject, would read the opening sequence (Just the first couple of paragraphs about the robbery) and let me know your opinion. I want to be fair in my review. Based on how unbelievable I find it, I’d likely zing it. But before I give somebody a bad review, I want to be sure I’m not the one who doesn’t understand violence.

https://www.amazon.com/Siegfried-Contingency-Steven-Laskin-ebook/dp/B07LDXBV7R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548857839&sr=8-1&keywords=the+siegfried+contingency

I'm not sure I have the experience you identified, but the writing is tedious.

BN
01-30-2019, 07:34 PM
Yep, tedious. Looked like the author was trying to be cute and not succeeding.

BehindBlueI's
01-31-2019, 11:03 PM
I couldn't even get to the robbery. The writing seems like more of a showcase for vocabulary words than a naturally flowing and descriptive story. The word that came to mind was "ponderous" and I've no inclination to finish the first chapter, let alone purchase it.

JAD
02-02-2019, 12:41 AM
I’m enjoying the Kristin Lavransdatter books by Sigrid Undset. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Lavransdatter?wprov=sfti1

It’s an epic written in the 20s about a 14th century Norwegian family. It won her the Nobel; it’s easy to see why. Read the Tiina Nunnally translation if you don’t speak Norwegian.

Kristin Lavransdatter: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143039164/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J1svCbFK22BPA

Jason F
02-02-2019, 11:51 AM
I’m enjoying the Kristin Lavransdatter books by Sigrid Undset. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristin_Lavransdatter?wprov=sfti1

It’s an epic written in the 20s about a 14th century Norwegian family. It won her the Nobel; it’s easy to see why. Read the Tiina Nunnally translation if you don’t speak Norwegian.

Kristin Lavransdatter: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143039164/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J1svCbFK22BPA

Sounds fascinating!! I've never heard of this, but I just added it to my list of Amazon Books Wishlist and hopefully I can get to it this year. Thanks for telling us about it JAD !

Bigguy
02-04-2019, 02:53 PM
I just started "Zero Day" by David Baldacci. I'm on Chapter 12. (About 14%) It's a lot like a Reacher novel by Lee Child. It's been pretty good so far. Lots of Gun and Mil talk. Seems pretty authentic from what little I know.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Princes at War: The Bitter Battle Inside Britain's Royal Family in the Darkest Days of WWII
Deborah Cadbury

Story of the Royal family in WWII, with emphasis on the suspect behavior of Edward VIII who abdicated. Pretty clear that he and his wife were close to being traitors to the UK. He wanted the throne back with his wife (who was a really bad person and pro-Nazi). Interesting side lights of American big business types who were pro Nazi from political viewpoints and/or immoral principles of just making money from anyone.

Bigguy
02-07-2019, 08:32 AM
I just finished "Zero Day" by David Baldacci. It's a lot like a Reacher novel by Lee Child. It's been pretty good. Lots of Gun and Mil talk. Seems pretty authentic from what little I know.

— — —

If you enjoy the “Reacher” books by Lee Child, then this one is right up your alley. Author David Baldacci has created an interesting character in Special Agent John Puller with the Army’s CID. Puller is sent to the coal fields of West Virginia to investigate the death of a retired Colonel who had been with DIA. He knows from the start that things are not what they seem and he is on his own, possibly the designated scape goat.
He meets and is assisted by an attractive, but very competent Sheriff’s Deputy Samantha (Sam) Cole.
Baldacci does a remarkable job depicting final thoes of the dying coal town. We see family skeletons and loyalties tested. All of this adds to the many twists and surprises that keep you guessing right up to the final chapter.
Baldacci portrays military life in detail as Puller has to navigate obstacles of tradition and ambition. He’s not completely sure who he can trust.
This is the first of the “John Puller” books and I’ll likely check out the others. I highly recommend this book.

feudist
02-07-2019, 09:39 AM
If you like Hard Science Fiction, you can do no better that The Expanse series.

Physics based space travel the consequences of which drive the entire plot. A truly epic scale packed with humdrum day in the life details that bring living and working in space alive in a way that is rare in fiction. Great characters who evolve over the course of the series, some truly dreadful antagonists and the remnants of spooky powerful alien technology.

My highest recommendation.

blues
02-07-2019, 09:52 AM
I'm not much of a Sci-Fi guy but I thought the "Three-Body Problem" trilogy by Liu Cixin was fairly interesting.

(The translation from Chinese is not stellar and the characters are somewhat one dimensional...but the "science" was interesting as were the moral, ethical, scientific and political issues which developed over a period of centuries.)

Medusa
02-08-2019, 05:06 PM
I read a lot, tending toward literary sci fi, usually but not always feminist in bent.

I’m enjoying 13 by Richard K Morgan. It’s sci fi, set 100 years from now. The discussion of how and why the United States imploded, and along what lines, and where the fault would lie, rings true. And Morgan’s muscled, virile prose and good story telling is always fun.

Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice is fascinating. Ursula LeGuin’s Left Hand of Darkness is old but classic.

Scanning the thread for suggestions....always appreciated.

JDD
02-09-2019, 05:35 PM
I read a lot, tending toward literary sci fi, usually but not always feminist in bent.

I’m enjoying 13 by Richard K Morgan. It’s sci fi, set 100 years from now. The discussion of how and why the United States imploded, and along what lines, and where the fault would lie, rings true. And Morgan’s muscled, virile prose and good story telling is always fun.

Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice is fascinating. Ursula LeGuin’s Left Hand of Darkness is old but classic.

Scanning the thread for suggestions....always appreciated.

You might enjoy "The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. I started on them right after I finished the Leckie's Justice series. They are short reads, but fun.

You might also like "The Ninefox Gambit" by Yoon Ha Lee, its a bit odd, but enjoyable.

JSGlock34
02-09-2019, 05:57 PM

If you like Thirteen you might also like Morgan’s most recent release, Thin Air, which is based in the same universe.

I like Morgan’s stuff too, though all of his protagonists are basically the same guy. But I like that guy.

I did enjoy his short stint writing some Black Widow comics. They’d make a decent movie, but too edgy for the MCU.

Medusa
02-09-2019, 06:47 PM
You might enjoy "The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. I started on them right after I finished the Leckie's Justice series. They are short reads, but fun.

You might also like "The Ninefox Gambit" by Yoon Ha Lee, its a bit odd, but enjoyable.

Yes, I read and enjoyed Ninefox - like Ancillary Justice, it’s a genuinely original universe. There is a sequel to it I’ve read, and I understand he has a new book out too.

I read Wells’ The Cloud Roads and found it competent if a bit of a shrug. Murderbot is on my list but my library doesn’t have it and I’m not sure I’m willing to spend an audible credit or drop coin on such a short book when my library (which is an amazing system) has so much else to read. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Medusa
02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
If you like Thirteen you might also like Morgan’s most recent release, Thin Air, which is based in the same universe.

I like Morgan’s stuff too, though all of his protagonists are basically the same guy. But I like that guy.

I did enjoy his short stint writing some Black Widow comics. They’d make a decent movie, but too edgy for the MCU.

Indeed, I’ve read all the Altered Carbon books and Thin Air as well, the latter being slightly gun pornish at times (which I’m fine with when in the mood). I agree his male protagonists are mostly the same guy, a guy I’d love to f*ck, savagely, and would then likely regret it yet repeat the error. ;) many of his female protagonists are also very similar and not hard to identify with. So they are fun books; 13 has more philosophical substance and I think is the better for it.

He can be very uneven....the last AC book was pretty weak sauce I thought.

I’m terribly ignorant of comics. I try but just haven’t found the right one....

Stephanie B
02-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Big Week, by James Holland. It's about the events leading up to the week-long air battle (Operation Argument) that was fought February 18-25, 1944.

The author is British; he comes down very hard on RAF Air Marshals "Bomber" Harris and Leigh-Mallory; the former for rigidity to the point of zealotry and the latter for timidity. He makes the point that Operation Argument was a necessary precursor for D-Day, in that the Luftwaffe's losses were so high that they ceased to be an effective force. By May, 1944, the USAAF and the RAF had a nearly 10-1 superiority in fighters over the Luftwaffe. The training differences were stark; American pilots had several hundred hours of flight time before joining an operational squadron (including instrument qualification); new German pilots had 110 or so hours and little instrument training; they were slaughtered. Besides poor training, other than the new Me-262, by then, all of the German fighters were obsolescent and could not outfight a good pilot flying a P-47, let alone a P-51.

By the end of Operation Argument, the western allies had achieved air supremacy.

SeriousStudent
02-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Big Week, by James Holland. It's about the events leading up to the week-long air battle (Operation Argument) that was fought February 18-25, 1944.

The author is British; he comes down very hard on RAF Air Marshals "Bomber" Harris and Leigh-Mallory; the former for rigidity to the point of zealotry and the latter for timidity. He makes the point that Operation Argument was a necessary precursor for D-Day, in that the Luftwaffe's losses were so high that they ceased to be an effective force. By May, 1944, the USAAF and the RAF had a nearly 10-1 superiority in fighters over the Luftwaffe. The training differences were stark; American pilots had several hundred hours of flight time before joining an operational squadron (including instrument qualification); new German pilots had 110 or so hours and little instrument training; they were slaughtered. Besides poor training, other than the new Me-262, by then, all of the German fighters were obsolescent and could not outfight a good pilot flying a P-47, let alone a P-51.

By the end of Operation Argument, the western allies had achieved air supremacy.

I read that a few months back, and thought it was excellent.

That lead me to a The German Aces Speak, also an interesting book.

Medusa
02-14-2019, 08:31 PM
I read that a few months back, and thought it was excellent.

That lead me to a The German Aces Speak, also an interesting book.

Horrido! by Toliver and Constable is another good book on that subject.

I read Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel as a girl (yeah, I’m weird, I know) and what stayed with me was his saying - only he is lost who gives himself up for lost. An impressive warrior and athlete with much to teach....even if he literally went to war on the orders of one of the most evil governments of modern times. If you’re interested in the era and these pilots it’s a worthy read.

SeriousStudent
02-14-2019, 09:59 PM
I have Rudel's book as well. Two other pilots I have enjoyed reading about are Robin Olds and Adolf Galland.

If we ever perfect human cloning, I hope they kept some of Olds' DNA.

Medusa
02-14-2019, 10:05 PM
I have Rudel's book as well. Two other pilots I have enjoyed reading about are Robin Olds and Adolf Galland.

If we ever perfect human cloning, I hope they kept some of Olds' DNA.

I enjoyed both of their books as well, despite the usual blind spots one finds with Olds. I. Sure you’ve also read Thiud Ridge by Broughton. Bury Us Upside Down by Newman, et.al. was an interesting read on the f-100 FACs.

DMF13
02-15-2019, 12:16 AM
For you air power aficionados here are a few other books you might enjoy:

"Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II," by Jay Stout

"Target Tokyo: Jimmy Doolittle and the Raid That Avenged Pearl Harbor," by James Scott

"The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War," by Dan Hampton

DMF13
02-15-2019, 12:20 AM
I enjoyed both of their books as well, despite the usual blind spots one finds with Olds. I. Sure you’ve also read Thiud Ridge by Broughton. Bury Us Upside Down by Newman, et.al. was an interesting read on the f-100 FACs.If you enjoyed "Bury Us Upside Down," you should see if you can find a copy of "The Ravens: The Men Who Flew in America's Secret War in Laos," by Christopher Robbins.

Medusa
02-15-2019, 12:27 AM
For you air power aficionados here are a few other books you might enjoy:

"Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II," by Jay Stout

"Target Tokyo: Jimmy Doolittle and the Raid That Avenged Pearl Harbor," by James Scott

"The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War," by Dan Hampton

Sorry for my terrible typing above. Sigh.

I’ve been considering The Hunter Killers. Reviews kinda put me off, but I’m sure I’ll end up reading it at some point.

I have also been intermittently reading three novels called Vietnam Air War Trilogy by Tom Wilson. For the price of free it’s ok. Wouldn’t pay for it though.

DMF13
02-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Sorry for my terrible typing above. Sigh.

I’ve been considering The Hunter Killers. Reviews kinda put me off, but I’m sure I’ll end up reading it at some point.

I have also been intermittently reading three novels called Vietnam Air War Trilogy by Tom Wilson. For the price of free it’s ok. Wouldn’t pay for it though.Hampton isn't the greatest author ever, but he does a good job. He also writes about the origins of the Wild Weasels from the perspective of someone who flew the modern replacement, the F-16 CJ.

Stephanie B
02-15-2019, 09:10 AM
I Could Never Be So Lucky Again, the autobiography of James H. Doolittle. If all you know of Jimmy Doolittle is that he was an air racer and commanded the first bombing raid on Japan, stand by for surprises. ( Such as he earned a doctoral degree from MIT.)

Dog Guy
02-15-2019, 11:27 AM
More air power reads:
Dan Hampton also wrote "Viper Pilot", which is his personal memoir. Also check out his book "Lords of the Sky", which is a history of fighters and fighter pilots from WW1 through the jet age. I thought "The Hunter Killers" was his weakest effort.
Jack Broughton also wrote "Going Downtown," which is a followup to "Thud Ridge". If you read either one, be sure to read both.
"A Lonely Kind of War" was written by a FAC in Vietnam. I found it used a long time ago and I don't know if it's still available anywhere but it's excellent. I don't remember the author.
"Sea Harrier Over the Falklands" by Sharkey Ward was written by a squadron commander who flew off of HMS Invincible. Very good.

Coyotesfan97
02-15-2019, 02:47 PM
More air power reads:
Dan Hampton also wrote "Viper Pilot", which is his personal memoir. Also check out his book "Lords of the Sky", which is a history of fighters and fighter pilots from WW1 through the jet age. I thought "The Hunter Killers" was his weakest effort.
Jack Broughton also wrote "Going Downtown," which is a followup to "Thud Ridge". If you read either one, be sure to read both.
"A Lonely Kind of War" was written by a FAC in Vietnam. I found it used a long time ago and I don't know if it's still available anywhere but it's excellent. I don't remember the author.
"Sea Harrier Over the Falklands" by Sharkey Ward was written by a squadron commander who flew off of HMS Invincible. Very good.

I have A Lonely Kind of War on my Kindle. It’s written by Marshall Harrison.

I really like the Wings of War series by Mark Berent. There are five books in the series and it’s mostly about the air war in Vietnam from the pilots flying missions to the Air Force General who has to deal with LBJ. That gets your BP up.

NEPAKevin
02-15-2019, 03:34 PM
I read Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel as a girl (yeah, I’m weird, I know) and what stayed with me was his saying - only he is lost who gives himself up for lost. An impressive warrior and athlete with much to teach....even if he literally went to war on the orders of one of the most evil governments of modern times. If you’re interested in the era and these pilots it’s a worthy read.

Elementary? Junior High? I read a lot of WWI, WWII aviation history. While I do not remember much actual content, The Blond Knight of Germany about Erich Hartmann is one title that comes to mind. Plugging in block heaters during the winter one time made me think of the chapter when he wrote about how during the winters in Russia they learned to light a fire of fuel under the oil pans to get their engines warm enough to start.

Medusa
02-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Elementary? Junior High? I read a lot of WWI, WWII aviation history. While I do not remember much actual content, The Blond Knight of Germany about Erich Hartmann is one title that comes to mind.

Elementary, but that saying of his is one I’ve carried with me all my life. I used to get in trouble for reading in class....much of it was history though as the daughter of two car nuts I also had a sub to autoweek by the time I was 7 or 8, etc. I literally was introduced to the birds and bees by my parents when I asked, at some young age, why I wasn’t allowed to have a shirt that said, injection is nice but I’d rather be blown; I’d seen an ad for it in hot rod. I thought it was about car parts. Heh heh.

One worries with some treatments of German aces that they are given a free pass for nazism and so on. I don’t read as much MH now as I did then, but usually manage a couple books a year on the topic. I’ve seen that book about Hartmann many times, and perhaps one day I’ll read it.

Edit - my father told similar tales of trying to keep armor running in the extreme cold in Korea in 1950-51 when he spent a year in combat in a battalion of Shermans.

Cheap Shot
02-16-2019, 04:46 PM
The Hard Stuff: Dope, Crime, the MC5, and My Life of Impossibilities - Wayne Kramer memoir

"Led by legendary guitarist Wayne Kramer, The MC5 was a reflection of the times: exciting, sexy, violent, chaotic, and out of control, all but assuring their time in the spotlight would be short-lived. They toured the country, played with music legends, and had a rabid following, their music acting as the soundtrack to the blue collar youth movement springing up across the nation. Kramer wanted to redefine what a rock 'n' roll group was capable of, and there was power in reaching for that, but it was also a recipe for disaster, both personally and professionally. The band recorded three major label albums but, by 1972, it was all over."

I was a fan of the MC5 and their song Kick out the jams when it first came out (song has been on my gym playlist as long as mp3's have existed). Never knew much about the band as they fell off the radar pretty quick. Now I know why. There is a lot more to this book than a superficial money grab by an over the hill rock star. The book is none of those things. Its worth reading

Recommend.

FWIW I also enjoyed Springsteens memoir Born to Run. Both provide a certain perspective on 60's 70's culture and rock and roll.

TheRoland
02-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Are there any operators-operating-operationally series that are worth the time? I've enjoyed Grey Man, the early Vince Flynn, and 'Dalton Fury''s stuff was fun before he passed.

A lot of the others in the genre seem to have either no experience with shooting or violence, or can't seem to ever make their characters feel like they might fail (a lot of the former special forces writers seem to do this).

Medusa
02-26-2019, 01:44 PM
I’m really enjoying “Killing Commendatore” by Haruki Murakami. I find him very uneven and have disliked some of his other books, but this one strikes me as a cut above. When he’s on, he’s excellent.

JAD
02-26-2019, 02:57 PM
I’m really enjoying “Killing Commendatore” by Haruki Murakami. I find him very uneven and have disliked some of his other books, but this one strikes me as a cut above. When he’s on, he’s excellent.

Strong concur. I liked Wind Up Bird very much, went back and read Norwegian Wood and dug it, but then gave up halfway through Kafka on the Shore. I thought he had declined; I'm pleased to hear he's just uneven. I haven't picked him up since the early aughties, thanks for reminding me.

MK11
02-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Are there any operators-operating-operationally series that are worth the time? I've enjoyed Grey Man, the early Vince Flynn, and 'Dalton Fury''s stuff was fun before he passed.

A lot of the others in the genre seem to have either no experience with shooting or violence, or can't seem to ever make their characters feel like they might fail (a lot of the former special forces writers seem to do this).

I enjoy Peter Nealen's Praetorian series (https://www.amazon.com/American-Praetorians-Mid-East-Peter-Nealen-ebook/dp/B07N2Q253Q/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=peter+nealen+praetori an&qid=1551211691&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull) (there's a few more beyond what's linked). He's a former Recon Marine, writes fairly well, gets the gun stuff right. He's got another series called "Blackhearts" about contractors that's a take-off of mercenary fiction from the '80s but I haven't enjoyed those as much.

Medusa
02-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Strong concur. I liked Wind Up Bird very much, went back and read Norwegian Wood and dug it, but then gave up halfway through Kafka on the Shore. I thought he had declined; I'm pleased to hear he's just uneven. I haven't picked him up since the early aughties, thanks for reminding me.

I liked windup bird ok but found it kind of forgettable.

Digression: Paolo Bacigalupi’s Wind-up Girl is outstanding, and if you haven’t tried his work, I commend it to you, suspect you would like it. Kafka on the Shore I finished but didn’t care for overall, albeit for reasons that likely differ from yours.

Haven’t read Norwegian Wood. Will see if the library has it.

JDD
02-26-2019, 04:30 PM
I liked windup bird ok but found it kind of forgettable.

Digression: Paolo Bacigalupi’s Wind-up Girl is outstanding, and if you haven’t tried his work, I commend it to you, suspect you would like it. Kafka on the Shore I finished but didn’t care for overall, albeit for reasons that likely differ from yours.

Haven’t read Norwegian Wood. Will see if the library has it.

Wind-up girl is fantastic, and I enjoyed "The Water Knife." I think he does a good job with believable hard sci-fi distopic near futures.

I assume you have read some of N. K. Jemisin? I read the Inheritance Trilogy but for whatever reason it just did not stick with me.

Medusa
02-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Wind-up girl is fantastic, and I enjoyed "The Water Knife." I think he does a good job with believable hard sci-fi distopic near futures.

I assume you have read some of N. K. Jemisin? I read the Inheritance Trilogy but for whatever reason it just did not stick with me.

Yes I’ve read about everything Bacigalupi has written and I concur 100 percent. Believable dystopias that will likely be prophetic. I enjoyed the Ship Breaker series, pitched as YA but pretty solid. I also liked the Tangled Lands book which he co-wrote.

I read some Jemisin, 100,000 Kingdoms. Super happy about her popularity, but I’m with you. Didn’t stick with me, didn’t want to read more. Much like Nnedi Okarafor - Binti was enough - more than enough. I’m still stoked these voices and stories are being heard.

Medusa
02-26-2019, 04:47 PM
I should throw in a word in favor of Octavia Butler. The Xenogenesis books are highly original, rich, and sensual in an alien way.

Gun Mutt
02-27-2019, 09:54 AM
Downloaded American Praetorians, looking forward to reading the series.

Thoroughly enjoying the posts between RB, JAD & JDD, opened me up to some authors I'd never even heard of, much less considered. In that vein, allow me to recommend The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman (https://www.peacefulwarrior.com/the-journeys-of-socrates/).

I've not read Millman's other works, but I always mean to get to them. At the time of my reading, I had no concept of his guru status nor his movie Peaceful Warrior (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438315/?ref_=nm_knf_i1), it was just a book recommended to me by another martial arts practitioner I knew. The book begins in Tsarist Russia at a military academy, the cold water training as part of life caught me early on and I knew I was reading about Systema, even though no style is ever named. Millman would later confirm that he was indeed describing his version of Systema, though he did not elaborate in that interview. Anyway, I liked it a great deal and if you read the weird side of fiction, you'll like it, too.

Medusa
02-27-2019, 10:58 AM
Always the best part of these threads....new ideas and authors to try!

I first read millman’s Way of the Peaceful Warrior in high school at the suggestion of my guidance counselor. I re-read it last summer along with several of the other books in the series and The Journeys of Socrates too. Way has aged somewhat gracefully and I was surprised how much had stayed with me all these years (I also reread Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I’d also read in high school, and again was surprised how much I’d internalized). For me Way is the quintessential Millman book. I enjoyed Journeys but found it a bit too contrived and pat with too much reliance on the supernatural. Still, a worthy read, and some people will find these aspects to be strengths.

Downloaded American Praetorians, looking forward to reading the series.

Thoroughly enjoying the posts between RB, JAD & JDD, opened me up to some authors I'd never even heard of, much less considered. In that vein, allow me to recommend The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman (https://www.peacefulwarrior.com/the-journeys-of-socrates/).

I've not read Millman's other works, but I always mean to get to them. At the time of my reading, I had no concept of his guru status nor his movie Peaceful Warrior (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438315/?ref_=nm_knf_i1), it was just a book recommended to me by another martial arts practitioner I knew. The book begins in Tsarist Russia at a military academy, the cold water training as part of life caught me early on and I knew I was reading about Systema, even though no style is ever named. Millman would later confirm that he was indeed describing his version of Systema, though he did not elaborate in that interview. Anyway, I liked it a great deal and if you read the weird side of fiction, you'll like it, too.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-27-2019, 11:38 AM
The Pentagon's Mind by Jacobsen

The history of DARPA. Fueled by brilliant minds, it is also quite scary if you read their crackpot ideas about the use of nuclear weapons with abandon by some. Luckily others toned it down.

They were also incredibly wrong about strategies in Viet Nam. They had good behavioral experts that saw the problems that the South had combating the Viet Cong and NVA. However, they were ignored by the folks who thought tech could win the war. Also, there was internal corruption in some of their scientists (money). When the behavioral types pointed out the problems, the generals refused to accept it and DARPA (and associated think tanks) send experts in nuclear weapons with instructions to come back with positive reports, no matter what. Crackpot schemes to destroy food and forest, strategic hamlets became the savior flavor of the month.

It reminds me of later governmental actions that refused to take good advice. Such as what would happen in Iraq, Afghanistan and Waco. We have a tendency to think that force always works - it depends as we have seen.

Kukuforguns
02-27-2019, 03:08 PM
I should throw in a word in favor of Octavia Butler. The Xenogenesis books are highly original, rich, and sensual in an alien way.

Big +1 on recommendation for Octavia Butler.

Stephanie B
03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
The Boys Who Challenged Hitler: Knud Pedersen and the Churchill Club (https://amazon.com/Boys-Who-Challenged-Hitler-Nonfiction/dp/0374300224). When the Germans walked into Denmark, a small number of boys were dismayed at the acquiescence of their countrymen and were shamed by the resistance of the Norwegians. So they did something about it- from small things like repositioning directional signs, cutting field telephone wires to committing arson and stealing weapons.

They were eventually caught, but their example led to the formation of the Danish Resistance.

One of my gripes about YA books has been the "sixteen year olds leads armies to victory" stuff. Mostly, I roll my eyes, as history has shown that the roll of teenagers in wartime can be summed up in two words: Cannon fodder. But here, the kids absolutely did light the path that the adults later trod.

gtae07
03-02-2019, 08:40 PM

It’s been a long time since I read it but it was an interesting series; I don’t remember much of it or the Patternmaster (?) series. Butler is one of my wife’s favorite authors though. Interestingly, she’s at book club tonight and they just read Kindred. Shame she passed away so young...

Other good science fiction: Niven & Pournelle’s The Mote in God’s Eye

The Deathworlders (ok, more space opera than SF... but I can’t put it down)

Non-SF:

I went back and read The Killer Angels again recently. Enjoyed it even more.

I tried reading McMaster’s Deriliction of Duty but it had me so infuriated I didn’t get very far. I wasn’t alive for any of the events in the book but the monumental stupidity and arrogance.... :mad:

Coyotesfan97
03-10-2019, 02:39 AM
Spearhead by Adam Makos

https://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-American-Gunner-Enemy-Collision-ebook/dp/B07D6CGMRN/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1552202905&sr=8-1

At first, Clarence and his fellow crews in the legendary 3rd Armored Division—“Spearhead”—thought their tanks were invincible. Then they met the German Panther, with a gun so murderous it could shoot through one Sherman and into the next. Soon a pattern emerged: The lead tank always gets hit.

After Clarence sees his friends cut down breaching the West Wall and holding the line in the Battle of the Bulge, he and his crew are given a weapon with the power to avenge their fallen brothers: the Pershing, a state-of-the-art “super tank,” one of twenty in the European theater.

But with it comes a harrowing new responsibility: Now they will spearhead every attack. That’s how Clarence, the corporal from coal country, finds himself leading the U.S. Army into its largest urban battle of the European war, the fight for Cologne, the “Fortress City” of Germany.

——————

This was an awesome read. If you like WWII military history and armor you’ll like this book. I read three quarters of it in one sitting.

https://youtu.be/X30JRShpm9U

The fight between the Pershing and the Panther in Cologne was filmed. It’s in the video.

Lester Polfus
03-10-2019, 09:50 AM
My latest, Rose City Kill Zone, is available now. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P422QFN/ref=series_rw_dp_sw)

Medusa
03-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Rad. I’ll grab it on audible. I’m the daughter of a Sherman tank platoon sergeant who fought in Korea, but my dad had a pretty awesome story about his unit “redeploying” some Pershings off railroad cars to replace losses in 1950.

Spearhead by Adam Makos

https://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-American-Gunner-Enemy-Collision-ebook/dp/B07D6CGMRN/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1552202905&sr=8-1

At first, Clarence and his fellow crews in the legendary 3rd Armored Division—“Spearhead”—thought their tanks were invincible. Then they met the German Panther, with a gun so murderous it could shoot through one Sherman and into the next. Soon a pattern emerged: The lead tank always gets hit.

After Clarence sees his friends cut down breaching the West Wall and holding the line in the Battle of the Bulge, he and his crew are given a weapon with the power to avenge their fallen brothers: the Pershing, a state-of-the-art “super tank,” one of twenty in the European theater.

But with it comes a harrowing new responsibility: Now they will spearhead every attack. That’s how Clarence, the corporal from coal country, finds himself leading the U.S. Army into its largest urban battle of the European war, the fight for Cologne, the “Fortress City” of Germany.

——————

This was an awesome read. If you like WWII military history and armor you’ll like this book. I read three quarters of it in one sitting.

The fight between the Pershing and the Panther in Cologne was filmed. It’s in the video.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-11-2019, 11:56 AM
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: How to Know What's Really Real in a World Increasingly Full of Fake Hardcover – October 2, 2018
by Steven Novella

Takes you through the psychology of bad decision making, crap nutso science, conspiracy theories, statistical misuse, cognitive errors and the like. Pretty interesting.

About the DARPA book I recommended earlier, a really chilling analysis of government surveillance technology. While this can feed into 2nd Amend. banning conspiracy theories (of course, they are real), the tech clearly indicates that all the folks who think they will bury their guns and mags so THEY WON'T COMPLY AND RESIST bans are fooling themselves if they think they are not already known as gun owners of a certain ilk. Good luck on the cliche of having a fishing boat accident with your AR.

Lester Polfus
03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
About the DARPA book I recommended earlier, a really chilling analysis of government surveillance technology. While this can feed into 2nd Amend. banning conspiracy theories (of course, they are real), the tech clearly indicates that all the folks who think they will bury their guns and mags so THEY WON'T COMPLY AND RESIST bans are fooling themselves if they think they are not already known as gun owners of a certain ilk. Good luck on the cliche of having a fishing boat accident with your AR.

Right? This kind of ties into the panopticon discussion in another thread. I don't hang out on other gun fora much, but when I have, I've seen some real eye-rollers, like the guy who bought some 80% Glock frames from an internet retailer and had them shipped to his home so he would have some guns that were "off the books."

The only way you could plausibly fly under the radar would be:

1) Never have a CHL
2) Never buy a gun from an FFL
3) Never take a hunters safety course or buy a hunting license.
4) Never buy anything remotely firearms related, or for that matter buy anything at all from a store like Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse, with a credit or debit card.
5) Never visit a firearms related website.

There's probably more I haven't thought of. The beauty of the modern surveillance state isn't that it's been imposed on it, but that we willingly participate.

Coyotesfan97
03-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Rad. I’ll grab it on audible. I’m the daughter of a Sherman tank platoon sergeant who fought in Korea, but my dad had a pretty awesome story about his unit “redeploying” some Pershings off railroad cars to replace losses in 1950.

My great Uncle rode a tank destroyer (M10) I think across Europe with Patton’s 3rd Army. He was wounded and decorated there. Sadly I never got to hear his story. He would not talk about it. My Dad told me he asked a question one time and he answered it but that was the only time. I think he might have talked to me about it after I was a cop but he passed away before I had a chance.

Caballoflaco
03-11-2019, 02:22 PM

It’s not a book; but Nicholas Moran aka The Chieftain (army tanker and iirc still a major in the reserves) gives a good tour of your dad’s former office. He also has a couple of lectures on YouTube about the realities and myths of US armor during WWII that a lot of folks here might dig.

https://youtu.be/0PS1Pka7lBQ

Gun Mutt
03-11-2019, 02:28 PM
My latest, Rose City Kill Zone, is available now. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P422QFN/ref=series_rw_dp_sw)

Book one is now downloaded!

I just finished 'A Man With One of Those Faces' by Caimh McDonnell (http://whitehairedirishman.com/books/) and it quite literally made me laugh out loud several times. I picked it on a whim from my KindleUnlimited and plan to read his other three books now. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Medusa
03-11-2019, 02:30 PM
I understand. My dad told me many stories because he loved me and I asked a lot and was a nerdy girl into military history. I’m glad he did because I learned a lot about him and the war, war generally, the military, and that time. But it was not infrequent that even the funny stories took him someplace sad, and he’d cry, quietly, soundlessly. He was proud of his service but never spoke about it unless I asked. He died when I was 20, and I miss him terribly. The stories I tell about him help keep him alive in a small but important way.

I’m really glad that there is a greater effort now to preserve the oral histories of people who were there, not just in yesterday’s wars but today’s (tomorrow’s yesterday wars).

My great Uncle rode a tank destroyer (M10) I think across Europe with Patton’s 3rd Army. He was wounded and decorated there. Sadly I never got to hear his story. He would not talk about it. My Dad told me he asked a question one time and he answered it but that was the only time. I think he might have talked to me about it after I was a cop but he passed away before I had a chance.

Medusa
03-11-2019, 02:33 PM
I was lucky. My dad had a lot of pix and he once took my sister and I to an armor museum that had an m4a3e8 of the sort his unit had. They let him get us in it show us the inside and everything. It was a pretty amazing experience.

I’ll check out the vid !

It’s not a book; but Nicholas Moran aka The Chieftain (army tanker and iirc still a major in the reserves) gives a good tour of your dad’s former office. He also has a couple of lectures on YouTube about the realities and myths of US armor during WWII that a lot of folks here might dig.

https://youtu.be/0PS1Pka7lBQ

Stephanie B
03-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Einstein's Monsters: The Life and Times of Black Holes, by Chris Impey. I wind up going to the Web every few pages to look things up and sometimes going down the rabbithole. For one thing, I hadn't heard of the 2016 hypernova (https://www.space.com/39756-most-distant-supernova-hypernova-des16c2nm.html).

NEPAKevin
03-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Spoiler? Chapter 2 brought this to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqF5Vcn6Ns
:)

Medusa
03-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Reading and enjoying Rose City Freefall by the site’s own Lester Polfus. Not my usual. Recommended.

Reupped with Kindle Unlimited to read the above, got recommended D-day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz, which KU has to read free and with free audible narration. Have started on that. If you have KU and enjoy oral history, it’s worth a listen even if it is at times infuriating in the ways many accounts of German WW2 warfighters can be.

Finished A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy, book 2 of a series by Alex White. Fun, palate cleansing sci fi you may like if you enjoy some of the other authors I’ve mentioned like Leckie, Le Guin, or Becky Chambers. It’s kind of a second string effort but still fun.

Gun Mutt
03-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Reading and enjoying Rose City Freefall by the site’s own Lester Polfus. Not my usual. Recommended.

Added all 3 of the Rose City books to my Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed them. Nice to read someone that knows their guns and fighting, of course, but I enjoyed the main character as much or more as any I've read in the last few years. I'm ready for the next one!

blues
03-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Just finished "The Border" (https://www.amazon.com/Border-Novel-Power-Dog-Book-ebook/dp/B079DR5C12/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=) by Don Winslow...the finale to his narco-trafficking trilogy. A good read but be prepared for more political content than you might have expected or preferred. Worth the detours, imho.

Started "The River" (https://www.amazon.com/River-novel-Peter-Heller-ebook/dp/B07DMZT6SQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+river+heller&qid=1553272228&s=digital-text&sr=1-1-catcorr) by Peter Heller who so far has rated one book I liked a lot, "The Dog Stars" (https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stars-Peter-Heller-ebook/dp/B007GZELF2/ref=pd_sim_351_2/135-4032243-0717513?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007GZELF2&pd_rd_r=d02c760b-4cbf-11e9-84b8-e71b985bd75f&pd_rd_w=Ou7VP&pd_rd_wg=uBXyA&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=35PJ5J2YRBP3ZN20NWPT&psc=1&refRID=35PJ5J2YRBP3ZN20NWPT), and one I really didn't care for much, "The Painter".

This one seems to be interesting thus far as it is a thriller centering around a wilderness canoe trip with a destination of Hudson Bay.

Bergeron
03-22-2019, 09:29 PM
I recently finished the three-volume set of J.F.C. Fuller's A Military History of the Western World, and I simply cannot recommend it enough.

Vol 1:
Earliest Times til Lepanto

Vol 2:
Spanish Armada til Waterloo

Vol 3:
American Civil War til the End of World War Two.

Vol 2 was perhaps the least engaging of the three for me, given its understable English focus. It's all great, though. The End of World War Two Analysis is not something you'll be likely to read from any other Western source. I love Greco-Roman military history, and Vol 1 is a tour de force in the topic.

gtae07
03-23-2019, 06:09 AM
It's a podcast but it might as well be an audiobook... Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on World War I is excellent. It's called Blueprint for Armageddon, and it's six partsof about four hours each. I'm halfway through Part 5 right now.

Medusa
03-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Just finished this. It’s superb. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also finished the second of the Dent Miller books by the site’s own Lester Polfus; enjoyed it and will read the final book of the trilogy.

Started The Devil’s Guard, what is widely regarded as a heavily fictionalized account of former Waffen-SS soldiers serving in the French Foreign Legion post ww2, in Vietnam. Not sure how I feel about it yet; I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of some soldiers managing to survive ww2 on a losing side and then continue using to fight on after, but I may end up despising the narrator sufficiently to abandon the book. We will see.

Spearhead by Adam Makos

——————

Coyotesfan97
03-25-2019, 05:15 PM
On the Use of Shape Shifters in Warfare by Marko Kloos. It’s a short story and it’s 99 cents on Kindle. I read it after watching Love, Death, and Robots.

Coyotesfan97
03-25-2019, 05:18 PM
Just finished this. It’s superb. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also finished the second of the Dent Miller books by the site’s own Lester Polfus; enjoyed it and will read the final book of the trilogy.

Started The Devil’s Guard, what is widely regarded as a heavily fictionalized account of former Waffen-SS soldiers serving in the French Foreign Legion post ww2, in Vietnam. Not sure how I feel about it yet; I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of some soldiers managing to survive ww2 on a losing side and then continue using to fight on after, but I may end up despising the narrator sufficiently to abandon the book. We will see.

I haven’t read that in a long time. The narrator is a Waffen SS Officer who was a partisan hunter on the Eastern Front. He does not like Communists and is very brutal when he fights them. It’s an interesting read.

Medusa
03-25-2019, 05:22 PM
he's also a complete nazi apologist, many times over. Also, his men are superhuman, mixed race units are a failure, etc. etc. it's rough going. I may cry uncle and get my audible credit back.

I haven’t read that in a long time. The narrator is a Waffen SS Officer who was a partisan hunter on the Eastern Front. He does not like Communists and is very brutal when he fights them. It’s an interesting read.

Coyotesfan97
03-25-2019, 05:30 PM
he's also a complete nazi apologist, many times over. Also, his men are superhuman, mixed race units are a failure, etc. etc. it's rough going. I may cry uncle and get my audible credit back.

Yes he is

rayrevolver
03-25-2019, 05:30 PM
The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington

I heard about this from a shock jock radio guy here in DC. The author also makes great kids books, my 5 year old likes “I am George Washington” and “...Amelia Earhart.” Brad Meltzer is the author.

Overall the story is fascinating and I got a good dose of American Revolutionary history included, free of charge! I did not like how some chapters were summarized at the end... I just read the damn chapter, what the hell???

Also made me think of how people want to destroy historical statues etc they don’t agree with while in NY today there are streets and parks, and towns in other states related to the British antagonists at the time.

Stephanie B
03-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Long Shot by Azad Cudi. It's about the Kurdish fight against ISIS. Cudi was a refugee who was granted asylum in England. He returned to help in the fight.

It's an interesting read. You'll learn a bit about how their snipers worked.

BehindBlueI's
03-27-2019, 12:45 PM
I may have already mentioned this but the "Iron Druid" series is a fun bit of light reading. It's another take on mythology meets modern world, and while not as well done as Neil Gaiman (IMO) it's in good enough territory for the cost of admittance. The real short version is the main character is the last remaining druid on the planet, and he's largely survived because he figured out a way to bind his aura to cold iron in a way that lets him still use his druid magic but makes other magic not touch him...and by lots of hiding. The old Irish pantheon plays in heavily, of course, but all the major pantheons and religions get some cameos. Pretty standard tropes for the genre, but the occasionally insightful look into the human condition, interesting characters with decent character development, and a lot of fast paced action make them worth the read.

Coyotesfan97
03-27-2019, 12:58 PM
I may have already mentioned this but the "Iron Druid" series is a fun bit of light reading. It's another take on mythology meets modern world, and while not as well done as Neil Gaiman (IMO) it's in good enough territory for the cost of admittance. The real short version is the main character is the last remaining druid on the planet, and he's largely survived because he figured out a way to bind his aura to cold iron in a way that lets him still use his druid magic but makes other magic not touch him...and by lots of hiding. The old Irish pantheon plays in heavily, of course, but all the major pantheons and religions get some cameos. Pretty standard tropes for the genre, but the occasionally insightful look into the human condition, interesting characters with decent character development, and a lot of fast paced action make them worth the read.

That’s a series I need to reread.

Gun Mutt
03-27-2019, 03:55 PM
...and while not as well done as Neil Gaiman...
I've really liked the handful of books I've read by NG. In a cruel twist of fate, Showtime is one of the few channels we don't receive one way or another; has anyone watched American Gods? Does it live up to the books?

BehindBlueI's
03-27-2019, 04:05 PM
I've really liked the handful of books I've read by NG. In a cruel twist of fate, Showtime is one of the few channels we don't receive one way or another; has anyone watched American Gods? Does it live up to the books?

I've not watched it, but several of my friends have and they've had good things to say about it regardless of if they read the book or not.

I know I've mentioned it way up thread, but "Ocean at the End of the Lane" is excellent if that's not one you've picked up yet.

Medusa
03-27-2019, 05:06 PM
To me, Gaiman, like Murakami, is very uneven. My spouse and I listened to American Gods on a 7,000 mile coast to coast road trip in an old car, and it was pretty perfect. I’ve listened to a few others that at times bordered on weak. She’s really wanting to see the tv adaptation of American Gods, I just hate having to pay for a “channel” we don’t otherwise want on prime.

Wondering Beard
03-27-2019, 05:54 PM
To me, Gaiman, like Murakami, is very uneven. My spouse and I listened to American Gods on a 7,000 mile coast to coast road trip in an old car, and it was pretty perfect. I’ve listened to a few others that at times bordered on weak. She’s really wanting to see the tv adaptation of American Gods, I just hate having to pay for a “channel” we don’t otherwise want on prime.

I read the book a long time ago and frankly don't remember much about it other than it was really good. The show is excellent and make me feel like I don't even need to reread the book.

Coyotesfan97
03-28-2019, 04:41 AM
American Gods is another book that needs to be reread.

Gun Mutt
03-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Ironic timing; just got a link today from Tim Ferriss titled, Neil Gaiman -The Interview I've Waited 20 Years to Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPKTby9z6o

Bigguy
04-03-2019, 06:53 PM
A Basque story. (https://www.amazon.com/Basque-Story-M-Bryce-Ternet/dp/1542987245/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=a+basque+story&qid=1554335437&s=digital-text&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1) Stay away.I'm 31% into it. If I wasn't obligated to finish for a review, I drop it. We have an FBI agent who constantly pats his .45 MM pistol for comfort. The author obviously has a bug up his bum about some "Basque" racism. I'm just trying to get through it.

Medusa
04-03-2019, 07:11 PM
I’m about halfway through “The Things They Carried,” a novel about the Vietnam war by Tim O’Brien. Certainly a worthy read.

I also finished Books 4 and 5 of the Hap and Leonard books by JR Lansdale. Solid reads with some laugh out loud moments.

Abandoned The Devil’s Guard by Elford. Neo nazi apologist garbage that also doesn’t seem very plausible from a military science standpoint. Maybe it gets better after the first 37 or 40 percent, but I cried uncle. Too many other good books to read.

Coyotesfan97
04-04-2019, 04:46 AM
Close Quarters by Larry Heinemann. It’s fiction about a soldier named Phillip Dozier in a mechanized platoon with M113 ACAVs. It’s one of my favorite Vietnam novels. I still have the battered copy I bought at the ASU bookstore back in the late 80s and I have it on Kindle. I read it once a year. Here is the first paragraph:

Ugly Deadly Music.

I stood stiffly with my feet well apart, parade-rest fashion, at the break in the barbed-wire fence between the officers’ country tents and the battalion motor pool. My feet and legs itched with sweat. My shirt clung to my back. My shaving cuts burned. I watched, astonished, as the battalion Reconnaissance Platoon, thirty-some men and ten boxy squat-looking armored personnel carriers—tracks, we called them—cranked in from two months in the field, trailing a rank stink and stirring a cloud of dust that left a tingle in the air. One man slowly dismounted from each track and led it up the sloped path from the perimeter road, ground-guiding it, walking with a stumbling hangdog gait. Each man wore a sleeveless flak jacket hung with grenades, and baggy jungle trousers, the ones with large thigh pockets and drawstrings at the cuffs. The tracks followed behind like stupid, obedient draft horses, creaking and clacking along, and scraping over rocks hidden in the dust. There were sharp squeaks and irritating scratching noises, slow slack grindings, and the throttled rap of straight-pipe mufflers, all at once. And the talk, what there was, came shouted and snappy—easy obscenities and shit laughs. It was an ugly deadly music, the jerky bitter echoes of machines out of sync. A shudder went through me, as if someone were scratching his nails on a blackboard.

blues
04-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Speaking of Vietnam war novels..."Matterhorn" (https://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-Novel-Vietnam-Karl-Marlantes-ebook/dp/B003V8BRTQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=) by Karl Marlantes may be the best I've ever read.

It is right up there, imho, with the greatest war novels ever written...and I've read hundreds at the very least.

Highest recommendation.

Bigguy
04-08-2019, 05:33 PM
"A Basque Story"
-> sigh! <- This guy does this all the way through the book.

.45 MM is 0.017 inches. A No. 2 pencil lead is 0.027 inches.
He also thinks more highly of Europe than America.
The Characters with the ".45 mm." is an FBI agent who constantly pats or pulls his gun. He's is older and both ignorant and intolerant of non-American culture. The younger guy is with the CIA and loves Europe. He's multi-lingual, educated and sophisticated. The juxtaposition gets tiring.

Medusa
04-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Finished “Blackhawk Down,” by Mark Bowden, and am glad I read it and didn’t just see the movie.

Starting “The Raven Tower,” a new book by one of my favorite writers, Ann Leckie, whose Imperial Radch books i and several others recommended earlier in the thread.

Lester Polfus
04-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Finished “Blackhawk Down,” by Mark Bowden, and am glad I read it and didn’t just see the movie.

Highly recommend Killing Pablo too.

Bigguy
04-09-2019, 12:02 AM
"A Basque Story"
-> sigh! <- This guy does this all the way through the book.

.45 MM is 0.017 inches. A No. 2 pencil lead is 0.027 inches.
He also thinks more highly of Europe than America.
The Characters with the ".45 mm." is an FBI agent who constantly pats or pulls his gun. He's is older and both ignorant and intolerant of non-American culture. The younger guy is with the CIA and loves Europe. He's multi-lingual, educated and sophisticated. The juxtaposition gets tiring.

The juxtaposition gets tiring.

blues
04-09-2019, 07:52 AM
^^^^

..."as the gang of rogue Basques armed with cestas yelled at the would-be Marlboro man: 'Don't come in here if you don't want to get smoked!'..."

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/jai-alai-players-waiting-on-bench-courtside-waiting-to-play-their-picture-id50527844

rayrevolver
04-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Speaking of Vietnam war novels..."Matterhorn" (https://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-Novel-Vietnam-Karl-Marlantes-ebook/dp/B003V8BRTQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=) by Karl Marlantes may be the best I've ever read.

It is right up there, imho, with the greatest war novels ever written...and I've read hundreds at the very least.

Highest recommendation.

I will put this on my list. I think my favorite Vietnam book is Chickenhawk by Mason.

Just started this :

Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNVJRVP/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

blues
04-09-2019, 09:08 AM
I will put this on my list. I think my favorite Vietnam book is Chickenhawk by Mason.

Just started this :

Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNVJRVP/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

You won't be disappointed. Marlantes is a Vietnam vet, (Marines as I recall), but the book is a work of fiction (which I trust is based upon his experience). It is a powerful and poignant read. I hope you will come away as impressed as I was. It is rare that I gush publicly about a book...though I have certainly read my share of great ones over the years.

Medusa
04-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Checked it out of the library today. Incidentally, the Multnomah County library system kicks a$$ for residents all over the state.

Highest recommendation.

Stephanie B
04-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Checked it out of the library today. Incidentally, the Multnomah County library system kicks a$$ for residents all over the state.

Funny, that. I also checked it out of the library today.

Coyotesfan97
04-09-2019, 11:18 PM
I might have already posted this one but Sympathy For the Devil by Kent Anderson is a great read. I’ve read it multiple times. There are two sequels Night Dogs and Green Sun. I’ve read Night Dogs but not Green Sun. I highly recommend it. Here’s an excerpt.

“Hanson stood just inside the heavy-timbered door of his concrete bunker, looking out. There was no moon yet. The only sound was the steady sobbing of the big diesel generators, but Hanson heard nothing. Had the generators ever stopped he would have heard the silence, a silence that would have bolted him wide-awake, armed, and out of his bunk if he were asleep.

He stepped from the doorway and began walking across the inner perimeter toward the teamhouse, a squat shadow ahead of him in the dark. His web gear, heavy with ammunition and grenades, swung from one shoulder like easy, thoughtful breathing. The folding-stock AK-47 in his right hand was loaded with a gracefully curving thirty-round magazine.

As he got closer to the teamhouse, he could feel the drums and steel-stringed guitar on the back of his sunburned forearms and against the tender broken hump on his nose. Then he could hear it.

Hanson smiled. "Stones," he said softly. He didn't have enough to pick out the song, but the bass and drums were pure Stones.”

The 13th Valley by John Del Vecchio is another good Vietnam novel about the 101st in I Corp.

The Fire Dream by Franklin Allen Leib is another great one. There’s a lot of courage, honor, love and loss in this one. The speeches by the character General “Blackjack” Beaurive gave me goosebumps. It’s main character William Stuart is a Naval Officer ultimately assigned to ANGLICO and most of the characters come together there.

Sero Sed Serio
04-09-2019, 11:55 PM
I might have already posted this one but Sympathy For the Devil by Kent Anderson is a great read. I’ve read it multiple times. There are two sequels Night Dogs and Green Sun. I’ve read Night Dogs but not Green Sun. I highly recommend it. Here’s an excerpt.

“Hanson stood just inside the heavy-timbered door of his concrete bunker, looking out. There was no moon yet. The only sound was the steady sobbing of the big diesel generators, but Hanson heard nothing. Had the generators ever stopped he would have heard the silence, a silence that would have bolted him wide-awake, armed, and out of his bunk if he were asleep.

He stepped from the doorway and began walking across the inner perimeter toward the teamhouse, a squat shadow ahead of him in the dark. His web gear, heavy with ammunition and grenades, swung from one shoulder like easy, thoughtful breathing. The folding-stock AK-47 in his right hand was loaded with a gracefully curving thirty-round magazine.

As he got closer to the teamhouse, he could feel the drums and steel-stringed guitar on the back of his sunburned forearms and against the tender broken hump on his nose. Then he could hear it.

Hanson smiled. "Stones," he said softly. He didn't have enough to pick out the song, but the bass and drums were pure Stones.”

The 13th Valley by John Del Vecchio is another good Vietnam novel about the 101st in I Corp.

The Fire Dream by Franklin Allen Leib is another great one. There’s a lot of courage, honor, love and loss in this one. The speeches by the character General “Blackjack” Beaurive gave me goosebumps. It’s main character William Stuart is a Naval Officer ultimately assigned to ANGLICO and most of the characters come together there.

It’s funny, but a friend of mine just returned my copy of Night Dogs, and when I saw this thread make it’s way to the top, I thought about recommending it. I recently reread it, and found that it really struck home with the current state of our society. I’ve always thought that Anderson used the story as a way to tell a stylized account of PPD which couldn’t be told in non-fiction due to the statute of limitations. If ever there was a novel that captured the true heart of a street police, Night Dogs is it.

Haven’t read Sympathy for the Devil, but want to. Never heard of Green Sun...have to look into that.

I think this is the second time we’ve been on the same page (pun intended) on current reads...

Coyotesfan97
04-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Nice one! I just saw Green Sun tonight on Amazon. It looked like another cop novel with Hansen returning to LE.

11B10
04-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Two books I've read recently are guaranteed page turners.

The first is "Blood on the Risers," by John Leppelman, who served for 35 months in Viet Nam. It's not for the squeamish - as told by "the man on the ground," not a co-written book.

The second is "Into Thin Air," by Jon Krakauer. I've always been interested in anything about mountain climbing - especially Mt. Everest. This is also a first person/he was there retelling of a grueling expedition that didn't end as planned.

No one who reads these two books will be able to forget them. I know I can't.

blues
04-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Two books I've read recently are guaranteed page turners.

The first is "Blood on the Risers," by John Leppelman, who served for 35 months in Viet Nam. It's not for the squeamish - as told by "the man on the ground," not a co-written book.

The second is "Into Thin Air," by Jon Krakauer. I've always been interested in anything about mountain climbing - especially Mt. Everest. This is also a first person/he was there retelling of a grueling expedition that didn't end as planned.

No one who reads these two books will be able to forget them. I know I can't.

Re: "Into Thin Air": I learned to technical climb in 1974 with Scott Fischer in the Wind Rivers of WY on a NOLS mountaineering course. Scott was an assistant instructor during the five week course. We stayed in touch from time to time for years after he started Mountain Madness which was his guiding business when he lost his life on Everest.

His future wife was also on the course with us back in 1974.

11B10
04-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Re: "Into Thin Air": I learned to technical climb in 1974 with Scott Fischer in the Wind Rivers of WY on a NOLS mountaineering course. Scott was an assistant instructor during the five week course. We stayed in touch from time to time for years after he started Mountain Madness which was his guiding business when he lost his life on Everest.

His future wife was also on the course with us back in 1974.

blues - this story is so well told that you feel like you're on the mountain with them. I could almost feel the wind and cold. Just an incredible story recounted by a very good writer. If you haven't read it yet, please do - I've already read it twice.

blues
04-10-2019, 10:04 AM
blues - this story is so well told that you feel like you're on the mountain with them. I could almost feel the wind and cold. Just an incredible story recounted by a very good writer. If you haven't read it yet, please do - I've already read it twice.

I've read all the published accounts of that fateful event. (And several of Krakauer's other books as well.)

11B10
04-10-2019, 10:06 AM
I've read all the published accounts of that fateful event. (And several of Krakauer's other books as well.)

IMO, Krakauer is a truly gifted writer.

Cheap Shot
04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
IMO, Krakauer is a truly gifted writer.

You guys are probably already aware of this but Dave Roberts, Greg Childs, John Roskelly, and Mark Twight are all worth reading.

I'll have to see if I can add more after I get home and check my bookshelves.

And I agree about Krakauer writing about climbing. However, my faulty memory tells me when I read his book about the kid that starved in AK I found it disappointing.

11B10
04-10-2019, 11:40 AM
You guys are probably already aware of this but Dave Roberts, Greg Childs, John Roskelly, and Mark Twight are all worth reading.

I'll have to see if I can add more after I get home and check my bookshelves.

And I agree about Krakauer writing about climbing. However, my faulty memory tells me when I read his book about the kid that starved in AK I found it disappointing.

Cheap..I was less than candid when I called Krakauer a "truly gifted writer." I haven't read everything he's written, but what I have read has been excellent.