PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Bigguy
03-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Oh MY!

You know how some movies are so bad they become cult classics? I think this guy may pull off the same thing with books. The prose is ... Interesting. I'll include a sample below. (Less than is on the Amazon sample, so shouldn't be any copyright issues.)
I've only considered suicide twice in my life. The first time was when I was diagnosed with a cancer that would not respond to chemo or radiation. (surgery got it all) The other time was when I realized that this was an assigned kindle review and I was going to have to finish it. (I'm about 14% now.)
Whether tis nobler in mind to suffer the slings and arrow of outrageous prose, or take arms against a sea of aimless silliquie.
Ya know, if ya made this thing into a stage play, with exaggerated shakespearean gestures and asides, it might be fun to watch.
Again, I'll include a sample below. It doesn't get any better.

Exert:
Dusk crept in over the mist borne wilderness. The insistent message began humming in his ears; a faint but honeyed melody. Soon, he noticed the soothing tones grew in frequency, coaxing with reassurance that, out there, beyond the field’s rowed tares of corn, great adventure and an even greater and wondrous gift awaited him. With the promise of a new morning’s dawn, after midnight, he set out on his motorcycle, seeking destiny beyond the horizon. Autumn’s wild tangles – skeletal branches of sugar maples and green ash along the winding dirt road – loomed overhead in soaring gray arcs. Cascades of leaves, like silken moth’s wings, fluttered in pools of emerging full moonlight. Gears churned, the motor sparked, and the night came alive with comet flashes. A dashing locomotive of euphoria barreled through the tunnels of every limb. His pounding heart yearned. He relished sizzling adrenaline’s unbridled surges. Over and down steep hillcrests, a wild wind’s stiff fingers stirred his hair. With tornado’s force, he swept into the widening mouth of a valley. The world became a blur of waving stalks of golden rod and towering leagues of conifers. Upon the crisp wind’s wild rushes and into his nostrils plumed the bitter tang of scented pines. His clammy fingers throttled the handlebar’s brakes. Spinning rubber squealed in resistance but finally relented, spitting out rooster tails of gravel. He blinked while focusing his eyes through lingering swirls of dust. As dawn’s first faint traces began to slay the mordant gloom, he heard the unearthly screeching of a trio of crows, alighted in a perfect row onto the archway of tree branches. Distant lights of his father’s dairy barns and corn silos shrank into dim portals. Again, he heard the eerie message echo, growing from a dulcet whisper into a strident command. Before him, a light beacon’s rapier slashed at the waning darkness, tearing it asunder like a fine curtain’s soft fabric. While entranced by strange visions from the other side, the humming tone’s frequency escalated with earsplitting ambience, and he felt mysteriously jettisoned from the motorcycle’s seat by a mystical force. Before leaving his prized motorbike behind to run towards the beckoning showers of light, he turned, watching the still revolving wheels sealed over into a dusty grave of windblown leaves. Stepping over the ancient ley line, he saw them. Completely still, he stood before their half-ringed array. Though they appeared towering, black and grotesque, insectoid, perhaps, even arachnid – with hideous winged appendages and scaly tails – they emitted an angelic glow, a golden evanesce more splendid than the sun. He felt their coal black eyes bore into him, and a strange energy drew him out of his body. As they began to feast upon his flesh and bones, rather than pain, he felt utter peace. An intense anticipation enraptured him while floating toward the golden gates of what appeared to be a shining temple. He felt part of something larger now, this new and wondrous land beyond the rising sun. Could this truly be heaven, he wondered? Was this the ultimate promise of ‘The Revelation’? Was his immortal soul to become one with the resplendent light of the immortal and starry orb which turned the seasons, nourished the earth’s eternal soul, shined upon every rock, tree, granule of sand and clump of damp soil, blade of grass, the fish of the lakes, seas, and the fowl of the air? Yes, it must be, he thought. The Others – just as his mother, Doctor Phoenix, and Terry McKinnon promised – granted him ‘The Revelation’, in exchange for the sacrifice of his mortal blood and flesh, and he began to rejoice. But then, he felt harassed with shivers of fear, drawn away from entering through the shining portal of the sun, the sacred entranceway to what he was told was heaven. This ‘Revelation’, this ultimate dream with which he was tempted, now seemed transformed into a hellish nightmare. Though mightily, he struggled against what seemed a strange and fearsome force, he felt plummeted into a swirling and storm riven sea of blackness. A drowning wave silenced his screams and, sinking beneath the roiling surface, he became forever sealed within its dark and watery tomb.

LittleLebowski
03-11-2020, 05:54 AM
The final book in Hillary Mantel's excellent series on Thomas Cromwell is out! YVK, The Mirror and the Light (https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Light-Hilary-Mantel-ebook/dp/B07RXMRGSJ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=3DT6ZZYG2OJYC&keywords=the+mirror+and+the+light&qid=1583923372&s=digital-text&sprefix=the+mirror,aps,144&sr=1-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=7ecf7e2450a929e63b2f9ed8429d2b00&language=en_US) is available now. HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYJOY (LL dances clumsily and happily).

BehindBlueI's
03-11-2020, 07:25 AM
Exert:
Dusk crept in over the mist borne wilderness. The insistent message began humming in his ears; a faint but honeyed melody. Soon, he noticed the soothing tones grew in frequency, coaxing with reassurance that, out there, beyond the field’s rowed tares of corn, great adventure and an even greater and wondrous gift awaited him. With the promise of a new morning’s dawn, after midnight, he set out on his motorcycle, seeking destiny beyond the horizon. Autumn’s wild tangles – skeletal branches of sugar maples and green ash along the winding dirt road – loomed overhead in soaring gray arcs. Cascades of leaves, like silken moth’s wings, fluttered in pools of emerging full moonlight. Gears churned, the motor sparked, and the night came alive with comet flashes. A dashing locomotive of euphoria barreled through the tunnels of every limb. His pounding heart yearned. He relished sizzling adrenaline’s unbridled surges. Over and down steep hillcrests, a wild wind’s stiff fingers stirred his hair. With tornado’s force, he swept into the widening mouth of a valley. The world became a blur of waving stalks of golden rod and towering leagues of conifers. Upon the crisp wind’s wild rushes and into his nostrils plumed the bitter tang of scented pines.

Holy shit, it's like an ESL kid ran his writing through a thesaurus app and then loaded a 10 gauge with commas and let fly.

blues
03-11-2020, 07:53 AM
The final book in Hillary Mantel's excellent series on Thomas Cromwell is out! YVK, The Mirror and the Light (https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Light-Hilary-Mantel-ebook/dp/B07RXMRGSJ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=3DT6ZZYG2OJYC&keywords=the+mirror+and+the+light&qid=1583923372&s=digital-text&sprefix=the+mirror,aps,144&sr=1-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=7ecf7e2450a929e63b2f9ed8429d2b00&language=en_US) is available now. HAPPYHAPPYHAPPYJOYJOYJOY (LL dances clumsily and happily).

Yep. It's been a long time coming. And it'll be a long time reading.

I find that, unlike many other books, I only read this series in smallish bites daily.

The adventures of "Cremuel" continue.

peterb
03-11-2020, 05:09 PM
You know how some movies are so bad they become cult classics? I think this guy may pull off the same thing with books. The prose is ... Interesting.

But can these young pretenders challenge the classic prose of the immortal H.P. Lovecraft?

The sailor Larsen was first to spy the jagged line of witch-like cones and pinnacles ahead, and his shouts sent everyone to the windows of the great cabined plane. Despite our speed, they were very slow in gaining prominence; hence we knew that they must be infinitely far off, and visible only because of their abnormal height. Little by little, however, they rose grimly into the western sky; allowing us to distinguish various bare, bleak, blackish summits, and to catch the curious sense of phantasy which they inspired as seen in the reddish antarctic light against the provocative background of iridescent ice-dust clouds. In the whole spectacle there was a persistent, pervasive hint of stupendous secrecy and potential revelation; as if these stark, nightmare spires marked the pylons of a frightful gateway into forbidden spheres of dream, and complex gulfs of remote time, space, and ultra-dimensionality. I could not help feeling that they were evil things—mountains of madness whose farther slopes looked out over some accursed ultimate abyss. That seething, half-luminous cloud-background held ineffable suggestions of a vague, ethereal beyondness far more than terrestrially spatial; and gave appalling reminders of the utter remoteness, separateness, desolation, and aeon-long death of this untrodden and unfathomed austral world.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mm.aspx

Medusa
03-13-2020, 12:49 AM

I had been looking for other books by this author and found this one at the library. Interesting time period - Viking age Ireland - okay story, okay atmosphere. An ok book, nothing particularly to fault. I don’t know if I’ll go on in the series ; maybe.

JSGlock34
03-15-2020, 08:28 AM
Alone at Dawn (https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Dawn-Recipient-Deadliest-Operations-ebook/dp/B07HF3CN5G/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1584278775&sr=8-1) is $3.99 on Kindle today.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gdc5u3nhL.jpg

Old Virginia
03-15-2020, 11:06 AM
Catch 22

A classic and basic understanding of todays life and politics.

https://i.imgur.com/gFJZTcS.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/LouDICY.jpg

blues
03-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Yes indeed. "Catch-22" is brilliant.

Help the bombardier!!!

PaleKnight
03-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Any of Jocko's books are always a sure bet for me.

Lately though, I've been hooked on Jack Carr's book series. The first two in the series are The Terminal List and True Believer, with Savage Son due to come out some time in March. If you're a gear guy, it'll be right up your alley with the action that goes on. The Terminal List is being made into a TV show staring Chris Pratt from what I've read. Hopefully, it will be a Netflix series so it can be done proper justice.

Coyotesfan97
03-16-2020, 06:32 PM
I really dig on some Vachss...Shella (http://www.vachss.com/av_novels/shella.html) remains my stand alone favorite.

It was very good. I liked it. I was surprised by the ending. Very dark.

Medusa
03-25-2020, 05:17 PM

Stylish and filled with Gibson’s wit and and at times amazing phrasing and insights along with a well developed sense of the absurd. Still, several of his recent books have felt to me like somewhat pointless erudition and flashy esoterica loosely but not entirely successfully strung together by chewing gum and piano wire, like a top quality hospital skeleton slap dashed together by a harried and largely uncaring maintenance crew.

A little gem of a book that I was sorry to finish. I will remember these characters.

I found this book profoundly moving at times and rich in its simplicity

i hadnt read any of Tsukiyama’s books before and borrowed them just to see. I’m glad I did, though I don’t know that either is a p-f kinda book, if there is such a thing.

TAZ
03-25-2020, 06:27 PM
If you've become spoiled by Audible like me over the past few months and like SCIFI:

Galaxy's Edge series by Anspach and Cole
Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson

If you like Post Apocalyptic sci-fi:

Hell Divers series by Nicholas Stansberry Smith

None of these are going to lead you to some great philosophical revelations, but they are fun to read/listen.

I hear that the Expanse will be getting another book sometime this year. Fingers crossed...

Medusa
03-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Been hooked on audible for about the last six years. It was great for long tows to races. It remains awesome for around the house, any drive time to ranges or matches, etc. that said my local library has a ton of books an audio as well. Big fan of reading / listening when possible. I just started Lone Survivor. Some stuff is laid on a bit thick at the outset but I want to hear the story.

BN
03-25-2020, 08:26 PM
My public library is closed. I have 2 Post Apocalyptic novels on hold and I can't get them. They would be perfect reading for these times. I guess I'll have to look around the house for all the 50 cent books I bought at yard sales over the years. :)

Medusa
03-25-2020, 09:11 PM
My public library is closed. I have 2 Post Apocalyptic novels on hold and I can't get them. They would be perfect reading for these times. I guess I'll have to look around the house for all the 50 cent books I bought at yard sales over the years. :)
Try their online offerings. I seldom set foot in a library but read library books constantly.

LittleLebowski
03-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Been hooked on audible for about the last six years. It was great for long tows to races. It remains awesome for around the house, any drive time to ranges or matches, etc. that said my local library has a ton of books an audio as well. Big fan of reading / listening when possible. I just started Lone Survivor. Some stuff is laid on a bit thick at the outset but I want to hear the story.

Luttrell’s dive buddy in BUDs is on this forum.

NickA
03-27-2020, 08:05 AM
If you've become spoiled by Audible like me over the past few months and like SCIFI:

Galaxy's Edge series by Anspach and Cole
Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson

If you like Post Apocalyptic sci-fi:

Hell Divers series by Nicholas Stansberry Smith

None of these are going to lead you to some great philosophical revelations, but they are fun to read/listen.

I hear that the Expanse will be getting another book sometime this year. Fingers crossed...

I've been meaning to post about the Galaxy's Edge series for a while but never did. I've really enjoyed it.
Certain characters and elements of the story are a homage to Star Wars, which the authors openly acknowledge, but I didn't find that too distracting. Basically picture if the stormtroopers realized how jacked up the Empire is and decided to do something about it. Oh and that they can actually fight [emoji41].

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Medusa
03-31-2020, 10:33 PM

I’m the proud daughter of a combat vet. I have studied military history extensively just about all of my life. This country owes an unpayable debt to her combat soldiers. It speaks well of the United States that she produces such brave people.

It also speaks well of the United States that most of her soldiers understand that a free press, civilian control of the military, and rules of engagement are or can be a big part of what makes the United States great, rather than becoming what she fights.

Old Virginia
04-01-2020, 12:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/1fhwLLG.jpg https://i.imgur.com/eSAwZYs.jpg?1

Medusa
04-01-2020, 02:37 PM
^one of my dad’s favorite books. I enjoyed it as well. Maybe I’ll mark it for a re-read.

RJ
04-02-2020, 06:40 AM
On Desperate Ground: The Epic Story of Chosin Reservoir: The Greatest Battle of the Korean War by Hampton Sides.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1101971215?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Excellent, highly detailed and moving account of the "Frozen Chosin" and the Marines of 1st MARDIV.

Wow. Although a student of Military History, I'd never read much about the Korean War. Great detail and many personal stories were woven into a compelling narrative of courage amidst unbelievable conditions.

Warped Mindless
04-02-2020, 08:24 AM

I’m the proud daughter of a combat vet. I have studied military history extensively just about all of my life. This country owes an unpayable debt to her combat soldiers. It speaks well of the United States that she produces such brave people.

It also speaks well of the United States that most of her soldiers understand that a free press, civilian control of the military, and rules of engagement are or can be a big part of what makes the United States great, rather than becoming what she fights.

I get hated on everytime I say this but while that book is a great read, turns out its pretty fictional.

I can link sources later when not on mobile if you want (though a Google search will reveal quite a few if you are inclined) but Marcus was only ambushed by 10 enemy at most, not hundreds as he has often said. The goat herders they found never "turned them in" because they were already surrounded by enemy at that point and they were waiting to see what the SEALs would do. The enemy (who weren't taliban but still a group of A holes none the less) seen the helicoptor and tracked the boot prints of the SEALs and took up superior ambush positions. Also, if the guy who found Marcus is to be believed, Marcus still had nearly all of his ammo when found.

And before anyone starts calling me some SEAL hater or something (because someone always makes that accusation against anyone who points this stuff out) I only learned all this from a former SEAL that I work with.

blues
04-02-2020, 09:08 AM
I get hated on everytime I say this but while that book is a great read, turns out its pretty fictional.

I can link sources later when not on mobile if you want (though a Google search will reveal quite a few if you are inclined) but Marcus was only ambushed by 10 enemy at most, not hundreds as he has often said. The goat herders they found never "turned them in" because they were already surrounded by enemy at that point and they were waiting to see what the SEALs would do. The enemy (who weren't taliban but still a group of A holes none the less) seen the helicoptor and tracked the boot prints of the SEALs and took up superior ambush positions. Also, if the guy who found Marcus is to be believed, Marcus still had nearly all of his ammo when found.

And before anyone starts calling me some SEAL hater or something (because someone always makes that accusation against anyone who points this stuff out) I only learned all this from a former SEAL that I work with.

The thing that turned me off in the book when I borrowed it some years back from the local library, was the self-congratulatory writing. I grew up in an era of the strong silent type hero...the guy who got up after being tackled and walked quietly back to the huddle and prepared to do it again. The military or law enforcement hero who did his job and did not seek to turn it into a profit making venture...but did his duty to the best of his ability without drawing attention to himself.

I admire the hell out of our heroes and those who have made sacrifices for our country. I admire them most when others are the ones who bring their accomplishments to light.

"There I was..."

Glenn E. Meyer
04-02-2020, 12:28 PM
Red Metal - Mark Greaney

It's a Tom Clancy type of WWIII, Russian invasion plot. The premise is silly but it's a fast, lightweight, modern armor, etc. read.

Medusa
04-02-2020, 01:22 PM
I have been polite as I can in what I posted here. I didn’t think it was a good read at all for the most part; I often found it excruciating, self contradictory, filled with the pablum, produced by a mind fed and sustained on pablum, and bearing all the hallmarks of self aggrandizing falsehood. None of that changes the debt I and all Americans owe him for facing fire on behalf of the United States, or the sincere admiration and respect I have for our service members, both elite and rank and file.

i am reading American Sniper now. So far it’s significantly better, but it’s early days yet.

bravo7
04-02-2020, 01:31 PM

You are correct on all your accounts. Unfortunately a lot of those books aren’t accurate.

NEPAKevin
04-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Perhaps because some considers works like Lone Survivor, Black Hawk Down, etc. not so much tributes or documentaries but rather memorials to those who gave their lives in the service to their country and their fellow soldiers. Just an observation, not a criticism.

ReverendMeat
04-02-2020, 07:22 PM
Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy by Max Hastings.

It was great, starts during the French doubling down on their colonial efforts post WWII and continues to the fall of South Vietnam with references made to the current state of the country today. Well organized, well paced, readable to an almost pleasantly informal way, and thorough, offering points of view from the presidents down to the boots on the ground, from all sides of the conflict.

Joe in PNG
04-03-2020, 12:35 AM
The book club is doing poetry this month, so I'm starting with "Barracks Room Ballads" by Kipling.

Medusa
04-06-2020, 01:39 AM

finished this just now. It’s a lot better than Luttrell’s book, and fairly or not, Kyle comes across as a lot brighter. It’s unflattering in ways I expect Kyle only partly intended, but it was a good read and the United States is fortunate to have such warriors. He deserved a better end than he got, that’s for sure.

spyderco monkey
04-06-2020, 04:08 AM
https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9781407233970-us.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Male-Review-Books-Classics/dp/1590172434

Awesome book, written in 1939.

"The protagonist, an unnamed British big game hunter, sets out in the spring of 1938 to see if he can get an unnamed European dictator in the sights of his rifle. Caught while taking aim by the dictator's secret service guards, he is tortured, thrown over a cliff and left for dead.

He comes to, is aided by a civilian and manages to make his way to a port, where he stows away on a British ship bound for London. Once there, he discovers that agents of the unnamed country know he has survived and are after him..."

Medusa
04-12-2020, 12:52 PM
An excellent read that has aged, in all, very well and retains its relevance. I particularly appreciated his acknowledgment of the role of women, not only as caregivers, but warriors too. I’ve studied this war pretty extensively over a span of decades, reading a great many books, but had never gotten around to reading this one. I’m glad I rectified the omission.

Wondering Beard
04-12-2020, 05:33 PM
An excellent read that has aged, in all, very well and retains its relevance. I particularly appreciated his acknowledgment of the role of women, not only as caregivers, but warriors too. I’ve studied this war pretty extensively over a span of decades, reading a great many books, but had never gotten around to reading this one. I’m glad I rectified the omission.

Bernard fall's work is superb.

'Hell in a very small place" is worth your while.

Gater
04-12-2020, 05:55 PM

I've got a copy of both around here somewhere--good time to dust them off.

For those unfamiliar (not to spoil the "ending"):

The next day Fall spoke into his tape recorder as he walked, sixth in the line of men:

“First in the afternoon about 4:30 — shadows are lengthening..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/opinion/bernard-fall-the-man-who-knew-the-war.html

Not to distract from the literary focus here, but this does make me think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIe-thE3LXY

Medusa
04-12-2020, 06:20 PM

Funny you should say that...I just borrowed it. I love my library, seriously.

finishing Gates of Fire by Pressfield in the next day or three.

Wondering Beard
04-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Funny you should say that...I just borrowed it. I love my library, seriously.

finishing Gates of Fire by Pressfield in the next day or three.

Sounds like a great library.

I hope you're having fun with Pressfield, his other books are also worthwhile. His only WWII book gives you a sense of the first British Special Forces that is really interesting and "The Afghan Campaign" is a fascinating look at Alexander's campaign from the point of view of a soldier that I think our own veterans would probably recognize.

In both 'hell in a very small place' and 'Gates of Fire', you can't escape the classic Greek tragedy themes; for the latter it's obvious, but for the former it's exceedingly instructive.

ETA: in Falls book about Dien Bien Phu, look hard at Major (later colonel and General) Bigeard. The lessons he took form that battle went straight into practice for the Algerian War. An excellent historical fiction series of books that straddle both wars (and uses a fictional Bigeard) are 'The Centurions' and 'The Praetorians' by Jean Larteguy. It's not easy to find an English translation, but if you do it will be truly worthwhile.

Wondering Beard
04-12-2020, 06:55 PM

finished this just now. It’s a lot better than Luttrell’s book, and fairly or not, Kyle comes across as a lot brighter. It’s unflattering in ways I expect Kyle only partly intended, but it was a good read and the United States is fortunate to have such warriors. He deserved a better end than he got, that’s for sure.

I believe our own Giving Back, knew Kyle personally.

Gater
04-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Recommended with some reservations, because I have nothing but contempt for the cause he ultimately served (my own family was fighting it--the wreckage of an uncle's B-17 is spread over the Carpathians), but:

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Combat-German-Soldiers-Eastern/dp/B06Y46YW4Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2625U4DM1YHLV&dchild=1&keywords=in+deadly+combat&qid=1586740951&sprefix=in+deadly+co%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1

is a good one. There's a lot of "Ostfront" lit, but this is the best I have read. It is well translated, and the introduction (by an American historian) addresses the revisionist elements. Read the reviews and the "look inside" for yourself.

To tee it up: he started the war as a gunner on a 37mm Pak, was promoted to officer and went on to get a Tank Destruction badge using a Panzerfaust--and survived to surrender to the Russians in the Courland pocket at the end of the war.

Medusa
04-12-2020, 09:11 PM
it is a great library system. A lot of times it has both audio and ebook. In some cases I buy the audiobook to go with the ebook, as I did with Fall’s Street without Joy. I see The Centurions is an audiobook available on audible, and I spend more than a case worth of ammo annually with them on a frequent reader plan, so I added it to my for later and will get to it soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA Amazon has the translation of The Praetorians for 4.99 as well.

i am on the fence about gates of fire so far. The narrator on the audible version is good but has at times a plaintive quality to his delivery that doesn’t go as well with the text, but it’s relatively early days yet.

Sounds like a great library.

I hope you're having fun with Pressfield, his other books are also worthwhile. His only WWII book gives you a sense of the first British Special Forces that is really interesting and "The Afghan Campaign" is a fascinating look at Alexander's campaign from the point of view of a soldier that I think our own veterans would probably recognize.

In both 'hell in a very small place' and 'Gates of Fire', you can't escape the classic Greek tragedy themes; for the latter it's obvious, but for the former it's exceedingly instructive.

ETA: in Falls book about Dien Bien Phu, look hard at Major (later colonel and General) Bigeard. The lessons he took form that battle went straight into practice for the Algerian War. An excellent historical fiction series of books that straddle both wars (and uses a fictional Bigeard) are 'The Centurions' and 'The Praetorians' by Jean Larteguy. It's not easy to find an English translation, but if you do it will be truly worthwhile.

Odin Bravo One
04-13-2020, 12:57 AM
I believe our own Giving Back, knew Kyle personally.

I was the acting platoon chief during the Sadr City missions in 2008.

Joshmill
04-13-2020, 02:35 AM
I think Orwell's Animal Farm and especially 1984 should be required reading in every high school. 1984 is the best. The movie was great but the book was 100 times better.

Wondering Beard
04-13-2020, 09:58 AM
it is a great library system. A lot of times it has both audio and ebook. In some cases I buy the audiobook to go with the ebook, as I did with Fall’s Street without Joy. I see The Centurions is an audiobook available on audible, and I spend more than a case worth of ammo annually with them on a frequent reader plan, so I added it to my for later and will get to it soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA Amazon has the translation of The Praetorians for 4.99 as well.

i am on the fence about gates of fire so far. The narrator on the audible version is good but has at times a plaintive quality to his delivery that doesn’t go as well with the text, but it’s relatively early days yet.

I've never gotten into audio books because if my eyes leave the letters, I'll start focusing on something else and miss the story. Shame about the narrator though since Pressfield's prose is interesting.

I hope you get good translations for Larteguy's books; French translated into English can lose some of the intent of the author. I suppose it's the same for most translations but somehow it struck me more for the French to English than, for example, Italian/Spanish to English. In any case, with a good translation, I hope you will enjoy yourself and get an opening on a very different view for events you know.

BehindBlueI's
04-13-2020, 10:01 AM
I've never gotten into audio books because if my eyes leave the letters, I'll start focusing on something else and miss the story.

Mind wandering and people talk slower then I want to listen. I tried audiobooks at faster speeds but anything approaching my reading speed sounds like a mouse who's parachute won't open.

Medusa
04-13-2020, 04:34 PM
I have learned to listen at 1.5 speed and retain everything while still being able to do other tasks. Audio is fine at 1.5 speed. I do read faster, but the ability to read while traveling or doing housewife things or have one earphone in while walking our adorable knucklehead dog a few miles every day radically increases my overall ability to read a lot of books instead of only relying on eyeball reading time, which has more limits. That’s how I read 77 books last year, and a similar number year before.

pressfield’s prose is ok. Regarding French translations, I don’t speak it so will have to take what I’m offered. I know little about the Algerian war and look forward to learning more.

I've never gotten into audio books because if my eyes leave the letters, I'll start focusing on something else and miss the story. Shame about the narrator though since Pressfield's prose is interesting.

I hope you get good translations for Larteguy's books; French translated into English can lose some of the intent of the author. I suppose it's the same for most translations but somehow it struck me more for the French to English than, for example, Italian/Spanish to English. In any case, with a good translation, I hope you will enjoy yourself and get an opening on a very different view for events you know.

Coyotesfan97
04-13-2020, 06:00 PM
Recommended with some reservations, because I have nothing but contempt for the cause he ultimately served (my own family was fighting it--the wreckage of an uncle's B-17 is spread over the Carpathians), but:

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Combat-German-Soldiers-Eastern/dp/B06Y46YW4Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2625U4DM1YHLV&dchild=1&keywords=in+deadly+combat&qid=1586740951&sprefix=in+deadly+co%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1

is a good one. There's a lot of "Ostfront" lit, but this is the best I have read. It is well translated, and the introduction (by an American historian) addresses the revisionist elements. Read the reviews and the "look inside" for yourself.

To tee it up: he started the war as a gunner on a 37mm Pak, was promoted to officer and went on to get a Tank Destruction badge using a Panzerfaust--and survived to surrender to the Russians in the Courland pocket at the end of the war.

His book is on a shelf somewhere in my house. I recommend it. Its probably next to my paper copy of The Forgotten Soldier.

Gater
04-13-2020, 06:34 PM
His book is on a shelf somewhere in my house. I recommend it. Its probably next to my paper copy of The Forgotten Soldier.

Realizing I forgot to spell it out: In Deadly Combat, Gottlob Herbert Bidermann

My copy is in the same spot, next to Forgotten Soldier. IMHO, more substance from Biderman, more style in Sajer. Both worth the read.

Again, not to distract from the literary, but:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn7UJvHNtM

One of the actions he describes is taking on three tanks, in succession, with the 37mm—and watching his first hit ricochet off. Next shot was at 40 meters.

Wondering Beard
04-13-2020, 06:40 PM
I have learned to listen at 1.5 speed and retain everything while still being able to do other tasks. Audio is fine at 1.5 speed. I do read faster, but the ability to read while traveling or doing housewife things or have one earphone in while walking our adorable knucklehead dog a few miles every day radically increases my overall ability to read a lot of books instead of only relying on eyeball reading time, which has more limits. That’s how I read 77 books last year, and a similar number year before.

pressfield’s prose is ok. Regarding French translations, I don’t speak it so will have to take what I’m offered. I know little about the Algerian war and look forward to learning more.

The Algerian War is fascinating, to me at least. It is argued, mostly correctly I think, that the airmobile tactics used by the US in Viet Nam were first really developed by the French in Algeria; The French military systematically (and nearly officially), extensively and mostly successfully used torture for intelligence purposes (it was sort of a "lessons learned" from dealing with the Germans and the Viet Minh - not a good reason but that's what was argued); It led to the straight up mutiny (and attempted coup) of a couple of regular (not conscript) army units and of a few generals, who took up terrorism against the French government for a few years after (the basis for Frederic Forsyth's 'Day of the jackal'); it led to the Fall of the Fourth French Republic and its effects are still being felt nowadays. For France, losing its empire was a shock to the system that still isn't fully digested.

TAZ
04-13-2020, 06:51 PM
Currently reading:

If you're a MacArthur fan dont read it :)

Gater
04-13-2020, 07:15 PM
I'm a little slow on the draw with an Easter recommendation, but if you are unfamiliar with the story of:

https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Dong-Ha-Bluejacket-Books/dp/155750587X

AKA, Ripley at the Bridge...you should check it out.

Stephanie B
04-13-2020, 07:58 PM
I just got this in today:

I'm looking forward to reading it as he sold me his Model 696 a few years before he had his stroke and subsequently passed. I knew him through his blog, which often was more about farming than shooting.

Here's the link (https://amazon.com/gp/product/0873498992/). It came from a 3rd party, who included a nice note asking that I try to stay safe during this pandemic.

Coyotesfan97
04-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Realizing I forgot to spell it out: In Deadly Combat, Gottlob Herbert Bidermann

My copy is in the same spot, next to Forgotten Soldier. IMHO, more substance from Biderman, more style in Sajer. Both worth the read.

Again, not to distract from the literary, but:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn7UJvHNtM

One of the actions he describes is taking on three tanks, in succession, with the 37mm—and watching his first hit ricochet off. Next shot was at 40 meters.

I first read The Forgotten Soldier in late grade school after fortunately finding it in the school library. I read it once a year. One thing I always remember is Sajer writing one should read stories like his outside in a freezing rain and not in an armchair by the fire. I agree with your take of the two books.

I also like Sniper on the Eastern Front written by Albrecht Wacker about Sepp Allerberger.

ReverendMeat
04-13-2020, 11:40 PM
Currently reading:

If you're a MacArthur fan dont read it :)

Currently reading The Coldest Winter, about the Korean War. Same thing, it spends like 100 pages talking about how much of an actual shit MacArthur was

DDTSGM
04-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Currently reading The Coldest Winter, about the Korean War. Same thing, it spends like 100 pages talking about how much of an actual shit MacArthur was

If you read much about the Korean War, that is a consistent theme.

Medusa
04-15-2020, 01:48 PM
If you read much about the Korean War, that is a consistent theme.
Or if you personally knew combat soldiers who were in Korea fighting in November 1950. To be fair, my dad always gave him credit for Inchon.

Bigguy
04-15-2020, 03:01 PM
War's Edge: Dead Heros (https://www.amazon.com/Wars-Edge-Ryan-W-Aslesen-ebook/dp/B086B7N1HB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QDAE8U1DRZ8K&dchild=1&keywords=war%27s+edge+dead+heroes&qid=1586980346&sprefix=war%27s%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1) Military Sci-fi by Ryan W. Aslesen. The author is a former Marine Officer and currently a Security Consultant.
The only other books I've read in the Genre are "Starship Troopers," and the "Frontline" series by Marko Kloos.
It starts out with a guy going through boot camp on one thread, while you see the rest of the system getting ready for conflict. There is a grittiness to the writing that feels authentic to this Civi, though the bootcamp he describes seems more like hell week of seal training. I'd love to know what some of you vets think of it.

Medusa
04-16-2020, 03:43 PM

I finished this just now. Of course the battle of Thermopylae is a stirring tale, often told. In that, this delivers. Still, I’m somewhat of mixed mind on this. It’s vivid and the details of every day life of this time period help make it come alive. The frequent references to steel rather than iron seem jarring for events set in 480 bc, and the well intentioned but clunky gender essentialism doesn’t land well for me.

Mark D
04-19-2020, 11:15 PM
The River, by Peter Heller.

The story of two friends on a back-country canoe trip in Alaska. They encounter a huge forest fire and another traveler who happens to be homicidal. Good character development and an excellent plot. As a bonus, the author pays attention to detail, including fly fishing, canoes, and rifles. Damn good.

https://www.amazon.com/River-novel-Peter-Heller/dp/0525521879

Joe in PNG
04-19-2020, 11:33 PM

A lot of Aussie books about WWII also go into what a terrible person Dugout Doug was.

Then there's Ike's rather caustic opinion. "I just can't understand how such a damn fool could have gotten to be a general."- Ann Whitman Diary, Dec.4,1954

DDTSGM
04-20-2020, 12:47 AM
A lot of Aussie books about WWII also go into what a terrible person Dugout Doug was.

Then there's Ike's rather caustic opinion. "I just can't understand how such a damn fool could have gotten to be a general."- Ann Whitman Diary, Dec.4,1954

If you ever read the 'men's harlequin romance' novels of W.E.B. Griffin, specifically The Corps series, the machinations of MacArthur and Charles A. Willoughby are featured throughout. I kind of figured that some of the things were loosely based on fact.

blues
04-20-2020, 07:55 AM
The River, by Peter Heller.

The story of two friends on a back-country canoe trip in Alaska. They encounter a huge forest fire and another traveler who happens to be homicidal. Good character development and an excellent plot. As a bonus, the author pays attention to detail, including fly fishing, canoes, and rifles. Damn good.

https://www.amazon.com/River-novel-Peter-Heller/dp/0525521879

He's one for three with me.

Loved "The Dog Stars". Hated "The Painter". And I thought "The River" could have been, should have been much better.

Medusa
04-20-2020, 12:00 PM

This isn’t my usual fare but I really enjoyed this book. Maybe it was, in part, because it reminded me of Los Angeles, where I was born and raised, but it was also just a good story, even if it did refer to magazines as “clips." I’m sure I’ll read more of these books.

Baldanders
04-20-2020, 01:58 PM
War's Edge: Dead Heros (https://www.amazon.com/Wars-Edge-Ryan-W-Aslesen-ebook/dp/B086B7N1HB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QDAE8U1DRZ8K&dchild=1&keywords=war%27s+edge+dead+heroes&qid=1586980346&sprefix=war%27s%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1) Military Sci-fi by Ryan W. Aslesen. The author is a former Marine Officer and currently a Security Consultant.
The only other books I've read in the Genre are "Starship Troopers," and the "Frontline" series by Marko Kloos.
It starts out with a guy going through boot camp on one thread, while you see the rest of the system getting ready for conflict. There is a grittiness to the writing that feels authentic to this Civi, though the bootcamp he describes seems more like hell week of seal training. I'd love to know what some of you vets think of it.

I would highly recommend Haldeman's "The Forever War" if you like "Starship Troopers." Even Heinlein was a fan. The 1990s revision with the original middle section beats the original release, IMO. I assume that is the edition sold now.

It was based on Haldeman's Vietnam experience, but is probably a better match to our own current ongoing wars than it was to that one. (Aside from the conscription of troops) It's worth reading the first few pages for the instructional film on " Eight Silent Ways to Kill a Man," the narrator reaching for his reefer box, and the manditory rotating bunking arrangements to encourage fucking.

"Why do you get the tired ones when you are randy, and the randy ones when you are tired?"

A bit dated in places, but every bit the classic Starship Troopers is.

Half Moon
04-20-2020, 02:57 PM
I would highly recommend Haldeman's "The Forever War" if you like "Starship Troopers." Even Heinlein was a fan. The 1990s revision with the original middle section beats the original release, IMO. I assume that is the edition sold now.

It was based on Haldeman's Vietnam experience, but is probably a better match to our own current ongoing wars than it was to that one. (Aside from the conscription of troops) It's worth reading the first few pages for the instructional film on " Eight Silent Ways to Kill a Man," the narrator reaching for his reefer box, and the manditory rotating bunking arrangements to encourage fucking.

"Why do you get the tired ones when you are randy, and the randy ones when you are tired?"

A bit dated in places, but every bit the classic Starship Troopers is.

There was a revised edition?!? Got to go hit Amazon now...

Baldanders
04-20-2020, 03:31 PM
There was a revised edition?!? Got to go hit Amazon now...

I just checked Wikipedia and evidently there have been two revised editions since the first.

I have only read the first, but I read the middle novella ( whole story was originally printed as separate novellas in periodicals) You Can Never Go Back in the Dealing in Futures collection in the late 80s.

The second printing includes You Can Never.... According to Wikipedia, the third edition cleans up some discrepancies introduced by placing the middle novella into the first edition versions of the other sections.

The middle novella really emphasizes what a shithole Earth is when Mandella returns for the first time. He and Marygay sightsee and he gets a SA .410 revolver for self-defense. The description of what it does to people is over-the-top. I think he uses flechette shells.

I'd grab "Dealing in Futures" if I were you, because the other stories are some of Haldeman's best work. "Seasons" is scary and believable, "A!Tangled Web" is funny, and "Blood Sisters" (originally published in Playboy) features a rich woman who um, "plays" with her clone, ".48 Magnum Recoiless" pistols, and a flechette gun with explosive flechettes used to take out boats. Great fun.

(Best guns in a Haldeman story are in "Buying Time"---the "crowdpleaser" which is a shotgun with a 2 meter range and something that is essentially a handheld claymore mine. One shot, naturally.)

Joe in PNG
04-20-2020, 08:37 PM
Re-reading some of Ian M Banks "Culture" sf novels right now: just finished "Look to Windward" and "Matter", will read "Surface Detail" next.

Baldanders
04-20-2020, 09:06 PM
Re-reading some of Ian M Banks "Culture" sf novels right now: just finished "Look to Windward" and "Matter", will read "Surface Detail" next.

"The Player of Games" is my favorite. But "Use of Weapons" and "The Hydrogen Sonata" are close runner-ups.

"Matter" may have the most depressing theme of any book, ever. "We know the world is real because it is so shitty."

Hey, just remembered I haven't read "Inversions" yet. Next paycheck!

Have you read any of Banks' non-SF? "The Wasp Factory" is good, and "The Bridge" is great! The latter has a Culture knife missle that shows up in a dream sequence.

I find Banks as re-readable as Heinlein, and as good at distracting me from my troubles.

Mark D
04-20-2020, 10:08 PM

Loved "The Dog Stars". Hated "The Painter". And I thought "The River" could have been, should have been much better.

I'll check out The Dog Stars. Thanks.

blues
04-20-2020, 10:10 PM
I'll check out The Dog Stars. Thanks.

Please let us know how you like it.

Lester Polfus
04-21-2020, 02:10 AM

Reading a bad book doesn't bother me. I hit the point where I've had enough and just quit. The River wasn't a bad book, but there was so much unrealized potential that it upset me more than if it had been a bad book.

I just downloaded The Painter a couple of days ago. I guess we'll see.

Andy T
04-21-2020, 10:48 PM
Tanker Pilot: Lessons from the cockpit (https://www.amazon.com/Tanker-Pilot-Lessons-Cockpit/dp/B076PPSXRD/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lessons+from+the+cockpit&qid=1587527210&sr=8-2) - great book written by a former USAF tanker pilot. Gives a different perspective compared to other books written by fighter/attack pilots.

Stephanie B
04-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918 (https://www.amazon.com/Very-Dreadful-Influenza-Pandemic-1918/dp/B077V5H5L3).

Pretty informative and an easy read. The book predates the Covid-19 pandemic by two years. It's selling well enough that Amazon's not offering any discount.

Other than two facts (they didn't know what viruses were and the Great War was raging), there are a lot of parallels between that pandemic and this one, especially with regard to political vs. public health issues.

Mark D
04-22-2020, 11:10 PM
Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918 (https://www.amazon.com/Very-Dreadful-Influenza-Pandemic-1918/dp/B077V5H5L3).

Pretty informative and an easy read. The book predates the Covid-19 pandemic by two years.

Loved "The Dog Stars".

Thanks for the recommendations, just ordered both from Book Depository. Along with Tom Given's book.

csheehy
04-23-2020, 11:34 AM

If you are so inclined, the audiobook of The Dog Stars is excellent. Read the book a few years ago and then bought the audiobook-the narrator is terrific. Usually, if you have the Kindle book, the audiobook is often discounted.

On a tangent, Luke Daniels narrates Marko Kloos' Frontlines and Palladium series. All are excellent (the books and the recordings).

Ray Porter is also amazing. He's done a ton of books by Jack Carr, Peter Clines, and I believe all the Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike books.

blues
04-23-2020, 11:37 AM
If you are so inclined, the audiobook of The Dog Stars is excellent. Read the book a few years ago and then bought the audiobook-the narrator is terrific. Usually, if you have the Kindle book, the audiobook is often discounted.

On a tangent, Luke Daniels narrates Marko Kloos' Frontlines and Palladium series. All are excellent (the books and the recordings).

Ray Porter is also amazing. He's done a ton of books by Jack Carr, Peter Clines, and I believe all the Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike books.

If you are replying to me, (since you quoted me), I am not a fan of the audiobook format. Just an old school reader. I'm sure it's great for many, though and thank you for thinking to reach out about it.

Greg
04-23-2020, 12:29 PM
I've been thinking about rereading "God's Middle Finger" by Richard Grant because it's interesting and hilarious in spots.

God's Middle Finger: Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre > https://smile.amazon.com/Gods-Middle-Finger-Lawless-Sierra-ebook/dp/B0016P7SH6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=God%27s+Middle+Finger&qid=1587662768&sr=8-1

A Brit decides to explore the Sierra Madre and gets into a bit of trouble. He encounters some of Mexico's quirks that PC culture won't let us talk about anymore, but he felt free to talk about them.

LE members in particular may appreciate the view of the Narcos and the lawlessness from that side of the border. Even the Aztecs avoided the Sierra Madre, it's always been wacky up there.

Medusa
04-25-2020, 02:24 AM

An outstanding, no-nonsense military study of the lead up to the battle, the battle, and the sequelae. If one is a student of the conflicts in Vietnam, it’s a must read. Just an excellent book. I appreciate the recommendation up thread.

Medusa
04-27-2020, 02:17 PM

I liked it well enough, but it often felt a little bit contrived and self referential. Not quite the magic of the Lonesome Dove books, but a good palate cleanser between heavier reads, with a fairly likable female protagonist.

Stephanie B
04-27-2020, 04:28 PM
I downloaded A Journal of the Plague Year (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/376) by Daniel Defoe. It's about the bubonic plague in London in 1665.

I'm maybe 5% into it. Some of the things he discussed, such as deciding whether to stay in the city or flee to the countryside, ring eerily true today.

Coyotesfan97
04-27-2020, 04:43 PM
I really liked The Cunning Man by DJ (Dave) Butler and Aaron Ritchey. Here’s a synopsis. “It’s the depths of the Depression, and a mining town in Utah is shut down. Something has awakened underground, and now a monster roams the tunnels. Along comes Hiram Woolley. Hiram is a man with mystical abilities derived from the commonsense application of Scot-Irish folk wisdom and German Braucher magic”.

I really liked it. It has a Silver John feel to it.

Dave writes the Witchy series which I really like. I was fortunate to win an autographed copy of Witchy Eye. It’s the first book in the series.

He also writes the Rock Band Fights Evil series.

Medusa
04-29-2020, 01:37 PM
I’m reading A Savage War of Peace (Algeria 1954-1962), by Alistair Horne (https://amzn.to/2L36dcq), as a way to lean more about a war I’m not very familiar with and before I get to Larteguy’s Praetorians. It’s excellent thus far.

I’d like to learn more about the Rhodesian Bush War(s) / Second Chimurenga as well. Any suggestions? Dingo Firestorm (https://amzn.to/3fnwPTD) is one book I’ve come across that looks good.

Medusa
05-05-2020, 09:20 PM

A substantial, well written, thorough, clear-eyed account of this savage conflict’s causes, process, and consequences. I really didn’t know much about it going in, and much of it is shocking as well as saddening in the usual way accounts of warfare are. This, along with the two Fall books I read in the last few weeks, will give me a better background when I read Larteguy’s The Centurions and The Praetorians. Highly recommended.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2020, 05:35 PM

A substantial, well written, thorough, clear-eyed account of this savage conflict’s causes, process, and consequences. I really didn’t know much about it going in, and much of it is shocking as well as saddening in the usual way accounts of warfare are. This, along with the two Fall books I read in the last few weeks, will give me a better background when I read Larteguy’s The Centurions and The Praetorians. Highly recommended.

Not cool, posting a review like that, purchased :D

Medusa
05-06-2020, 07:16 PM
Not cool, posting a review like that, purchased :D
It can be dry, but if you want to know more about this war, it delivers in spades. The audible narration is excellent - I checked the ebook out from my library and sprang for the audible on my nickel, so could switch between reading and listening.

Medusa
05-07-2020, 09:57 PM

Definitely the best of the three SEAL-written GWOT books I’ve read this year. Lacz seems the brightest of the three, the chest pounding and braggadocio is snubbed down some, and overall the level of detail is high, and the narrative structure better done.

My library had this on audio and ebook form. It really is a great library system.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-08-2020, 12:19 PM
The World of the Battleship: The Design and Careers of Capital Ships of the World's Navies, 1900-1950
by Bruce Taylor | Oct 15, 2018

For naval history fans. It documents interesting ships from navies big and small. Not the just classic ships but relatively obscure ones. One of my hobbies, since I took an advanced military history elective in college and wrote my paper on the 1921 Naval Limitation treaties. Prof was a major general / PhD who was head of the Hungarian Military Academy and had to flee in 1956 after fighting the Russians. Great course.

Been reading that sort of thing since. Going through Norman Friedman's books on navies, weapons, etc. Found out that the public library had some - saved me a buck (well, when they reopen).

TheRoland
05-08-2020, 12:50 PM
The World of the Battleship: The Design and Careers of Capital Ships of the World's Navies, 1900-1950
by Bruce Taylor | Oct 15, 2018

For naval history fans. It documents interesting ships from navies big and small. Not the just classic ships but relatively obscure ones. One of my hobbies, since I took an advanced military history elective in college and wrote my paper on the 1921 Naval Limitation treaties. Prof was a major general / PhD who was head of the Hungarian Military Academy and had to flee in 1956 after fighting the Russians. Great course.

Been reading that sort of thing since. Going through Norman Friedman's books on navies, weapons, etc. Found out that the public library had some - saved me a buck (well, when they reopen).

I assume yes, given your interest in this book, but have you read Neptune's Inferno? It's my first recommendation to anyone who ever reveals they've read any naval nonfiction.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-08-2020, 01:46 PM
No, thanks - I'm ordering it. This one is good - Storm Over Leyte by Prados.

ReverendMeat
05-08-2020, 07:32 PM
I’d like to learn more about the Rhodesian Bush War(s) / Second Chimurenga as well. Any suggestions? Dingo Firestorm (https://amzn.to/3fnwPTD) is one book I’ve come across that looks good.

Dingo Firestorm is AWESOME especially if you have an interest in aviation at all.

Baxter's Bush War Rhodesia is a tad dry, but it's short and good overview of the conflict in case you're not already familiar with it.

Shadows of a Forgotten Past is mostly good and the best part about it is the author has experience in a lot of different units, iirc British and Rhodie SAS, RLI, Selous Scouts and SADF Recces.

Handful of Hard Men is great and especially eye opening when it talks about the history of ZANU and ZAPU as well as the political machinations, it also has full citations which is nice

Rainbows End by Lauren St James if you want a non-military perspective, it's memoirs so not much actual context.

Also not Bush War but Koevoet! is by an American journalist tagging along with a South African CT unit in Namibia and is very good.

Gater
05-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Dingo Firestorm is AWESOME especially if you have an interest in aviation at all.

Baxter's Bush War Rhodesia is a tad dry, but it's short and good overview of the conflict in case you're not already familiar with it.

Shadows of a Forgotten Past is mostly good and the best part about it is the author has experience in a lot of different units, iirc British and Rhodie SAS, RLI, Selous Scouts and SADF Recces.

Handful of Hard Men is great and especially eye opening when it talks about the history of ZANU and ZAPU as well as the political machinations, it also has full citations which is nice

Rainbows End by Lauren St James if you want a non-military perspective, it's memoirs so not much actual context.

Also not Bush War but Koevoet! is by an American journalist tagging along with a South African CT unit in Namibia and is very good.

Several there that I'll want to check out, myself, but I can second Koevoet!: a good read.

Medusa
05-08-2020, 08:27 PM
thank you. I’ll make my way through some of these for sure.

Bigguy
05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
QUESTION:

Not a recommendation, but I think this might still be an appropriate thread for this post.
I’m looking for opinions, though if somebody has an authoritative answer that would be great as well.
Question:
In my next novel, a body is found with an arrow in its back. Several times I have characters talk about him having been shot with a “bow and arrow.”
It occurs to me that I wouldn’t talk about somebody being shot with a "gun and bullet." Just wondering what the consensus is on the correct terminology.

blues
05-09-2020, 11:39 AM
QUESTION:

Not a recommendation, but I think this might still be an appropriate thread for this post.
I’m looking for opinions, though if somebody has an authoritative answer that would be great as well.
Question:
In my next novel, a body is found with an arrow in its back. Several times I have characters talk about him having been shot with a “bow and arrow.”
It occurs to me that I wouldn’t talk about somebody being shot with a "gun and bullet." Just wondering what the consensus is on the correct terminology.

Shot with a bow would suffice, imho. The arrow is implied.

Lester Polfus
05-09-2020, 03:39 PM
QUESTION:

Question:

I'm a traditional archer, so if you need any help with that, hit me up.

Stephanie B
05-09-2020, 07:39 PM
I just finished The Wreck of the Memphis, by Edward Beach. It was written in the 1960s, when a number of survivors of the disaster were still alive. The descriptions of what happened in the engineering spaces of the coal-fired warship were harrowing.

The author was a decorated submarine officer as well as the son of the captain of the USS Memphis. The author commanded USS Triton on the first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth.

Half Moon
05-10-2020, 08:17 AM
I just finished The Wreck of the Memphis, by Edward Beach. It was written in the 1960s, when a number of survivors of the disaster were still alive. The descriptions of what happened in the engineering spaces of the coal-fired warship were harrowing.

The author was a decorated submarine officer as well as the son of the captain of the USS Memphis. The author commanded USS Triton on the first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth.

I'll have to check it out!

I read a book a few years ago, but don't remember the title, about the Battle of Jutland. The descriptions of the engine room action on the sinking ships were pretty nasty. Engineering spaces aren't safe spaces even today but especially so on those old steam ships. Massive sized open piston rods, open gears, yada, and all ready to chew sailors into pieces plus add in steam leaks... ugh.

Beach is a good author. If you haven't already, you should take a look at Run Silent, Run Deep. WW2 fiction about submarines in the Pacific. First book in a trilogy he wrote and the best of the three.

Joe S
05-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned; I only read this thread when I need more reading material, and I don't wish to right now and build a bigger backlog.

Finished Savage Son, by Jack Carr. If you liked his others, you will like this one. Former SEAL continues his complicated quest of revenge.

Started I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, where a former spook gets involved in a complex murder investigation in NYC. Good so far.

Started Fall, or Dodge in Hell, by Neal Stephenson. Haven't finished it yet, and put it to the side, a rarity for me. Drags too much for my liking in the middle, and I've crushed every single other book he's written, with the exception of the historical fiction series about halfway through the second book, when i felt it started to drag. I finished the series, but found too much of it just boring.

Started Agency, by William Gibson. Very interesting, as nearly all his novels are. Weird and yet insightful to our present world.

Nearly finished with Bob Baer's The Perfect Kill, 21 Laws for Assassins. Not as gripping as I thought it would be. Could be half the length, easy, if you approach it as a mindset/psychology/philosophy book, similar to how many people would go to The Book of 5 Rings or The Art of War. Lol, maybe that's my fault. Reads more as a memoir of a personally important episode in Baer's life that looms large for him, and is somewhat interesting from a historical perspective, but not very engaging, IMO, as a story.

Reskimmed Combat Strength Training by Pat Mac, which is kinda cool if you really needed a workout program and loved the persona. I don't need the program, even if I get a kick out of him and find him inspiring. I suppose I was treated to lots of photos of him tan, sweaty and shirtless. I really liked his Sentinel book, and think it's good book to buy, read through once even if you know much of the same, and pass it on to someone else less familiar.

Gonna shortly start The Eagle and The Dragon, by Chris Duffin, the mind and muscles behind Kabuki Strength.

Grey
05-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Question: Anyone have any good books on "leadership?" I wanted to read something interesting with management and leadership, potentially in a military context, since I need to fulfill some education credits and I might as well have something interesting to read...

Andy T
05-10-2020, 11:53 AM
The Mission, The Men, and Me (https://www.amazon.com/The-Mission-Men-and-Me-audiobook/dp/B00H7W74MG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=32FJTC639B8YI&dchild=1&keywords=the+mission+the+men+and+me&qid=1589129463&sprefix=the+mission%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1)
Leadership from the Shadows (https://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Shadows-Kyle-Lamb-ebook/dp/B016AMB85M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=F0SH52D022OH&dchild=1&keywords=leadership+from+the+shadows&qid=1589129501&sprefix=leadership+from+the+sh%2Caudible%2C139&sr=8-2)

Cheap Shot
05-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Question: Anyone have any good books on "leadership?" I wanted to read something interesting with management and leadership, potentially in a military context, since I need to fulfill some education credits and I might as well have something interesting to read...

Jocko Willink

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Ownership-Dichotomy-Leadership-Discipline/dp/9123836660

da6dspanburg
05-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't
https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Eat-Last-Together-Others/dp/1591845327/

LittleLebowski
05-11-2020, 07:29 AM
Finished Savage Son, by Jack Carr (https://www.amazon.com/Savage-Son-Thriller-Terminal-List-ebook/dp/B07THCSQ27/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3S8BBRW3UWBRO&keywords=savage+son+jack+carr&qid=1589200059&sprefix=savage+son%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-1). If you liked his others, you will like this one. Former SEAL continues his complicated quest of revenge.

This has been sold to Amazon and Chris Pratt will be starring. I gotta make time to read this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8290995/Chris-Pratt-joins-new-Amazon-Studios-spy-thriller-series-Terminal-List.html

Joe S
05-11-2020, 02:47 PM
This has been sold to Amazon and Chris Pratt will be starring. I gotta make time to read this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8290995/Chris-Pratt-joins-new-Amazon-Studios-spy-thriller-series-Terminal-List.html

Entertaining and interesting how Carr references/has in the background very serious themes, but doesn't force them over the very exciting action. I suggest the first 2, also. Terminal List was a great first novel, had me from the very beginning.

Grey
05-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Jocko Willink

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Ownership-Dichotomy-Leadership-Discipline/dp/9123836660

Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don't
https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Eat-Last-Together-Others/dp/1591845327/

Ordered both, thanks gentlemen!

Casual Friday
05-11-2020, 03:48 PM

Did you catch Rogan's podcast when Jack Carr was on a week or two ago? It's worth a listen if you haven't.

Coyotesfan97
05-11-2020, 06:23 PM

Leaders Eat Last (https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Eat-Last-Together-Others/dp/B084D1NZGL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16OML87W8FBNV&dchild=1&keywords=leaders+eat+last&qid=1589238931&sprefix=Leaders+%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-1) by Simon Sinek

https://youtu.be/lmyZMtPVodo

short clip from a longer presentation

Gater
05-11-2020, 06:29 PM

It’s a memoir (a good one) and not a a leadership manual, per se, but for someone grappling with leadership/command responsibility at the small unit level, I’d strongly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/Platoon-Leader-Memoir-Command-Combat/dp/0891418008

Cost is minimal, and I bet you’ll read it more than once.

ETA: Here’s a review elsewhere:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/03/20/mcdonoughs-platoon-leader-a-great-memoir-by-a-vietnam-war-lieutenant/

Medusa
05-12-2020, 12:13 AM
Finished this today:

It’s a fine book, less formal military history (despite the footnotes) than the kind of book that puts a human face on individual soldier experiences in a major battle of the Vietnam War. As long as you don’t expect the former - as I did initially - one finds it a solid title on this battle.

Gun Mutt
05-12-2020, 10:43 AM
...In my next novel, a body is found with an arrow in its back. Several times I have characters talk about him having been shot with a “bow and arrow.”...

Just tossing this out there to be helpful; in hunting, arrows tend to go all the way through animals much larger than humans, so if it's going to be stuck in the body, it should come from a bow with a really light draw or travel a long way to get to the body.

Gun Mutt
05-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Did you catch Rogan's podcast when Jack Carr was on a week or two ago? It's worth a listen if you haven't.

Really, really enjoyed that podcast! Here's a snippet about the Pratt's involvement in the upcoming Amazon series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq8DbdwPrCI

Coyotesfan97
05-12-2020, 11:58 AM
QUESTION:

Question:

You’ll need to know the different types of tips that go on arrows. Here’s a good link for that.

https://rangerexpert.com/arrow-tips/

Bigguy
05-12-2020, 01:05 PM
You’ll need to know the different types of tips that go on arrows. Here’s a good link for that.

https://rangerexpert.com/arrow-tips/

Thanks, but I've bow hunted for years. I already know what tip it will have, and that will become an important detail in the plot. I do appreciate the link though.

Coyotesfan97
05-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Thanks, but I've bow hunted for years. I already know what tip it will have, and that will become an important detail in the plot. I do appreciate the link though.

Sweet that’s what I get for assuming ;)

NEPAKevin
05-12-2020, 05:12 PM

Couple that may be of interest. IIRC, Carr had Bax's book in Reese's study in the Terminal List.

Three Sips of Gin: Dominating the Battlespace with Rhodesia's famed Selous Scouts (https://www.amazon.com/Three-Sips-Gin-Dominating-Battlespace-ebook/dp/B00IRHB1FQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=three+sips+of+gin&qid=1589320516&s=books&sr=1-1)

James and the Duck: Tales of the Rhodesian Bush War (1964 - 1980) (https://www.amazon.com/James-Duck-Tales-Rhodesian-Bush-ebook/dp/B07CQ8Z37M/ref=sr_1_30?crid=1OFI2J60VP2CO&dchild=1&keywords=rhodesian+bush+war&qid=1589320980&s=books&sprefix=rhod%2Cstripbooks%2C237&sr=1-30)

I started reading Bitter Harvest (https://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Harvest-Zimbabwe-Aftermath-Independence-ebook/dp/B0078X0YBW/ref=sr_1_45?crid=1OFI2J60VP2CO&dchild=1&keywords=rhodesian+bush+war&qid=1589321064&s=books&sprefix=rhod%2Cstripbooks%2C237&sr=1-45) by Ian Smith but got distracted by something else and never went back to it.

Medusa
05-18-2020, 05:49 PM

I gave this book 4 stars because I think it is an important book and one worth reading, but you will leave it feeling nauseous from the 60 year old stale Gauloises smoke in your lungs, and with the taste of stale, gone-rancid and likely poisonous latte in your mouth. Or anyway, I sure felt like I did. There are real insights here, such as the parallels between Christianity and Communism and any system claiming a univocal lock on The Truth. There are apt character studies and a keen observational eye, and insights to be gained on the alienation of fighting soldiers from the governments who put them to use. But there is also the most horrifyingly naked racism and homophobia, colonialist justification, a soul crushing, wearying cynicism about everyone and everything, and appallingly sexist gender essentialist concepts of womanhood and femininity.

As a novel, it is thinly plotted, something like a Platonic Dialog or perhaps a book like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - the events mainly serve as a foil for various discussions of ideas and observations about people.

My .02, OMMV of course.

Wondering Beard
05-18-2020, 06:03 PM

I gave this book 4 stars because I think it is an important book and one worth reading, but you will leave it feeling nauseous from the 60 year old stale Gauloises smoke in your lungs, and with the taste of stale, gone-rancid and likely poisonous latte in your mouth. Or anyway, I sure felt like I did. There are real insights here, such as the parallels between Christianity and Communism and any system claiming a univocal lock on The Truth. There are apt character studies and a keen observational eye, and insights to be gained on the alienation of fighting soldiers from the governments who put them to use. But there is also the most horrifyingly naked racism and homophobia, colonialist justification, a soul crushing, wearying cynicism about everyone and everything, and appallingly sexist gender essentialist concepts of womanhood and femininity.

As a novel, it is thinly plotted, something like a Platonic Dialog or perhaps a book like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - the events mainly serve as a foil for various discussions of ideas and observations about people.

My .02, OMMV of course.

Wait 'til you get to The Praetorians.

Medusa
05-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Wait 'til you get to The Praetorians.
It’ll wait a while. Perhaps it’s telling I chose a nonfiction book on the fight for Manila in 1945 as the first palate cleanser. (Rampage, by James Scott).

Medusa
05-25-2020, 07:41 PM

This is a tough book to read, because the extensive, almost unbelievable cruelty of this campaign toward civilians is described in horrifying, sickening detail. Yet as time passes, the importance of books like these in helping us bear witness and remember becomes ever greater.

I wasn’t familiar with this campaign nor especially the legal aftermath. I felt pride as an American in learning of the vigor with which the Japanese Army commanding general was defended by Americans in his war crimes trial - not because I disagree with the verdict, but because it’s a measure of the greatness of our legal traditions at their best.

As a side note, General MacArthur, as one knows to expect if one studies history, comes off as gifted but arrogant in the extreme. Declaring Manila retaken before the fighting had even flared up fully was really something, even for him.

DDTSGM
05-25-2020, 07:52 PM
This is an old one, but have any of your read 'The Nightingale's Song' by Robert Timberg? Just finishing it, found it very hard to put down.

From wiki: It relates the military and political careers of five graduates of the United States Naval Academy, most of whom served during the Vietnam War in either the United States Navy or United States Marine Corps: John McCain, Bud McFarlane, Oliver North, John Poindexter, and Jim Webb.... The book examines how both the Annapolis and the Vietnam experiences shaped the different characters portrayed, and how it foreshadowed their political careers, and for some, their involvement in the Iran-Contra affair.

My son had it on his shelf and off-handedly asked if I'd read it. I feel foolish for not having read it a decade earlier.

DDTSGM
05-25-2020, 08:01 PM
Hoping this doesn't have to be about all serious, teach you something books.

I finished John Sandford's newest 'Masked Prey' just before I read 'The Nightingale's Song.' This is a Lucas Davenport novel, Virgil Flowers doesn't even make an appearance. Good read, as are all Sandford books, IMO. The only disturbing thing to me was the fact that Sandford has Davenport coming off somewhat sanctimonious about gun-control, which was surprising.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52192970-masked-prey

Bigguy
05-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Vampires of World War Two (https://www.amazon.com/Vampires-World-War-Stephen-Sanford-ebook/dp/B077R4Y3H1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vampires+of+World+War+Two&qid=1590519564&sr=8-1)
This a short story about a fictional classified operation by the British Government during WWII. Though fictional, it is amusingly plausible, reminding me of the next book I'll recommend.

Bigguy
05-26-2020, 02:07 PM
Operation Mincemeat. (https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Mincemeat-Ben-Macintyre-ebook/dp/B0036S49QE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GTXOZYSUIUSN&dchild=1&keywords=operation+mincemeat&qid=1590519592&sprefix=operation+mince%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-1)
This is the true story of a classified operation by British Intelligence to convince Hitler that the allied invasion would take place at Calais. I read this more that ten years ago, but the short story above reminded me of it.

Bigguy
05-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Soldiers of Freedom: The WWII Story of Patton's Panthers and the Edelweiss Pirates. (https://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Freedom-Pattons-Panthers-Edelweiss-ebook/dp/B0851KZLFP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Soldiers+of+Freedom%3A+The+WWII+Story+of+ Patton%E2%80%99s+Panthers+and+the+Edelweiss+Pirate s.&qid=1590521758&sr=8-1)

4 of 5 stars

Compelling and disturbing, this is a story of humanity in the face of inhumanity, equity in the face of bigotry, and courage in the face of cowardice.
I’m not familiar with either Patton’s Black Panthers or the Edelweiss Pirates, but the parts of the book I was knowledgeable about were accurately portrayed. I feel confident the others parts were also faithfully represented.
We start out with the racism and bigotry faced by Black Soldiers from their own troops and country. But we watch as they find their reason to fight, and develop the well deserved pride they feel over their service. Concurrently we watch as a 16-year-old girl can’t accept what her country is becoming nor the actions of so many of her countrymen. Disgust turns into resistance and eventually a fight for survival.
My only complaint is the author is so determined to get in so many technical details and minutia, that the action drags. Many times it comes off more as a history text rather than an action novel. While it is a bit of a long slog, it is worth the read. I recommend this book.

Bigghoss
05-27-2020, 06:03 AM
Under and alone: the true story of the undercover agent who infiltrated America's most violent motorcycle gang by William Queen

Just finished this book. Pretty interesting, I knocked it out in a couple days. The author was a special agent with the BATFE and went undercover in the Mongols motorcycle gang for over 2 years.

Stephanie B
05-28-2020, 04:14 PM
NYPD: A City and Its Police (https://amazon.com/NYPD-City-Police-James-Lardner/dp/080506737X) by James Lardner and Thomas Reppetto. It covers the history of the NYPD from its inception to the end of the 20th Century. Reppetto passed recently; I learned about the book when I read his obit (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/nyregion/thomas-reppetto-dead.html).

It's interesting, but it seems to lose a little steam after 1975.

Medusa
05-28-2020, 11:29 PM

I enjoyed it. For better or worse, I’m hooked on these now and will keep reading. Not quite as good as the first.

Medusa
06-01-2020, 07:50 PM

Reasonably tasty sci fi junk food snack which sometimes tries too hard, but you’d grab another one if offered.

peterb
06-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Any time there’s rioting, I think of Terry Pratchett’s “Night Watch”.

JDD
06-01-2020, 09:29 PM
A Memory Called Empire
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7BCB88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o08?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An interesting book, a bit less action than I usually go for in my Sci-fi, but refreshingly new enough and with a well ordered flow that I am looking forward to the sequel. (although my wife tells me the author poached a key plot mechanism from Star Trek)

The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HMJZAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o07?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good non-fiction about a lot of the pathways and patterns behind Chinese migration to the US. It's an older book, but relevant again.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFRJM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also good non-fiction. Very timely, and spurs those mental questions "what would I do when..."

Gideon the Ninth
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6HWLPR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o09?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sci-fantasty, a fun take on a locked room mystery, but really kinda hard to pin down by genre. I have already pre-ordered the sequel.

GearFondler
06-02-2020, 03:40 AM
JDD ... I recently listened to Gideon the Ninth and all I can say is that I'm very excited to continue the series. It was unlike anything I had read before and I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of it... Weird and quirky in all the best ways.

JDD
06-02-2020, 08:26 PM
JDD ... I recently listened to Gideon the Ninth and all I can say is that I'm very excited to continue the series. It was unlike anything I had read before and I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of it... Weird and quirky in all the best ways.

I picked it up on a friends recommendation, and you are right, just way out there, but in all the right ways. The only problem is Amazon's recommendation system does not really know what to make of it, because I can't ask for more that are weird like that one.

GearFondler
06-02-2020, 11:22 PM
I picked it up on a friends recommendation, and you are right, just way out there, but in all the right ways. The only problem is Amazon's recommendation system does not really know what to make of it, because I can't ask for more that are weird like that one.I know what you mean... Hopefully the next book will be released soon.
A quick bit of research looking for something similar suggested The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake (https://www.amazon.com/Gormenghast-Trilogy-Mervyn-Peake-ebook/dp/B07NHZVF5T/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Gormenghast+Trilogy&qid=1591655013&sr=8-1)... At least in the Weirdness and Rich Language departments. I was not familiar with these books but they look well worth investigating.

ccmdfd
06-04-2020, 11:58 AM
Just finished listening to Suzanne Collins', A Balad of Songbirds and Snakes (https://www.amazon.com/Ballad-Songbirds-Snakes-Hunger-Games/dp/1338635174/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=suzanne+collins%27%2C+a+ballad+of+songbir ds+and+snakes&qid=1591655061&sr=8-1), which is a prequel to the Hunger Games series.

She does a good job when writing about the actual games. Intense and suspenseful, especially given that it's children who are doing the killing.

Rest of the story kind of meh. More teen romance than HG, which is not my cup of tea. From an audio book standpoint, the singing did not come off well, and there was a lot of it, one of the lead characters is a singer in a band.

Also, I hate fan service, like recent Star Wars movies have.
For instance a group of people go to a pond, and sure enough one picks out a Katniss plant and talks about it.

The main point of the story though is following the future President Snow, in his teenage years. For 19 out of the 20 hours of the book he's likable, reasonable person. Then without a real good reason, he goes all evil.

Reminds me of how Danny's character was treated in Game of Thrones. Good until the last episode, then wtf?

Medusa
06-05-2020, 04:31 PM
Solid book, though brutal. Bosch’s genuine regard for and appreciation for women comes through, as does his refusal to accept easy answers regarding many social issues that remain pertinent today.
55435 (https://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Blonde-Harry-Bosch-Novel-ebook/dp/B000SGSU58/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Connelly+concrete+blonde&qid=1591655152&sr=8-1)

TheNewbie
06-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Here are a few reviews of books I have listened to lately. I have also included their audio length.

Grant by Ron Chernow:

An excellent book about one of the more important Americans. The book follows Grant throughout his life and paints a picture of a complicated man, who was basically a decent man who was gullible in his personal life, but a brilliant leader in war. The biography gives us an idea of what the world was like for people during his lifetime, shows that people are basically the same despite when the live, and gives as a larger than life character that many of us can relate to.

Around 48 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Grant-Ron-Chernow-audiobook/dp/B074F3SLTL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7YQJDY4UYMQQ&dchild=1&keywords=grant+ron+chernow&qid=1591480240&s=audible&sprefix=grant+ron%2Caudible%2C153&sr=1-1

Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

Another interesting read. This was recommended by Mike Vinning in the podcast I posted a few weeks ago. It tells the history of JSOC from their inception to the current day. Once again we learn that people are not all that different, even amongst the most elite and highly trained in the world. Overall I will say the book is very pro JSOC, but it is honest about the problems and shortcomings of it.

Around 20 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Relentless-Strike-Sean-Naylor-audiobook/dp/B013EVZ2AE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BQLWB742V0OL&dchild=1&keywords=relentless+strike&qid=1591480213&sprefix=relentless+st%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

Every Man a Hero by Ray Lambert and Jim DeFelice.

The story of an Army combat medic who landed in Africa, Sicily, and at Omaha Beach. Ray Lambert is the medic, and as far as I know it still alive. He is close to 100 years old. The book is not super detailed, but it tells the story of an “average joe” who went from growing up in the south and not finishing high school, to being a highly trained combat medic and saving lives in WW2. It’s told from the perspective of a humble man who did his duty. It goes well with other books about WW2 that are more detailed and strategy oriented.

Around 6-7 hours

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Man-Hero-Memoir-D-Day/dp/0062937480/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=everyman+a+hero&qid=1591480160&sr=8-1

Spearhead by Adam Makos

Tells the story of a tanker in WW2. The fight into Germany, and the reconnection with a German tanker from a very famous battle later in life. Videos of the battle are on youtube.

Around 13 hours

https://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-American-Gunner-Enemy-Collision/dp/0804176744/ref=sr_1_1?crid=126ZW8Q91NJRK&dchild=1&keywords=spearhead+adam+makos&qid=1591480198&sprefix=spear+head+adam+ma%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

JSGlock34
06-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Here are a few reviews of books I have listened to lately. I have also included their audio length.
Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

Another interesting read. This was recommended by Mike Vinning in the podcast I posted a few weeks ago. It tells the history of JSOC from their inception to the current day. Once again we learn that people are not all that different, even amongst the most elite and highly trained in the world. Overall I will say the book is very pro JSOC, but it is honest about the problems and shortcomings of it.

Around 20 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Relentless-Strike-Sean-Naylor-audiobook/dp/B013EVZ2AE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BQLWB742V0OL&dchild=1&keywords=relentless+strike&qid=1591480213&sprefix=relentless+st%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1

Naylor is a good author - I highly recommend Not a Good Day to Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda (https://www.amazon.com/Not-Good-Day-Die-Operation/dp/0425207870/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Sean+naylor&qid=1591484053&sr=8-2). I've since read several books that have added other voices and perspectives to the Anaconda story, but this remains the best single volume you can read on the subject.

FNFAN
06-07-2020, 06:21 PM
The only disturbing thing to me was the fact that Sandford has Davenport coming off somewhat sanctimonious about gun-control, which was surprising.

There's an underlying thread throughout the Prey series that's quasi anti-gun. Davenport is said to have been a competitive handgun shooter, has had several line of duty shoots and is leery of civilians in the 'gun culture.' He also has had problems with depression and in one book speaks of 'feeling' the guns in the basement safe "glowing." As in, the guns were calling to him.

He writes some decent shooting scenes, in his books he and his adoptive daughter go shooting and he teaches her how to handle handguns. The adoptive daughter ends up saving her Mom (a very liberal surgeon) and brothers through the use of one of his 1911's in another book. Probably a realistic tone for a multi-millionaire author in Minnesota.

Darth_Uno
06-08-2020, 01:32 PM
Just finished listening to Suzanne Collins', A Balad of Songbirds and Snakes, which is a prequel to the Hunger Games series.
/

The main point of the story though is following the future President Snow, in his teenage years. For 19 out of the 20 hours of the book he's likable, reasonable person. Then without a real good reason, he goes all evil.

He had a good enough reason, I thought. He seemed a decent sort until, without giving too much of the plot away, he was screwed by people he was trying to help. So he said to hell with all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotgun
06-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.

Stephanie B
06-08-2020, 05:04 PM
[
Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.

The latter book is free for e-readers (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17221).

"Rise of the Warrior Cop" by Rodney Balko. (https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas-ebook/dp/B00B3M3UFQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HWZ4Z01HC4MY&dchild=1&keywords=radley+balko&qid=1591654902&sprefix=Radlwy%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-1)

TheNewbie
06-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Still the Best Hope by Dennis Prager.

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Best-Hope-American-Triumph/dp/0061985139/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dennis+prager+last&qid=1591656357&sr=8-1

Explains the completing values in the world of Americanism, Leftism, Islamist. Excellent read written by a well informed and thoughtful man.

GNiner
06-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough. Documents the "revolutionary violence" in the 1970's. Said college student will have something to compare to current times.

Lon
06-08-2020, 07:45 PM
I really enjoy the Raiding Forces series by Phil Ward. Set in WW2 it follows an American Officer serving in the British Army as he sets up a Commando style unit and battles across France, Africa and the Mediterranean. One thing that bothered me about the early books was some of the technical issues regarding firearms. I emailed Phil w a couple errors I found and ended up helping edit the last 5 or 6 books (all volunteer). Entertaining historical fiction.

Free on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Those-Dare-Raiding-Forces-Book-ebook/dp/B008H75OPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=raiding+forces+series&qid=1591663505&sprefix=raiding+forces&sr=8-4

Medusa
06-09-2020, 03:11 PM

Shortened review - a worthy read for its candid and gritty description of a GWOT-era Marine platoon in urban combat. What comes through for me, as a student of military history, is the timeless decency and earnest good intentions of young marines, something that largely remains a constant no matter the era, and despite changes in weaponry (say, for example, the XM-1060 thermobaric 40 mm grenade) and mission. For the most part, the emotions in this book seem genuine and the fellowship and bonds between combat soldiers is another timeless facet of the book. Read it to honor these men, and those like them who serve, bravely, and go where they are told for reasons they are given.

Guerrero
06-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough. Documents the "revolutionary violence" in the 1970's. Said college student will have something to compare to current times.

There's an excellent article that goes with a review of this book:

https://status451.com/2017/01/20/days-of-rage/

blues
06-09-2020, 03:25 PM
There's an excellent article that goes with a review of this book:

https://status451.com/2017/01/20/days-of-rage/

I sorta remember those days. I was halfway through college in '72. I used to have a bunch of articles and newspaper images from stuff I saw back then but destroyed most all of it years ago.

Crazy time to be coming of age in America.

feudist
06-09-2020, 07:22 PM
I really enjoy the Raiding Forces series by Phil Ward. Set in WW2 it follows an American Officer serving in the British Army as he sets up a Commando style unit and battles across France, Africa and the Mediterranean. One thing that bothered me about the early books was some of the technical issues regarding firearms. I emailed Phil w a couple errors I found and ended up helping edit the last 5 or 6 books (all volunteer). Entertaining historical fiction.

Free on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Those-Dare-Raiding-Forces-Book-ebook/dp/B008H75OPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=raiding+forces+series&qid=1591663505&sprefix=raiding+forces&sr=8-4

These are great books.

The lion shooting was hilarious.

Lon
06-09-2020, 09:37 PM
These are great books.

The lion shooting was hilarious.

Waldo is one of my favorite characters.

holmes168
06-14-2020, 07:40 PM
Just completed and highly recommend this book on John D. Rockefeller. Did not realize how short of a time he spent as the head of Standard Oil- most of his life was spent on philanthropic pursuits. Chernow is one of my favorite authors- he gives very balanced picture of John D.

Stephanie B
06-16-2020, 08:47 AM
From Annapolis to Scapa Flow: The Autobiography of Edward L. Beach, Sr. (https://www.amazon.com/Annapolis-Scapa-Flow-Autobiography-Edward/dp/1557502986). Captain Beach graduated from Annapolis in 1888 and retired in 1923. It's an interesting look at the Navy in the final days of transitioning from sail to steam. It's in print only, so Kindle-drivers will be SOL.

His son edited the work and it was published sixty years after the author's death.

Half Moon
06-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Haven't really read them so not a recommendation, yet. Something cool that came up on Twitter though, the Association of the US Army is publishing graphic novels about Medal of Honor awardees. Skimming one on break the online version was unreadable but the .PDF download on the same page was good to go. All of them to date here:

https://www.ausa.org/medal-honor-graphic-novels

Coyotesfan97
06-30-2020, 10:14 PM
Haven't really read them so not a recommendation, yet. Something cool that came up on Twitter though, the Association of the US Army is publishing graphic novels about Medal of Honor awardees. Skimming one on break the online version was unreadable but the .PDF download on the same page was good to go. All of them to date here:

https://www.ausa.org/medal-honor-graphic-novels

That’s great! Thank you

ccmdfd
07-01-2020, 08:41 AM
I’ve been enjoying John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series.

https://www.johnconnollybooks.com/the-parker-series

Starts off with gritty detective style material, but as the series progresses it starts to get involved with the supernatural as well as some non-mainstream religious issues (fallen angels, pagan gods, etc).

Don’t know if Connolly is a gun enthusiast or not, but find his choices of firarms interesting. Parker starts the series with a S&W 1076. There’s a hitman who goes around with an arsenal in his trunk (and he’s good comic relief as a homoxexual, black, super-conservative republican).

cc

blues
07-01-2020, 09:12 AM
I’ve been enjoying John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series.

https://www.johnconnollybooks.com/the-parker-series

Starts off with gritty detective style material, but as the series progresses it starts to get involved with the supernatural as well as some non-mainstream religious issues (fallen angels, pagan gods, etc).

Don’t know if Connolly is a gun enthusiast or not, but find his choices of firarms interesting. Parker starts the series with a S&W 1076. There’s a hitman who goes around with an arsenal in his trunk (and he’s good comic relief as a homoxexual, black, super-conservative republican).

cc

Tried the series after reading positive reviews...but couldn't get into it.

peterb
07-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Just finished “Don’t Shoot” by David M. Kennedy, which was recommended to me by LE forum mod BBI.

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Fellowship-Violence-Inner-City/dp/1608194140

It describes a series of programs to reduce inner-city violence and improve community-police relations — how some worked amazingly well, and how some of them failed. Definitely relevant to today, because a lot of the issues covered are exactly what we’re hearing in the “defund the police” arguments.

Half Moon
07-07-2020, 12:07 PM
This came up in my Twitter feed today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/helios-house/the-childrens-illustrated-clausewitz

The Children's Illustrated Clausewitz

A modern interpretation of Clausewitz's seminal "On War" for children

Fitz Gerald expresses Clausewitz’s ideas through language accessible to a bright ten-year-old

Which just seems like outrageous pandering to our Marine brethren... :-P

Seriously though, I may have to kick in to this. It's probably a character defect , somehow, but I'm just tremendously amused by the idea :-)

blues
07-07-2020, 12:11 PM
^^^^This could get ugly. (Put away any sharp pencils crayons.) :p

blues
07-09-2020, 01:13 PM
25 to 30% in on Jake Tapper's book, "The Outpost" and it is a harrowing tale that hits you in the gut. So far he's done an excellent job telling the story of these brave young men, (and a few women), and it's all I can do to not let it put me in a funk.

As I said in another thread, I've already read MOH recipient Romesha's book, but this, (no disrespect intended), does more justice, imho, to just what these extraordinary souls endured and the sacrifices made.

Things can get a bit dusty if you're not careful.

NEPAKevin
07-09-2020, 01:40 PM
Just finished Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell, a lieutenant with the 10th Mountain Division, about his deployment to a FOB in Afghanistan in 2006. Includes a lot of his thoughts on being a leader, accounts of some really serious fights they were in, and heartbreaking stories about the toll the war has taken on the locals. Good read and was available on Kindle for less than $5 IIRC.

Not sure if this is the right place for it but, ... Sean Parnell is running for the congressional seat currently occupied by Conor Lamb and put out this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlIr-KbvZw

Coyotesfan97
07-15-2020, 03:28 PM
I just finished D.J. Butler’s new book In the Palace of Shadow and Joy. He writes the Witchy Eye series among others. I enjoyed it. It’s an epic fantasy set in the city of Kish. Indrajit and Fix are hired to protect Ilsa without Peer and the fun starts.

https://www.amazon.com/Palace-Shadow-Joy-D-Butler/dp/1982124709/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-nc-drs1_0?crid=2YIEW5NC89EZL&cv_ct_cx=in+the+palace+of+shadow+and+joy&dchild=1&keywords=in+the+palace+of+shadow+and+joy&pd_rd_i=1982124709&pd_rd_r=fe259385-1e35-4a5f-aeda-37c26c0c7553&pd_rd_w=jQUkt&pd_rd_wg=zVopL&pf_rd_p=43f4b3f0-0b04-46ba-8a08-2e851d035e17&pf_rd_r=0XNHZMY0VN469A7DQJWN&psc=1&qid=1594844289&sprefix=In+the+pal%2Caps%2C215&sr=1-1-f3947b35-9c59-4d7a-9603-b751e6eed25b

I’m giving a copy away in Karma.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43626-In-the-Palace-of-Shadow-and-Joy

Cory
07-23-2020, 05:43 PM
I just finished Legionnaire by Simon Murray.

It's a compilation or journal entries from an English guys 5 years in the French Foriegn Legion from 60 to 65. It held my attention incredibly well, and I found it hard to put down. At the end he talks about how that was decades ago, and some of the places he bumped into past commrades. That made me nearly tear up thinking about my own service and wondering where a few folks are today.

I recommend the book if you happen across it for a quarter as I did.

Half Moon
07-24-2020, 10:06 AM
For the last couple weeks the XVIII Airborne Corps has been publishing a “Twitter Novel” on the US Army’s evolution during the 50’s and 60’s. This finally wrapped up today. Overall, I’m going to call it a B Minus. It starts strong but somewhere around the middle it loses focus and the chapters become disjoint. Still a really interesting experiment in storytelling through new media. Since, even following the hash tag, the Twitter format leaves the chapters scattered to and fro here’s the links to each chapter thread:

#AtomicAgeArmy

Chapter One
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1282660922587254787

Chapter Two
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1282738557380157440

Chapter Three
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283016307970056192

Chapter Four
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283080688024072198

Chapter Five
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283375956552540160

Chapter Six
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283457584557686790

Chapter Seven
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283744456848678912

Chapter Eight
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1283866581035028480

Chapter Nine
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1284099127350001664

Chapter Ten
https://mobile.twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1284497625279090688

Chapter Eleven
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1284832612419280896

Chapter Twelve
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1285188836088217601

Chapter Thirteen
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1285555251467227137

Chapter Fourteen
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1285910718399877122

Chapter Fifteen
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1286281001572990977

Epilogue
https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1286648682138333184

Cheap Shot
07-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Hoping this doesn't have to be about all serious, teach you something books.

I finished John Sandford's newest 'Masked Prey' just before I read 'The Nightingale's Song.' This is a Lucas Davenport novel, Virgil Flowers doesn't even make an appearance. Good read, as are all Sandford books, IMO. The only disturbing thing to me was the fact that Sandford has Davenport coming off somewhat sanctimonious about gun-control, which was surprising.

Just finished Masked Prey. I've read most of Sanfords books. Great author, writer and crafts a great plot. He's always been two faced about gun ownership i.e. OK for me but not the peasants. It's really obvious and obnoxious in masked prey. I'd say it very much detracted from the story, but it seems like that was the story or at least integral to the story.

Not sure if I'll bother with any more of his writing. I'm wondering if he needs to retire.

Cheap Shot
07-25-2020, 09:44 PM

just finished this book about the Battle off Samar in the Leyte Gulf in October, 1944; the author calls it the greatest naval upset in history. It focuses on the men of Taffy 3 in destroyers, destroyer escorts, and escort carriers. It is simply outstanding and I can not recommend it highly enough. I bet your local library has it as did mine. If you enjoy military history, you’ll find this a great tale, well told, and all true.

Tough read for me. Had to put it down a couple times. I'm in awe of those sailors, and all who served during WWII. Highly recommend

feudist
07-26-2020, 11:20 PM
African Rifles and Cartridges by John "Pondoro" Taylor.

If you understand, you know.

If you don't...I'm sorry for you.

9.95 on Kindle

Stephanie B
07-27-2020, 04:35 PM

If you don’t know anything about cryptography, or how bitcoin works, then this is worth reading. If you know something about those subjects, it’s probably worth skimming over.

If you know a lot about that stuff, then you may want to give it a pass.

Half Moon
07-29-2020, 08:03 PM
Dystopian sci-fi story by Cory Doctorow with some all too plausible developments of IOT:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/unauthorized-bread-a-near-future-tale-of-refugees-and-sinister-iot-appliances/

Roped me in chapter by chapter and, at the end, left me wanting to know what happened next...

Coyotesfan97
07-30-2020, 04:48 AM
blues I just finished reading LA Confidential by James Ellroy. I love the movie. It’s definitely in my top 5 faves. I thought it was dark and cynical until I read the book. The book is very dark very cynical. Guess I’ve got to get the other three In the LA series now. Thanks Blues!

blues
07-30-2020, 07:40 AM
blues I just finished reading LA Confidential by James Ellroy. I love the movie. It’s definitely in my top 5 faves. I thought it was dark and cynical until I read the book. The book is very dark very cynical. Guess I’ve got to get the other three In the LA series now. Thanks Blues!

Coyotesfan97

Great to hear...and my pleasure. :cool: I hope you enjoy them.

Bigguy
07-30-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm excited about the cover of my next book. It was a custom job by a professional. The cover of my first book was one I purchased from one of those self publishing sites. Sort of generic, certainly not customized for my book. I did the rest of them myself, and it shows. This is the first time I've had a pro do a custom cover.
The pressure is on now to get it finished.

Warped Mindless
07-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Marcus Wynne has a series of novellas hes been releasing every few months. He has released three so far and all have been very good.

Not as good as "Wylde" but that book is amazing.

Coyotesfan97
08-04-2020, 05:28 PM
I just finished The Good Shepherd by CS Forrester which is the book the movie Greyhound is based on. I’ve read all the Hornblower series but I’ve never read any of his other novels. It’s very good and the movie is a very close adaptation. It’s recommended.

Tokarev
08-05-2020, 02:38 PM
The Last Stand of Fox Company: a True Story of US Marines in Combat. Pretty amazing what most of these old guys went through. Sort of put me on an M1 Carbine kick again after reading their story.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Jason F
08-05-2020, 02:55 PM
I just finished The Good Shepherd by CS Forrester which is the book the movie Greyhound is based on. I’ve read all the Hornblower series but I’ve never read any of his other novels. It’s very good and the movie is a very close adaptation. It’s recommended.

It's near to the top of my "To Read" list, I'm looking forward to it after seeing Greyhound. Also, if you liked the book & movie, Tom Hanks did an interesting interview with Dan Carlin on his podcast called Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: Addendum. It's episode #12, "Wolf Pack Hunting with Hanks" and it was a fun listen. link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dan-carlins-hardcore-history-addendum/id1326393257?i=1000483945010

Stephanie B
08-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the Atomic Bomb and the 116 Days That Changed the World by Chris Wallace (https://www.amazon.com/Countdown-1945-Extraordinary-Story-Changed/dp/1982143347)

The book opens with the death of FDR and runs through the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, with brief treatment of the bombing of Nakasaki and an epilogue and post-script. This is more of a human-interest book than a technical history. Even if you are very familiar with the story, you'll learn something about the people involved. It is not a tome, it's easy to read.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Seapower States: Maritime Culture, Continental Empires and the Conflict That Made the Modern World Paperback – March 17, 2020

History of states that became dominant for a bit based on seapower and how they had political systems that challenged more authoritarian land based empires. Led to more political freedom, philosophy, etc. Many failed over time. A dense book but interesting for the world history buff.

Stephanie B
08-18-2020, 09:26 AM
Revolver: Sam Colt and the Six-Shooter That Changed America by Jim Rasenberger (https://www.amazon.com/Revolver-Colt-Six-Shooter-Changed-America/dp/1501166387)

Mas reviewed the book on this blog (https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/lessons-from-colt-and-rasenberger/).

The book is far more a biography of Sam Colt than anything else. There is a lot about politics, Colt's bribery of politicians to extend his patent, exports, and how Colt's factories pushed forward making guns on a production-line basis. There's mention that it was Elisha K. Root who was the genius behind the ability to manufacture large quantities of guns.

What I disliked was the undercurrent of disapproval of guns by the author. He couldn't help himself from throwing in a reference to Sandy Hook because the AR-15 was derived from patents purchased by the Colt company. There is a compendium of massacres of Indians in which the common theme was that the troopers used Colt's revolvers.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Reading a series of Stuart Wood's latest Stone Barrington novels. They are fluff but relaxing. I do wish Stone would move off the Colt 380's when he goes out. He has bigger Sig 9mms. If you want a more compact gun, there are decent smaller 9mms. Also, how does Dino, the Chief of NYPD get off all the time to travel with Stone?

A touch to much of the rich, indulgent life, now that Stone is loaded but it's only mildly annoying. Just fluff when bored from the library.

The Boys graphic novels from which the TV show is based. As I said in the movie/tv, thread, the show is good the books stink.

Stephanie B
08-24-2020, 08:30 PM

If you don’t know why you’d have to search long and hard to find any Chinese who will shed a tear over the nuking of Japanese cities, this book will show you why that is so.

Stephanie B
08-24-2020, 08:31 PM

If you don’t know why you’d have to search long and hard to find any Chinese who will shed a tear over the nuking of Japanese cities, this book will show you why that is so.

Edited to add: It was right-side up when I selected it!

Glenn E. Meyer
08-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Stealth by Stuart Woods. I usually like Stone Barrington books as mindless fluff but this one was flat out stupid. Stone and Dino failed to use common sense or reasonable tactics at every turn. First time, I skipped to the end just to get it over with. The books after Stealth were ok though. Everyone can slip up.

Had a fair amount of stupid shotgun stuff in it.

Wondering Beard
08-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Edited to add: It was right-side up when I selected it!

Total thread drift.

When I read your sig line, it took a few minutes to place it. It was interesting seeing "flounder" grow in that role.

And Vir did live long enough to see it.

overton
08-25-2020, 02:39 PM
the authors of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grievance_studies_affair published their book on critical theories:

https://www.amazon.com/Cynical-Theories-Scholarship-Everything-Identity-ebook/dp/B08BGCM5QZ

Stephanie B
08-27-2020, 08:19 PM
I picked up an old copy of Dave Barry’s Only Travel Guide You’ll Ever Need. I’ve been reading a little bit at a time and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had forgotten that Miami’s official tourism slogan was “Maybe You Won’t Get Shot.”

DDTSGM
08-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Just finished Masked Prey. I've read most of Sanfords books. Great author, writer and crafts a great plot. He's always been two faced about gun ownership i.e. OK for me but not the peasants. It's really obvious and obnoxious in masked prey. I'd say it very much detracted from the story, but it seems like that was the story or at least integral to the story.

Not sure if I'll bother with any more of his writing. I'm wondering if he needs to retire.

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier, I'm back tracking looking for the title of a book I loaned my son.

It would have to get worse before I abandon ship. I've known officers and police administrators who felt that way.

peterb
08-27-2020, 09:23 PM
Finished “Gideon the Ninth”. Good fun. Now cranking through the Bosch series, nine books in. Also read and enjoyed “God’s Middle Finger” and “Other Minds” that were recommended here.

feudist
08-28-2020, 12:16 AM
For something completely different.

The Merkaba Rider. Weird west genre(Lovecraftian actually)

Picture...Clint Eastwood as a Jewish Essene Mystical...gunfighter.

He wears the curls and shawl decked out with scores of Solomonic talismans. He,uh, carries a Volcanic Arms pistol that is loaded with blessed bullets loaded

with salt to kill demons with.

So the Rider(that's all he's known as)leaves the brotherhood to fight for the North in the Civil War. When he comes back, he finds that his teacher and mentor went over to the

well, dark side.

The Rider gets voluntold to hunt him down and kill him.

Thereby hangs the tale. He hunts down the bad guy, which isn't hard because he leaves dead men and demon infested towns behind him, he slowly comes to realize that

his ex-mentor is involved in something waaay worse than Satanic practices. He is getting the band back together with The Old Ones.Dammit.

He actually visits the Adversary("I wish you wouldn't call me that") to get the bad, bad news.

Lucifer(chastened and insisting that he's now doing the Lord's work as the warden of Hell) gives him the scoop on what's up and sets him on the way to the ass end

of the back beyond.

That's the first 3 novels. I could go on...

Shumba
08-28-2020, 06:28 AM
One Bugle, No Drums by William Hopkins
Breakout by Martin Russ
The first book was written by the commander of a Roanoke, Virginia reserve unit recalled on short notice for the Chosin reservoir.
Some of those youngsters got their recruit training on board ship. They had no winter clothing.

Martin Russ served in Korea during the Chosin campaign and describes the larger conflict from both Marine Corps and Army experiences,
including the debacle of Task Force Faith. He speaks to the true villain in all this, the Army two star who ignored intel from the Corps that the Chicoms had 260000 men ready to strike if Dugout Doug advanced beyond the 38th parallel.

And the Marine Corps uses manuals to train Marines, not comic books, since good reading comprehension is required for enlistment.
S/F,
Shumba, former sergeant USMCR 1974-1977

Bio
08-28-2020, 06:57 AM
I recently finished the currently completed books of the "Chivalry" series (I think maybe one or two more arecplanned) by Christian Cameron. It follows William Gold, an English routier in France in the 100 years war, and later a mercenary in Italy. He is technically a historical character, as his name shows up in a few documents, but the series is obviously a work of fiction. The first book is "The Ill-Made Knight".

There's a few things I really liked about this series.

1.) The author knows what he's talking about. Hes a military veteran and a long time re-enactor, equestrian, and practitioner of European martial arts, so when the character discusses things like how armor fits or how much work is required to keep gear in good shape on campaign, it feels very true.

2.) The main moral struggle and area of character development is the morality of a warrior in a war. This is less about "is war moral?" and more about "what limitations should warriors have on their actions?" If you know anything about the 100 years war, you know it was truly awful, and his portrayal doesn't flinch from the events, it doesn't absolve the participants of their evil acts, but it also doesn't depend that the morality of the 2000s should be the morality of the 1300s. It threads a pretty good needle in this respect.

3.) The actions scenes are great.

Half Moon
08-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Finished “Gideon the Ninth”. Good fun. Now cranking through the Bosch series, nine books in. Also read and enjoyed “God’s Middle Finger” and “Other Minds” that were recommended here.

The sequel to Gideon, Harrow the Ninth (https://www.amazon.com/Harrow-Ninth-Locked-Tomb-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B07WYSGHC7/), has been out a couple weeks. About a hundred pages in so far. A little uneven but liking it so far. Not quite as good as Gideon to this point but 80% of the book left to go.

GearFondler
08-28-2020, 09:40 AM
The sequel to Gideon, Harrow the Ninth, has been out a couple weeks. About a hundred pages in so far. A little uneven but liking it so far. Not quite as good as Gideon to this point but 80% of the book left to go.It's a different book for sure but I still thoroughly enjoyed it in its own right... There's still a mystery to solve, many layers to the plot, and multiple unexpected surprises. Still weird as fuck in a good way and I can't wait for the finale.

Tokarev
08-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Anyone already mention "G Man" by Stephen Hunter (https://www.amazon.com/G-Man-Bob-Lee-Swagger-Book-ebook/dp/B01KGZVRBO/) yet? As is his usual, Hunter follows the shoot-em-up exploits of members of the Swagger Family. This time set in the gangster era and the early days of the FBI.

Some of Hunter's later books (I, Ripper and the JFK book) have been pretty lousy in my opinion. I'm glad to see him getting back to the style of books he does the best.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Baldanders
08-28-2020, 11:51 AM

After seeing quite a few mentions of this book here I started reading it a few days back. I'm about halfway through. A very educational read with lots of research and a nice lack of breathless sensationalism.

It reminds me much of the movie "The Baader-Meinhof Complex" which covers the more hardcorps German equivalent to the Weathermen.

I would love to see a TV miniseries based on it. Seeing 200 Weathermen being all sheepish around each other the morning after the first "revolutionary orgy" would be hilarious.

Dave Williams
08-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Marcus Wynne has a series of novellas hes been releasing every few months. He has released three so far and all have been very good.

Not as good as "Wylde" but that book is amazing.

I read these based on your recommendation. Thanks I enjoyed them.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-29-2020, 09:38 AM
The Order - a Gabriel Allon novel. Shenanigans at the Vatican.

The Fortress: The Siege of Przemysl and the Making of Europe's Bloodlands
by Alexander Watson | Feb 25, 2020

Horrible story of war and genocide in the eastern front of WWI.

Hambo
08-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Also read and enjoyed “God’s Middle Finger”

Check out Cities of Gold by Douglas Preston. It's a crazy horseback journey from Mexico into the US, with a lot of border and Mexican history. I'm also reading The General and the Jaguar, about Pershing and Villa.

Half Moon
08-30-2020, 02:22 PM
It's a different book for sure but I still thoroughly enjoyed it in its own right... There's still a mystery to solve, many layers to the plot, and multiple unexpected surprises. Still weird as fuck in a good way and I can't wait for the finale.

Finished Harrow this morning. About a third of the way in it really took off and burned strong till the end. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the final book.

Next up: The Tyrant Baru Cormorant. Another sequel out just out this month. The first book of the trilogy, The Traitor Baru Cormorant, was pretty good. The middle book, The Monster Baru Cormorant, was kind of mediocre. Hoping this redeems the series...

feudist
08-31-2020, 01:10 AM
I recently finished the currently completed books of the "Chivalry" series (I think maybe one or two more arecplanned) by Christian Cameron. It follows William Gold, an English routier in France in the 100 years war, and later a mercenary in Italy. He is technically a historical character, as his name shows up in a few documents, but the series is obviously a work of fiction. The first book is "The Ill-Made Knight".

There's a few things I really liked about this series.

1.) The author knows what he's talking about. Hes a military veteran and a long time re-enactor, equestrian, and practitioner of European martial arts, so when the character discusses things like how armor fits or how much work is required to keep gear in good shape on campaign, it feels very true.

2.) The main moral struggle and area of character development is the morality of a warrior in a war. This is less about "is war moral?" and more about "what limitations should warriors have on their actions?" If you know anything about the 100 years war, you know it was truly awful, and his portrayal doesn't flinch from the events, it doesn't absolve the participants of their evil acts, but it also doesn't depend that the morality of the 2000s should be the morality of the 1300s. It threads a pretty good needle in this respect.

3.) The actions scenes are great.

I read all of those and the Tom Swan series and love them.

In plate armor you can run through brambles at full speed.

Now I know.

BrassSlapper
08-31-2020, 01:37 AM
Just finished up reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan....Sometimes being a nerd isn't too terrible.

Coyotesfan97
09-01-2020, 02:14 AM
I read all of those and the Tom Swan series and love them.

In plate armor you can run through brambles at full speed.

Now I know.

I just bought Ill-Made Knight on Kindle for $3.99. I’m looking forward to reading it. Plus fuck autocorrect for making Ill I’ll:mad:

I just bought Larry Correia’s new book Destroyer of Worlds too.

Guerrero
09-01-2020, 11:42 AM
I've never read Cormac McCarthy. What would be a good first book?

Half Moon
09-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Depends on what you're looking for. Limited sample of four I've read: Easiest to read - No Country For Old Men; Best - Blood Meridian. Parody of his writing style here:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/cormac-mccarthys-the-quarantine

frank
09-01-2020, 12:01 PM

I'd recommend All The Pretty Horses as an intro - it's not the hard topics of Old Country, The Road, or Blood Meridian, but it's a beautifully written book.

blues
09-01-2020, 12:31 PM

I think Suttree (https://www.amazon.com/Suttree-Vintage-International-Cormac-McCarthy-ebook/dp/B003XT606S/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1598981281&sr=1-3) was the first one I read...so I have a fondness for that one.

I'd also highly recommend the "Border Trilogy" (https://www.amazon.com/Border-Trilogy-Crossing-Everymans-Library/dp/0375407936)

Blood Meridian (https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Meridian-Evening-Redness-International-ebook/dp/B003XT60E0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KGQ1N9P212P6&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy&qid=1598981325&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+%2Cdigital-text%2C186&sr=1-3) is another classic, or you can do The Road (https://www.amazon.com/Road-Vintage-International-Cormac-McCarthy-ebook/dp/B000OI0G1Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1KGQ1N9P212P6&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy&qid=1598981389&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+%2Cdigital-text%2C186&sr=1-5) or No Country for Old Men (https://www.amazon.com/Country-Old-Men-Vintage-International-ebook/dp/B000WJSB4Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3JC169LFH3SR&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy+no+country+for+old+men&qid=1598981433&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+mccarthy+no+%2Cdigital-text%2C187&sr=1-3).

Hell, read 'em all.

Actually, now I think of it, I started with the "Border Trilogy" after an online friend from the west coast came to visit and do a motorcycle trip down to the Keys. He brought me the first book as a gift. I was hooked after that.

NEPAKevin
09-01-2020, 12:48 PM
I’m reading A Savage War of Peace (Algeria 1954-1962), by Alistair Horne (https://amzn.to/2L36dcq), as a way to lean more about a war I’m not very familiar with and before I get to Larteguy’s Praetorians. It’s excellent thus far.

Amazon Kindle daily deal: We Dared to Win: The SAS in Rhodesia (https://www.amazon.com/We-Dared-Win-SAS-Rhodesia-ebook/dp/B07FKS6FC7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=We+Dared+to+Win%3A+The+SAS+in+Rhodesia&qid=1598982341&sr=8-1) $1.99 or free with Kindle Unlimited. Have not read as I just got it myself.

Stephanie B
09-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Amazon Kindle daily deal: We Dared to Win: The SAS in Rhodesia (https://www.amazon.com/We-Dared-Win-SAS-Rhodesia-ebook/dp/B07FKS6FC7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=We+Dared+to+Win%3A+The+SAS+in+Rhodesia&qid=1598982341&sr=8-1) $1.99 or free with Kindle Unlimited. Have not read as I just got it myself.

Medusa's link goes to a similarly titled book by Max Boot. This goes to the correct book (https://www.amazon.com/Savage-War-Peace-1954-1962-Classics/dp/1590172183).

Baldanders
09-01-2020, 01:12 PM
... I might as well recommend my favorite YA author as a kid: William Sleator.

The Green Futures of Tycho is an excellent exploration of the youthful question :"what I am going to be when I grow up?" Still effective for adults, IMO.

Interstellar Pig is just pure fun. Think Jumanji for an older audience (at least at the end of the book), with a SF board game that I SO wish was real at the center of the plot. It would make a great movie or miniseries. The protagonist reminds me of a Heinlein YA viewpoint character.

I recommend either for adults or younger folks who need a break from this year.

I tend to dislike YA novels with a sports focus(usually way too predictable), but I can vouch for the short stories "The Other Pin" and "Goin' Fishin'" in Chris Crutcher"s Athletic Shorts (a pun worthy of blues) as excellent, and a teacher who I respect tremendously vouches for the rest. "Pin" is heartwarming and realistic in the way it shows high school romance and culture. "Fishin'" is simply one of the best short stories I have read about mourning and the need for retribution, ever. "Adult," in the best sense of that word, perfect for anyone who is dealing with unresolved pain.

JAD
09-01-2020, 01:42 PM

I've read that and it's good. The definitive work for me is still Iris Chang's: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B005XQ973M&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_cuPtFb1EAS3E6

Baldanders
09-01-2020, 01:57 PM
https://www.westmorelandschool.org/cms/lib/NY01914042/Centricity/Domain/125/thepalacethief.pdf

I taught this novella to sophomores because it was part of the Engage NY curriculum we were using. I got my schedule switched last second, so I was reading it just a bit ahead of my students. I went from despising it to thinking it was amazing in the course of a few weeks.

The Palace Thief is a first-person memoir from a very dedicated teacher. The movie adaptation looks a bit like "Mr. Holland's Opus" or something--I haven't seen it. IMO, it's the antithesis to feel-good teacher stories, without demonizing the profession. If anyone actually reads it, I would appreciate it if you feel like PMing me with your impressions, however brief. It went over my students' heads and I felt like I was spoonfeeding them analysis. I'd love some adult feedback.

I'd be especially curious to see what willie has to say about it.

Stephanie B
09-01-2020, 05:05 PM
I've read that and it's good. The definitive work for me is still Iris Chang's: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B005XQ973M&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_cuPtFb1EAS3E6

I read that a few years ago. It is horrific.

When I was in high school, they showed a documentary about the Rape of Nanking that had movie footage of some of the atrocities.

Half Moon
09-01-2020, 07:04 PM
https://www.westmorelandschool.org/cms/lib/NY01914042/Centricity/Domain/125/thepalacethief.pdf

I taught this novella to sophomores because it was part of the Engage NY curriculum we were using. I got my schedule switched last second, so I was reading it just a bit ahead of my students. I went from despising it to thinking it was amazing in the course of a few weeks.

The Palace Thief is a first-person memoir from a very dedicated teacher. The movie adaptation looks a bit like "Mr. Holland's Opus" or something--I haven't seen it. IMO, it's the antithesis to feel-good teacher stories, without demonizing the profession. If anyone actually reads it, I would appreciate it if you feel like PMing me with your impressions, however brief. It went over my students' heads and I felt like I was spoonfeeding them analysis. I'd love some adult feedback.

Just read it. Style wise, it reminded me of something much older, which fits the theme of the narrator. Setting style to the side, it is one to make you think. It's obvious the flaws in Mr. Hundert's own character prevented him from molding his student's character in the way he yearned to. The key question though is to what extent a teacher can or should be responsible for molding a student's character. As the Senator tells him, it's his job to teach not to mold. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that but I'm also not sure where the line of responsibility should lie. One to think on.

Baldanders
09-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Just read it. Style wise, it reminded me of something much older, which fits the theme of the narrator. Setting style to the side, it is one to make you think. It's obvious the flaws in Mr. Hundert's own character prevented him from molding his student's character in the way he yearned to. The key question though is to what extent a teacher can or should be responsible for molding a student's character. As the Senator tells him, it's his job to teach not to mold. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that but I'm also not sure where the line of responsibility should lie. One to think on.

He certainly fails with the guy who almost becomes president. But did he ever have a chance?

I started to view him as an unreliable narrator at the point where the other teacher (who he thinks is his buddy) viciously pushes him aside to become department head. He seems utter clueless about how he is viewed by his co-workers.

I read an interview with the author, where he said the inspiration for the viewpoint character came from a former teacher of his who he ran into years later. The once private school teacher was now homeless on the street. Certainly puts an interesting twist on the story, to say the least.

It is "certainly one to make you think," no doubt!

Half Moon
09-01-2020, 10:03 PM
He certainly fails with the guy who almost becomes president. But did he ever have a chance?

I started to view him as an unreliable narrator at the point where the other teacher (who he thinks is his buddy) viciously pushes him aside to become department head. He seems utter clueless about how he is viewed by his co-workers.

I read an interview with the author, where he said the inspiration for the viewpoint character came from a former teacher of his who he ran into years later. The once private school teacher was now homeless on the street. Certainly puts an interesting twist on the story, to say the least.

It is "certainly one to make you think," no doubt!

Oh, definitely an unreliable narrator. I got that feel early in the story; though not a character trying to mislead the reader by intent, more a character whose ego has misled themselves. Which to some degree is all of us, though I think it's particularly pronounced in the narrator. How's the old Irish saying go?

There are three things a man is:

That which he thinks he is.
That which others think he is.
That which he really is.

Whether he had a chance with the Senator's kid or not, do we actually see him positively influence any of his adult students? The only influence stated really was a negative on the future Air Force officer. who he passed over unfairly for the contest. Even with the Senator's son, he never really tried to confront the situation. His combination of ego, passivety, desire to be liked, and deference to authority binds him to letting the situation flow around him, mostly, with exception of mildly rejecting the dishonesty by changing the boundaries of the three tests, but not so much as to rock the boat to real confrontation.

peterb
09-02-2020, 09:17 AM
"Skyfaring" by Mark Vanhoenacker. https://www.amazon.com/Skyfaring-Journey-Pilot-Vintage-Departures/dp/0804169713

Thoughts from a commercial pilot about his life as a commercial pilot -- what he sees, what he thinks, how it all works. Not highly technical and no "There I was , thought I was going to die". He writes well.

On seeing wildfires:

"The return legs of these flights often take place at night, when the smoke may not be visible but the flames themselves sometimes are. The intensity of the fire's brightness and color, distilled through distance, is then chilling and unforgettable, as the wattage of nearly everything else you see is dialed so sharply down. The brightness of such flames is like something from a forge, poured into tiny, molten, fingernail-shaped crescents along slopes that are themselves only shadows. It is as striking a sight as blood on snow."

Glenn E. Meyer
09-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Peace Talk - a Harry Dresden book. Glad I got this from the library. Basically a waste of time. It is just a bait and switch for the next book and a mess of Harry and his buddies' cliches. Stupid actions that would never happen if everyone just took a minute to talk to each other.

The idea of these supernatural wars occurring on a large scale and the normal human governments being completely oblivious to them is becoming stupid.

The character of Marcone is incredibly stupid. Not one of the supernatural actors has an IQ above rye bread.

Lester Polfus
09-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Peace Talk - a Harry Dresden book. Glad I got this from the library. Basically a waste of time. It is just a bait and switch for the next book and a mess of Harry and his buddies' cliches. Stupid actions that would never happen if everyone just took a minute to talk to each other.

The idea of these supernatural wars occurring on a large scale and the normal human governments being completely oblivious to them is becoming stupid.

The character of Marcone is incredibly stupid. Not one of the supernatural actors has an IQ above rye bread.

I was never a huge fan of that series, but I felt like it jumped the shark a while ago. He's taken quite a bit of time between books, and now he's competing with dozens of authors in the urban fantasy genre he invented, many of whom are offering a fresher take on the same old tropes.

willie
09-02-2020, 05:27 PM

I can hear all the whining about how boring this novella must be. I understand why it went over heads. I am showing my ignorance when I say the author had great pleasure as he mentally masturbated and wrote. Using references from the ancients the author name dropped as he called out identities once studied in the Great Classics. His theme was destiny and character. For me it is not clear who his audience is. Is this a book people buy to place on coffee tables? Did saying this convince some that all my taste is in my mouth? My sophomores were killing each other and fighting when one looked at the other. I would be dead now had I not turned around when a steel chair was flying through the air at my head. Maybe the book went over my head. The chair would not have.

Baldanders
09-03-2020, 09:28 AM
I can hear all the whining about how boring this novella must be. I understand why it went over heads. I am showing my ignorance when I say the author had great pleasure as he mentally masturbated and wrote. Using references from the ancients the author name dropped as he called out identities once studied in the Great Classics. His theme was destiny and character. For me it is not clear who his audience is. Is this a book people buy to place on coffee tables? Did saying this convince some that all my taste is in my mouth? My sophomores were killing each other and fighting when one looked at the other. I would be dead now had I not turned around when a steel chair was flying through the air at my head. Maybe the book went over my head. The chair would not have.

Thank you sir.

I saw it as a story where the narrator thought he was writing a story of destiny and character, but the author was writing a story about an ineffectual guy who writes a story to take a figurative dump on an infamous ex-student 'cause he's still pissy about being embarrassed by him.

peterb
09-04-2020, 06:44 AM
Just reread a couple of old favorite mysteries by Dick Francis. Francis was a successful English jockey before he started to write, and most of his plots involve horses or horse racing. The heros tend to be ordinary folks caught up in criminal events. Little or no gunplay. “Reflex” is one of his best.

Half Moon
09-04-2020, 04:12 PM
A new story story by one of my favorite authors:

https://uncannymagazine.com/article/metal-like-blood-in-the-dark/

A fairy tale masquerading as science fiction. Starts slow but ends strong.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Private Cathedral by James Lee Burke. (https://www.amazon.com/Private-Cathedral-Dave-Robicheaux-Novel-ebook/dp/B08286GQ5P/) Detective Dave - interesting tale of the corrupt denizens of his Iberia area. This book has a clear supernatural involvement. Dave has seen and hinted at spirits before, this one is clearer. Good read.

Bigguy
09-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Private Cathedral by James Lee Burke. Detective Dave - interesting tale of the corrupt denizens of his Iberia area. This book has a clear supernatural involvement. Dave has seen and hinted at spirits before, this one is clearer. Good read.

I've read a couple of his Robicheaux books. I enjoyed his descriptions.

J0hnny
09-08-2020, 09:51 PM
I think Suttree (https://www.amazon.com/Suttree-Vintage-International-Cormac-McCarthy-ebook/dp/B003XT606S/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1598981281&sr=1-3) was the first one I read...so I have a fondness for that one.

I'd also highly recommend the "Border Trilogy" (https://www.amazon.com/Border-Trilogy-Crossing-Everymans-Library/dp/0375407936)

Blood Meridian (https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Meridian-Evening-Redness-International-ebook/dp/B003XT60E0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KGQ1N9P212P6&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy&qid=1598981325&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+%2Cdigital-text%2C186&sr=1-3) is another classic, or you can do The Road (https://www.amazon.com/Road-Vintage-International-Cormac-McCarthy-ebook/dp/B000OI0G1Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1KGQ1N9P212P6&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy&qid=1598981389&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+%2Cdigital-text%2C186&sr=1-5) or No Country for Old Men (https://www.amazon.com/Country-Old-Men-Vintage-International-ebook/dp/B000WJSB4Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3JC169LFH3SR&dchild=1&keywords=cormac+mccarthy+no+country+for+old+men&qid=1598981433&s=digital-text&sprefix=cormac+mccarthy+no+%2Cdigital-text%2C187&sr=1-3).

Hell, read 'em all.

Actually, now I think of it, I started with the "Border Trilogy" after an online friend from the west coast came to visit and do a motorcycle trip down to the Keys. He brought me the first book as a gift. I was hooked after that.

Considered the greatest living American author. Recommend. Suttree is excellent. I started with The Road and then read everything by McCarthy, he ruined fiction for me.

blues
09-08-2020, 09:55 PM
Considered the greatest living American author. Recommend. Suttree is excellent. I started with The Road and then read everything by McCarthy, he ruined fiction for me.

Well, he's not the only author I admire, but I'm glad we share a very high opinion of his work. You have excellent taste. :cool:

LHS
09-09-2020, 02:03 AM

He's a phenomenal author, but I can't read any more of his stuff. It's just too relentlessly depressing. I started with No Country and it was beautifully written but dark. The Road was darker. I gave him one last chance with Blood Meridian and it was like the most beautifully crafted suicide machine.

Speaking of depressing, I just read "War to the Knife: Bleeding Kansas, 1854-1861" by Thomas Goodrich (https://www.amazon.com/War-Knife-Bleeding-1854-1861-Stackpole-ebook/dp/B07N35Q57J/). It's rather unsettling to see how many parallels that time and place had with our own.

blues
09-09-2020, 07:56 AM
He's a phenomenal author, but I can't read any more of his stuff. It's just too relentlessly depressing. I started with No Country and it was beautifully written but dark. The Road was darker. I gave him one last chance with Blood Meridian and it was like the most beautifully crafted suicide machine.

Speaking of depressing, I just read "War to the Knife: Bleeding Kansas, 1854-1861" by Thomas Goodrich. It's rather unsettling to see how many parallels that time and place had with our own.

You owe it to yourself to read the "Border Trilogy". Like life itself...it's beautiful, it's sad, it's full of pathos. It's a great journey.

J0hnny
09-09-2020, 09:23 AM
You owe it to yourself to read the "Border Trilogy". Like life itself...it's beautiful, it's sad, it's full of pathos. It's a great journey.

If I could have one book on a desert island...

https://www.amazon.com/Border-Trilogy-Crossing-Everymans-Library/dp/0375407936/

His early work is pretty dark and I could have skipped those (Child of God & Outer Dark). Blood Meridian is fantastic though.

Stephanie B
09-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Private Cathedral by James Lee Burke. Detective Dave - interesting tale of the corrupt denizens of his Iberia area. This book has a clear supernatural involvement. Dave has seen and hinted at spirits before, this one is clearer. Good read.

I couldn't get past about page 80-90 before I returned it to the library. The writing felt bloated.

Bigguy
09-09-2020, 08:14 PM
I couldn't get past about page 80-90 before I returned it to the library. The writing felt bloated.
As a writer, I'm sure you have struggled with that as I have. You want to paint a complex and interesting world. Including "color" makes the canvas on which you are painting your tale more interesting. Burke does a good job, but often goes over the top. I don't need to know about the mold stains on the wall behind the door.
Having said that, if you've read the reviews, there are readers who like exactly that.

feudist
09-09-2020, 11:14 PM

Speaking of depressing, I just read "War to the Knife: Bleeding Kansas, 1854-1861" by Thomas Goodrich. It's rather unsettling to see how many parallels that time and place had with our own.

If you want to drill down further into the Bleeding Kansas era, try Inside War by Fellman (https://www.amazon.com/Inside-War-Guerrilla-Conflict-Missouri-ebook/dp/B004SL4KC6/).

Lots of primary sources.

One of the worst, if not the worst, periods in U.S. history.

And yes, we are seeing people doing their best to reenact it.

Dave Williams
09-10-2020, 06:34 PM

I read this based on your recommendation and enjoyed it thanks.

Half Moon
09-10-2020, 06:57 PM
I read this based on your recommendation and enjoyed it thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it! She writes under both Ursula Vernon and T. Kingfisher. Some more of her story stories here:

http://www.redwombatstudio.com/portfolio/writing/short-stories/

Jackalope Wives (https://www.amazon.com/Jackalope-Wives-Other-Stories-Kingfisher-ebook/dp/B071946RLN/) got a ton of awards a few years back and The Tomato Thief and Pocosin were huge standouts to me as well. Really need to read some of her novels but until recently those were Kindle / e-reader only and I have stuck with dead trees for books.

Stephanie B
09-10-2020, 08:21 PM

That was excellent!

Dave Williams
09-11-2020, 08:12 AM
That was excellent!

Any idea why the bad guy was constantly referred to as "they"? Was that some type of gender neutral thing?

Stephanie B
09-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Any idea why the bad guy was constantly referred to as "they"? Was that some type of gender neutral thing?

No idea. Do machines have a gender?

Wondering Beard
09-11-2020, 09:53 AM
No idea. Do machines have a gender?

In romance languages they do.

Bigguy
09-13-2020, 09:41 AM

Interesting.

Bigguy
09-13-2020, 09:54 AM
I'm about half way through "Multiple Attackers: Your Guide to Recognition, Avoidance, and Survival" by Marc MacYoung (https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Attackers-recognition-avoidance-survival-ebook/dp/B08GRZBDZJ/).

It's been a real eye opener for me. It's available on ebook only and has extensive links to videos that illustrate points he is making. I'd seen it recommended either here, or on another forum.

Having spent 30 years in IT, I really had a different mindset from what I needed as a Correction's Officer, and now as a Security Officer. Some of the things I was told in the ridiculously short "training" I had at the jail, and by other COs makes a lot more sense now. It's a wonder I didn't get my head bashed in during my short tenure as a CO. I think I knew instinctively that I was in danger, I just couldn't articulate it. Reading this book is like have a light turned on in a room. I'm now seeing those things I was stumbling into in the dark.

Half Moon
09-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Wife grew up in Oregon and still has most of her family there. She's following the fires pretty closely. She just mentioned firefighters are getting ready to make a stand at Butte Falls with 500 firefighters being dispatched and Air Attack on its way. All of which reminded me of this:

Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire by Murry A Taylor

https://www.amazon.com/Jumping-Fire-Smokejumpers-Fighting-Wildfire/dp/0156013975

Taylor was the oldest smokejumper active or ever when he retired after 35 years fighting fire. It's been 20 years since I read it but remember it being excellent. May need to add it to the stack for a reread.

feudist
09-13-2020, 11:35 PM
Wife grew up in Oregon and still has most of her family there. She's following the fires pretty closely. She just mentioned firefighters are getting ready to make a stand at Butte Falls with 500 firefighters being dispatched and Air Attack on its way. All of which reminded me of this:

Jumping Fire: A Smokejumper's Memoir of Fighting Wildfire by Murry A Taylor

https://www.amazon.com/Jumping-Fire-Smokejumpers-Fighting-Wildfire/dp/0156013975

Taylor was the oldest smokejumper active or ever when he retired after 35 years fighting fire. It's been 20 years since I read it but remember it being excellent. May need to add it to the stack for a reread.

That sounds dire.

Half Moon
09-14-2020, 07:06 AM
That sounds dire.

Very. I'm assuming Butte Falls makes a good staging area and is positioned right for containment. Though I'm guessing and don't know. The town itself is a flyspeck and at those levels, there will be more firefighters than the town has residents. Quote from one of the firefighters, relayed via my wife: "the cavalry is coming".

The wife has family and friends all over the state. Her Facebook has been blown up with photos and stories. Multiple friends evacuated. At least one family lost their home. Wife was assembling a care package, last night, of clothes to send them.

I've lived in Oregon twice, totaling about 12 years, and there is a fire season. In Southern Oregon you'd see the crews and aircraft around almost every year. This year though is especially bad all down the west coast. 2020, go figure.

Baldanders
09-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Blindsight by Peter Watts

https://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

There are a few different ways to read/download it at the link.

Only free because the author got in a fight with his publisher and wanted folks to read it.

Take Rendezvous with Rama (https://www.amazon.com/Rendezvous-Rama-Arthur-C-Clarke-ebook/dp/B07XD75HGV/) and add a thick overlay of cyberpunk posthumanism and the general tone of Stephen King , and you might end up with this novel.

God knows "Rama" didn't spout obscenities, though, but the self-named "Rorschach" does here...eventually...this novel builds dread in the reader bit by bit.

So chock full of ideas, it almost bursts. E.g. evidently, vampires were a human subspecies in the distant past, and they have been genetically recreated because of their hyper-intelligence. And one is the captain of the ship sent to deal with the extraterrestrials.

I loved it, but I would suggest some background on "p-Zombies" and/or "The Chinese Room" thought experiment might be helpful in understanding it, if you aren't up to speed on current arguments about consciousness. A decent knowledge of basic neurobiology would also help. And game theory, for one section.

Other than that, intellectually easy-peasy.😁 Not uplifting in the slightest, however.

I plan to send a few bucks to the author for his emergency kitty care fund. And I will pay for the sequel, Echopraxia.

Half Moon
09-15-2020, 10:12 PM

Only free because the author got in a fight with his publisher and wanted folks to read it.

Take Rendezvous with Rama and add a thick overlay of cyberpunk posthumanism and the general tone of Stephen King , and you might end up with this novel.

God knows "Rama" didn't spout obscenities, though, but the self-named "Rorschach" does here...eventually...this novel builds dread in the reader bit by bit.

So chock full of ideas, it almost bursts. E.g. evidently, vampires were a human subspecies in the distant past, and they have been genetically recreated because of their hyper-intelligence. And one is the captain of the ship sent to deal with the extraterrestrials.

I loved it, but I would suggest some background on "p-Zombies" and/or "The Chinese Room" thought experiment might be helpful in understanding it, if you aren't up to speed on current arguments about consciousness. A decent knowledge of basic neurobiology would also help. And game theory, for one section.

Other than that, intellectually easy-peasy.😁 Not uplifting in the slightest, however.

I plan to send a few bucks to the author for his emergency kitty care fund. And I will pay for the sequel, Echopraxia.

I'll have to check it out. I've got mixed feelings on Watts overall though. Not uplifting understates the unremittingly depressing nature of much of his work. I really like his retelling of The Thing though:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

feudist
09-16-2020, 12:26 AM

Take Rendezvous with Rama and add a thick overlay of cyberpunk posthumanism and the general tone of Stephen King , and you might end up with this novel.

I loved Blindsight.

The Neolithic vampires were fascinating and deeply frightening.

"Dread" is exactly the word. The utter isolation of the crew, the slow reveal of the opaque aliens and the rather horrifying psychological effects of hard radiation exposure

was one of the creepier reads ever.

Watts is no feel good author by any stretch.

Baldanders
09-16-2020, 10:45 AM
I loved Blindsight.

The Neolithic vampires were fascinating and deeply frightening.

"Dread" is exactly the word. The utter isolation of the crew, the slow reveal of the opaque aliens and the rather horrifying psychological effects of hard radiation exposure

was one of the creepier reads ever.

Watts is no feel good author by any stretch.

Looks like I will be getting a bulk dose of depressing:

https://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

I feel dumb for not linking the page that has his first series of novels as well as Blindsight. Also about two dozen short stories.

"Bulk Food" is some grim black comedy. "What if we could talk to the killer whales?" The answer: we'd cut deals...

"The Colonel" features the father of the protagonist of Blindsight. He's tasked with fighting illegal hive minds. Nice take on imagining the mentality of fighting an enemy that is certainly smarter than normal humanity.

Baldanders
09-16-2020, 10:56 AM
I'll have to check it out. I've got mixed feelings on Watts overall though. Not uplifting understates the unremittingly depressing nature of much of his work. I really like his retelling of The Thing though:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

I looked at the first bit of that before bed last night. Looks good! Watts does a great job of portraying an alien viewpoint.

I'm one of those folks who often sees not a half empty or half full glass, but one where the absence of water calls to mind the utter lack of meaning and ultimate futility of the universe, so I'm pretty down with Watts's tone. 🙀

feudist
09-16-2020, 01:40 PM
I looked at the first bit of that before bed last night. Looks good! Watts does a great job of portraying an alien viewpoint.

I'm one of those folks who often sees not a half empty or half full glass, but one where the absence of water calls to mind the utter lack of meaning and ultimate futility of the universe, so I'm pretty down with Watts's tone. 🙀

Have you read the Starfish series?

Bio
09-16-2020, 06:39 PM
Since we're talking sci-fi, is anyone familiar with Alestair Reynolds stuff?

Bigguy
09-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Multiple Attackers
5/5

I saw this recommended eithere here, or on the TCL forum. Glad I checked it out. Especially relevant in today. It's recent enough to mention Portland and Seattle.

-———————————————————————————————————————

This book has been an eye opener. I started my career as a Corrections Officer with almost no legitimate training. I then became a Security Officer after a 3 day course. Reading this book I look back all the mistakes I made and warning signs I missed. I’m lucky to not be injured or dead. I wish I’d had this book early in my career.
It’s one I will keep and re-read to allow the lessons to sink in. It is available in e-book only, because of the extensive video links. But those links are invaluable as they illustrate the principals MacYoung is explaining with real world examples.
This book has likely saved lives. I give it my highest recommendation.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2020, 09:53 AM

I bought it on Kindle (it's $2.50 now (https://www.amazon.com/Blindsight-Peter-Watts-ebook/dp/B08FYNNFB3/)) a long time ago, solid read, very good sci-fi.