Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Toyota RAV4 and 4Runner

I have a 2009 RAV4 that has been excellent. Gas, oil and tires are all it has needed. Just over 90K on the odometer. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, then buy it some new wheels.

My sister had a 2000 RAV4. She gave it to my nephew, who still drives it with almost 300K on the clock. No repairs at all for it.

I have the 4-cylinder, and it's quite peppy. I have no trouble at all spinning the tires when cornering with it, it has plenty of speed and torque. i like the fact that it's prettty much ingnito, but will move down the road when required. I also have no problem at all carrying gear to the range or class.

I was going to buy an FJ Cruiser or a 4Runner, but went with the better gas mileage and better ratings on reliability at the time.

I think LL's wife has a RAV4.

Hollar at me if I can be of any further assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I love a 4Runner, Tacoma, iPhone and the PF mods.
    Name:  989c6688900fa65921a5bf47b086062f7bdcf28ad22bb6c7bb6336028b21e182.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  26.5 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yup, one of the rare ones that Toyota slapped the Highlander V6 into. 0-60 in the low 6s. My brother calls it "the MILF rocket"

Great little vehicle. They don't offer the current generation with a V6.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a 2009 RAV4 that has been excellent. Gas, oil and tires are all it has needed. Just over 90K on the odometer. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, then buy it some new wheels.

My sister had a 2000 RAV4. She gave it to my nephew, who still drives it with almost 300K on the clock. No repairs at all for it.

I have the 4-cylinder, and it's quite peppy. I have no trouble at all spinning the tires when cornering with it, it has plenty of speed and torque. i like the fact that it's prettty much ingnito, but will move down the road when required. I also have no problem at all carrying gear to the range or class.

I was going to buy an FJ Cruiser or a 4Runner, but went with the better gas mileage and better ratings on reliability at the time.

Hollar at me if I can be of any further assistance.
    This is encouraging, thank you. One of the big things I want here is to get something more dependable and less prone to aggravating little "issues" like what I'm used to dealing with from GM.....

Pre-PFestivus Prophylaxis much?
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Name:  989c6688900fa65921a5bf47b086062f7bdcf28ad22bb6c7bb6336028b21e182.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  26.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Pre-PFestivus Prophylaxis much?
    Hey, pick any three of the four.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The RAV 4 is a great vehicle, however, the 4 runner is going to be the more rugged, better off-road vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I have a 2016 4Runner limited. It is a great vehicle! It is my 4th 4Runner since 1987. Along the way I also had a crew cab Tacoma and an FJ cruiser. The FJ went for a mechanical defect and Toyota replaced it for me with a Tundra Limited. It was awesome but too big for my needs. That took me the the 4tunner that I have now. If you are looking for a body on frame SUV that is capable off road, in the snow or in town the 4Runner is the one to beat. It's a get what you pay for price though but not too bad. Look hard at the SR5 package. Make sure it has the manual differential lock out. I have a limited with all the gingerbread because it was a screaming in stock deal. Otherwise I would have an SR5.
    How did you like the FJ Cruiser?

It, a 4Runner or a Subaru are my current short list for year's end if I get the promotion I'm up for.

I'll probably end up with a Subaru, just because I have a visceral hatred of automatic transmission; but I really like both of those Toyota models.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    My 4runner is 20 years old and I will probably keep it until it rusts out from under me.

I would rate its current rustiness as 1/10.

Will not be remotely surprised if I one day roll the odometer over.

To be fair, at the 200,000 mile mark, I did have to do some work: plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, the belts including the timing belt which includes a water pump, idler, and a bunch of other stuff; new exhaust from the cat back, fluids, new rear shocks and a few other things.

On the other hand, I hadn't done any maintenance since 100,000 miles. And it's a tow vehicle for a 5000 lb boat, and it hauls that boat and trailer up saltwater ramps.

And it gets offroaded a bit.

Much older and more primitive than anything you'd be interested in but I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    My 4runner is 20 years old and I will probably keep it until it rusts out from under me.

I would rate its current rustiness as 1/10.

Will not be remotely surprised if I one day roll the odometer over.

To be fair, at the 200,000 mile mark, I did have to do some work: plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, the belts including the timing belt which includes a water pump, idler, and a bunch of other stuff; new exhaust from the cat back, fluids, new rear shocks and a few other things.

On the other hand, I hadn't done any maintenance since 100,000 miles. And it's a tow vehicle for a 5000 lb boat, and it hauls that boat and trailer up saltwater ramps.

And it gets offroaded a bit.

Much older and more primitive than anything you'd be interested in but I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mine is 20yo as well and my experience and expectation is much the same (minus the towing).

Last fall, I hit a largish deer at 60mph while driving to deer camp one night (really!). It trashed the bumper and did some minor damage to the fender, but I was able to bend the bumper away from the tire and keep on trucking. I have an Addicted Offroad tube bumper on order and hope to have it installed before deer camp this year.

Misanthropist, as you've probably discovered, the factory brakes are undersized for the 3rd gen 4Runner. You can install the larger calipers and thicker rotors for the Tundra on these SUVs. There are two versions, one is a direct bolt on that fits any 3rd Gen with 16" wheels, the other is slightly larger and requires different wheels. I did the former and no longer suffer the heartbreak of warped rotors. The only drawback is the larger calipers now require more pedal movement to actuate the brakes. It was disconcerting at first, but once you get used to it, it's ok. Braking performance and modulation is better. By installing a larger master cylinder (via adapters) from a bigger truck (Chevy half ton or larger for example), I can decrease the movement, but also at the expense of modulation. I'm keeping the factory master cylinder for now.

Doing the wheel cylinders and rotors only, assuming you can do it yourself, costs about $200. It took me about a day (I split the job over two days as this isn't my daily driver).

Chris

User Tag List