Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G19gen4 v. G19gen4 MOS

G19gen4 v. G19gen4 MOS

I'm considering picking up a Glock 19 Gen4 for an upgrade to my EDC. This is fairly straightforward, however I am also interested in pistol mounted red dots.

I can purchase a Glock 19 MOS for $60 more than the standard Glock 19. While this would be a no-brainer, I have read that the MOS system mounts the RMR or similar too high to use suppressor height sights. As such, I am tempted to just buy the Glock 19 and have it milled at a later date. It looks like the best price I've found for milling is $145 not including suppressor height sight installation. I could also run a dot as a trial on a MOS gun and then if I decide to stick with it, still mill it later.

Either gun will get new sights post-haste. Probably Ameriglo or possibly Trijicon HDs.

Basically this is a question of front some extra money now for what appears to be an 80% solution to try it out, or spend more money later for a more committed solution.

Thoughts?

I'd pick up a slide from Gunbroker and have it milled. If you don't like it, it'd be easy to sell and you'd be left with a perfectly fine G19.

I purchased the MOS and ran it for awhile before moving on. It worked well with no issues.

I was reluctant to shell out the money for milling initially due to upfront cost and not knowing if I'd see any appreciable difference.

IME you will never recover all the costs of aftermarket work if you go to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MedServ60Driver View Post
    I'm considering picking up a Glock 19 Gen4 for an upgrade to my EDC. This is fairly straightforward, however I am also interested in pistol mounted red dots.

I can purchase a Glock 19 MOS for $60 more than the standard Glock 19. While this would be a no-brainer, I have read that the MOS system mounts the RMR or similar too high to use suppressor height sights. As such, I am tempted to just buy the Glock 19 and have it milled at a later date. It looks like the best price I've found for milling is $145 not including suppressor height sight installation. I could also run a dot as a trial on a MOS gun and then if I decide to stick with it, still mill it later.

Either gun will get new sights post-haste. Probably Ameriglo or possibly Trijicon HDs.

Basically this is a question of front some extra money now for what appears to be an 80% solution to try it out, or spend more money later for a more committed solution.

Thoughts?
    Milling is the most secure method for carry and provides the best support for the optic but you are locked into that particular optic's footprint. Are set on a particular optic ?

FYI Dawson makes BUIS specifically for the MOS models. They are available in two heights, both taller than standard suppressor height. One for RMR type optics and an even taller one for C-mores and Delta Points.

The advantage to the MOS is you are not married to a particular optic. With the new Aimpoint coming "soon" and the new shield optic from the UK flexibility might be good. The 19 MOS is now officially in use by SOCOM as the Mk 27: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....9-MOS-now-Mk27

http://nsn-now.com/1005016581930

STANDARD GENERATION IV G19 MK27 9MM PISTOL WITH MODULAR OPTICS SYSTEM INSTALLED ON THE WEAPON. STANDARD 5.5 POUND TRIGGER PULL, BARREL THREAD PATTERN M13.5X1LH, HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINE CAPABLE. INCLUDES: QTY OF 6, 15 ROUND MAGAZINES, MAGAZINE LOADER, CLEANING ROD, NYLON BORE BRUSH, AND PISTOL CASE*); H9D/SOCOM LOGISTICS HELP DESK: CML (859) 293-3114; DSN: 745-3114; TOLL FREE: 888-745-3114;
    Another option is buy a regular Glock 19 and have it cut for the Unity Tactical ATOM modular mounting system by L&M. It is superior to the MOS system.

If you choose to have a gun cut, details matter so I would recommend ATEI or L&M.

My experience:

I bought a G19 MOS. I bought a Trijicon RM07 RMR. I bought Trijicon supressor height night sights. I bought the Trijicon plate/screw pack.

Everything worked fine. Except shooting at speed. I found that my slow fire accuracy was way more consistent (and accurate), but shooting at speed (let alone multiple targets) was way worse than irons. Why? The RDS moves!

If you already have trigger time with a RDS pistol and *know* this is what you want to do, then go for it. If you don't have any experience then try to get some before you buy anything. Or at least have a reasonable expectation for what you will gain from having a RDS pistol.

What do you mean by the "RMR moves?"
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This ^^^. I have a 17 MOS with a Delta point and the RDS does not move.

I've personally found that I'm more accurate and faster at initial sight alignment with iron sights, but it's definitely easier to clearly focus on the targets and track the red dot while firing. I've also noticed that the dot shows my one handed tremble more than iron sights, which distracts me even when shooting at targets within 7 yards. Even though I use optics on my long guns, the red dot on a pistol hasn't been as easy to use as I thought even with daily dry firing. I'm also not as confident in the durability of the MOS quite yet, and I am planning on reverting back to an iron sight Glock 19 to compare. Perhaps in a future generation of red dot pistols where they're more integrated and secure I'll try again.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The RMR is mounted to the slide. The slide reciprocates when fired, hence "it moves".

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^. I have a 17 MOS with a Delta point and the RDS does not move.

If your Delta Point is mounted to the slide, it moves.

User Tag List