Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which AR upper for deer hunting

Site Supporter
    I have 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC uppers - like them both. If forced to pick one I would go 6.5 Grendel with 18 or 20 inch barrel and Hornady 123 SST ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Not familiar with PA hunting regulations,
    Last I heard -- which was a few years ago -- PA was shotgun or flintlock rifle only...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

no there are several locations that are shotgun only i.e. near Pittsburgh. But most of the state you can use center fire rifles.We do however have a flintlock only season which starts day after Christmas and runs about a month. if i get a chance i will post a few pictures of my sparklers.

Another vote for a 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel here.

I have a 12.5" 6.8SPC that lays a relatively large smackdown on hogs 200yards and in with Hornady 120SST ammo. Wouldn't be afraid to shoot a deer with it based on its performance on hogs.

However, if I took more 300 yard than 0-200 yard shots, I'd be using a Grendel instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't there been some B&C record deer taken in PA? I think I would go 6.5 or 6.8, and I would choose by 1) comparing online ammo price & availability and 2) Walking into my local gun shop, Target/Walmart, and/or sporting goods stores and seeing what's on the shelf.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As someone who hasn't been deer hunting in 17 years and who resides in a state where black rifles still carry a bunch of stigma - just how much inroad has the AR platform made in the medium game hunting scene?
    Optimists study English; pessimists study Chinese; and realists learn to use a Kalashnikov.

Every situation is different, but in the woods of Mississippi my 11 year old took his first 2 deer with a .223 last fall. He has not shot a lot and I didn't want him intimidated by recoil so I went with the .223/5.56. I was nervous about it being too small for deer, but both were 1 shot kills that dropped where they stood.

I am building a .300 BO and will try it on our smallish deer when I can.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who hasn't been deer hunting in 17 years and who resides in a state where black rifles still carry a bunch of stigma - just how much inroad has the AR platform made in the medium game hunting scene?
    I hunted and harvested an antelope in Wyoming last year with my 20 inch 6.5 Grendel. If you check the 6.8 and 6.5G forums, they are full of hunting stories. Lots of 6.8SPC stories about hog hunting and closer range deer hunting while the 6.5G stories seem to be oriented towards 200+ yard hunting.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I hunted and harvested an antelope in Wyoming last year with my 20 inch 6.5 Grendel. If you check the 6.8 and 6.5G forums, they are full of hunting stories. Lots of 6.8SPC stories about hog hunting and closer range deer hunting while the 6.5G stories seem to be oriented towards 200+ yard hunting.
    Does Wyoming still have the .24 or bigger caliber rule? As I recall from my hunting days there that .223 was verboten.
    Optimists study English; pessimists study Chinese; and realists learn to use a Kalashnikov.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I am not a hunter so take this for what it is worth, but in Arkansas during the 1990's, SKS carbines we're becoming very popular hunting rifles. While not quite an AR, they are a lot closer to being a modern sporting rifle than a traditional hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List