Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA deletes flat-footed reload rule, wants feedback on new division

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I wonder if this is catering to the members or sponsors who happen to sell a RDS ready gun? Either way it would be a major step forward for an organization I have been critical of. The willingness to improve is a start, worrying about the right improvements can happen a little later.
    I'm just trying to not get too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The vast majority of IDPA's membership is made up of casual shooters who show up for the social aspect.
    On a slight tangent, myself and several other revolver shooter petitioned IDPA to allow the 7 and 8 shot revolvers to be used at capacity in ESR. Those suggestions were ignored.
    I disagree with this characterization of IDPA's membership. That might be true in your neck of the woods, but it is certainly not true in the Mid-Atlantic Region. I see Expert and Master class shooters at well-run matches at AAFG, Thurmont MD, Lower Providence PA, Easton PA, Hollidaysburg PA, Rivanna (Charlottesville, VA), Norfolk County Rifle Range (Chesapeake, VA), Cavalier (Montpelier, VA), and others. There are some clubs that are still building their membership, such as Peacemaker, but people aren't there to socialize. Shooters do like to socialize, but that is discouraged as we like them being ready to paste and reset. Often socializing happens AFTER the match. People are there to shoot, enjoy the sport, talk a little about guns and reloading, and then get home to their loved ones.

If that happens at your clubs, then I see no problem with it. But in my experience people are there to shoot first.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I wonder if this is catering to the members or sponsors who happen to sell a RDS ready gun? Either way it would be a major step forward for an organization I have been critical of. The willingness to improve is a start, worrying about the right improvements can happen a little later.
    It is likely both, but I suspect members are driving this harder.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

What is lost by keeping ESR? Even if few shoot it? Comparatively few shoot SSR also, why not get rid of that too?

Just curious what the harm is.

This has nothing to do with the $$$ I have spent in the last 6 months on gearing up to shoot ESR in 2015....

According to their email they're not getting rid of that category of firearms completely so much as planning to roll them into SSR. Not ideal for all revolver shooters but it makes some sense.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    According to their email they're not getting rid of that category of firearms completely so much as planning to roll them into SSR. Not ideal for all revolver shooters but it makes some sense.
    There's been chatter for years about rolling the two divisions back together. Mostly by allowing speedloader guns at 125 PF and clip guns at 165 PF. I said it would never happen, but I also said USPSA wouldn't do 8 minor which was also discussed for years.

I'm honestly surprised. I've been increasingly critical of IDPA to the point of not shooting it at all anymore and just doing USPSA. This keeps up I might start doing the local club matches again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    What is lost by keeping ESR? Even if few shoot it? Comparatively few shoot SSR also, why not get rid of that too?

Just curious what the harm is.

This has nothing to do with the $$$ I have spent in the last 6 months on gearing up to shoot ESR in 2015....
    According to my sources there are a number of issues, but the main ones are:
    - Sanctioned Match admin increases with the number of Divisions, awards, etc.
    - More chances for revolver shooters to get match bumps when you combine them
    - Most software built for sanctioned matches is configured for 5 Divisions;
    - There just hasn't been enough interest...most revolver shooters have moved to steel matches...that is where more competition exists an more equipment choices.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    You don't have to buy a $500 Trijicon RMR, either. There are plenty of mini red dots under $200. The Burris is about $220 plus mount. I see some cheaper versions for at low as $50. Demand will bring prices down as suppliers manufacture in larger quantities.
    Cody
    So these will be the next widgets at my IDPA matches that people fuss with as they make ready, and demand alibis for when they fail?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am not trying to take credit for any of this. But these changes represent the list of suggestions I sent to HQ back just before the Nationals...with some exceptions.
    I recommended the laser/optics division, but I did not recommend the CCP division... I did recommend a BUG division, but I do understand the issues of trying to make a BUG division part of a normal sanctioned match. So, keeping BUG matches separate makes sense. I recommended the combining of both revolver divisions...which by eliminating ESR accomplished that. Of course I recommended revoking flat-footed reloads.

So, I will vote for the Optics Division and here is why: We already have SSP, CDP and ESP divisions for semi-auto's. For a typical sanctioned match of 85 shooters, adding CCP will likely take away more participants from SSP, CDP and ESP, thus reducing the likelihood of match bumps in those divisions. Whereas Optics will mostly attract NEW shooters to the sport and to sanctioned matches and demonstrates IDPA is supporting new technologies. I see more and more people opting for red-dots on their pistols and some claim they are faster. Some people really love their lasers, as well. I think it is great opportunity to see which technologies work better in daylight and gets vendors to improve their technologies. I think these things are the future and by IDPA adopting this now, it shows leadership in the shooting sports.

I am very happy with the press release and I hope to see more changes coming with the new rules. I support AIWB, increasing the number of non-threats available in a COF, bringing back par time shooting, and a number of other stage design improvements. I don't want to outline them here. A different thread is appropriate for that. From this press release, it seems the IDPA HQ is reacting to membership and club pressure. And, that is a good thing.
    Cody

Then, why are you even mentioning it? It's just a backdoor way for you to try and take credit for it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CoThG View Post
    It's just a backdoor way for you to try and take credit for it.
    Which is pretty ridiculous considering how long some fairly influential people have been pushing for it.

User Tag List