Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know much about .32 H&R Magnum?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Anyone know much about .32 H&R Magnum?

Having used a Smith 432PD for a BUG/winter coat pocket gun for almost a decade, I have a reasonably large amount of .32 H&R Magnum ammo on hand. I keep a few hundred rounds of it loose in an ammo can, and it was dumped in there from commercial boxes that I'd acquired over the years.

The loose ammo in the can consists of Federal 95gr SWCs and 85gr JHPs, as well as Georgia Arms 100gr SJHPs. The Federal HP loads are distinguishable at a glance, with the jacket running all the way to the hollowpoint cavity and the red sealant around the primers.

When I ran a ten shot string of the 85gr JHPs over the chrono today, just for giggles, and was surprised to see an extreme spread of 114.2 fps, almost four times as wide as the 95gr target loads I'd just shot. I'm wondering if, what with the 85gr JHPs likely coming from different lots bought years apart, if Federal either hotted up or toned down the caliber at some point?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

That's not even close to being odd when one is dealing with multiple ammo lots.

Over the years I have cron'd our 124gr +P Gold Dot at between 1225 and 1275 from the exact same gun, just different lots.

This was
    LO: 831.5
    HI: 945.7
    AV: 898.7
    ES: 114.2
    SD: 30.23

I have some data from some Federal .38spl 125gr that gave me an extreme spread of 97fps. Ten shot string not just from the same lot but the same box.

I *may* have some at the shop. Unless you want to sell that critter, I'll see what our fodder would cost.

P.S. No fair using a chrono. That'll get you killed on the streets, yo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Having used a Smith 432PD for a BUG/winter coat pocket gun for almost a decade..
    I have a 432PD too! I bought mine in 2011 though. (However, I don't have a chronograph.)

If I could score a brace of 432s I'd be packing .32H&R for my BUGs, too bad S&W quit making those guns.

Site Supporter
    I have 432 also. I got it when they were discontinued and were dumped at gun shows for about $330 - much cheaper than 642s at the time. Should have bought two.

I also have a 632 SS comp in 327 just because. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

With a SS frame, not the SS matte black. I put fiber optics on it. It's a pretty gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have 432 also. I got it when they were discontinued and were dumped at gun shows for about $330 - much cheaper than 642s at the time. Should have bought two.
    Likewise.

I sold the heck out of those things back then and only grabbed one for myself.

Quick question. I've got one and I like it a lot. However, I load it with 100 gr full wadcutter .32 S&W long loads since none of the .32 H&R Mag loads I tested expanded (not even a little bit). So, did I screw up in testing (I'm very willing to believe that) and is there a load which is worth carrying in .32 Magnum?

User Tag List