Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Military retirees, budget cuts, and politics

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    FWIW: Employers matching a portion of employee contributions pretty common. Mine matches dollar for dollar, up to 5% of my annual salary.
    This is becoming less common from what I have read. Many employers are offering very low match rates, or none at all. My classmates that went into industry instead of academia in the last four years are not getting employer matches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It's deferred not cut. It is caught up compounded at age 62. I've take big cuts for the team. That's gone and never coming back. Big difference.

None of the folks I know served for the money. I didn't. I don't think the "right mind" is germane to the calling.
    You get less money until age 62, so while the cost of living skyrockets from inflation, you get stuck with an ever increasing void. Yeah sure that's cool...

No people don't serve for the money, but they sure don't serve 20+ years to be lied to and have there retirement, healthcare and benefits package reduced/taken away. Its complete BS. This country is going to take away from the one's who earned their way, and continue to give it to those who won't get off their butts and put in the time...

Yep that makes perfect sense....I don't know why any retired service member would be upset with that. CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph B. View Post
    You get less money until age 62, so while the cost of living skyrockets from inflation, you get stuck with an ever increasing void. Yeah sure that's cool...

No people don't serve for the money, but they sure don't serve 20+ years to be lied to and have there retirement, healthcare and benefits package reduced/taken away. Its complete BS. This country is going to take away from the one's who earned their way, and continue to give it to those who won't get off their butts and put in the time...

Yep that makes perfect sense....I don't know why any retired service member would be upset with that. CRAZY!
    Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that this is the tip of the iceberg.

Consider for a moment that 50% of the money they are paying you(and spending on your healthcare) is being borrowed. Guess what happens when the Government can't borrow that 50% anymore.

Frankly I hope this is a wake-up call for anyone who was expecting to survive on their "promised" pension or retirement package. The money flat-out does not exist and the situation is getting worse every day.

I agree its wrong. I agree we shouldn't be doing this to veterans. We should be calling out out our Pols on the BS they are parroting on the news. "Hurray us! We "cut" spending by promising to reduce an increase in spending by 1% 3 years from now!"
    Last edited by littlejerry; 12-18-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Cutting the pay for our military retires is despicable. Congress and the president should cut their pay and retirement benefits before cutting anyone else's.
    Pat

Agree. They may not serve for the money but they do have to pay the bills and make a living just like anyone else. Our vets deserve better than this.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    IMO we'd all be much better off if we did away with the idea of defined benefit retirements entirely and force everyone into some sort of a 401K or something similar, be they government, military, union, and other. I'm a vet and I have worked for the govt. and I have never understood the idea of being able to retire at 37 and have a guaranteed salary for the rest of your life. Heck, I'm aware of folks who are getting multiple govt. retirements that add up to more than they ever got in a salary and are still working, drawing a taxpayer-funded paycheck while drawing multiple taxpayer-funded retirement checks.
    Yes and they earned those retirements. I am totally against doing away with defined benefit. The problem with 401k's is you can be fine if the markets fine and if its not you can't retire. Generally 401K's are no where close to what defined benefit retirements paid out. I feel bad for our new hires that are on 401K's Most will probably never be able to retire unless they get work some where outside of law enforcement later on.
    pat

Banned
    Welcome to the real world , it is about time you joined us.

I see nothing funny about someone loosing benefits but it is simple math , the benefits never should have been offered in the first place if the money was not there to cover them. In the private sector when a company goes bankrupt all deals are off and benefits are gone. I lost retirement medical and a pension when a company I had 17 years in with filed bankruptcy. The gov't is out of money and everything should be cut. Deserve or not has nothing to do with it.

Was Tricare also included in the long term promises? It was created in '96 and required a 27% contribution. That's been lowered to 11%. It was due to be hiked in 2014 but this new budget deal stopped that. A family friend, retired military with kids in school told us they pay $600 in change a year for Tricare. (Is that representative? IDK) When I was raising a family I was paying $800 per MONTH. Health care for civilians has only gone sideways since. We now see millions thrown off these plans and facing worse deals. So who is working up the value of Tricare and compounding that amount across 30-40 years?

$100B annual spend on personnel and I fail to see a country betraying it's retirees (17% of those who serve). I've searched with no luck on how much more generous any other nation on earth is in this regard but I'm all ears if anyone knows.

Now the enlisted vets that did an enlistment or two and did multiple combat tours then got out? I'd be more concerned about them and their transition.

As I am for those who will face the next nasty war and clean up the current ones. All of whom needed some DoD relief which they got from this deal.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Fixed it for you.

Pay me what I'm worth for the work I do today. I'm not your problem when I leave.

Promising to pay me in 30 years for what I did yesterday is a scam.
    Not a fix, IMO. Most folks simply will not save adequate amounts unless you force them to do so.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's what these guys are arguing.

"The current retirement system provides no retirement benefits at all to servicemembers who serve less than 20 years. If MOAA, which used to be called the Retired Officers’ Association, really cared about the overwhelming majority of the enlisted men and women who serve in the military, they would advocate scrapping the current outmoded retirement system in favor of a 401(k) type system for all who serve."

http://www.defenseone.com/management...itial-continue

The 401K ideas like this I've read of differ from mine in that DoD contributes for each service member vs me contributing myself from my comp IIRC.

Those are changes to phase in way in advance of course. It's hard to see how we are going to manage the current $100B personnel spend doubling by 2034.
    True. My point is that we would be better off to require it across the board, all businesses, all employees, not just military.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List