Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA Reform Act

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    "Encouraging the carry of firearms by retired officers will only increase the systemic problem of police violence that plagues many communities in our country!"
    -Senator Derpa-Derpa.
    Reducing the space for those who wish to destroy is several isms at once.

Well, this is welcome news.

I hope that it is signed into law, but won't be surprised if it isn't—weird times.

My annual qual is next month, nice to see improvement in the law.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    There are currently 217 Republicans in the House, and this passed with 221 votes. My guess is that this vote was largely along party lines, and it will not pass the Senate.
    It might get 51. It won't get 60 to make it to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    ... and it will not pass the Senate. Cops bad, mmmkay?
    This being an election year, crime being a thing again, and the left side of the aisle trying to salvage something - those things might work in our favor. Might. Not betting or holding my breath.

The Senate generally tends to be a lot less Radical Kook on the issues than the House. They're not under the same sort of Hyper Left "Cops Bad!" pressure, and most could get an easy W by Standing Up for Law Enforcement, especially those in the more purple states.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Many wealthy and well to do types love retired cops for their security details. I can see it passing the Senate.

Don't give me hope, guys. I need to expect disappointment.

I sent it to my coworkers, with both of ME’s Senators’ contact info. I doubt there will be a lot of opposition, so enough people saying they support it can’t hurt.

One can dream.
    I am not out to pasture yet, but it is creeping up. About 3.5yr to mandatory.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Per the status of the bill ...

05/20/2024
    Senate Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-...54/all-actions

You can read the whole text (thus far), unless the Senate makes any changes ...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/354/text

I'd suspect that since this is an election year, and an increasing number of voters are frightened by some types of rising crime, the bill will hopefully be passed and then quickly signed by the president.

User Tag List