Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors - Where to Start

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I would change that order to 3, 1, 2.

.22 rimfire cans are simply the best reason to own a suppressor. If you own one suppressor and only one suppressor, it should be an easily maintained lightweight .22LR can. Given how dirty .22LR is to shoot, I strongly recommend a 100% titanium user-serviceable suppressor, as that will allow you to use very harsh but much more convenient cleaning options that aluminum can't tolerate.

If you really want a .30 cal can for a bolt gun and hunting, get a .30 cal can intended for that role. Generally speaking, those .30 cal hunting cans are not going to work very well on a 5.56 semiauto. The reason being that there's no free lunch, and what works well on a .30cal bolt gun that prioritizes light weight and minimal accuracy loss isn't going to play super well on an AR semi, where durability and reduced backpressure will matter much more. So if you really want to try one on an AR too, get a dedicated AR can like an Otter Creek Polonium that's designed for hard use with a semi/full 5.56.

9mm cans work best on PCC's but Beretta 92's work better as suppressor hosts than a multitude of other options. Here I would focus on light weight and moderate/small size over a huge-ass whisper pickle that's heavy and causes cycling problems and makes the pistol handle like crap, even if suppression performance suffers a bit to make that trade. Ecco Machine has a model called the Canine that's 100% titanium and only 3.5oz or so, so I'd really like to get for those exact reasons. They have a longer version called the TLX too that's also well-regarded. Once Hansohn Brothers gets either model back in stock I'll be buying one (possibly both).

My thoughts exactly.

Purchased my first can back in 2002 for a 9 mm. I used it a few times, then it sat in the safe for a number of years and is currently on a PCC for the past several years. I can't think of the last time I wanted to put that thing on a handgun again. The novelty wears off fairly quickly.

22 cans are just awesome. I wish I had started with them.

Site Supporter
    22 cans are awesome. I have a user-serviceable titanium/stainless combo, but if I was starting over, I'd really look at the rimfire flow-through setups like those from Huxwrx to limit the clouds of emissions emanating from the ejection port that hang out near me.

A centerfire rifle can is wonderful - I have a modular Hybrid 46, which I can also use on pistols. It lives with a .45 cal endcap, and a .30 would work just fine as well for my purposes. Getting a .46cal rifle can gave me the option to get a larger bore in the future - not my goal, but I have more options, so to speak.

The pistol can seems to be more of a novelty than anything, having only shot a few times with a suppressed centerfire pistol. The balance is thrown way off, and the wrist is stressed more than without - I don't think it's worth the squeeze.

I'll jump on the .22 first bandwagon.

I've got a bunch of suppressors, but strangely enough, not a .22 rimfire can. I'll probably take care of that later this year.

I shoot mostly SBR AR's, with K can's these days. I consider them more "sound and signature moderators" than suppressors. None of them are hearing safe, and I'd never shoot one without ear pro, unless it was a life or death situation.

I'll also echo the couple of comments about centirefire pistol suppressors. I've got one 9mm, a CGS MOD9. It's very quiet, with the right ammunition, but I just don't enjoy shooting a full size handgun with the full size can that much.

Right now, for me, the best fun is my .300 blk and 9mm PCC with subsonic ammunition. I just put together an MPX SD, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Some suppressor inspiration, Barrett .338 suppressor, for my MRAD. She's got some girth, but titanium makes it amazingly light.

I bought a SiCo Hybrid 46 in 2017 and got a free Octane 45 with it. I run ASR flash hiders on my LWRC and Sig 516 5.56s, Tavor X95 300blk, and 8" MPX. Despite the hate for the ASR mounting system, I've had zero problems with it. I generally run the .46 endcap but have a .224 that makes a little difference. Since the 5.56s and 300blk have suppressor settings, I don't find blowback to be much of an issue. The MPX is severely over gassed and brings tears to my eyes. I'm working on buying another 46 from a friend that got out of guns so I'll probably run a 9mm end cap on that can for the X95 and MPX and swap the original can with the .224 endcap between the ARs.

I recently picked up a new old stock AAC M4 2000 because it was cheap and available, and it's dedicated to my 11.5" MCX Virtus. I know the 51t mount also gets a lot of hate, but it's going to live on the MCX so I probably won't wear it out. The MCX is way over gassed even on the minus setting and the combo is gassy as fuck, but quiet. A guy next to me at the range the other week said he thought I was shooting .22 suppressed, it was so quiet. To my ear it's about the same as the SiCo, but I'm half deaf in my left ear because of a congenital defect, so I'm not the best judge.

The Octane 45 gets use on my USPC9, P229, P320, and MR918/920. It may not be especially practical in the real world but I find it enormously fun to shoot and the novelty has yet to wear off. Since it can be disassembled for cleaning, it also sees use on my .22 AR. With subsonic ammo it's so quiet I firmly believe I could shoot an intruder in my bedroom multiple times and not wake up my wife. I know a dedicated .22 can would be smaller and lighter but it's not worth the cost to me at this point. At some point I may buy a threaded barrel for my USPC 40, which is why I opted for the Octane 45 instead of the 9, but that's not a priority.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have skipped the M4 2k and ordered a flow through can for the MCX, but I'm happy with the multi cal and pistol cans.

Site Supporter
    Thank you all for the information. I might be tossing the idea of a .22 first around a bit more, Also perhaps that one specific to gas guns. I get the “do all” cans not really doing it all that well, but I frankly got no clue when we’d have funds for additional stuff. I’ve still got ammo to buy on the reg and have a wife who’s getting further into this stuff, too.

I think a do-it-all can has a place so long as it can settle into a primary role later on.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I think a do-it-all can has a place so long as it can settle into a primary role later on.
    Which would generally be a big bore can.
    #RESIST

Cans are advancing rapidly. I put a new Liberty Mach K Titanium on my .300Blk AUG today after shooting it with my Dead Air Sandman Ti, and was blown away by how quieter a can weighing about half as much and is much shorter, can be.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Cans are advancing rapidly. I put a new Liberty Mach K Titanium on my .300Blk AUG today after shooting it with my Dead Air Sandman Ti, and was blown away by how quieter a can weighing about half as much and is much shorter, can be.
    I'm not familiar with that model. Is it one of the new flow through designs?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't know if I would chalk a large difference in acoustic signature to being cans advancing rapidly, particularly at the ear, it's often an interplay between design factors more than anything. For example, the SureFire SOCOM762 series perform quite poorly with .300 BLK, particularly subsonics, but can tame more conventional larger caliber rounds like 7.62×51mm or .300 Win Mag very well; this was a point of contention for the many folks that bought the SureFire SOCOM762-Minis for their .300 BLK guns and then found that the guns were still often over 140 dB. The fact that a can sounds quieter at the ear is also a factor of backpressure; higher backpressure cans can often meter much louder than low backpressure cans at the shooter's ear, yet meter quieter in the standard military testing protocol that is left of the muzzle.

User Tag List