Page 192 of 193 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193 LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 1925

Thread: The Semi-Unofficial Pistol-Forum Car geek, gearhead, hot rodder, and vehicle thread

Video: The 1975 AMC Pacer Transformation

In 1975, American Motors created a special stunt vehicle to demonstrate that the new Pacer was actually a big car hidden inside a small car.

This memorable 1975 spot from American Motors opens with a full-sized luxury car (one that looks a lot like a 1974-75 Ford LTD, you’ll say) cruising down the road. “If you want this much room,” the announcer John Bartholomer Tucker declares, “as well as a smooth and stable ride, and really believe you’ll only get it in a bigger car, you’re in for a pleasant surprise.”

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Video: The 1975 AMC Pacer Transformation

In 1975, American Motors created a special stunt vehicle to demonstrate that the new Pacer was actually a big car hidden inside a small car.

This memorable 1975 spot from American Motors opens with a full-sized luxury car (one that looks a lot like a 1974-75 Ford LTD, you’ll say) cruising down the road. “If you want this much room,” the announcer John Bartholomer Tucker declares, “as well as a smooth and stable ride, and really believe you’ll only get it in a bigger car, you’re in for a pleasant surprise.”

Reminded me of this article from my yoot:

Name:  IMG_5654.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  60.7 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I remember seeing a Pacer someone had turned the entire interior around so that the rear window was windshield. IIRC there was a 454 mounted where the front seat and dash had been and what used to be the engine bay was rebuilt into the mount for a 5th wheel hitch and they were pulling a car trailer with it.

I need to dig through my old car show pictures to see if I still have the pics. I really hope I do...

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Just like Murphy, The Good Idea Fairy neither ages nor sleeps: It Came From Detroit–The 1928 Pitts Sky Car

The Pitts Sky Car, and the Pitts United Helicopter Corporation, were the unique vision of one John W. Pitts of Detroit, Michigan. In 1924, Pitts filed a patent application for a parasol-type lifting device that both rotated and reciprocated, and in 1926 he was awarded U.S. Patent 1602778. By 1928, Pitts and his partner W.P. Kindree had developed a prototype flying car, and while it didn’t work—it was a rollicking failure, in fact—it did become famous, sort of. It’s one of the stars in all those old films about wacky inventions and crazy flying machines.

The Pitts Sky Car is usually shown for only a few seconds in most of these reels, but the Moving Image Research Collections at the University of South Carolina has almost seven minutes of the contraption in action. In the first two minutes we view the original Hearst Metrotone newsreel, followed by more than four minutes of the movie crew’s outtakes. It’s quite a show: The reciprocating rotor doesn’t produce lift so much as force the machine to bounce violently up and down while rotating clockwise due to the torque reaction. We were impressed that, despite the severe beating he took, the pilot (John Pitts, we presume) doesn’t seem rattled at all.

Wild Six-Wheel Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 Race Car up for Auction

What has six wheels and wins F1 races? No, it's not Lando Norris going on holiday with his McLaren pulling a tent trailer. It's the Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 racecar from the late 1970s, bizarre in appearance but successful in competition. Not only is the P34 the only six-wheeled F1 car to actually compete, but at the 1977 Swedish Grand Prix, two P34s finished first and second in a resounding proof of concept.

Name:  tyrrell-p34-3-663d31766b2a9.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  37.9 KB

Budget blower install

Name:  IMG_2230.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  58.0 KB

Budget blower install

Name:  IMG_2230.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  58.0 KB
    You might be a redneck if.....

Wild Six-Wheel Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 Race Car up for Auction

What has six wheels and wins F1 races? No, it's not Lando Norris going on holiday with his McLaren pulling a tent trailer. It's the Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 racecar from the late 1970s, bizarre in appearance but successful in competition. Not only is the P34 the only six-wheeled F1 car to actually compete, but at the 1977 Swedish Grand Prix, two P34s finished first and second in a resounding proof of concept.

Name:  tyrrell-p34-3-663d31766b2a9.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  37.9 KB
    Look what I found! This Hot Wheel is a big reason I found the Tyrell fascinating but I didn’t know it was based on a real car until decades later.

Name:  IMG_2375.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2376.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  85.2 KB

Mom would use a Marks-a-lot on the bottom as an anti-theft device so I could take them to school
    Name:  IMG_2377.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  65.8 KB

User Tag List