Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who has quit caffeine??

I've quit caffeine many times. Always noticed a short dip in mood, and then a more even, generalized feeling of pleasantness over the following days. Currently, I'm giving myself an hour or so before I have the first cup. I don't like the feeling of "need" when I wake up.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

This topic is very "American" in nature. That is, absolutist, alarmist, knee-jerk, not based on science or common sense.

"Too much caffeine is bad and was affecting me" should not mean, "eliminate all caffeine from diet".

Moderation.

Humans have safely consumed caffeinated drinks such as coffee and tea for thousands of years. If you're drinking a pot of coffee in the morning just to function, that's anomalous from the historical norm for humans. If you are drinking a gallon a day of coffee and you get massive headaches if you don't, that's obviously a problem.

Drinking a few cups of coffee or tea per day is not a problem. Notice I wrote, "cups", not McWhopper AmeriCAN BigGulp 3000. Look at the cups that people throughout human history typically use, or countries where caffeine consumption is normalized and not excessive due to commercialization...it's 8oz or less....not multiple 20, 24, or 30oz. People in India drink tea all throughout the day, and the same with coffee in Ethiopia...but in both regions, their cups are no-shit 1/4-to-1/2 the size of what Americans are consuming.

Caffeine isn't killing you...gluttony is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Personally, I find energy drinks to be disgusting.
    With the exception of Redbull, I agree.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This topic is very "American" in nature. That is, absolutist, alarmist, knee-jerk, not based on science or common sense.
    "Too much caffeine is bad and was affecting me" should not mean, "eliminate all caffeine from diet".
    Moderation.
    Humans have safely consumed caffeinated drinks such as coffee and tea for thousands of years. If you're drinking a pot of coffee in the morning just to function, that's anomalous from the historical norm for humans. If you are drinking a gallon a day of coffee and you get massive headaches if you don't, that's obviously a problem.
    Drinking a few cups of coffee or tea per day is not a problem. Notice I wrote, "cups", not McWhopper AmeriCAN BigGulp 3000. Look at the cups that people throughout human history typically use, or countries where caffeine consumption is normalized and not excessive due to commercialization...it's 8oz or less....not multiple 20, 24, or 30oz. People in India drink tea all throughout the day, and the same with coffee in Ethiopia...but in both regions, their cups are no-shit 1/4-to-1/2 the size of what Americans are consuming.
    To be fair, too many American 'coffee' drinkers are basically drinking hot milkshakes with enough flavorings to cover up any remaining coffee taste. I once foolishly ordered a macchiato from Starbucks. Instead of getting a shot of espresso with a dollop of milk foam, I got a cup of syrup so sickly sweet I had to dump it out of the car.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I start off every day with freshly ground and pressed coffee steeped at the correct temp. I pour a large mug of it and enjoy my morning.

I used to think it kept me up at night but I’ve been more physically active for the last 11 months and I sleep very well now. I typically won’t drink anything caffeinated after that initial mug.

No way am I willing to quit. For me, it’s all about the taste.

Site Supporter
    Didn't Panera kill people with hyper-caffeinated Lemonade? Got that right?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Didn't Panera kill people with hyper-caffeinated Lemonade? Got that right?
    Not everyone died from the death lemonade, just the weak.
    --Jason--

Sufficiently far down my list of actionable problems that I have not begun to address.

Who has quit caffeine??

I make a big 20 ounce iced coffee at home or get one at Dunks around 7am. I switched over to half-caff and don’t get the jitters any more. My body is very sensitive. If I even sniff coffee after 3 PM, my sleep is crap that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only drink a few cups a day. Usually one or two before breakfast and maybe one after. Never drink anything with caffeine, that I know about, after about 8 AM. No energy drinks or anything other than water or tea, which has very little caffeine in it. I just don't see it as a problem health wise.

When I was working we usually grabbed some coffee on the way to the job site but it still only amounted to a few cups a day. Sugar is the thing I really try to avoid. I think many people consume large amounts of sugar with their caffeine when they get a latte or whatever all those folks are lined up for at Starbucks and the drive throughs. Boeing workers in Everett were probably there for the bare breasted baristas in the drive throughs also.

I'm 74 and my doc is always amazed at my blood sugar level when I test. I guess he sees many old timers who are diabetic. Absolutely don't want to go there. I like my legs.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-01-2024 at 08:51 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

We can hang out.

- - -

On the topic of Red Bull, during the very tail end of the 90s, the time comes where I get a call from the manager of a local radio station. It turns out that they have partnered with the then-nascent USA arm of Red Bull to help open up the inland region. (Red Bull first hit the USA in California). The deal is this: the radio station held a competition where an office could submit an essay to the station detailing why their office deserved a “relaxation party,” and win one of 5 chances for a team of experts to descend on the office, offering lunch, free massages, live relaxing music (where I fit in) and—incredibly—all the red bull the office could drink.

Remember, nobody in the ‘Kan had heard of red bull at this point in time.

So, every lunch hour for a week, my duo would show up at a different office (insurance, dentist, ad agency, etc.) along with a dozen graduating students from the local massage therapy school, a caterer, and a couple of Red bull themed cars—including a Suzuki something or other mini pickup with a giant can of Red Bull welded on top/in the back, carrying 100-gallon drums filled with ice and promo cans of Red Bull.

All of which was fine and dandy, for the first 20 minutes or so. They’d turn the lights down, we’d fire up the PA and do our idiosyncratic and soothing music, and the office staff would eat gyros, drink cans of the then-new red bull, and wait for their turn for a massage on one of the dozen table scattered around the office.

Of course, Red Bull, being an “energy drink” began to have an alarming effect on the massagees. For 5 days in a row, I’d watch the mellow “relaxtion party vibe” go from lights out chill to chaos as secretaries and receptionists flopped like fish out of water on the massage tables after their 4th or 5th little can of the new, sponsoring happy juice. No shit, by 12:45, the poor massage therapy students couldn’t pin their clients to the table with a rear naked choke.

That whole week remains one of the more surreal gigs I’ve done out of almost 2500 public performances. Bizarre.

And that’s the tale of totem’s tribe helping open the inland NW region for Red Bull.

🤷🏼
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

User Tag List