Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoeger suspended from USPSA

Perhaps this is preparation for the next President of the organization. Not the one we wanted and voted in three times, but the one they seem to want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They could "pass" it but still be lying. Polys are a sad joke...which makes it fitting that USPSA is going to spend money on a test like that.

The whole thing reminds of an HOA that's lost it's mind and is has now turned on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by konkapot View Post
    They could "pass" it but still be lying.
    I'm not familiar with polygraphs, but I'm guessing that the reverse could be true and someone could also fail a poly and not be lying, right?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I'm not familiar with polygraphs, but I'm guessing that the reverse could be true and someone could also fail a poly and not be lying, right?
    It simply measures biological readings that someone interprets (ie - breathing speed/depth) while asking questions of a known outcome to compare to ones with unknowns.

If you can hold your calm throughout, you'll pass no matter the validity of anything said.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    It simply measures biological readings that someone interprets (ie - breathing speed/depth) while asking questions of a known outcome to compare to ones with unknowns.

If you can hold your calm throughout, you'll pass no matter the validity of anything said.
    So if someone is truthful, but still nervous about taking a polygraph (or is just nervous for some unrelated reason), then would it be possible to fail despite telling the truth, or not?

So if someone is truthful, but still nervous about taking a polygraph (or is just nervous for some unrelated reason), then would it be possible to fail despite telling the truth, or not?
    Yes.

A lot of whether you 'pass' or 'fail' depends on the operator and their ability to establish a baseline and interpret the graphs.

The smartest legal mind I know - 'the Legal Beagle' - once told me (paraphrase) 'if I was with you all last night and someone asked you to take a polygraph regarding your whereabouts during that time period, I'd tell you not to agree.'

Two friends who were both polygraphists told me 'mine are accurate, not so sure about...' (again, paraphrase).
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Yes. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Yes.

A lot of whether you 'pass' or 'fail' depends on the operator and their ability to establish a baseline and interpret the graphs.

The smartest legal mind I know - 'the Legal Beagle' - once told me (paraphrase) 'if I was with you all last night and someone asked you to take a polygraph regarding your whereabouts during that time period, I'd tell you not to agree.'

Two friends who were both polygraphists told me 'mine are accurate, not so sure about...' (again, paraphrase).

When I took my hiring polygraph for the police department, the polygrapher told me I was being deceptive on the question about belonging to an organization that was against the USA.
    At the time, the only thing I'd ever joined(besides the Army), was the United States Fencing Association...
    We went round and round a few times(he didn't know what fencing was, the ignorant wretch) before he dropped it.
    Apparently my mild amusement at the question changed my breathing.
    Whatever.

After I was hired and starting talking to people who had polygraphs with the guy who did mine all expressed their opinion he was an asshole. One guy he failed took a polygraph with the state police and passed. He was about to be hired by DPS when our hiring sergeant called him and she convinced him to take another polygraph with our other polygrapher. He passed that one too and got hired by my agency. I worked with him for thirty years.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Similar poly experiences.

I had switched from one agency to another, and the questions they asked lateral applicants were a little more.....directed....towards common issues with police officers. The polygrapher was training someone, there were two of them behind the machine.

One question I may have had an emotional reaction to he said to his trainee "See....Konkapot reacted that way because he knows if he's lying we won't hire him."

A previous poly (again a lateral hire) the certified polygrapher and alchemist really focused in on drug use. An odd topic to focus on, as I had never touched/used narcotics before. I would have thought that there would have been other, more profitable topics to focus on. I almost guided his questioning out of pity.

User Tag List