Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Like 3 Little Fonzies: How to be cool under the gun

Even though this is in the "free" section of the forum, the nuggets of info from @SouthNarc and @TCinVA in this thread are great examples of why I remain a site supporter.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    What was the time if you started with your hand in your pocket, with a master grip on the gun already established?
    Not who you were talking to, but the other day while I was at the range I timed myself using hand in pocket with my grip as established on the LCP Max as my holster allowed.

What I decided was that I need to get sights for the pistol, I spent too much time finding the sights in the sun. Also had to finish establishing master grip as drawing.

As you can see I cant shoot for beans but run between 2:14 and 2.95

Name:  Holster.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  50.7 KB Name:  Seven.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  24.1 KB Name:  Fifteen.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  26.0 KB Name:  Twenty five.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  25.1 KB
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    That's correct. When someone has you under focus and you want to draw a gun literally while they are looking at you, there are two things you have to do: slow down their reaction time and split their attention.
    To demo this, I tell people what I'm going to do, then start the "don't hurt me, take my phone, my keys...", and when I pull my phone out of my left pocket their eyes always shift to it, even though they know I'm about to draw from right. I've thought about a clumsy drop of the left hand item.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

RE; Apollo Robbins and directing attention.

It's not apparent from everyday life how easily hacked our attention is. This video shows an interesting consequence from that concerning decision making.

And this one is a famous demonstration of how limited your attentional bandwidth actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    What was the time if you started with your hand in your pocket, with a master grip on the gun already established?
    I've explored the pocket draw with a mousegun, and it was ~0.8 to 0.9s.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Not who you were talking to, but the other day while I was at the range I timed myself using hand in pocket with my grip as established on the LCP Max as my holster allowed.

What I decided was that I need to get sights for the pistol, I spent too much time finding the sights in the sun. Also had to finish establishing master grip as drawing.

As you can see I cant shoot for beans but run between 2:14 and 2.95
    @WobblyPossum I’m about what @Clusterfrack does. I personally think small guns with poor sights kind of require very good indexes to extend range.

I did the whole Bakersfield from pocket draw with a revolver using semi auto times.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If I am understanding what Craig was saying, the fast pocket presentation is inconsistent with feigning compliance. Speed triggers attention, and the presentation should be at a speed the bad guy expects someone handing over their phone or wallet would do.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  IMG_4237.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  50.5 KB

The 0.8 second pocket draw is a tool.

Just like a 0.8 second concealed AIWB draw or a 0.6s open holster snoop draw.

You don’t break it out indiscriminately.

If someone has a gun POINTED AT YOU, then slow, steady, cool Fonzie.

No sudden moves and misdirection is a good idea.

Skill without tactics is worthless.

Tactics without skill is worthless.

I can guarantee that @Clusterfrack 2 second slow draw will be dead on while others with lesser index skill will still struggle even at that pace.

0.8 second pocket draw might be something to utilize if someone is charging at you from 7 yards and actively brandishing a knife (perhaps? I’m not a self defense expert)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Jules does a great job of using the sparkly in the case (did we ever figure out WHAT was in the case?)
    Marsellus Wallace's soul. That's why he has two Band-Aids on the back of his neck.

What do you think about the DCON hoodie for this application? Is it an advantage or do you think sliding your hands in a hoodie pocket is too threatening? I've made my own for awhile but I don't think I really look that casual staging the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I am understanding what Craig was saying, the fast pocket presentation is inconsistent with feigning compliance. Speed triggers attention, and the presentation should be at a speed the bad guy expects someone handing over their phone or wallet would do.
    That's correct sir.

User Tag List