Page 58 of 121 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol Brace Amnesty

Site Supporter
    ...and right on cue, e-forms is unavailable.

I suspect that'll be a common occurrence over the next few months as increased traffic overwhelms the site.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post

I suspect that'll be a common occurrence over the next few months as increased traffic overwhelms the site.
    So, I’m thinking they’re going to need to extend the 120 day window for every day that eForms is down.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    So, I’m thinking they’re going to need to extend the 120 day window for every day that eForms is down.
    You have a real future with the Babylon Bee!😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I suspect that is a rather large gamble, if they never actually publish the "rules". But I'm no legal expert. To be clear, I'm not judging folks, but I think its jumping the gun a bit, trying to comply with a "rule" that isn't, quite yet, a rule. There is nothing secure about the stamps, until you have them in your hand. Even then, the ATF has occasionally changed its mind... (surprise!)

I think the whole thing is largely unenforceable and almost certain to jam up some otherwise law abiding folks. Which is quite possibly the idea.
    This is why I wanted to get mine submitted before the wave of traffic that’s starting now.

I don’t lose anything but I could gain $2k of free stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Let me get my free stamps first!
    Somewhere Homer S Cummings is glowering. Good.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I'm not trying to be difficult...this is a legitimate thought.

Will they give free stamps to applications that were filed before publication? If so, how far in advance?

Granted, there probably aren't a lot of pending applications that predate January 13 for items that happen to involve braced pistols, but it also probably isn't zero. Unless there has already been guidance, which is entirely possible, I'd definitely be watching for some indication from ATF that pre-publication filings are going to be treated under the published rule.

What if it took more than 120 days for them to process and kick back such applications? At that point, would they deny for failure to have paid the fees? Or would they leave it open for a bit, giving you time to pay the fees? In that scenario, the 120-day window would have closed so it would be too late to withdraw and reapply.

If early filers are still in limbo at day 100 or 110, I wonder if it would make sense to take a mulligan and start over?

It's ridiculous that anyone has to spend any time thinking about this. I hope that there is a nationwide injunction at 9:01am tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    I'm not trying to be difficult...this is a legitimate thought.

Will they give free stamps to applications that were filed before publication? If so, how far in advance?

Granted, there probably aren't a lot of pending applications that predate January 13 for items that happen to involve braced pistols, but it also probably isn't zero. Unless there has already been guidance, which is entirely possible, I'd definitely be watching for some indication from ATF that pre-publication filings are going to be treated under the published rule.

What if it took more than 120 days for them to process and kick back such applications? At that point, would they deny for failure to have paid the fees? Or would they leave it open for a bit, giving you time to pay the fees? In that scenario, the 120-day window would have closed so it would be too late to withdraw and reapply.

If early filers are still in limbo at day 100 or 110, I wonder if it would make sense to take a mulligan and start over?

It's ridiculous that anyone has to spend any time thinking about this. I hope that there is a nationwide injunction at 9:01am tomorrow morning.
    When they announced but didn’t publish, they opened a new website for the free form.

I applied using that site and didn’t pay. So they’ll have free stamps for efiles 1/13-1/31 if you used the fee waived site.

For applications done before using the 1/13, the tax was paid with the application and I don’t expect they will refund those…

So if their system is totally and hopelessly dicked, does everyone still have to comply? That's rhetorical. Sorta. What a joke. I think that issue alone ought to be enough to get an injunction.

We'll see what happens to those "limbo" applications. I think there are plenty of guys who are going to be in non-NFA friendly places that get jammed up. And folks who have no idea what the NFA and GCA is. I know ignorance of the law isn't a valid excuse... but I bet the rate of compliance will be low.

How and where would someone file, if they wanted to seek an injunction and bring a legal battle over this? It's way out of my lane, but I'm just curious.

Site Supporter
    This page includes a summary of clarifications to the rule from the NRA website.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2023...ilizing-braces

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    This page includes a summary of clarifications to the rule from the NRA website.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2023...ilizing-braces
    Server not found - they must be getting hammered, or there’s a DNS attack afoot. Any high points you remember?

NM - it’s back.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List