Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking advantage of a Gun Buyback.

Thinking about taking advantage of a Gun Buyback.

Certainly not at the level of the guy in NY who made $21,000 with 3D printed lowers.

I have a Walther P22 I purchased many moons ago when the kids were younger for them to start out with. It has been gathering dust for years and I was forced to register it in CT as an Assault Weapon due to the knee jerk legislation post Sandy Hook. Pistols with threaded muzzles were classified as AWs and required to be registered if kept.

By virtue of being a registered AW I can't sell or transfer to anyone in the state of CT. A local PD is hosting a Gun Buyback (don't get me started) Nov. 19. $150 for handguns and $250 for "Assault-type weapons (as determined by the PD). I figure the PD would want to give me $150 but I'm thinking I can insist I get $250 since I have a State of Connecticut Assault Weapon Registration letter for the weapon.

It's a crappy gun that went back to S&W once for the safety engaging during recoil and it came back no better. The barrel is very susceptible to leading depending on ammo and will start to keyhole at 21 feet during a range session. New it was around $250 and I have no further use for it. As a AW I can't sell/transfer it in state. I can't imagine a gun store would give me gas money to drive there in trade. Even $150 sounds good. I going to insist on $250. Then roll that into another gun purchase of course.

What do you think my chances are for leaving with $250?

Dealer cost on a threaded barrel Walther P22 as of this post is 315.00 from RSR Group. I'm seeing them sell slowly on gunbroker for around 325 to 350ish, with a bunch being drop shipped by various places at around 379... If you were to bring it into the shop to me here in eastern NC, I would first try to get you to take it a block down the street to the pawnshop because I don't really want it, but if you insisted or wanted to trade I'd likely offer 150ish in cash or perhaps up to 200 in trade credit... NC of course being a place where you don't have to deal with "assault weapon" bullshit.

In CT you likely know better than me, but I would be tempted to list it privately on gun broker starting as a penny auction and then just watch it go. You might get more out of it that way than you think, or you might not, but I'd rather do that than gun buybacks, I reserve those for the truly crap stuff that I have already stripped all working parts off of...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    In CT you likely know better than me, but I would be tempted to list it privately on gun broker starting as a penny auction and then just watch it go. You might get more out of it that way than you think, or you might not, but I'd rather do that than gun buybacks, I reserve those for the truly crap stuff that I have already stripped all working parts off of...
    As I said I can’t sell it in state and I don’t want to get involved with an out of state sale. Also I would not turn it in with the magazines, box, extra back straps. Perhaps I could make a few bucks more, I have 4 magazines for it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    As I said I can’t sell it in state and I don’t want to get involved with an out of state sale. Also I would not turn it in with the magazines, box, extra back straps. Perhaps I could make a few bucks more, I have 4 magazines for it.
    Then - if you don’t find it reliable and no longer want it. It appears your only remaining option is this gun buy back. If you want a working gun you could go back through with the manufacturer to try to fix it. Just between it not working and it sounds like needing to go back for warranty work, CT legalities meaning you can’t give it to your children or sell in state, and not wanting to sell out of state. Doing nothing is an option too.

Just bring up its threaded for suppressors. That may make it sound scary enough to get you an extra $100 for the AW’s.

ETA: You could always go - offer it for $250 and if they decline and go for $150 then walk away.

Dude, also reading that flyer breaks my heart for this country “Swords into plowshares”.
    Last edited by BWT; 11-04-2022 at 06:53 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Go for it. You have the documentation to justify the higher payout.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Pragmatically, it makes sense. Participation fees icky though, like cash for clunkers.

You could always set up a booth around the corner that offers free gun appraisals to make sure nobody’s getting shafted with $150 for their grandpas WW2 1911 bring back…
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Pragmatically, it makes sense. Participation fees icky though, like cash for clunkers.
    Regarding Icky. Posted on another forum.

"To anyone thinking of participating in a gun "buyback":

It doesn't matter that you're turning in a worthless or non-working gun.
    It doesn't matter what you do with the money they give you.
    It doesn't matter if the "gun" you turn in was hastily made from gas pipe and framing lumber.
    They don't care how much they spend.
    They're not interested in getting guns "off the streets" because they know what they're getting was never on the streets.
    They do it for the "money shot" of a police chief or two standing behind a table full of scary looking guns.
    Their goal is to frighten the masses into voting for their anti-gun agenda.
    If you participate in any way, you've helped them and you're the worst kind of freedom hating skinflint.

DON'T f***ING HELP THE ANTI-GUN POLITICIANS!!!"
    My thinking is the State tied my hands for what I can do with it. So I use this to get out, get a decent chunk of change and then roll it into a new blaster. Certainly not the "plowshares" enumerated in the flyer. I kind of feel like I would be sticking it to the man for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Regarding Icky. Posted on another forum.

My thinking is the State tied my hands for what I can do with it. So I use this to get out, get a decent chunk of change and then roll it into a new blaster. Certainly not the "plowshares" enumerated in the flyer. I kind of feel like I would be sticking it to the man for a change!
    A hilarious bit of irony. The GBB program is for the wrong reasons and people participate for the wrong reasons.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Might want to get on it.

Lamont suggests making 'grandfathered' assault weapons illegal.

https://www.ctpost.com/politics/arti...n-17556811.php

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Might want to get on it.

Lamont suggests making 'grandfathered' assault weapons illegal.

https://www.ctpost.com/politics/arti...n-17556811.php
    I really like rural CT, but this is bullshit.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List