Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a Mossberg 930 JM Pro...What ammo for 3-Gun?

Got a Mossberg 930 JM Pro...What ammo for 3-Gun?

What is the best ammo to run for 3-Gun in the Mossberg 930 JM Pro?
    I was thinking slugs made for smooth bore at 1300FPS and #8 Target loads at 1300FPS.

Does anyone have experience running light loads in the 930?

Thanks,
    CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

For birdshot, just avoid the cheap promo shells. I use B&P Classic or Winchester AA #7.5 sporting clays loads. On stages with a lot of close clay targets, I'll sometimes use Fiocchi Interceptor spreaders.

For slugs, you'll probably have to do some testing to determine what your gun likes. I've pretty much settled on B&P low-recoil 1oz. slugs, but I've also had good results with Fiocchi Aeros, Federal PB127LRS, and Winchester Rangers.

So, now that you have a shotgun, I guess we can expect to see you at the PNTC 3-Gun matches, right?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    For birdshot, just avoid the cheap promo shells. I use B&P Classic or Winchester AA #7.5 sporting clays loads. On stages with a lot of close clay targets, I'll sometimes use Fiocchi Interceptor spreaders.

For slugs, you'll probably have to do some testing to determine what your gun likes. I've pretty much settled on B&P low-recoil 1oz. slugs, but I've also had good results with Fiocchi Aeros, Federal PB127LRS, and Winchester Rangers.

So, now that you have a shotgun, I guess we can expect to see you at the PNTC 3-Gun matches, right?
    Those B&P are scary accurate in my 930, run 100%, and shoot softer than birdshot.

Chris,
    Thanks for the great info on ammo for the shotgun.
    Hope to see you out there. My weekend schedules don't always match up. I am trying to prepare for the ShootHouse Shootout 3-Gun/IDPA Oct 12-13 in Moyock, NC.
    --- ShootHouse ShootOut IDPA and 3-Gun Match October 12-13, at Academi, Moyock, NC. Registration Aug 1-Oct 1 at http://www.ncrr.net/index.php?option...09&It\emid=249 $135 IDPA, $35 3-Gun, $150 Both. Hosted by NCRR. Jeff Koke, MD.

You going?

I added a side-saddle to the 930 and a 4-round belt clip so that gives me 10 rounds for reloading. What's your reload technique? Weak hand? Load-2? Strong Hand?

Having shot sporting clays a lot I am proficient at shooting shotgun, but shooting my AR-15...feel like a beginner. Looking to buy a 1-4x24 optic for it (it currently has a 1x-red dot). What do you use?

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post

I added a side-saddle to the 930 and a 4-round belt clip so that gives me 10 rounds for reloading. What's your reload technique? Weak hand? Load-2? Strong Hand?

Having shot sporting clays a lot I am proficient at shooting shotgun, but shooting my AR-15...feel like a beginner. Looking to buy a 1-4x24 optic for it (it currently has a 1x-red dot). What do you use?

Thanks,
    Cody
    I haven't shot any IDPA 3 gun, but for most outlaw matches I would want to be able to carry more than 10 shells. I've done both traditional weak hand and load-two strong and weak hand. For ease of learning, load-two is the clear winner. I prefer load-two strong hand because it brings the gun in closer and is easier to do moving in any direction without breaking the 180.

For rifle optics, the Swarovski Z6i is still the best 3 gun optic, but the Vortex Razor II is also very good at a much lower price. If both are outside your price range, the Burris Mtac/Tac30 is a good lower priced option.

I reload quad strong-hand, out of AP Customs (much preferred) or Taccom holders. IMO, but the deuce and quad shotshell holders work better mounted on a vest than on a belt.

For outlaw 3-gun (by the way, why is it still called 'outlaw?') you're going to want at least 12-16 shells on your person, at a minimum. I'd also cast a critical eye at the sidesaddle. If it works for you, great, but I've seen shotgun sidesaddles get in the way of other, faster loading techniques.

Josh is right about the Swarovski Z6i, it's the best 3-gun rifle optic you can buy. The Vortex is nice too, but heavy, and doesn't have the bright center dot of the Z6i. If I had to replace my Z6i, I'd get a Leupold VX-6 Multigun.

Let me check on the Shoothouse Shootout - it might conflict with plans to take the niece and nephew to Disney World. I'd like to shoot it, I haven't been down to BW in a while.
    -C

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    For birdshot, just avoid the cheap promo shells.
    No joke. Had a guy on our squad last weekend whose Benelli tore the base off a Federal promo shell and left the plastic hull in the chamber. It's a good thing the round behind it couldn't shove it all the way into the forcing cone or things could have gotten really exciting.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

We are looking at switching 25yr old 870s for 590s. I tried to push for 930s but was shot down. Any thoughts re that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    We are looking at switching 25yr old 870s for 590s. I tried to push for 930s but was shot down. Any thoughts re that?
    Mmm. I've seen plenty of 930s get run hard with good results. OTOH, I've seen and heard of enough issues with the 930, that I'd hesitate to recommend them for department issue.

The only self-loading shotguns I'd recommend for general police issue are the Benelli M2 Tactical and the M1014.
    -C

Thanks for the input Chris.

User Tag List