Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe- "full reset"?

Paul Howe- "full reset"?

I just watched a video on Panteao Productions' website with Paul Howe, and in it he says, and I quote: "At my school I teach a full reset, not a short reset"..."I've found that short resets can lead to inadvertent double-taps." He doesn't go into any further detail about what he defines as a full reset and a short reset. I'd post a link, but you have to be a subscriber to watch it.

What is he referring to here? All I can think of is that he's advocating letting the trigger up beyond the 'click' of the reset point to where the trigger can't move any further. Is that correct? If so, is that something other instructors advocate?
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Yes. That is the way to do it.

There is a good interview with Rob Leatham where he discusses trigger reset and its irrelevance when shooting at speed (starts at 2:37): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqhSSiU_j8. It is bizarre that if one of the best shooters in the world is clearly stating reset is not a concern when shooting, why do so many people get so worked-up about it???

He can state that and do that because after hundreds of thousands of rounds in practice and many times that number dry firing he's developed a technical skill that for many reasons you or I are not likely to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

There is a good interview with Rob Leatham where he discusses trigger reset and its irrelevance when shooting at speed (starts at 2:37): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqhSSiU_j8. It is bizarre that if one of the best shooters in the world is clearly stating reset is not a concern when shooting, why do so many people get so worked-up about it???
    +1. Now a much longer reset than I'm habituated to did cause me consistent issues with BHPs when my volume shooting was 1911s and Glocks. But "tactile" or audible reset has not been a big issue to me. When I ran 2400 rds through a M&P Pro9 in the middle of years of Glock shooting the difference in reset characteristics did not factor in at all.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    He can state that and do that because after hundreds of thousands of rounds in practice and many times that number dry firing he's developed a technical skill that for many reasons you or I are not likely to achieve.
    This begs the question; Then what does worrying about reset do for the less skilled shooter?

I would argue nothing. In a combative scenario I know of two cases where "trigger freeze" occurred due to the person, in both cases cops caught in a gunfight, failing to let the trigger out enough to get the next shot off.

"Feel" and reset are two of the things that people worry so much about that should just be ignored.

I think it is very gun dependent and part of learning trigger control on various pistols. The key for me is to start training my brain where the reset point is and then try to use it efficiently. 1911's are at one end, Revolvers at the other. Many somewhere in between. It is why its a good idea to sort of stick with one system (and I am a huge violator of this, but I'm always trying). I have a hell of time just picking up a BHP and doing any good with it. SPend a few weeks, and it is workable. The more I shoot the LEM, the better I am getting on it. The use of a good reset was REALLY a big issue with our DA/SA guns to make them far more workable.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

He can state that and do that because after hundreds of thousands of rounds
    Have to disagree with that. Had a quick class with a just ETS'ed HSLD guy and he got one newish shooter doing a full reset on a G23.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I'm racking my brain trying to remember who said this, but I recently read or watched on of the more well respected instructors not advocating the short reset as they believed that it would inevitably lead to the shooter pulling the trigger before reset (short stroking or "trigger freeze" as Origami iAK mentions below).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 10-08-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Riding the link seems like a "fine motor skill" to me.

I doubt you will be consciously doing it in a fight but he habit of short stroking the trigger (riding the link) in practice does nothing to enhance an incident shooting because you have all kinds of time to do a full reset if you are riding your sights on every shot.

When I slap my trigger it slows my splits a bit (fatigue) but does not affect accuracy in a noticeable way at < 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    So if you're shooting an LEM gun you should let the trigger all the way out? That doesn't make much sense to me. And why would things like the APEX reset kit, or the SIG SRT trigger system be so desirable if the reset point is irrelevant?

Just curious, not trying to argue.
    Last edited by F-Trooper05; 10-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

User Tag List