Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I'm sure it works as advertised, but WHY???

The recoil impulse of a .30 Super 100 gr bullet at 1,250 fps is about 92% that of a 9x19 Para 124 gr @ 1,100 fps out of a short barrel. This basically means that barrel+slide mass have to be pretty close too in a recoil operated gun, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

To gain a minuscule amount of sectional densitiy and one extra round, and perhaps a little lighter gun?

Hard pass for me, and I don't see it surviving in the market.

That's the $64,000 question.

Evidently, ATK's ''bean-counters'' and marketing department believe the .30 Super to be a viable offering. While the .30 Super's terminal performance generally matches that of the 9mm, there will need to be enough demand to keep it on the market. Hopefully, ATK was wise enough to allocate (and make sure that they can afford to dedicate) plenty of resources to this new venture. Otherwise, with the current industry-wide inability of ammunition production to keep pace with demand, this new offering may very well die on the vine.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-08-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

This entire experiment really does make me want a modernized 7mm / .25 cal round loaded to contemporary pressures, in order to revive the entire class of Baby Browning like mousegun designs but built around terminal ballistics that actually have credible performance envelope for the unobstructed frontal shot / typical self defense scenario. Since we all accepted this was something we could live with when stepping down to .380 ACP or J frame lifestyle.

Granted, I have likely more interest in NPE & holdout guns than most; having even for a time carried a Beretta .32 ACP overseas where tradeoffs (and local availability) dictated...

So if I understand correctly this cartridge offers more "blast" with about the same recoil as 9mmP, but with a smaller wound channel, and less ammo availability, all for the benefit of an extra round or two?

Hmmm.......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    So if I understand correctly this cartridge offers more "blast" with about the same recoil as 9mmP, but with a smaller wound channel, and less ammo availability, all for the benefit of an extra round or two?

Hmmm.......
    Don't forget to add; it's got the word "Super" in the name!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’m sure at some point the .32acp or 5.7mm with new powders and bullets will become the “in thing”.
    Quoting myself from the 10mm defensive ammo thread as an “I told ya so!”.

IMHO rifle cartridge development could have stopped at the 8x57mm and handgun cartridge at 9mm and we could have all just learned marksmanship and tactics. But then the gun/ammunition companies wouldn’t have the profits from selling new vital stuff like the .243WSSM, .45GAP, or 6.93mmLoudenboomer Extra Long Range Magnum.

As with all new cartridges, articles will be written, guns will be bought, ammunition performance will be assessed and credit cards will be melted. Then everyone will go buy another Glock 19ish 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Don't forget to add; it's got the word "Super" in the name!
    One of my first command officers used to tell me: ''If you are going to reinvent the wheel, you have to give it a 'catchy' name so they'll buy into it.''

I'll not be getting rid of my 9mm pistols anytime soon. Not 'catchy' enough.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    ''If you are going to reinvent the wheel, you have to give it a 'catchy' name so they'll buy into it.''
    "Super" indicates higher pressure. Instead of the generic "carry" label, they should have hinted at a smaller than 9X19mm size cartridge. Also, Federal should have highlighted the cartridge's greatest attribute - greater magazine capacity. Add in some hip spelling and we could have the 30 Super Ultra Xtra or .30 SUX

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Yep, pretty much…….
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Hmmm.......
    Don't forget profit potential for Vista Outdoor.

Lucky Gunner currently has Blazer 9mm for 34 cents a round and Tula for two cents per round cheaper.

Only thing you can guarantee with this round, is that CMMG will make an AR chambered in it.

User Tag List