Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock shooting -- rolling the trigger

Glock shooting -- rolling the trigger

Recently, I have made a big performance gain in shooting the Glock, which I attribute to consciously rolling the trigger through like a DA revolver. It has helped, for example, not just my two head shots and body splits on the FASTest, but shots on the two inch dot at 10 yards fired more deliberately.

Are others consciously rolling the trigger like this when shooting the Glock?

My best answer is that I try to, using whatever takeup/creep/give there is with a Glock trigger as a substitute for a true roll a'la DA and, to a somewhat lesser extent, LEM. I think it is very helpful in avoiding trigger snatch and anticipation. I still think that Glock is more of crush-through trigger that a rolling one.
    I find it telling that all aftermarket Glock trigger makers have tried to emulate a 1911-like pull, and nobody really have looked into coming up with a short but distinct junk-less roll.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Recently, I have made a big performance gain in shooting the Glock, which I attribute to consciously rolling the trigger through like a DA revolver. It has helped, for example, not just my two head shots and body splits on the FASTest, but shots on the two inch dot at 10 yards fired more deliberately.

Are others consciously rolling the trigger like this when shooting the Glock?
    This will sound kind of ignorant but: are you rolling the trigger through the entire range of motion rather than letting it out only to reset? And are you using a "normal" Glock trigger or something like the NY1 spring?
    Just got a 317 based partly on your experience with it improving your Glock trigger control, so I'm trying to figure out how it all fits together.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Minus connector, otherwise stock trigger.

Instead of taking the trigger up, working thru the creep, and breaking the shot, I am pulling through in one motion, flipping after the shot, and pulling through again as one continuous motion.

Minus connector, otherwise stock trigger.

Instead of taking the trigger up, working thru the creep, and breaking the shot, I am pulling through in one motion, flipping after the shot, and pulling through again as one continuous motion.
    Gotcha, thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

My Glock shooting improved after reading a LAV comment on thinking of the G trigger as a revolver. It helped a buddy of mine as well.
    I think a Glock trigger feels deceptively similar to a single action and almost encourages you to try to make it break "right now!", but, the fact that you are putting energy into the striker through the pull essentially dictates that one "steer" the gun throughout the pull to have the best results.
    YMMV

Three range sessions in a row, focusing exclusively on rolling the trigger, took my average FASTest time from 5.0 - 5.4, with just the occasional sub 5, to every single one 4.4 - 4.8. My wife is focusing on rolling the trigger through in one continuous motion as well, as I am seeing her follow-up shot speed improving dramatically.

Today it rained hard all day, and was in the high 40's, but we squeezed in a session on just steel. Two things stood out. First, too much shooting at 10 yards and in, makes it easy to get in the habit of looking at the front sight and target together, where a steel at 20 yards and out cures that right away. Second, rolling the trigger at 35 yards on an 8 inch steel works, but requires a smooth press out, to give you time to refine the sights and work the trigger. It feels much less tiring shooting low probability shots rolling the trigger as opposed to taking out the slack, working through the creep and trying to smoothly break the shot. I would like to try Dot Torture at 10 yards soon, rolling the trigger, to gather more data. Doing it the old way, a whole Dot Torture at 7 was exhausting, trying to stage a Glock trigger.

Shooting my Glocks like a revolver is how I finally learned to shoot them almost as well as my 1911s'. I too made the mistake of trying to shoot them like a 1911 when Glocks came out. I still feel like I'm shooting them slower, but the timer doesn't lie. Picking up a Gen 4 Glock 19 I won as a random prize today I'm happy to say.

Site Supporter

Today it rained hard all day, and was in the high 40's, but we squeezed in a session on just steel.

Pardon the drift, but coming from a Texan who is dealing with high temps over 104 every day for about the past 10 days (and no rain for weeks), where in God's name are you having 40 degree temps and RAIN???
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    where in God's name are you having 40 degree temps and RAIN???
    AK...

User Tag List