Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Hmm, ok, so what was the pause for?
    Comic relief.

Seriously, all I can tell you is that I felt like I failed to reset the trigger. Playing with the gun in dry fire right now, I can literally take my palm off the gun by about an inch and just the slightest bit of pressure from my hand is still enough to allow the hammer to drop when the trigger is pulled. I honestly cannot see how my grip could be adequate to keep the gun from falling but somehow not engage the grip safety.

nice, I lol'd.

For me it's not not being on the grip safety that is the issue, it's pushing up on the beavertail portion of it while shooting that causes me issues. It looked like that is what happened in the video just from the way you moved your hands and such. But obviously you have a better idea about what actually happened than I do, I guess this sort of proves why video replay isn't allowed for making calls in IPSC/USPSA.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Despite having tuned grip safeties on them, I have had to pin all my 1911 pistols to assure they go bang when I intend them to.

We are diminished
    Don't know what to say... I've never had problems running 1911 grip safeties.

I've started putting the test gun through the 2,000 Round Challenge without meaning to. Simply out of habit I forgot to clean the gun after it's all-day shoot 'n bake session in the heat and humidity of Culpeper VA, and put another 700+ through it today without so much as adding a drop of oil. With only 363 rounds to go to finish the (inadvertent) test I think I'll let it ride. Then I'll give it a decent once over before practice Friday and another before the Givens class this weekend.

Gun still hasn't skipped a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    In defense of the HK and Glock, they didn't get $1k of hand fitting and testing before leaving the shop.
    yeah sure but those are just the facts of the platform and how it is made. 1911s are made from machined parts that have to then be fitted modern poly guns are made from stamped and cast parts that are put together in basically an assembly line. Your confusing cost with quality.

Sure you can buy a $500 gun that runs or a $2000 gun that runs the point is that both of them are made right. Personally I think too much stock is put into price when what we are talking about are weapons that should perform as the operator intends if that intent is a reliable gun with moderate accuracy and a fire control group that makes bullets fire then any poly gun can do that (some better than others). If the intent is a reliable gun with unequaled accuracy and the best fire control group of any pistol ever then your going to have to pay more for that.

The interesting question to me is one that comes up with my friends allot, Why has no one designed a modern auto pistol with loose tolerances and 1911 trigger system? I know Wilson makes the SpecOPs 9 but that is still essentially a custom built piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    haters are freaking out right now

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    The interesting question to me is one that comes up with my friends allot, Why has no one designed a modern auto pistol with loose tolerances and 1911 trigger system? I know Wilson makes the SpecOPs 9 but that is still essentially a custom built piece.
    I have wondered the same thing many times.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I have wondered the same thing many times.

J.Ja
    Me three. Even if you didn't use the exact same system, seems that someone would have come up with a way to duplicate the feel in a modern pistol with fewer parts and requiring less fitting (for lack of a better word).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Me three. Even if you didn't use the exact same system, seems that someone would have come up with a way to duplicate the feel in a modern pistol with fewer parts and requiring less fitting (for lack of a better word).
    Yup. Start with a sliding trigger instead of a swinging trigger and you are already halfway there to the "glass rod break".

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Don't know what to say... I've never had problems running 1911 grip safeties.
    Me, neither. I can only conclude that some people's hands just have geometry that isn't compatible with the GS.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG
    I've started putting the test gun through the 2,000 Round Challenge without meaning to. Simply out of habit I forgot to clean the gun after it's all-day shoot 'n bake session in the heat and humidity of Culpeper VA, and put another 700+ through it today without so much as adding a drop of oil. With only 363 rounds to go to finish the (inadvertent) test I think I'll let it ride. Then I'll give it a decent once over before practice Friday and another before the Givens class this weekend.

That CCA 1911 I had at AFHF needed a whopping four drops of FP-10 to go a thousand rounds. The idea that a well-built 1911 needs to be fussed over like an SU carburettor in order to keep running is a little overblown.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List