Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First shots with Gen 4 G26

First shots with Gen 4 G26

"Broke in" a new Gen 4 G26 this morning. I am increasingly finding use for the 26 lately and since I'd had good luck with the Gen 3 G26 I decided to give the Gen 4 version a try. I much prefer the grip texture and mag release on the new version. I have found many occassions where the G26 conceals much better than a G19.

It's "test fire" cases were dated Feb 3, 2012 and it has the updated ejector. 170 rounds fired exhibted strong and consistent ejection. (side note: it also successfully ejected when fired without a magazine. FYI, some insist these guns won't do this.)

Blazer 124 grain 50 rds
    Blazer 115 grain 100 rounds
    124 grain +P Gold Dot 5 rds
    Hornady 115 gr 10 rds
    Federal 135 gr +P bonded 5 rds

I'd intended to shoot another 100 today but unexpectedly I was offered a Gen 4 G35 and a full ammo can to check it out. I ran 150-200 through it and it was impressive. Easy to manage recoil and flat handling. No malfunctions. Good accuracy.

Back to the Gen 4 G26: at this link is a picture of three targets all fired offhand. A 4x6 from 15 yards, a paper plate from a paced 70' and a paper plate on which I was timing shoot 1 reload 1 with the new G26 from concealed AIWB with a FIST holster. The first hits aveaged around 1.8 and the reload/2nd shot ave around 2.40 as marked on that plate. I was trying to make a good hit on both and I was happy how easy it was to get a good hit pretty quickly. The reloads went fairly smoothly here.

I also tried two FASTs getting one clean in 6.10 with a stuttered mag insert another clean over 7 with a double stuttered insert. LOL I'll order a Glockmeister grip plug pronto. About a month ago managed a 5.69 clean (concealed) with the Gen 3 26 and that really got my attention about what these smaller guns can do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7803618...in/photostream

The Gen 4 G26 came with a dot connector that felt pretty good. But I just had to change it out to a OEM minus before even shooting today. It may be lighter, but not by much. It doesn't feel as even and clean as it was in factory configuration though. I may try one of the LWD minus connectors I've got in the spare parts to see it it smooths thing up some. I'd hoped to keep it GSSF ready. Might end up back with the dot.

I like these subcompacts very much but I am not one that outshoots my G17 with one that's for sure.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Kaipnn

ETA: sorry my daughter got ahold of my phone and this post was open in Tapatalk. I don't see a delete option...
    Never mind me, just validating your sig line
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

After taking note of TLG's performance with his Gen 4 26, a few months I bought one. At 25 yards, the 26 outshoots virtually every M&P 9 I own. I carry a 17 or 19 magazine as my spare, and think the extra grip of the longer magazine improves shoot ability, which would be a good thing if you needed a reload. In my RH Shaggy, you almost forget the 26 is on, and I recently bought a LH Garrett Industries Super Slim, for possible use as a BUG. Mine still has the dot connector and feels acceptable for its role.

As an aside, I recently shot a Gen 4 G35, and with a Warren standard height front sight, it shot high for me -- would need a .235 height to zero POA/POI.

I will try out a .235 tall Warren front next weekend on this 26. It's POI is a bit high as well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Nice report. Glad to see more good news about 2012 gen 4's!
    I really like the glockmeister grip plug myself.

I think I'm also going to stick with the dot connector on my 19. The more I dry fire, the more I get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Kaipnn

ETA: sorry my daughter got ahold of my phone and this post was open in Tapatalk. I don't see a delete option...
    Never mind me, just validating your sig line
    Man that's too funny.

Todd's rationale that a G17 and G26 were a more efficient combo for a wider span of concealment requirements was interesting and somewhat counter most conventional wisdom that exalts the versatility of the G19. And I've certainly agreed with that; carrying a G19 more than any other for many years and having two Gen 3's 19s and a Gen 4 19 currently.

Then DocGKR wrote up a superb class AAR about a Kyle Defoor class and IIRC mentioned Kyle's observation that shooters perform about 11% (?) better with a 17 than a 19. I thought, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Over the past couple of years shooting much more demanding drills (almost all of which picked up for PT/PF) and I've seen very starkly how much better I perform with a 17 vs a 19 when the precision component is amped up dramatically.

So, I want to now see how close I can get to G19 performance with a 26.

Congrats!
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Thanks for the report, I'm trying to decide between a Gen4 or Gen3 26 myself. They seem to mostly be running fine, my concern is getting consistent trigger feel between it and my Gen 3 G19 and G17 with a "-"/NY1 combo in them. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Then DocGKR wrote up a superb class AAR about a Kyle Defoor class and IIRC mentioned Kyle's observation that shooters perform about 11% (?) better with a 17 than a 19. I thought, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Over the past couple of years shooting much more demanding drills (almost all of which picked up for PT/PF) and I've seen very starkly how much better I perform with a 17 vs a 19 when the precision component is amped up dramatically.
    Interesting. What's your take on how much of that is slide length/sight radius vs. the grip length?

User Tag List