Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal judge rules Maryland gun permit law unconstitutional

Federal judge rules Maryland gun permit law unconstitutional

Federal judge rules Maryland gun permit law unconstitutional
    Published March 05, 2012
    | Associated Press

BALTIMORE – A federal judge has ruled that Maryland's handgun permit law is unconstitutional.
    In an opinion filed Monday, U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg says a requirement that residents show a "good and substantial reason" to carry a handgun infringes their Second Amendment right to bear arms. He says it isn't sufficiently tailored to the state's public safety interests.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1oGdizbAz

The Second Amendment Foundation rocks!

http://www.saf.org/

Outstanding! Now we need to get this to SCOTUS before anyone retires...

Hopefully this is the same court New Jersey's suit is in front of. If so Jersey is not far behind.

ETA: Just Googled it, Jersey is in a separate district. It may take a tad longer.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 03-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I'm reserving my until policy changes.

P.S.- I hate these emoticons.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Where's all this common sense coming from all of a sudden?

Hooray!

Since the ruling has not been stayed pending appeal, I'm going to put my application in this week.

-C
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Since the ruling has not been stayed pending appeal, I'm going to put my application in this week.
    As a relative simpleton.... I don't have much idea what this means.

Should I be putting in my application now as well? Or waiting for some other news? Or...... what.....?

When you submit your application, are you just going to leave the section blank that asks for "good and substantial reason"? Or will you write a note about this case? Or what?

I rather wouldn't throw any money away (since application fees are non-refundable, even on denial), so what's the best course of action?

“People have the right to carry a gun for self-defense and don’t have to prove that there’s a special reason for them to seek the permit,” said his attorney Alan Gura, who has challenged handgun bans in the District of Columbia and Chicago.
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...onstitutional/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Hooray!
    I believe they have 30 days to appeal. Not to be overly negative, but a suspension of application processing wouldn't surprise me at all. And not to be overly optimistic but Judge Legg's wording, that this was a simple decision, doesn't bode well for an appeal.

It's a good day, as this speaks directly to outside the home, which Heller did not. But, it isn't over.

User Tag List