Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Best aftermarket barrel to improve accuracy in a Glock 19/17?

I know some guys that did some very controlled and professional testing and gained 30% accuracy with the KKM over stock.

My POI did not change on my KKM equipped G22s. I used a Lone Wolf in a 17 and it was about 3" left and 2" low from stock.

I don't think they do any finishing but you can have it melonited for a small charge by an outside vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    So what are the options for a threaded G19 barrel, aside from BarSto, OEM, and Lone Wolf?

I'm not necessarily interested in big aftermarket accuracy improvements. Just want to hang a can, and not have a shiny barrel (black is a must). Anyone with enough experience to beak down things like pricing, accuracy increases, drop in fit, etc?

I've handled the Lone Wolf, Glock, and BarSto. Glock was Glock, Lone Wolf seemed kind of long, and the BarSto (fitted by Irv) was beautiful. It was so tight, it was scary. But the owner had no issues running Blazer, Champion, and even low powered reloads. The cost of a BarSto fitted is pretty extreme.

Honestly, a Glock OEM threaded will be more accurate than I am. I'm no amazing pistol shot.

CQC45 - didn't know you were on here, dude. I'll have to make a "Red Dot vs 1-4x on 5.56 carbines" thread so we can hash it out. It's about to be optic time for a build.
    Ha yep. Not on here as much as the other site, but still try to make it over from time to time...alot of good content.

Anyways, I honestly think either Glock Factory is the way to go...watch LAV shoot a Glock factory barrel sometime (it's all I've seen him shoot), he will show you just how "inaccurate" they are lol. Having said that the BarSto are really good barrels, especially when fitted. They do offer Metric LH threading as well. You will probably see some accuracy increase, but for what you want to use it for I think the Glock Factory will be your best bet and by far the most reliable. I have not seen any POI shift from Glock factory threaded (either in my 17 or 19) and have not seen any with the Storm Lake threaded either in my G17 demo gun.

As far as ensuring the barrel is black (not an issue with the Glock factory obviously), there is a guy local to you who does very good work with milling RMRs onto slides along with special serrations...you may know of him . I believe he will melonite barrels for around $40 or so, but I would 2x check with him to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    JHC, unfortunatly Wilson doesn't offer a barrel for the 19 otherwise I'd consider it.

Look forward to range reports littlebowski and mizer67.

Thanks for the info Jon C! I'm think I'm either going to try the KKM or the Barsto.
    I finally received my fitted Jarvis barrel/slide and had a chance to do a little shooting this weekend with my Gen4 G17.

Unfortunately, in an extremely bad stroke of luck, right after I received the fitted barrel and factory slide back from Jarvis, the whole unit ejected from the package while I was trying to open it and I dented in and cracked the left rear corner of my slide in the fall. When attempting to straighten it out enough to get it on the frame, it only cracked worse, and eventually the corner of the slide broke off during dryfire.

So, I sent my slide into Glock and they replaced it for a $180 fee. With the replacement slide and Jarvis barrel (barrel which was fitted for my old slide, but still locking up tight with the replacement) I went to the range.

I'm out of practice shooting a Glock, having been shooting a SAO gun in the interim, but was able to turn in a 1.9" 10rd group with the Jarvis barrel @ 25 yards rested using my practice load. The best I could achieve using a factory Glock barrel for 10 rds @ 25 yards on average was a 2.5" group with the same load. This is all without searching for a load this barrel likes.

I'm convinced there's more in this barrel than I'm able to squeeze out of it at the moment. I was able to stack 5 rounds touching, forming a rough pentagon shape two times, but pulled several other shots that opened up those 10 rd groups to >2".

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    So, I sent my slide into Glock and they *sold me a new slide*.
    Fixed it for you.

In all seriousness, 10 round groups under 2" seem exceptional to me -- but I probably would have been content with 2.5", and would have denied myself your adventure.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Fixed it for you.

In all seriousness, 10 round groups under 2" seem exceptional to me -- but I probably would have been content with 2.5", and would have denied myself your adventure.
    I chipped a lug on my stock barrel and that made me want to replace it.

In truth, it probably didn't need replacing, but I figured if I was springing for a new barrel I might as well try a fitted aftermarket barrel just to see for myself if it made a significant difference. In my case, that's a ~25% improvement over stock, probably more.

However, group size itself doesn't tell the whole picture, the Average To Center ATC (or "roundness" of the group) is also significantly smaller with the aftermarket barrel. This also tells me my shooting isn't up to par, yet, as a few outliers ruin an otherwise excellent group.
    Last edited by mizer67; 07-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay to have the barrel fitted? Delivery time?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    If you don't mind me asking what did you pay to have the barrel fitted? Delivery time?
    I had Jarvis fit the barrel.

They charge $45 for the fitting and $18 for return shipping.

Door to door was ~4 weeks as they didn't have the G17 barrels in production at the time I sent the order, but do a run every 1-3 weeks.

Here's an example of my best of 2 10-rd groups from today with the Jarvis barrel, 1.4". The other was ~2.1".

Shot it back to back with the stock Glock barrel @ 25 yards for eval. I averaged 3.3" with the Glock barrel today. I have a higher POI with the Jarvis barrel vs. stock and my sights are slightly off since Glock re-installed them, all groups were right:

Last edited by mizer67; 07-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.

User Tag List