Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Best aftermarket barrel to improve accuracy in a Glock 19/17?

JHC, unfortunatly Wilson doesn't offer a barrel for the 19 otherwise I'd consider it.

Look forward to range reports littlebowski and mizer67.

Thanks for the info Jon C! I'm think I'm either going to try the KKM or the Barsto.

So what are the options for a threaded G19 barrel, aside from BarSto, OEM, and Lone Wolf?

I'm not necessarily interested in big aftermarket accuracy improvements. Just want to hang a can, and not have a shiny barrel (black is a must). Anyone with enough experience to beak down things like pricing, accuracy increases, drop in fit, etc?

I've handled the Lone Wolf, Glock, and BarSto. Glock was Glock, Lone Wolf seemed kind of long, and the BarSto (fitted by Irv) was beautiful. It was so tight, it was scary. But the owner had no issues running Blazer, Champion, and even low powered reloads. The cost of a BarSto fitted is pretty extreme.

Honestly, a Glock OEM threaded will be more accurate than I am. I'm no amazing pistol shot.

CQC45 - didn't know you were on here, dude. I'll have to make a "Red Dot vs 1-4x on 5.56 carbines" thread so we can hash it out. It's about to be optic time for a build.

I'd go with the OEM all day for hanging a can on. I like their LH metric threading much more for suppressor use, and trust their reliability and quality. It might save you hassles in the event of a warranty situation as well, I don't know for sure. Just thinking out loud...

The Lone Wolf and Storm Lakes are long, but that is to keep the cans from potentially hitting the frame when the slide is cycling and the barrel tilts, possibly impeding function. At least that's what I am told. My factory 19 threaded barrel works just fine with AAC TiRants and Evos.
    Last edited by Jon C; 06-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.

+1 for Bar Sto, expensive but worth it

I've also been considering an after market barrel for a while, but I just haven't yet decided if the juice is worth the squeeze for me at this point.

As a general thought, to help people get the most out of this thread, when stating one's personal experience with a particular brand of after-market barrel, it would probably be best to provide some of the following data points:

• What size groups were you shooting with the stock barrel?
    • What size groups are you now shooting with the after market barrel?
    • Are these freestyle or benched?

The above questions also assume the shots were taken at at least 20+ yards, preferably 25 yards or so on a B8 or other measurable target.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Am I out of my mind for believing that to be almost a line of crap? The stock glock trigger is more than reasonable, IMHO.
    Yes. Most if not all people will shoot a pistol with a good trigger more accurately than a pistol with a bad trigger. There is a lot of aftermarket trigger stuff on the market and there are a lot of shooters who buy it, myself included. Glock triggers can be much improved just by polishing all the internal parts and installing a "-" connector.

One of my shooting buddies just recently upgraded the trigger connector on his glock and the result was an immediately smaller group. from a 5 inch group at 10 yards with a substantial density of fliers, down to a 1-2 inch group with few or no fliers.

My observation has been that drop in barrels in a glock make little or no difference in accuracy, they only serve to add unneccessary tolerance to a highly functional system. I've seen maybe 2 people in the upper echelons of USPSA competition for whom it makes any noticable difference. And they would not carry those guns in the outside world because the fully supported chamber in the drop in barrels makes their gun drastically more sensitive to fouling. (we should all know that the hexagonal bore in the stock glock barrel makes it one of the most accurate and reliable factory barrels on the market. They should produce a 3-5" group at 25 yards if not better. I trust the hype because I've shot an 8" group with a glock at 25 yards unsupported, and that was the first time I'd ever fired a glock.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkard View Post
    One of my shooting buddies just recently upgraded the trigger connector on his glock and the result was an immediately smaller group. from a 5 inch group at 10 yards with a substantial density of fliers, down to a 1-2 inch group with few or no fliers.

My observation has been that drop in barrels in a glock make little or no difference in accuracy, they only serve to add unneccessary tolerance to a highly functional system. I've seen maybe 2 people in the upper echelons of USPSA competition for whom it makes any noticable difference. And they would not carry those guns in the outside world because the fully supported chamber in the drop in barrels makes their gun drastically more sensitive to fouling. (we should all know that the hexagonal bore in the stock glock barrel makes it one of the most accurate and reliable factory barrels on the market. They should produce a 3-5" group at 25 yards if not better. I trust the hype because I've shot an 8" group with a glock at 25 yards unsupported, and that was the first time I'd ever fired a glock.)

They can make a difference if fit correctly , and here is a great post on the results here:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98542

Wow, thanks for the great post.

It's nice to see some hard data on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    They can make a difference if fit correctly , and here is a great post on the results here:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98542

I agree that Glocks left hand threading is superior.

It looks like KKM can thread it how you want it, but I haven't called to verify. So now at basically an equal price, how would it compare to the Glock OEM? I will most likely use the can for HD, secondary to an AR, so reliability is important. However, I'd still EDC the factory 19 barrel.

Is there generally a POA/POI shift when going from a factory to match barrel? What about going to the Glock threaded?

I didn't see it on the website, but will KKM oxidize the barrel black? Has anyone cerakoted a barrel yet? If so, do you skip coating the threads?

Sorry, lot of questions.

User Tag List