Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Push v. Pull

Site Supporter

Push v. Pull

I've always used rearward pressure on the foreend of a carbine when shooting "fast." I'm pretty sure I started doing this while using a vertical fore grip, but I still do it without any kind of fore grip or hand stop. This technique has always seemed somewhat counterproductive to me, since it adds force in the direction of recoil, like a traditional Weaver pistol grip, but the gun stays noticeably "flatter" when using rearward pressure compared to just holding the fore end up.

In this video, Jack talks about using forward pressure on the fore end to get better recoil control while shooting an SR25:

It's pretty easy to see that Jack is getting very good results with this technique. A 3x5 Half & Half is super impressive with a battle rifle.

Theoretically, this technique makes way more sense, the force is opposing the direction of recoil, and it is what I do when shooting a pump action shotgun already.

So, what do you do, push or pull, and why?

Josh,
    Like you, my application of rearward pressure on the fore end of a carbine is a carry over from my days of using a VFG on issued and personally owned weapons. Honestly, I'd never given it much thought, and felt that it didn't encumber rapid transitions from target to target. Since I'm back CONUS now, and don't shoot carbine much at all on my own time, I'll have to try out Jack's technique on the range and see how it works out for me.

It is very similar to the Rob Haught push-pull shotgun technique that works extremely well at taming shotgun recoil...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It is very similar to the Rob Haught push-pull shotgun technique that works extremely well at taming shotgun recoil...
    +1

Though I'm still not 100% comfortable with the technique, I too find it to work very well with a SG.

Site Supporter
    A side benefit of pushing with the support hand seems to be helping keep the weapon straight / minimizing unwanted lateral movement. Some of our long gun shooters tend to pull shots to their support side when pulling with both hands.

Very interesting. A similar method makes shooting a shotgun something I can do all day. Never considered trying it on a long gun.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Its a fairly common technique when shooting .308s, or so I thought; perhaps it's still not well known.

Well I'm glad somebody finally told me about this. LOL Very cool. Very impressive shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Very impressive shooting.
    Yeah, I have a hard enough time with a 4x6 Half & Half with a 5.56 gun.

Does anyone know if the technique works with bursts on a full auto?

User Tag List