Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Defoor 2-day Concealed Carry, Richmond, CA

AAR: Defoor 2-day Concealed Carry, Richmond, CA

Overview

Please be advised that this is the first AAR I've written covering the first formal open-enrollment course I've completed.

Kyle Defoor (KD4) has had my attention because I have been following him through social media and looking at his videos on Youtube and reading his stuff for several years now. This includes reading other course AARs about his materials.

The material appears to be well thought out and rational (no bullshit). I appreciate the fact that he carries himself in a relaxed manner and not someone who is trying to act "super-tactical." I can tell that in person he definitely does not have anything to prove. Again, I really appreciate that. Moreover, I will admit that as a motorcyclist, I like to support fellow motorcyclists as well.

Location and Students

The course took place in the main action pistol bay of the Richmond Rod and Gun Club in Richmond, CA which is just north of San Francisco. Weather was decently sunny both days and not too hot. Many students were LE, and safe to say that all of us in attendance were committed shooters (above average in skill from John Q. Public who shoots at the regular square range). Mostly everyone had Glocks 19 (myself included). There were one or two HK pistols and a polymer CZ, a Sig P229, and an officer's size single stack 9mm 1911. It's also fair to say that this was an AIWB heavy class as far as our holster choices as students. Lots of Eidolons and a few JM Custom AIWB rigs.

Course

Not only were these two days focused around shooting pistols from concealment, but KD4 did a wonderful job combining the pistol with other points about using your hands or a secondary weapon all together to end threats.

On the first day. KD4 up front explained to all of us that it WAS NOT about his way or the highway. He said that the stuff he did was what worked for him over his years of experience and rounds put into berms. He was always consistent in explaining the "why" of the things he did.

Our pistol time shooting at greater distances 25 and 50 yds in addition to covering contact and retention shooting. Shooting at 50 yds made me stop and reconsider and think about what a stock Gen 3 Glock 19 can do with 115 ball ammo (when held correctly).

Because of the fact that I've never taken another formal open-enrollment class like this one before, I can't say whether the drills we shot were super unique or routine for this type of class. However, I honestly don't think anything we shot was a waste of time. I've learned how to safely shoot on the move, cover distance, how to draw and turn in a tight space, etc etc. He had certain time standards which he explained were chosen after careful review of a bunch of different people shooting his drills over the years. His time standards seemed objectively challenging with even the better shooters or KD4 himself barely making the time. It's all good to go IMO.

We spent a decent amount of time going over secondary weapons (knives, flashlights, anything you can use to strike someone) and some hand to hand stuff as well. I mean, I already knew that the pistol isn't a one-stop solution, but it was helpful to see examples of when and how the secondary in fact becomes the "primary." I liked that we also spent time talking about different blade designs and how they excel or fail when used defensively.

KD4's coverage of the proper mindset makes the whole thing worth the price of admission (as a friend who had taken his class back east told me). I concur with said friend.

After covering pistol, combatives, and mindset, we also covered some medical things and what a decent IFAK (individual first aid kit OR trauma kit should have). We discussed enough to get one's head thinking about this stuff. I am actually very interested in taking another first aid course which covers this kind of stuff because it's all a big deal.

As an instructor, KD4 was courteous and did his best to keep an eye on all 14 of us. Being newer to this type of shooting environment, there were some times when I needed clarification and had no issue with KD4 walking over to me for further explanation. It goes without saying but given his experience and background, he really knows his shit.

We had plenty of breaks and chances to get some water and replenish ammo; these acted as good pauses to the curriculum. Boy, there were many things to cover in two short days!

Going forward, this course I just completed will the the one I judge others I'll take in the future. I've emphasized that I am newer at this type of shooting and training environment, but I do read a lot about pistol TTPs and discuss them with similarly minded friends (some who participate on this forum). Therefore, this class seemed very relevant and concurrent with the things being talked about today in the shooting world. Nothing outdated and all the old sacred cows have long been slaughtered.

I wouldn't hesitate to take another course under his tutelage in the future.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 04-24-2016 at 06:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add about medical

Nice job on the AAR, thanks for posting. Kyle has been on my list for a few years now, I'd really like to get to one of his classes next year.

Site Supporter
    2 relays of 7 or one line of 14?

One line of 14 students.

For certain things we split into 7 groups of two.

It's a good class-size to instructor ratio.

I also forgot to mention that Kyle had an assistant named Kevin who was also a solid guy.

I'll be taking his two day pistol class later this year and cannot wait.

Nice AAR. Sorry I missed out on this class. By the time I saw it was available, it had already filled up (heard it filled in like 2 days after Kyle posted it up). Hopefully he will be back next year but I've got Ben Stoeger this weekend and Mike Pannone in August to look forward to.

Nice AAR, bro. I told you that you'd learn a lot from Kyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in this class too. If you carry a gun or plan to carry one, you need to take this class.
    Last edited by Cowtown44; 04-25-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown44 View Post
    I was in this class too. If you carry a gun or plan to carry one, you need to take this class.
    hey i am taking this class in 2017. Was there anything in this class that was physically challenging, he talks about elevated heart levels in the class description.
    i am super out of shape just curious
    i like to party

Quote Originally Posted by davebee456 View Post
    hey i am taking this class in 2017. Was there anything in this class that was physically challenging, he talks about elevated heart levels in the class description.
    i am super out of shape just curious
    I've taken his basic pistol class, there was some jogging up and down range.

User Tag List