Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LCR or Bodyguard .38?

LCR or Bodyguard .38?

I'm looking for a smaller gun as an alternative to my Glock 19 for when its just not practical to effectively conceal it. While I've considered the option of getting a single-stack 9mm(G43, Shield) I feel they to big too pocket carry, and while much thinner not all that different in overall grip length (especially the Shield) which is the issue with the G19. And I don't trust .380s, either the cartridge or the guns themselves. That leaves a small .38 as my best apparent option. The LCR and Bodyguard .38 are both around my prce range and are both polymer framed, but other than the Bodyguard having a laser I don't know which is better. My only previous experience with revolvers is a Security Six so I don't have much to go on where snubbies are concerned. So between these two which should I go with? Or am I looking at this wrong?

There comes a time when a decision should be made. I've got an S&W 642 and previously had a couple of 442 & 640 models. I also currently have a 640Pro and a G43. Visualize handling one or the other and buy one. If you find you don't like it. Buy the other.

Right now, I think the only mistake you can make is not buying anything for your intended purpose.

Between the two? LCR. I dislike everything there is about the BG and I don't see what it offers over a 642/442 besides the novelty of having a cylinder that rotates the wrong direction, a stupid cylinder latch, awkward laser, and uncomfortable grips.

Is there a reason you aren't considering a 642 or 442?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The bodyguard skates on it's name, IMO. It's not in my top 10.

I like my LCR. The trigger is thumbs up. Accuracy is well within spec for it's intended role. My only whine and snivel is the lack of a high viz front sight on the .357. Not sure if they offer alternatives now, but it was not a factory option when I bought mine.

The reason I'm not considering the 642 or 442 is cost. I feel I would have to immediately change things like the grips and trigger to be able to use it effectively. I was already leaning toward the LCR do to it seeming like it would be easier to shoot. Bottom line is I want something that I will want to shoot when I go to the range, and not leave it at home till I'm in a situation that dictates I carry it, but otherwise don't use it. The Bodyguard interested me because of the laser, and I thought that might allow me to overlook some of the drawbacks because otherwise I was not impressed with it. I largely asked because the two seemed otherwise similar and was wondering if the Bodyguard had other things going for it besides the laser. It so far sounds like not. Could someone expand on why it is not a good option?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I like my LCR. The trigger is thumbs up. Accuracy is well within spec for it's intended role. My only whine and snivel is the lack of a high viz front sight on the .357. Not sure if they offer alternatives now, but it was not a factory option when I bought mine.
    Not sure if you can get them on the gun when you buy it, but options exist:

http://shopruger.com/Sights-Lights-L...products/3103/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    The reason I'm not considering the 642 or 442 is cost.
    Well… never mind. Not my place to be critical of a man's financial situation.

The polymer frame S&W Bodyguard revolver is a colossal piece of absolute shit. The LCR is leagues above it in all regards.

I prefer the "regular" J frame S&W snubbies because they are measureably smaller than the LCR in all dimensions, and IMO better in other areas as well. But you indicated one of those isn't on your dance card, and there are plenty of qualified folks here who like their LCRs, so buy one with confidence. Avoid that miserable plastic S&W snubbie like you would a dose of herpes. Seriously.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Not sure if you can get them on the gun when you buy it, but options exist:

http://shopruger.com/Sights-Lights-L...products/3103/
    Yeah, I asked about the night sight here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....it-for-the-LCR

I don't like the idea of changing the sight picture, so other than paint I'm just leaving the front sight alone.

I would buy the LCR over the "new Bodyguard". I had been carrying the original flat latch model 38 Bodyguard for years until I upgraded to a +P no lock model 638. Having looked at the new Bodyguard I felt S&W cheated the shooting fraternity with its hi-jacking of the name. The new Bodyguard was such a different animal with its manual of arms,the weirdly placed cylinder release and opposite rotation cylinder. It felt cheap in the hand and did not inspire confidence. On the other hand if I needed a handgun and someone put one in my hand I would be very happy to have it.

I was looking for another "J" not to long ago and went with a new no lock 642. I know the S&W "J" system so well that I never really considered a LCR. If I had spare money to play with I would get a pair, a .22 and a .38. Until I hit the lottery I will make do with my 638 and 642.

Hi-jacking the Bodyguard name was brilliant marketing. It's not going to fool Smith fans into buying one but "bodyguard" (same with "shield") are models that are MUCH easier to remember for the general public. Great way to move a subpar gun, I probably sold equally many BG38s as the J's because the same people who try returning opened boxes of 357 SIG because they bought it thinking it was 357 magnum have a real hard time remembering actual model numbers. Ruger started doing the same with their "Americans," and given the number of people I've had who couldn't remember whether they were looking for an LCP, LCR, LC9, SR9, LCP9, whatever, I'd say it's a wise choice for both companies.

/tangent
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List