Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Range Marksmanship

Short Range Marksmanship

Not sure if this belongs here or long guns, lol. But I thought some of you would like to see this, check out the thumb over bore grip Attached is a tid bit on SRM from the new Army Marksmanship Leaders Guide. This is just a small portion of the soon to be published updated Marksmanship Field Manual. AMU has been doing a hell of a job revamping old material and cranking out quality shooters and instructors recently. The new Master Marksmanship Instructor Course and Small Arms Weapon Expert course (SAW-E) is kick ass. It's amazing to have support from the top down now to teach modern techniques and create quality shooters even at the lowest level. A lot of this has been driven from the bottom up at the Marksmanship Symposiums, where all marksmanship trainers and unit leaders from every corner of the Army come together and discuss current issues, equipment, and TTPs in an open forum.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  41.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  47.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  16.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  45.3 KB
    Last edited by BES; 04-20-2016 at 12:51 AM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

Attachment doesn't work.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Unfortunately, I doubt the new materials will either. AMU has busted their was for twenty years trying to explain to the Army that their presumed data doesn't match actual and factual data. Sad, but true.

Can you see the pics now ?
    Last edited by BES; 04-20-2016 at 12:46 AM.
    " The true Soldier fights not because what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

See them now.

I predict that this will be as successful as Quick Kill training was...

...or, for that matter, we got a new CG at Ft Ord and suddenly the emphasis in Light Infantry doctrine changed from squad and platoon level to battalion and brigade level.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    See them now.

I predict that this will be as successful as Quick Kill training was...

...or, for that matter, we got a new CG at Ft Ord and suddenly the emphasis in Light Infantry doctrine changed from squad and platoon level to battalion and brigade level.
    I don't follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Unfortunately, I doubt the new materials will either. AMU has busted their was for twenty years trying to explain to the Army that their presumed data doesn't match actual and factual data. Sad, but true.
    I don't think I understand what you're saying, could you elaborate ?

Bonne Chance. AWG has been playing this game for a hot minute now. Always the same results. "Oh wow, this stuff is phenomenal, I can't wait to instruct the Co/Bn/Bde" Goes back to parent unit. "Oh gee, this looks too high speed for our soldiers. Tone it down and slow it down. They'll never get it. It's too complex for them." Or, of course, some freak at Range Control/Ops has a conniption thinking about iterations of hundreds of soldiers doing something other than qualifying or some beat to death "ready ups". AMU is a great asset, but this will wither and die like all the other initiatives. A training pamphlet and some modified courses won't change the culture.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    Not sure if this belongs here or long guns, lol. But I thought some of you would like to see this, check out the thumb over bore grip Attached is a tid bit on SRM from the new Army Marksmanship Leaders Guide. This is just a small portion of the soon to be published updated Marksmanship Field Manual. AMU has been doing a hell of a job revamping old material and cranking out quality shooters and instructors recently. The new Master Marksmanship Instructor Course and Small Arms Weapon Expert course (SAW-E) is kick ass. It's amazing to have support from the top down now to teach modern techniques and create quality shooters even at the lowest level. A lot of this has been driven from the bottom up at the Marksmanship Symposiums, where all marksmanship trainers and unit leaders from every corner of the Army come together and discuss current issues, equipment, and TTPs in an open forum.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  41.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  47.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  16.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  45.3 KB
    I don't know if it was related or not but my younger son's INF platoon has been shooting a LOT over the last year. All small arms, including the pistol. Like spending the day at it vs only qualifying and moving off the line.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I will say that, outside of smaller SOF units, there does seem to be at least more openness to extended and actual marksmanship training as opposed to just qualifying to fill out the tables in DTMS.

But, I can't make wide ranging proclamations. Only what I was able to do in my battalion. Having a constant company level deployment rotation of 9 months helps also. As, that organization will likely not shoot their ammo allocation during the FY and it allows you to plus up the unit in pre-mission training (PMT). The hard part is when everyone is at home station. But, group hardly ever shoots their entire allocation so asking for more is possible. And, at Hood, most of the armor units didn't focus on small arms training so getting a plus up was easier as well.

just one data point.

User Tag List