Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Weapons evaluation between firearms

Need help with Weapons evaluation between firearms

As the title suggest, I am looking for some suggestions in terms of weapon drills that I can run to evaluate a couple of my edc pistols. I have included a link to what I thought was a pretty good test http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...se+Training%29

I shot both very well and it's more of a toss up and looking for some ways to run then threw there paces.
    I would be open to other drills that you think are good, whether they be speed/accuracy or whatever you might use or recommend. Thanks

you can run the FAST drill (6 shots per run). or Bill Wilson's 5x5 drill (25 rounds per run). both of these are shot at fairly close ranges. for longer shooting, you could run stage 3 of the IDPA classifier (30 rounds at 15 and 20 yards). and if you have time and ammo, the full IDPA classifier. all have documented levels of performance, and you can track your and your pistols performance over time. pretty easy to find or make up score sheets you can put in your range bag.

FAST
    The Test (10 rounds, 10 seconds, 10 yards into a B8 at low ready)
    Half Test (10 rounds, 5 seconds, 5 yards into a B8 at low ready)
    Super Test (10 rounds, 15 seconds, 15 yards into a B8 at low ready)
    5x5
    Wizard Drill
    Dot Torture
    Defoor Pistol test no.1 & 2

I guess some of it would depend on how many pistols you are EDCing. Smaller back-up type guns are more difficult to shoot well and require more time and training to achieve even a modest level compared to a full sized pistol. The drills DAB mentions will have drastically different results shot with a J-Frame or M&P Shield than with a Glock 17.

Don't see any times for that one, so it seems like more pure accuracy like Dot Torture. Timed drills are really where the differences will appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    As the title suggest, I am looking for some suggestions in terms of weapon drills that I can run to evaluate a couple of my edc pistols. I have included a link to what I thought was a pretty good test http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...se+Training%29

I shot both very well and it's more of a toss up and looking for some ways to run then threw there paces.
    I would be open to other drills that you think are good, whether they be speed/accuracy or whatever you might use or recommend. Thanks

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    For picking between platforms I think that performance (especially if you have equal amounts of experience with both) isn't nearly as important as logistical/financial concerns.

I think most people (barring anatomical mismatches like small hands + berettas) can learn to shoot most platforms pretty reasonably well, the real question is can they afford to get that good. You might shoot 1911s very well but if you don't have the budget for .45ACP + the mechanical inclination to tinker with them and to keep them running properly, it's not going to work in your favor.

On the flip side, if you have tons of money but just find Glocks to be boring and unpleasant to shoot, you probably won't do very much practicing with them. So, I'd look into those more than anything, but if you have them both on hand its worth putting a few boxes through them to see how you feel. If the results aren't dramatically different in one way or another (as I suspect will be the case), go for the less expensive platform with the most aftermarket support and the most options for a variety of different models to fit your needs (i.e. Glock 17 for HD/matches, Glock 19/26 for carry, or something similar). Then buy a few examples of whatever you decide on, and enough mags + holsters + ammo to shoot the piss out of them.

Simple. Score "Master" on Tom Givens' Handgun Core Skills Test.

Here's a run I did in January with a Glock 26. I've since scored even higher (150ish), but wanted to provide you with an example and breakdown of the tasks.

80-100 = Very good, 100-124= Advanced, 125+= Master
    Target used IDPA, 5 points -0 zone, 3 points -1 zone, 0 points outside of that

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  55.2 KB

I went the route of buying a few Glocks and as much 9mm ammo I can afford. I'm about 1000x the shooter one year later for focusing on improving with the same pistol and using a shot timer.

Give this a run, I'd be interested to see where you score. GL!
    Last edited by GAP; 04-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Timed drills are really where the differences will appear.
    Yes, but greater familiarity with one platform can skew results. If you time yourself as you shoot a case of ammo through each pistol on the same drills, then you’ll probably find that by the time that the ammo is nearly gone, you shoot both of them about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    For picking between platforms I think that performance (especially if you have equal amounts of experience with both) isn't nearly as important as logistical/financial concerns.
    This.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks, good suggestions, this was exactly what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 04-12-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Two years ago I shot the IDPA classifier for record with a VP9 and scored 130.66 (sharpshooter).

Last year I shot a practice classifier with a 1911, and scored....130.66.

Exactly the same score, two different platforms.

Practice pays off.

User Tag List