Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've owned 17 handguns, and finally the first real 1911 is home to stay

Vending Machine Operator

I've owned 17 handguns, and finally the first real 1911 is home to stay

Colt 1991 Government (5" stainless basic 3-dot-sight model). Model O1091, New in Box.

After a lot of hemming and hawing on the Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripp sites, I decided to feed it with two stainless ETM HD/+P 8-rounders with aluminum baseplate. I briefly owned a pair of the standard ETMs with my $300 junker "get to know the platform" 1911 2-3 years back and was very impressed. They made even that thing run like a song.

Anyway, after owning a heck of a lot of handguns in my 7 serious years with the collecting and shooting, I finally own a 1911 for keeps. Very excited.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-12-2016 at 12:19 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Curious. What were the other 16?

Vending Machine Operator
    Still have most of them, I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to guns (super organized and can throw anything away in every other aspect of life, but I keep my guns).

5 Berettas, including multiple 92 variants, PX4, Cougar, still own all
    4 Sigs, including a P220, SP2022, P229, P6, still own the P220 and P6
    2 Glocks, G19 Gen 4 and G23 Gen 3, still own both
    1 HK, VP9, still own
    1 Walther, PPS M1, still own
    3 Smith and Wessons, 2 M&P 40s and a 642. Still own the M&Ps
    2 Colts, Python and Detective Special. Still own both
    1 Ruger, LCP, still own
    1 Rock Island GI .45 I got for $300 on a black friday sale, used it to learn the basics of the 1911, wanted a nicer one, sold it for the money I had into it to a nice young lady

Surely I'm forgetting a few, but those are the big'ns.

Wow, that's more than 16 more, isn't it?

I really gotta watch myself on gunbroker.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-12-2016 at 12:32 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I had a Colt 1991a1 for a time. The hammer chewed up the back of my hand so I took it to a local smith to get a beavertail and hammer put on. He f**king butchered that thing, I was pissed.

I own 17 serious 1911s. Good for you for finding the Alpha and Omega of handguns. May you stay addiction free. If not, buy them up like JMB was your uncle.

Site Supporter
    Enjoy.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I own 17 serious 1911s. Good for you for finding the Alpha and Omega of handguns. May you stay addiction free. If not, buy them up like JMB was your uncle.
    That makes me feel better about my 19 (some not so serious) 1911-pattern pistols. The 1911 just feels "right" in my hands. A few unusual ones.

Wilson Combat/Ed Brown

Travis Strahan

Baer Prowler III

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    As Ken Hackathorn would say when he discovers that you are carrying a 1911 "You sir are a true American"
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've been wondering when the pendulum would swing back in favor of the 1911.

I myself have been eyeing the models Colt released at SHOT this year. Just got to handle their 9mm gamer gun recently and will probably start with that if I ever get back to, you know, gaming.

Having Colt make 1911-pattern guns that I actually want will likely be the thing that draws me back to the 1911.

ETA:
    I want the Competition Pistol, the Combat Unit, and (if they'd just do it in an officer's frame and 4.25" barrel) Lightweight Commander. I'll take the latter two in .45 and the former in 9mm, thanks.
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-12-2016 at 08:44 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If I had more gun money/free time/etc etc I would certainly get into 1911s. As it stands I am sticking to Glocks for the time being, but in the future 1911s will definitely end up accumulating in my safe...

User Tag List