Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: u notch or square?

u notch or square?

Which rear sight configuration do you like? I am on the fence about u notch rears as I feel I often either hit high or low because it is easier for me to dip or lift the front sight.

Honestly I haven't really noticed much of a difference, either my sights are lined up when I draw or they're all screwed up and no U or square or trapezoid will fix my crappy skills

I think the U might be conducive to letting my brain think "meh good enough" earlier in the presentation (to my detriment), but that's purely spitballing with no data to back it up.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Right angles seem to work better with my brain
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I tend to prefer, and perform better with, square notches. I've run most of the major brands from 10-8, dawson, heinie, trijicon, warren etc...and seem to settle on the square notchs when available.

It tends to not matter much to me, but if I had to choose a preference, I'd choose the u-notch. I find that it typically gives me more sight picture to work with.

I prefer the u notch myself. I seem to be faster to target. Not really a big difference but my eyes like the u more. As far as slow bullseye shooting no difference to me. Biggest thing I have noticed is finding the right difference in width from front to back. Having too narrow or too thick of front post in the rear makes all the difference to me. And to people who have less or impaired vision.

My seventy year old eyeballs like a deep wide notch rear with a slim front like the Vogel sights.
    I like the Trijicon HD also.
    Both give lots of light around the front. Square or U doesn't matter.

I like the front post to jive with the rear notch. If I'm working just the top blades, I want everything square. If the front is a big round thing, I like u notch. If it's a square thing, a squared notch.

Where it gets fuzzier for me is on small tritium, gold bead, or small fiber front. I think I prefer the squared notch here, but not by a wide margin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bet a PF dollar that misses are ten times as likely to be from trigger control errors as compared to sight alignment errors between front and rear sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bet a PF dollar that misses are ten times as likely to be from trigger control errors as compared to sight alignment errors between front and rear sights.
    True, unless you're focusing on the bottom of the rear notch, in which case it's shape is still probably not the problem. :P

I haven't found the square vs U to matter much in practice, except:

One thing that I think does matter, is if you have a dot front sight, and the rear notch doesn't fit it right, and cuts off the bottom. If you've ever wanted to use an "eye of sauron" sight picture with factory Glock sights, instead of obscuring the bottom of the front dot, you know what I mean.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List