Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't believe we've done this yet: Idaho joins "constitutional carry" states...

I don't believe we've done this yet: Idaho joins "constitutional carry" states...

On March 25, Idaho Governor Butch Otter signed permitless concealed carry legislation which makes the Second Amendment the official carry permit for State residents 21 years and older.
    Open carry of a handgun for self-defense was already legal in Idaho and proponents of the permitless concealed carry legislation-Senate Bill 1389-argued that a law-abiding citizen openly carrying a gun ran the risk of breaking the law if his jacket, shirt, or other article of clothing inadvertently covered the firearm. SB 1389 removes this risk by recognizing the right to carry openly or concealed without a permit.

The bill passed the Senate by a vote of 27-8 and passed the House by a vote of 54-15.
    Senate Bill 1389 preserves the concealed permitting process for those who still want a license for the benefits of reciprocity with other States (ID "enhanced" permit has reciprocity with a hair more states than the much-vaunted, and used, UT permit).

Idaho now joins Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Montana, Vermont, Wyoming, and West Virginia in allowing open carry or concealed carry without a permit.
    The law abolishing the need for a concealed carry permit goes into effect in Idaho on July 1, 2016.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I think that permitless carry states now outnumber "heavily restricted carry" ones.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A friend of mine calls this "The Dope Dealer Relief Act."

In all seriousness, the libertarian side of me likes constitutional carry. The more practical side of me that is regularly horrified at the gun handling I see at gun shops/ranges feels like a little bit of training might be a good idea. How many of the people that will "constitutionally carry" can name all or for that matter any of the 4 rules?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

So how much training is good enough, BJJ?

(That's a rabbit hole of a question)

If it makes you feel better most of the folks you see at shops and ranges are only going to carry when they think they'll need the gun (as in, rarely) and their lifelong poor-gun handling habits aren't going to be changed by a mandatory check-in-the-box class either, so nothing's really going to change.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post

In all seriousness, the libertarian side of me likes constitutional carry. The more practical side of me that is regularly horrified at the gun handling I see at gun shops/ranges feels like a little bit of training might be a good idea. How many of the people that will "constitutionally carry" can name all or for that matter any of the 4 rules?
    I live in the original constitutional carry state, been doing it since 1797... In practice, this has been a non issue. Hell, there are plenty of cops who clearly couldn't name the 4 rules because they ND themselves taking their glocks apart... Besides, lets be real, the average ccw course is absolute garbage (not to disparage on the excellent ones). The notion that shooting 50 rounds (if that) at a silhouette target from like 7 yards is going to make you ready to hit the streets is ludicrous. Its a panacea for hand wringing politicians, nothing more.

That said, I'd love it if Vermont would adopt a permitting system in addition to constitutional carry, because as it stands, my reciprocity is only other constitutional carry states. I've explored getting a non resident permit from elsewhere for this very reason but have yet to do so.
    Last edited by VT1032; 04-11-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: can't grammar today...

In all seriousness, the libertarian side of me likes constitutional carry. The more practical side of me that is regularly horrified at the gun handling I see at gun shops/ranges feels like a little bit of training might be a good idea.
    Exactly my feelings. Clueless citizens, who THINK they know what they are doing, but really don't, is one aspect. Criminals now get a free pass, for the other.

It truly is a good/bad situation. I certainly don't have the answer, and rarely discuss it due to the immediate flare-ups by constitutional types who attack any thinking contrary to their own. But this is being considered in my state this legislative session… so its something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    ... their lifelong poor-gun handling habits aren't going to be changed by a mandatory check-in-the-box class either, so nothing's really going to change.
    And Lord knows THAT is true enough. A dilemma without resolution, eh?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Two of the states I've lived (and worked in gun stores) in, Georgia and Indiana, had no training requirement for a toter's permit. One, Tennessee, did. I could discern no appreciable difference in the gun-handling skills between the denizens of the three.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Training is a good idea. Libertarian's are allowed to say that the responsible thing to do is to get educated and trained.

How many of the states that have gone to shall issue or Constitutional Carry have fallen prey to the hysterically predicted "blood in the streets"?

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I live in the original constitutional carry state, been doing it since 1797....
    So, when you go to restaurants that give you the percentage of your age off on your birthday, do they pay you?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

So if you are a dope dealer, you already carry a gun, even though you are a felon or soon to be one?

I have a real issue with creating laws that affect the rights of law abiding citizens because of a few felons running around on the street. Get the felons off the street and then we don't have any issue anymore, do we?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List