Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any advantage to having non-black glock?

Any advantage to having non-black glock?

This may sound silly and this post is more impulsive than anything. I was inspired by El Cid's pics in the glock picture thread which showed every color glock. I confess I have 2 original gen 3 glocks in OD. The question is.... Is there any advantage to actually having a different color (and if so which color) besides cool factor? This question is for anyone and any scenario (concealed carry, agency, military, and etc.)

In the 5 min I have been thinking about it I have come up with:

1) easier to clean - it's a lot easier for me to see black carbon on a non-black gun so I know pretty easily it's all perfectly clean.

2) maybe less intimidating if comes accidentally unconcealed?

3) I don't think it has to do with pistols but with long guns they are less hot to the touch in the sun drenched all day training classes.

4) in the desert or forest maybe a brown/od/green could help with camouflaging yourself if you want that look

Other than that, I actually think black is better because if your concealment garment does come up, etc... The black will look more like a shadow then a gun. I could be wrong on all of this. Could be a fun discussion though.... Those glocks are pretty and I'm probably just looking for a reason to buy one!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.

If you have multiple identically setup guns, it's a quick visual indicator of which one you're using.

Also, "I think it looks cool" is acceptable.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

The original OD green Gen 3s were worth quite a bit more if/when selling but don't think that is the case anymore now that there are a ton of colors out there

My fde g26 more closely resembles my skin color in case my cover garment comes up.

#1 It looks bad ass.

#2 Heating up from sitting in the sun doesn't take very long so having a gun in something like desert tan would be nice in the summer.

#3 It looks bad ass.

No real advantage, some people just want a different color gun sometime.

My next glock will have an FDE lower for no other reason than "that's cool" factor.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

None whatsoever, IMO.

My tactical trivia recollection device seems to recall mention that a ninja black outfit/gun is easier to spot at night in a desert environment when viewed with night vision -than a lighter color. Could be pure nonsense, but I'm thinking someone here will know.

Black cloth, at least, does show up better -- almost glows, in fact -- when viewed at night through light amplification devices ("starlight scope".) That was the real reason the Army's "Universal Camouflage Pattern" has no black in it, just like the original "night desert" uniforms. (Which were designed to be worn over your regular uniform, and not just for desert use. IIRC, they got labeled a "desert uniform" as a cover during development, but since they were labeled that way that's all they got issued as. I think they'd fallen out of the system by Desert Storm, but I'm not sure, as I spent Desert Storm at Ft Lewis deactivating the 9th ID).

Anyway, I'm not positive that the principle applies to all black objects, or just certain textures.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List