Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for a new Patrol Sergeant

Advice for a new Patrol Sergeant

So on April 24th I leave the Detective Section and head back to Patrol as a Sergeant. Any pearls of wisdom from the LE guys out here? What are the do's and don't's that you guys have seen over the years? I have my own thoughts on the matter, but am curious to see what you guys have to say.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

It's simple ...... just be the Sergeant you always wished for when you were a slick-sleeve. :^)

Simple ain't always easy, though.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Welcome to the party. I don't know how long you've been out of patrol, or if you guys have a "Re-Entry" program like we do, but spend some time getting familiar with any policy or law changes that have occurred since you last wore the blue suit. A light touch and an approachable but professional manner goes a long way toward building trust in the beginning. Eventually you'll want to set your expectations with your guys, but spend some time getting to know them and the job before you start cracking the whip as a new supervisor. Be consistent and fair. Having favorites is a sure way to poison the watch. I don't know how long you've been on the job, but it always helps if you've got some time in to have built credibility. You know how cops are. Get out there and back your guys up on calls, but make sure you let them know you're not checking up on them (even if you are) but you're just there to help. Don't forget how your pen works if your guys get backed up on paper. I'm surd you've had a bunch of different bosses through the years. Hopefully you learned something from them. Now its your turn. Lead and TRAIN your folks. Finally, congratulations. Hope something here helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    It's simple ...... just be the Sergeant you always wished for when you were a slick-sleeve. :^)

Simple ain't always easy, though.
    Pretty much...

Just the easy common sense stuff - treat people like you want to be treated, and always with respect and try to maintain their dignity, and yours. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head that I've seen work well.

Get the files of the people who work directly under you (or that you are directly responsible for) and find out when their birthdays are, when their spouse and kid's birthdays are and preemptively give them those days off without making them pay for it, if you follow what I'm saying. One of my old timer Sgt's whose retired now used to do that, manpower be damned - "family is the most important thing a man has, if you show him you care about him and his family, he'll do good work for you." He was right.

Holiday requests always work by guy with most kids and/or most seniority, no exceptions.

Reward the bums, but reward the workers more.

Be completely approachable, tell them you will work with them and give everyone your cell phone number right away. They have a question, problem, complaint or want to shoot the shit, you should be the first person they come to, always, and they should know that.

Above all, please do not micromanage. It kill moral and makes everyone want to stop working.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Expect lots of this. 21 guys/gals on my shift. Only one has more than 5 years on the job.

Attachment 07074
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tanner; 04-06-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    So on April 24th I leave the Detective Section and head back to Patrol as a Sergeant. Any pearls of wisdom from the LE guys out here? What are the do's and don't's that you guys have seen over the years? I have my own thoughts on the matter, but am curious to see what you guys have to say.
    Congrats.

The same may be happening to me Friday...

JR1572

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Condolences. Err, I mean congrats. I guess. Actually why I don't take the sergeant's test.

I'd just ask you remember you got promoted, you didn't retire. Don't be a dick, but don't be a push over, and wait at least a month before starting your campaign for LT...

A few random comments:

Lead from the front and set the example for quality work. My guys hated it when I beat them to calls.

Learn and embrace the workable differences between leadership and management.

If the troops know you care about them, they will accept your discipline. In fact, when you do it right, many of your guys & gals will come to you promptly and divulge to you their mistakes without you asking. Use those opportunities to make them better.

Be consistent - they will tolerate your shortcomings if you're consistent in your expectations.

And always remember - in the absence of the carrot, there is only the stick.

Remember all those window to window talks you've had with co-workers about your supervisors? Don't do that stuff you complained about.

I finished up my career as a Captain, which was a Division Commanders position in my agency and admittedly a bit removed from real police work. How I got that far without knowing what ________ taste like is undeniable proof that God looks after folks that do the right thing no matter what. When I look back at some of the conflicts that put me at odds with the Bosses, there's no logical reason why I was not only retained, but promoted ...... several times.

Anyhow, I said all that to put my commentary into some proper context; My days as a Sergeant were without a doubt the best days of my LE career ...... enjoy and make the best of them.

Oh, and congratulations on the promotion.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    My days as a Sergeant were without a doubt the best days of my LE career ...... enjoy and make the best of them
    I have heard this several times over from administrators I respected. I try to take it to heart and keep everything I perspective. Someday in the not too distant future, these will be "The Good Old Days".

I was a Patrol Sergeant for 14 years before taking over our Canine Unit.

Breath... Relax... Repeat as necessary... Especially when dealing with your newer officers.

You no longer have a personal opinion, especially when talking around newer officers. "The Sergeant said..." Not you said...

Don't go around telling war stories about back in the day. Things were different back in your day. No one really cares, they're just being polite.

When you respond to the scene of a UOF incident, the first person you talk to is your officer. "The first words out of your mouth should be, "Are you ok?" Yes, you have to conduct an interview with the suspect. But go to your officers first.

Never ask an officer to do anything that you would not do. Especially if it's dangerous. Lead from the front. You can manage the incident from the front as well as from the rear.

In my agency, the command staff loves to use the words "manager" when referring to supervision. Bullshit. You manage a fixed object. You manage your check book, you manage your time, you can manage an incident. But you lead the people assigned to the incident that you are managing. You lead and inspire people. Be a leader, not a manager. First, foremost and always.

Being a leader and inspiring people doesn't happen over night. Don't go full whammo on your first day.

If a decision needs to be made by a Sergeant, make one. When asked for a decision on the radio, make one. Even if it's wrong, make a decision. "Hmmm..." is not an appropriate response from a leader.

Do not be afraid to admit you are in error. You won't lose the respect of the officers nearly as quick as if you make a mistake and deny it. Grass is green. If you accidentally say that grass is pink with purple poke a dots, don't stick to the, "I'm the Sergeant and grass is pink, damn it!" theory...

Don't just show up on a radio run when there's a problem. Show up just to cover over. Cover over on a traffic stop. Get your people used to seeing you during the good times and not just during the bad. Otherwise being told to stop by your office ends up like being sent to the principles officer as a kid.

Never supervise by emotion. If an officer pisses you off, walk away. You comment and correct behavior and actions. Not the person. Never say, "You're f*ck'n an idiot". Say something like, " The choice you made probably wasn't our best course of action, wasn't it?"

You're not their friend. You're not their buddy. If you do it right, you'll be more like their big brother or an Uncle. If you do it right, your people will literally go to the gates of hell, and kick the door in for you. If you do it right, it can be the most rewarding part of your career.

If you do it wrong, your people will stay up at night thinking of ways to get even with you.

You are in a unique position in life in that your starting over with a blank slate. What you do with it is up to you.

Good luck...

User Tag List