Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Mags, Traveling, and California

Glock Mags, Traveling, and California

Next month I'll be taking a cross-country trip which, among other places, will put me in California for about a week. I'd like to be armed while on the trip.

I'd like to take a Glock 19 with me, simply because it's what I'm most comfortable with. However, given that I live in America, I only own 15+ round magazines for it. As I recall the OEM 10-round mags were supposed to be less than reliable. Is that still the case? If yes, would a decent alternative be something like the ETS factory 10-round mags or an OEM full-capacity magazine that's been blocked to 10 rounds?

While we're at it, what is the best practice for traveling with the gun through California? I assume following FOPA's guidance and keeping the gun locked and unloaded in my trunk while driving is the way to do it. The gun would be a Gen 4 G19 for what that's worth (doing some basic research, I don't *think* I run afoul of any roster concerns as a non-resident visitor).

Do the ETS magazines function reliably?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do the ETS magazines function reliably?
    If I had to GUESS, I'd say you could manage OEM reliability (meaning they are as good as the OEM 10 round mags).

Living in CA as I do, I haven't found the OEM 10 round mags for G19/17s to be unreliable. Though I have legally owned, pre-ban standard capacity mags available, the inability to repair or replace them has had me move the last few years to only using the 10 round mags in IDPA/USPSA and practice/training class use. Mine have hundreds of rounds through them and I have not (so far to date) experienced any issues related to them or their use.

As for any concerns about CA gun laws, I suggest heading over to Calguns.net for clarity on any questions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by MPG View Post
    Living in CA as I do, I haven't found the OEM 10 round mags for G19/17s to be unreliable. Though I have legally owned, pre-ban standard capacity mags available, the inability to repair or replace them has had me move the last few years to only using the 10 round mags in IDPA/USPSA and practice/training class use. Mine have hundreds of rounds through them and I have not (so far to date) experienced any issues related to them or their use.

As for any concerns about CA gun laws, I suggest heading over to Calguns.net for clarity on any questions you may have.
    How new are your 10 round mags? Have you tried JHPs in those magazines?

I have several I've been testing via use in IDPA matches, and the older mags I have so far are iffy with any flat nose or JHP ammo.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'm also about to head into CA for a couple weeks.

My current plan is to mail myself my 15 round VP9 mags. Then keep my HK and PPS M2 unloaded / locked up in a secure non accessible area of the truck.

I have all my ammo locked up in separate containers.

OP, if you find a good link on calguns.net, I'd be interested in following up if you find better info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm also about to head into CA for a couple weeks.

My current plan is to mail myself my 15 round VP9 mags. Then keep my HK and PPS M2 unloaded / locked up in a secure non accessible area of the truck.

I have all my ammo locked up in separate containers.

OP, if you find a good link on calguns.net, I'd be interested in following up if you find better info.
    It is my understanding no 10+ round magazines can be imported into the state by non uniformed folk, including mailing them.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It is my understanding no 10+ round magazines can be imported into the state by non uniformed folk, including mailing them.
    This is correct. Do NOT bring any magazines greater that ten round capacity into California, by mail or in any other way, unless you are law enforcement, and even that is iffy. That I am aware of the law, there is no distinction between CA LE and out of state LE which are covered by LEOSA. In fact in L.A. they just enacted an ordinance prohibiting even off duty law enforcement from bringing standard cap mags into the city.

Also, anyone not covered by LEOSA that does not have a valid CA CCW must transport a weapon unloaded, and in a locked container. Unloaded means no round in the chamber, and no full magazine inserted in the mag well. You may actually transport full mags in the same container as the weapon, but most LEOs aren't aware of this fact so if they find out you're doing that you may still be arrested until it gets sorted out by the DA. Locked usually means a padlock of some sort.
    Last edited by j.d.allen; 04-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    To clarify: I will be mailing them from my location in NM or AZ to myself at my residence in FL.

Then I will arrive in CA mag-less, as it were.

I'll collect them in FL upon my return in 4 months or so.

If you only own standard capacity mags for your Glock, and are concerned about using untested equipment such as neutered 10rd mags, perhaps the simple solution is to choose another platform.

What other tested, proven platforms do you have at your disposal?

User Tag List