Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 28-3 Front Sight Question

S&W Model 28-3 Front Sight Question

I picked up this Mdl. 28-3 at my LGS. I don't know much about Smiths but it was the same price as a new blued Ruger GP100 so I took it. I figured some new grips and a FO front sight and it will be good to go. When I got home I realized that the sights were fixed and not removable. Okay, so is it possible to mill in a new aftermarket front sight (if so which brand you recommend) or just leave it alone. I can only really see the front sight if the room is well lit or outside. Thanks for any help!

Nail polish in some day goo color you can see and leave it alone.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Before doing any machine work, it may be worthwhile to try painting the front sight. I use a white base coat and a bright orange top coat. Its made all my revolver and a couple lever action front sights much easier to see in poor light.

Fingernail polish holds up fairly well and is relatively cheap. Maybeline was what walmart had and was a better than "cheapest possible" quality. Their Sweet Clementine No 210 is the bright orange that's worked well on my sights.

Site Supporter
    +1

This is what I do with mine, including a 27-2. Degrease the front sight with rubbing alcohol, one coat of white nail polish, then two coats of an Orange nail polish called Hot Tamale.

Maybeline Sweet Clementine No 210. Man you guys are awesome. I'll leave it alone and paint the front sight. I wonder how cops who carried these thing ever got a good bead on their adversaries in a hurry with any modifications to the front.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Maybeline Sweet Clementine No 210. Man you guys are awesome. I'll leave it alone and paint the front sight. I wonder how cops who carried these thing ever got a good bead on their adversaries in a hurry with any modifications to the front.
    Back in the day I saw several NYPD guns with nail polish on the front sight. Nothing New under the sun.

Maybeline Sweet Clementine No 210...
    That just happened to be the brightest orange they had. The white I got was the brightest white they had. It supposedly makes the top coat color brighter.

I degrease with acetone, but rubbing alcohol is probably as good.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-02-2016 at 10:19 PM.

I go one step further and paint the front sight with fishing lure paint! First coat white and then fluerscent orange! Been doing for long, long time!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I go one step further and paint the front sight with fishing lure paint! First coat white and then fluerscent orange! Been doing for long, long time!
    I'm pretty sure the paint markers in the Fishing lure paint kit at Academy are the same ones in the Birchwood Casey Sight paint kit.

Paint pens from Craft stores and Walmart work too, as do Auto Touch up paint pens and Testors Model paint.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I wonder how cops who carried these thing ever got a good bead on their adversaries in a hurry with any modifications to the front.
    Perhaps the origin of "you won't use your front sight under stress anyway" notions?

Personally I *can't* find the front sight with black on black sights and a black or dark green target, regardless of lighting conditions.

User Tag List