Thread: 357Sig and 1911s ?

Site Supporter

357Sig and 1911s ?

Have any of you guys had anything to do with the 357sig mainly in the 1911 ? How did you find it the round ? Any feeding issues ? Trajectory ? (it looks flat as a string line on paper) Anyone with experience building 357sig guns ?

I ask because for a while I have been thinking of having a pistol built in 357Sig, I have contacted a few people about building one but they don't seem keen.
    They site feeding issues and what not as a reason to stay away from the round... However I do get the feeling they don't have any firsthand experience with 357Sig.

One of the main reasons I am looking at the 357sig round is because of the way the laws are setup over here.
    I shoot IPSC (classic/single stack) and I've been running 38Super, which is a great round but I would like to go to major.
    The problem that I have is, the way the licence classes work, anything over .38 is classed as a hi cal.
    I can own .40 .45 ect, but in the state I live in I can't technically shoot IPSC with a 40/45 (I can shoot it but there is no score recorded)
    However 357Sig is not classes hi cal and I can shoot major with it. So I've been thinking of having a new pistol built.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info around about 357sig/1911, or maybe I've been looking in the wrong spot.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Sig Sauer now makes 1911oids in .357 SIG, you might look around for reviews of that factory gun to see how well the type adapts to the short bottleneck.

My only experience with it is in a Glock 31 but I really like the caliber for the way I have hit with it at 25 and 50 yards (albeit that 31 is a very tight Glock). Back when it was introduced and the the new hotness, it was generally said that it's necked down shape was an advantage for good feeding.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-02-2016 at 07:07 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Massad Ayoob has an article on page 24 of the May/June 2016 American Handgunner on the SIG 1911 shooting .357 SIG. http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...gunner/AHMJ16/

Unless I already had other guns in .357 SIG, I'd not pick a 1911 in that caliber. I'd pick a longer round like the .38 Super or 9x23 Win for the 1911.

I also was interested in either a 1911 or BHP in .357. The gent that posts as a Wilson representative on 1911forums.com has mentioned several times that they could never get one to run reliably in a 1911.

BarSto barrels specifically States "no 357Sig conversions" for the .40 BHP, although I recollect someone else is making conversion barrels. HTH

The .357 SIG and the 1911 are not a good combination. The bottleneck case and short OAL in the 1911 magazine lead to nose diving.

The 9x23 Winchester is a much better choice and that is what I suggest you build; it is what I had built.

It would be no improvement for him.
    IPSC Classic, like most Divisions besides Open, requires .40 caliber or larger for Major power factor.
    But they DO have an exemption for .357 SIG. Through next year, although it could be extended.

Based on above comments, I think the OP's best bet would be a Glock 35 with .357 SIG barrel and all possible improvements to be shot in Standard.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the replies.

The Sig 1911s had crossed my mind, I haven't looked into who is the agent over here but I'd nearly say I'd have to import my own if I went that route. That being said I have seen one Tacops 45 over here so there may be a few more.

Like I said I currently shoot 38super, I really like the round it's easy to load for, components are easy to find and it packs quite a punch. The reason I'm looking to go to something else is so I can shoot major, I can make major with a 38super but IPSC won't recognise it, they score it as minor. The same would be true for the 9x23.
    They say if they allowed 38super to be major in classic a guy shooting the 38Super would have an advantage over someone shooting 40 or 45 due to mag capacity.

Add to that I can't shoot 40/45 for IPSC I'm a bit stuck for calibers if I want to shoot major.
    Last edited by dbateman; 04-02-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Based on the caliber restrictions and the competition rules, the suggestion to get a Glock 35 makes the most sense. I am not familiar with the SIG 1911 in .357 SIG, but I have lots of experience with short OAL cartridges and the 1911. The net result is lots of practice with stoppages.

Do you handload your own ammo ??? If you do not handload I would look at other options , if you do handload the 1911 can work.

I purchased a Storm Lake 357SIG barrel a few years ago and fit the barrel to my Colt Delta Elite. The room to load long opens up other options and allows the use of 9mm profile bullets that will not work in a Glock 35 / M&P / HK 9mm mag length firearms.

The loads that it likes run as well as anything else I own , the loads it does not like not so much.

User Tag List