19 47.50%
  • I Disagree

15 37.50%
  • Not Sure

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ND/AD Is it bound to happen?

ND/AD Is it bound to happen?

I had an interesting conversation recently about law of averages/logic and guns so to speak, that really got me thinking.

The short version was, if you ride a motorcycle long enough you have either had an accident or you will have one. Which is a common notion for motorcyclist's.

So by logic, If you shoot/handle guns long enough you have either Had an AD/ND or WILL have one.

Do you agree or disagree ?

The pure Vulcan side of me agrees with this but, not really sure how I feel, Never say Never

What do you say?
    Last edited by BJXDS; 03-27-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Disagree. I've wrecked some bikes. None were my fault. Shooting isn't a joint exercise so you control everything. Not so much on the road.
    i used to wannabe

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I think the, "There are two types of shooters" speech was the most useful thing someone shared with me when I first started out, and I agree 100%. I remind myself every time I put hands on a firearm, and it helps to keep me focused on safety.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Disagree. The life of a motorcyclist partially depends on the goodwill of other drivers. Short of being killed mid-reset, an unintended discharge is all you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If you count all accidentally fired shots, I say yes. Malfunctioning gun going runaway, learning to shoot big bores and getting avrevolver double, etc. When I first started shooting a 1911 I was used to the CZ and Beretta da/as. I had some accidental double taps instead of single shots when transitioning to the SAO trigger.

No, even though most folks don't start firearm safety as seriously as they should until they have an ND, just like most motorcyclist don't take protective equipment as seriously as they should until they've been in a bad wreck and spend a lot of time in the hospital dealing with avoidable injuries. I shot a TV, I was dry firing, finished, reloaded, got distracted and resumed dry firing. Gun went click really fucking loud and the TV exploded. I take safety a whole lot more seriously now.

Those that have, just have a better sense of the gravity of what they're dealing with.
    Last edited by pablo; 03-27-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Agree.

The more often we handle guns, the more likely we are to make a mistake with one. BUT, the more experience we have, the less likely we are to hurt anyone by doing so.

So far, I've fired off three (ETA: actually four) rounds without intending to do so, but all happened with the gun pointed at a target downrange.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 03-27-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Motorcycles to guns isn't even apples to oranges, it's apples to... I dunno, sea urchins.

I agree that, the more you handle a firearm with live ammo the more likely you re to have an unintentional discharge, but there are too many variables. And, frankly, I think you need to calculate Accidental and Negligent separately.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Motorcycles to guns isn't even apples to oranges, it's apples to... I dunno, sea urchins.

I agree that, the more you handle a firearm with live ammo the more likely you re to have an unintentional discharge, but there are too many variables. And, frankly, I think you need to calculate Accidental and Negligent separately.
    I like this take.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree accidental/negligent are two different things.

I've driven nearly 750,000 miles in less than 15-years. The only accident I've ever had was a woman rear-ending me at a stop light. You can't count for everything, that wasn't negligent on my part, but it was an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you count all accidentally fired shots, I say yes. Malfunctioning gun going runaway, learning to shoot big bores and getting avrevolver double, etc. When I first started shooting a 1911 I was used
    to the CZ and Beretta da/as. I had some accidental double taps instead of single shots when transitioning to the SAO trigger.
    Totally in agreement here. I've experienced at least two accidental slam-fires with two different firearms during my time shooting. I've also experienced the infamous Remington 700 mechanical "remove the safety and have the gun discharge without being anywhere near the trigger" discharge. Fortunately, in all cases, guns were pointed down-range on live ranges, because I was preparing to shoot all of them and following the rules of gun safety kept everyone safe, but they technically count as unintended discharges.

User Tag List