Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero distance for PCC/Subgun?

Zero distance for PCC/Subgun?

Asking for a friend and possibly for my future self as well. He caught the subgun bug and picked up an MP5K clone as well as the Scorpion Evo 3 S1. Intended use seems to be just range stuff and possibly a class or two. I don't think he plans on using them for HD but who knows. Not terribly interested in hearing about how he/we should use rifle caliber SBRs. That being said, for those of you who have run subguns or PCCs in the past, what distance did you zero your optics at and what kind of holdovers would that give you from 0-150yds? I've looked at my own ballistics app on my phone as well as the JBM and neither have pistol calibers in the library. Have not had an opportunity to get them on a chrono yet and don't know the BC. Both are SBRs. Optic is an EOtech MRDS in the low mount.

Sub-question: For those of you who have used them in a Duty context, what ammo did you use/what would you recommend? Assuming feeding is reliable, any issue with using the same type of ammo you'd use in an actual pistol as long as the gun shot it well?

Thanks for the help!

Treat it like a pistol?
    i used to wannabe

Meaning what, exactly?

I guess that was more directed towards the zero question. I'd zero at 20ish yards and check POI changes from 3 to 50. But I guess now that I think of it you have more of an offset due to an optic on top of the gun.
    i used to wannabe

Osborne,

Our Colt SMGs are zeroed for 25 meters. On paper, this means that within 7-100 yards we never have more than 1-3/4" deviation from point of aim.

Bullet drop at 150 is going to be pretty severe.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Osborne,

Our Colt SMGs are zeroed for 25 meters. On paper, this means that within 7-100 yards we never have more than 1-3/4" deviation from point of aim.

Bullet drop at 150 is going to be pretty severe.
    Rad thanks for the info. That's kinda what we were figuring but wanted some insight from the pros with a bunch of experience with the platforms.

I've shot Colt SMGs out to the 200, not that tough to do. For a PCC I'd zero at the 50 and figure out my dope from there, it will change from load to load, such as 147gr vs 124gr +P
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks Chuck! I was hoping you'd chime in.

While this in no way means anything as far as wound ballistics, or much anyway, it does show how much velocity some loads will pick up in the longer barrels.

You didn't say, but I am assuming 9mm...........

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

50 yards/meters
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-27-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List