Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Medical Gear

EDC Medical Gear

Today's horrors in Belgium have driven home that I need trauma gear on me as a "carry" part of my EDC, rather than "near" me in my car. I have the Cleer EDC kit, (thanks, Todd!), but it's a bit big for on-the-belt carry, and I can't guarantee I'll have a spare pocket to stow it in. Is there something out there that's that is approximately the size of a pistol mag which offers some degree of hemorrhage control / trauma response?
    I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Last edited by ST911; 03-22-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Exurbankevin View Post
    Today's horrors in Belgium have driven home that I need trauma gear on me as a "carry" part of my EDC, rather than "near" me in my car. I have the Cleer EDC kit, (thanks, Todd!), but it's a bit big for on-the-belt carry, and I can't guarantee I'll have a spare pocket to stow it in. Is there something out there that's that is approximately the size of a pistol mag which offers some degree of hemorrhage control / trauma response?
    A SWAT-T? I try to always have one on me. Going up a step, I try to carry one of these on me when dress always, and have a few more stashed around.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of those Ryker ankle rigs.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Is there something out there that's that is approximately the size of a pistol mag which offers some degree of hemorrhage control / trauma response?
    A SOFTT-W Tourniquet flat folded is about the closest you're going to get to "pistol mag" size. You'd use it for traumatic bleeding from extremities. There are an ever growing number of pouches to carry one on your person too.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    A SWAT-T? I try to always have one on me. Going up a step, I try to carry one of these on me when dress always, and have a few more stashed around.

I have one of those Dark Angel kits in my blazer that I wear to church, and in my laptop bag for work. Along with certain other life-saving devices.

I have been wearing a Ryker nylon ankle rig for about a month now, and love it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

Do it. It's great.

Kevin, ST911 gave you some good links to check out. There's a bunch of very useful medical threads on the forum. I wanted to address this question specifically:

Is there something out there that's that is approximately the size of a pistol mag which offers some degree of hemorrhage control / trauma response?
    No, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either woefully misinformed or trying to sell you something.

There's not 1 intervention that is applied to all hemorrhages/traumas, unlike video games where you "throw" the med pack at the character and the problem is solved by virtue of it being a small, medium, or large medpack. If you're concerned about trauma from GSWs and blast explosions and what will kill you quickest, you need to have the following capability:

At a minimum:
    -Pack a wound with either fluff gauze or hemostatic gauze
    -Apply a pressure dressing
    -Apply a tourniquet to an extremity
    -Improvise a chest seal
    -manage an airway (for EDC this can simply be the rescue position)
    -treat for shock/hypothermia (for EDC this can be whatever jackets, blankets, or tarps you can find)

Besides the ankle kit I'm currently using, this is my other (belt) solution with a Kahr PM9 for size reference. While wearing this in a suit, my TQ is carried on my wide Perry suspenders. Not shown is a flat "roll" of duct tape, which was added after the picture.

There's other ways to skin the cat, but that's an example of a pretty bare bones trauma kit and how much room it still takes up. If space is really a premium you can forego the pressure dressing and just use your shirt, and just carry a TQ, duct tape and gauze for wound packing.

If I'm not mistaken your CLEER EDC kit should be able to fit in your back pocket like a slim wallet, no?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Playing with TQ's I didn't like the SOFTT-W. I preferred the CAT by far. The SWAT-T was interesting as it would work on small children due to the small limbs. I couldn't see efficient self application.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Ankle carry, spare mag (or flashlight) handcuffs, RATS tourniquet.

http://ratstourniquet.com/

Obvious disadvantages: Tourniquet only, nothing for torso hits, sucking chest wound, etc.
    Advantage: Space efficient, cost efficient.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    At a minimum:
    -Pack a wound with either fluff gauze or hemostatic gauze
    -Apply a pressure dressing
    -Apply a tourniquet to an extremity
    -Improvise a chest seal
    -manage an airway (for EDC this can simply be the rescue position)
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Ankle carry, spare mag (or flashlight) handcuffs, RATS tourniquet.

http://ratstourniquet.com/

Obvious disadvantages: Tourniquet only, nothing for torso hits, sucking chest wound, etc.
    Advantage: Space efficient, cost efficient.
    For your average person with no medical training beyond CPR, I *really* don't like the idea of people buying airway management kits (NPAs, etc). Honestly, beyond management of life-threatening hemorrhage via TQs, I am not sure how much I want someone without at least EMT-B certification to be spending their time managing medical problems vs. getting them to an ED ASAP. Even a sucking chest wound is not something I am sure I want your average person trying to manage pre-hospital...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-23-2016 at 06:11 AM.

User Tag List