Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Optics as an iron sight training technique

Carry Optics as an iron sight training technique

Yesterday, I ended up shooting a G19 MOS with a DP Pro at the beginning of a regular CZ training session. After shooting the red dot, I felt like it was easier to track my iron sights at speed. Repeated it today, using the red dot to train visual attention at my "in the gray" speed. Again, anecdotally it seemed to help.

Anyone else tried this and have an opinion?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My short stint with a RMR was the single best thing I've done for my shooting I believe.
    i used to wannabe

When you are training with an RMR, are you looking at dot first or sights first then dot?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    When you are training with an RMR, are you looking at dot first or sights first then dot?
    It is a DP Pro, and I just left the OEM sights on, so looking at the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yesterday, I ended up shooting a G19 MOS with a DP Pro at the beginning of a regular CZ training session. After shooting the red dot, I felt like it was easier to track my iron sights at speed. Repeated it today, using the red dot to train visual attention at my "in the gray" speed. Again, anecdotally it seemed to help.

Anyone else tried this and have an opinion?
    I have noticed I am more attentive to my sights and how they track after a practice session with the PCC with an Aimpoint on it. I don't find it especially useful, but I do see more of what the gun is doing.
    TY83544

It is a DP Pro, and I just left the OEM sights on, so looking at the dot.
    Try to draw and focus on the sights (as if you would without a dot) and then transition to the dot.

Eventually you will get to a point where you will have sight alignment with the dot being in the right place without fishing.

Focusing on the dot in training can cause training scars.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have an RMR and some Dawson Precision MOS co witness height sights that have been waiting for my MOS to arrive. Kiesler's has had one back ordered for me since January. Frustrating.

Try to draw and focus on the sights (as if you would without a dot) and then transition to the dot.

Eventually you will get to a point where you will have sight alignment with the dot being in the right place without fishing.

VD man, I am not tracking. I am using the red dot to improve my Production class iron sight shooting with a CZ Shadow. I am not fishing for the dot, although I have north of 10,000 rounds thru a RMR In past years. What training scar are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    I have noticed I am more attentive to my sights and how they track after a practice session with the PCC with an Aimpoint on it. I don't find it especially useful, but I do see more of what the gun is doing.
    Talionis, have you messed with a handgun with an optic, or just the carbine?

VD man, I am not tracking. I am using the red dot to improve my Production class iron sight shooting with a CZ Shadow. I am not fishing for the dot, although I have north of 10,000 rounds thru a RMR In past years. What training scar are you referring to?

Talionis, have you messed with a handgun with an optic, or just the carbine?
    I don't know about training scars, but as I'm pretty sure most of us know by now, dot focus instead of target focus is doing it wrong.

I have shot open guns and .22's with dots, but no CO guns. Everything has dot movement though, and switching from dot to irons in the same session has always made me hyper-aware of sight tracking.
    TY83544

How so? What, exactly, kind of scars are you talking about?

I tried the "find the sights first" technique, and ended up playing "find the dot" instead. What fixed me was realizing that I needed to change my grip/presentation; once I made that adjustment, my draw-to-shooting speed decreased noticeably.

I have three RDS-equipped G19s, and have been playing with this concept, on and off, for over five years. Have also been working with others and their pistols, and the one constant I have noticed is this… its a HIGHLY individualized practice.

User Tag List