Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feds blocked from person of interest after San Bernardino attack, lawmakers told

Site Supporter

Feds blocked from person of interest after San Bernardino attack, lawmakers told

For those who still think the FED GOV is a monolith....

By way of background, USCIS is the agency solely responsible for adjudicating applications for immigration benefits and applications for United States Citizenship via naturalization. Unfortunately, the incident below is an isolated incident for US CIS.

Feds blocked from person of interest after San Bernardino attack, lawmakers told

Federal agents who sought to interview a man later charged in connection with the San Bernardino terror attack were not even allowed to enter a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office where he was slated to be questioned a day after the massacre, stunned lawmakers were told at a hearing Tuesday.

On Dec. 3, 2015, just one day after Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik murdered 14 people and injured 22 others at a Christmas office party in the Southern California community, the FBI learned that Enrique Marquez, a friend of Farook’s suspected of supplying the assault rifles used in the terrorist attack, was scheduled for an interview at the San Bernardino USCIS office. The FBI asked Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to intercept Marquez at the facility, but when the ICE agents arrived, they were denied entry, as well as access to Marquez’s file.

Details of the turf battle were revealed at a Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs hearing Tuesday, when Senate Chairman Ron Johnson, R-Wis., questioned directors of both USCIS and ICE.

“This is the kind of mistake that can get people killed."

- Jessica Vaughan, Center for Immigration Studies
    “How can you explain that they would not let Homeland Security agents in the building when they are saying, ‘Listen you could have a potential terrorist here involved in what just happened yesterday in the slaughter of 14 Americans?’” an incredulous Johnson asked. “And they don’t even allow them in the office? How could that have possibly happened?”

USCIS Director Leon Rodriguez replied that the agency operates “under certain protocols” and that the administrator in charge of the San Bernardino office checked with his superiors but somehow screwed up anyway.

“The guidance was to facilitate what Homeland Security Investigations was trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, it all happened so quickly that it was incorrectly perceived that our folks were trying to obstruct what ICE was trying to do,” said Rodriguez. “Do we need to look at our protocols to make sure this is something that does not occur? It may well be something we need to do. But there was never an actual intent to prevent them from doing what they needed to do.”

ICE Director Sarah Saldana said she was initially concerned when her agents were blocked, but told lawmakers there was “confusion” and “chaos” in San Bernardino the day after the attack.

“We had immediate conversations when it came to my attention,” she said. “It was taken care of and clarified immediately. We did get the information we needed.

“We can always do things better, and if we don’t, as I tell my son, learn from the mistakes we make, then shame on us,” she added.

Johnson, who learned of the situation from a letter sent to his committee, said it exposes a “potential breakdown of agencies cooperating.”

“I find it pretty disconcerting to say the least,” Johnson said. “Putting myself in the position of the USCIS, if I had the day after a terrorist attack, I had a team, armed, coming into my office and saying, ‘We believe somebody who is involved in that terrorist attack is in your building, we want to come in,’ I would say, ‘Come on in.’ There would not have been a question in my mind, and yet that is not what happened. It is quite puzzling.”

USCIS agents were investigating Marquez for marriage fraud, stemming from his 2014 union with Mariya Chernykh, a Russian national married to Farook’s brother. Marquez, who is now in jail and awaiting trial this summer, is accused of supplying the guns as well as marriage fraud.

The incident reveals how federal immigration agencies are increasingly hostile to the mission of homeland security, said Jessica Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington-based research institute.

“I was completely flabbergasted to hear that USCIS managers had obstructed ICE agents in the midst of an urgent terror investigation – one that was the worst terror attack since the Boston Marathon bombing,” Vaughan said after watching the hearing. ”I cannot imagine any possible excuse for USCIS to block agents from their sister homeland security agency from making an arrest in a federal building during a terror investigation, nor can there be any good reason to deny them access to the files.

“This is the kind of mistake that can get people killed, and someone needs to be held accountable for this egregious behavior,” Vaughan added.

Both Farook and Malik were killed by law enforcement after their morning attack. Marquez is accused of making false statements in connection with his weapons purchases used in the San Bernardino shooting. Prosecutors also have alleged that Marquez and Farook plotted in 2011 and 2012 to carry out attacks at Riverside City College and on the 91 Freeway.

Marquez has pleaded not guilty to the charges filed against him. If convicted of all counts, Marquez faces up to 50 years in prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...?intcmp=hplnws
    Last edited by HCM; 03-16-2016 at 12:01 AM.

And people wonder why there is concern about building technology for the Feds to crack the newer iPhones......because they promise it won't be abused and they can secure the technology.
    The other issue is accountability. I want to know who got fired over this. I am venturing...nobody.

There are some exceptional folks working in federal law enforcement and various agencies. Unfortunately, for every exceptional one there is almost a requirement for a booger eating moron to balance things out.......and they both have the same chances to be promoted and run things.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    And people wonder why there is concern about building technology for the Feds to crack the newer iPhones......because they promise it won't be abused and they can secure the technology.
    The other issue is accountability. I want to know who got fired over this. I am venturing...nobody.

There are some exceptional folks working in federal law enforcement and various agencies. Unfortunately, for every exceptional one there is almost a requirement for a booger eating moron to balance things out.......and they both have the same chances to be promoted and run things.
    It's been my experience that the booger eating morons move up the chain considerably faster.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

I'd have to disagree. I think the booger-eating moron has a better shot since the exceptional folks working in the biz often career-limit themselves by being the one dude/dudette in the room with balls and brains enough to stand up and tell the rest of the group thinkers why their idea is completely retarded, probably illegal, and is likely to get somebody killed who doesn't need to be. They may succeed at stopping the stupidity but get "not a team player" stamped on their forehead while the bobble-heads in the room get bumped up the chain.

But that's just my opinion.
    3/15/2016

The idea of forcing companies to allow LE to break encryption is a fools errand. Criminals and terrorists already have the ability to build their own encryption that is virtually unbreakable...within a reasonable period of time. I work in the industry and I know these technologies. We actually will put our citizens and our most secure agencies at risk if we force companies to create a hack to get into these devices. Common criminals may not use advanced encryption, but serious criminals and terrorists will just build their own...and it can be built in days. We should always support better and better encryption technologies and apply them in smart ways. There are ways to identify DEVICES and IP Addresses that are being used, and there are ways to disable or block their data connections and networks. THIS is a much better strategy. This technology hack is just another way to try and do this cheaply and easily...but with very little to gain. We need to do what the Israeli's do: Put agents in the field and rely on moles and good old fashioned human surveillance. Yes, it's more expensive but there are also huge advantages to humans observing suspects over hoping to pick up pieces of a conversation and put it together. Hacking device encryption is bad all the way around.
    I had no idea booger eating was that popular.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Criminals and terrorists already have the ability to build their own encryption that is virtually unbreakable...within a reasonable period of time.
    It depends on who's doing the decryption. The NSA has been building backdoors in to encryption for a long time, it's done via flawed random number generation systems.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    It depends on who's doing the decryption. The NSA has been building backdoors in to encryption for a long time, it's done via flawed random number generation systems.
    Agreed, but the technological change is moving at high speed and that includes encryption. From a security point of view we will always be ahead if we continue to be the best at encryption....and thus breaking encryption and finding innovative ways to get the intelligence we need. My point is that we are wasting time and money and focus by this distraction of trying to get companies to hack their encryption.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

It's really not a fools errand if you take the government's view point. It's not about San Bernadino or any of the thousands of other pending cases. It's about pushing an agenda of government supervision into everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    My point is that we are wasting time and money and focus by this distraction of trying to get companies to hack their encryption.
    Cody
    If by "we", you mean the US Govt, I might agree. The US Govt shouldn't be asking or focusing on this.

If by "we", and you mean citizens are wasting time and money fighting the government on this, then I wholeheartedly disagree.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-16-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Okay, so, I agree that they should have let DHS Agents into the building. But if they had this guy in an interview room and were questioning him as part of a criminal investigation, where they were looking to charge and/or indict him, and he is a "person of interest" but not a suspect with a warrant for his arrest in a terrorism case, then DHS can stand in the hall and wait their turn.

The only thing shoe pissing about this particular scenario is the complaints that DHS agents should have the authority to stomp over any pending/active/prior investigations, because "terrorism". I gotta be honest, I would have offered them a chance to detain and interview the suspect, when my CIS agents were completed with their interview, but not before. Period. The person in charge of CIS has a job to do and that is to conduct their investigation.

Its a disturbing day when just saying "terrorism" can cause a panicked frenzy among federal law enforcement. The terrorists are winning.

-Rob

User Tag List